PDA

View Full Version : Couple Reds notes from rotoworld...

Buckeye33
05-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Homer Bailey threw six innings of no-hit ball and struck out 11 Monday for Single-A Sarasota.
He walked one. Bailey is 1-3 with a 3.35 ERA and a 44/10 K/BB ratio in 37 2/3 innings. If Reds manager Jerry Narron has his way, it's likely that Bailey will make his major league debut before the end of the season. He still doesn't figure to contribute in fantasy leagues until 2007 at the earliest.

2005 first-round pick Jay Bruce hit a pair of two-run homers for low Single-A Cedar Rapids on Monday.
Bruce, 19, is off to a very impressive start, hitting .308/.353/.608 in 120 at-bats. He's a few years away, but the left-handed hitter has tremendous offensive potential.

I don't like the line about Narron wanting Bailey to pitch sometime this year with the Reds. Yikes!

dougdirt
05-09-2006, 03:54 PM
I think that rotoworld is overestimating the whole thing with Narron asking about Homer when Milton went down earlier this year.....

traderumor
05-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Fortunately, Narron only can voice his opinion but the man making the decision seems to understand the care that needs to be taken with developing a major league starting pitcher.

OnBaseMachine
05-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Bruce was also mentioned on the Baseball America prospect hot sheet:

Jay Bruce, of, Reds (Low Class A Dayton): Been an offensive force all season, and the homers are coming around, hit three last week.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/hotsheet/261243.html

Joseph
05-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Nice of them to list Cedar Rapids as the Reds low A affilliate. Makes you question any 'insight' they have now.

dougdirt
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Nice of them to list Cedar Rapids as the Reds low A affilliate. Makes you question any 'insight' they have now.

Sometimes they just tend to use the old hot list and switch out names/players/info. There was a similar problem a few weeks ago, just a mistake because someone forgot to edit out some things. They should try proof reading though.

toledodan
05-11-2006, 12:41 AM
with philly bringing the kid up from A ball to face us friday why does everyone doubt that homer couldn't make the move as well. i'm for the kid to have time to develop but if he is good enough why not give him a shot. there are other teams like the braves that aren't afraid to try.

Buckeye33
05-11-2006, 01:04 AM
with philly bringing the kid up from A ball to face us friday why does everyone doubt that homer couldn't make the move as well. i'm for the kid to have time to develop but if he is good enough why not give him a shot. there are other teams like the braves that aren't afraid to try.

The Phils are bringing Hamels up because he's older (22) and has actually pitched above A ball. He has had 3 dominating starts at the AAA level this season.

If Bailey somehow gets to AAA this year and dominates, then bringing him up for 1 start at the end of the year could happen. I would not want it to happen, because the only thing that happens is you start his service time clock.

The Phils know Hamels is a cuurve ball away from not pitching again until next spring training. They want to get as much out of him as they can.

tbball10
05-11-2006, 09:42 AM
The Phils are bringing Hamels up because he's older (22) and has actually pitched above A ball. He has had 3 dominating starts at the AAA level this season.

If Bailey somehow gets to AAA this year and dominates, then bringing him up for 1 start at the end of the year could happen. I would not want it to happen, because the only thing that happens is you start his service time clock.

The Phils know Hamels is a cuurve ball away from not pitching again until next spring training. They want to get as much out of him as they can.

How is he a curve ball away from not pitching until next spring? But I agree with the fact that Hamels is older makes him a better candidate to pitch in the majors than Bailey. Although, I also do not think it would be the worst thing if the Reds brought Homer up for a start. Like someone said earlier, the braves are not afraid to do it, however the Braves rely heavily on the "makeup" of their pitchers meaning that they would be able to handle failure at the majors. It just depends on whether the Reds think Bailey would keep it together if he happend to have a bad start.

dougdirt
05-11-2006, 12:20 PM
But I agree with the fact that Hamels is older makes him a better candidate to pitch in the majors than Bailey. Although, I also do not think it would be the worst thing if the Reds brought Homer up for a start. Like someone said earlier, the braves are not afraid to do it, however the Braves rely heavily on the "makeup" of their pitchers meaning that they would be able to handle failure at the majors. It just depends on whether the Reds think Bailey would keep it together if he happend to have a bad start.

In the last 5 years, here are starting pitchers who were called up at or before the age of 20.
Hayden Penn- Spent part of 2 seasons in AA first.
Felix Hernandez-Spent time in both AA and AAA first.
Matt Cain-Spent time in AA and AAA
Edwin Jackson-made 27 starts in AA first
Scott Kazmir-made 8 starts at AA
Zach Grienke-made 15 starts in AA and AAA
Jeremy Bonderman-made 27 starts in High A
Edgar Gonzalez-made 19 starts in AAA
Carlos Zambrano-made 25 starts in AAA
CC Sabathia-made 17 starts in AA

Notice how everyone except Bonderman made it to AA first and had success? Also, none of those guys were Braves pitchers, so I dont know where you got that idea from. I really just dont see it being any type of good idea to call up Bailey this season.

Buckeye33
05-11-2006, 12:29 PM
How is he a curve ball away from not pitching until next spring?

This is because he is one of the most injury prone prospects in the minors.

2003 - 101 IP
2004 - 16 IP
2005 - 35 IP
2006 - 43 IP

dougdirt
05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
One of those injuries was a broken hand in a bar fight last year. Shouldnt have happened, but in no way was it pitching related. His back on the other hand....

Caveat Emperor
05-11-2006, 05:46 PM
I think that rotoworld is overestimating the whole thing with Narron asking about Homer when Milton went down earlier this year.....

For what it's worth, everything I've heard from people who have connections to this type of information say that Narron was dead serious in his desire to see Homer Bailey in the bigs this year.

tbball10
05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
In the last 5 years, here are starting pitchers who were called up at or before the age of 20.
Hayden Penn- Spent part of 2 seasons in AA first.
Felix Hernandez-Spent time in both AA and AAA first.
Matt Cain-Spent time in AA and AAA
Edwin Jackson-made 27 starts in AA first
Scott Kazmir-made 8 starts at AA
Zach Grienke-made 15 starts in AA and AAA
Jeremy Bonderman-made 27 starts in High A
Edgar Gonzalez-made 19 starts in AAA
Carlos Zambrano-made 25 starts in AAA
CC Sabathia-made 17 starts in AA

Notice how everyone except Bonderman made it to AA first and had success? Also, none of those guys were Braves pitchers, so I dont know where you got that idea from. I really just dont see it being any type of good idea to call up Bailey this season.

Somebody else brought up the Braves organization, who has been known to bring up young pitchers, and not be afraid that it stunt their development (Avery-20, Glavine-21, Smoltz-21, Chen-21, Pete Smith-21, Mercker-21, Davies-22). Also, from what I've read, Bailey will be promoted to AA by mid-season probably. I don't think if Homer started a game in Cincy, it would end his career. I think he would handle it well, and I also think he has the stuff to succeed in the majors.

Mario-Rijo
05-14-2006, 12:37 PM
I am usually a very impatient person about the big club having success. And if Homer could help with that (I'm sure he could) then I wouldn't have a problem with it if the FO didn't. However in this case I am willing to be patient because I look at it this way. Not only should Homer be ready for the jump, but so should the team be in a situation that would create a good environment for Homer to be in. Did anyone see the Arizona game that the Lizard pitched in? Now I am not comparing these 2 pitchers but If the team plays defense like that behind Homer you might as well stick a fork in him. He's not going to K 27 guys a game. Now if the defense improves over the course of this season w/ EE, Lopez & Dunn then bringing him up next year might be the right time.

Just my take but I think you have to create an environment that is condusive to helping a young pitcher and not being detrimental to his future. As much as wondering whether or not he's ready stuff-wise.

dougdirt
05-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Mario-Rijo, the kid isnt getting much help with the defense behind him down there in Sarasota. He has given up 8 unearned runs in 8 starts.

Mario-Rijo
05-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Mario-Rijo, the kid isnt getting much help with the defense behind him down there in Sarasota. He has given up 8 unearned runs in 8 starts.

Point well taken, however he has far more wiggle room in Sarasota than he would have if Pujols, Berkman or Lee were coming up after all that! Stuff can get you through at that level, stuff alone won't help you in the Bigs!

dougdirt
05-14-2006, 01:19 PM
So true....

Marc D
05-14-2006, 05:45 PM

Well he will feel right at home up here then. ;)