View Full Version : Reggie Jackson calls for "*", HOF ban for steroid users

savafan
05-08-2006, 12:55 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2006/05/08/sp_giants0121df.jpg

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20060508-9999-1s8padside.html

By Jay Posner
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

May 8, 2006

Reggie Jackson doesn't know if Barry Bonds used steroids. But he knows what should happen if it's proved Bonds – or anyone – did.

“They should either asterisk or footnote it in some way,” the former baseball great said yesterday at Petco Park. “I don't know what you do about players that are out of the game, but if there is some kind of conviction, hard evidence, that they find is real, then there should be adjustments made and careers should be affected.”

That includes membership in the Baseball Hall of Fame, to which Jackson was inducted in 1993.

“I think if people are proven guilty to be involved with steroids, then they probably shouldn't be Hall of Famers,” Jackson said. “But until you can prove that, it's just a bunch of speculation. . . . Because a guy's accused or kind of looks the part, that's not reason enough to assume guilt.

“So I think you need data, you need facts. If you get facts, then you can brand, you can make a decision on what you're going to do.”

Jackson was at Petco on behalf of the annual Aflac All-American High School Baseball Classic, which will be played Aug. 12 at Tony Gwynn Stadium (and which he will serve as honorary chairman). At a pregame news conference, he warned young players – including Francis Parker High shortstop Nick Noonan and Mission Bay High outfielder Sequoyah Stonecipher, who were selected for the game – not to mess with steroids.

He also said he was aware of steroid use in baseball “from the late '80s. I think they got a little too commonplace in the '90s.” Among the factors he noted were more injuries and the bigger physiques of players.

The latter has been one factor cited by those who have accused Bonds of using steroids. But Jackson said, “Until they can prove it, prove the fact that he's taken steroids, I think it's unfair to single Bonds out. . . . While I would be totally against it and offended by somebody that cheated, there is no proof. I think we all need to reserve our finger-pointing until there's absolute conviction that this did happen.”

Still, Jackson admitted the steroid cloud over baseball is disturbing. He hit 563 home runs, putting him sixth all-time when he retired. But in recent years Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro passed him. Steroid rumors have dogged all four, although only Palmeiro tested positive.

“I get angry and want to retort,” he said, “but I want to be careful because I don't want people to say, 'Well, he's just another old guy complaining.' But I went from being sixth all-time in 18 months to 10th. So it bothers me. It doesn't affect my legacy. It doesn't affect Willie Mays' legacy as the greatest player of all time.

“ . . . (But) it's part of America. And we're all part of that. When someone goes by that and it's tainted and there are questions, it's even hurt us with the accusations. So there needs to be a definitive quest to find out if it really happened. Then if it really happened, then to do something about it.”

Phhhl
05-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm glad Jackson spoke out. For whatever reason, it seems the media wants to sweep this under the rug, call it a victim-less "crime" and pretend nobody cares. Well, fans do care, including a member of the 500 home run club who's place in history has been compromised. People do care about the integrity of the game. Not everybody, but enough people to make a difference.

From what I have heard, Aaron is not too pleased that the man chasing his record was juicing either. I know this scandal is hurting the game, but who hurt it? The players who took the stuff or the league who allowed it to flourish? Who cares! Fix it!

Red Heeler
05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Mission Bay High outfielder Sequoyah Stonecipher
This guy would be high on my draft board on name value alone.

As for the steroids, it goes right to the integrity of competition. If it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Bonds, Mcguire, Sosa, et al. used them, then all should have their records (*) at the least and removed from the record at worst.

Falls City Beer
05-08-2006, 02:57 PM
This guy would be high on my draft board on name value alone.

As for the steroids, it goes right to the integrity of competition. If it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Bonds, Mcguire, Sosa, et al. used them, then all should have their records (*) at the least and removed from the record at worst.

I dated a girl in college whose last name is Stonecipher. She was willowy and strange.

saboforthird
05-08-2006, 05:07 PM
I can't help but wonder if Mr. October himself tried his hand in steroids. He clearly says that steroids are wrong and that players shouldn't use them, but....

PuffyPig
05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I dated a girl in college whose last name is Stonecipher. She was willowy and strange.

We new she was strange the moment you said she dated you.....:laugh:

dman
05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I can't help but wonder if Mr. October himself tried his hand in steroids. He clearly says that steroids are wrong and that players shouldn't use them, but....
No way. Reggie is right in there with that group of true HoF'ers like Aaron, Mays, etc. Reggie played the game clean and was the type of player that kids dreamed of being.

vaticanplum
05-08-2006, 09:13 PM
My those Phillies fans are colorful.

Unassisted
05-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Good for Reggie. I already respected him, but this moves him up a couple of notches in the esteem category. :thumbup:

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 09:18 PM
What's up with the marlin and astro fan in the middle? :lol:

griffeyfreak4
05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
:clap: for Reggie

Falls City Beer
05-08-2006, 09:23 PM
My those Phillies fans are colorful.

The "P" in the Phillies logo is actually an inverted middle finger.

REDSEER
05-08-2006, 10:03 PM
The "P" in the Phillies logo is actually an inverted middle finger.
How's that??? Don't see it........

Falls City Beer
05-08-2006, 10:06 PM
How's that??? Don't see it........

Squint....

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 10:09 PM
http://www.celebopedia.com/philadelphia-phillies/images/philadelphia-phillies.jpg

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 10:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/philadelphia-phillies2.jpg

I see it :lol:

REDSEER
05-08-2006, 10:20 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

sig
05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Reggie is just jealous that steroids wern't in back in his day.

Patrick Bateman
05-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Reggie is just jealous that steroids wern't in back in his day.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason.