PDA

View Full Version : Just in Time: Pink Bats for Mother's Day

TeamBoone
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:01 AM EDT

Just in Time: Pink Bats for Mother's Day
The Associated Press / By BRETT BARROUQUERE

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Hulking Jim Thome. Rugged Manny Ramirez. Brawny Adam Dunn. "The thought of these big macho men, swinging pink bats to help women with breast cancer ... what a novel idea," Louisville Slugger president John Hillerich said Tuesday.

Major League Baseball granted special permission for players to use the colorful bats — baby pink, at that — for Mother's Day. They're part of a weeklong program to raise money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Derek Jeter, David Eckstein and Marcus Giles are among dozens of players who intend to try them Sunday. This is the first time pink has been approved for bats — dyed at the Louisville Slugger factory, they're usually black, brown, reddish or white.

Kevin Mench was among several Texas players who wanted their mother's names burned on the bats. The Rangers slugger, who homered in seven straight games earlier this season, also planned to have a bat for his grandmother, who died from breast cancer.

"My mom is the glue of our family, and I just want to do something to thank her for all that she has done," Mench said before Tuesday night's game against Minnesota. "At the same time, we are raising money for a great cause."

Howard Smith, senior vice president for licensing for MLB, said the idea for the pink bats struck a chord with commissioner Bud Selig and other executives. The question was how many players would use the sticks.

"It takes a big man to swing a pink bat in a major league game," Smith said.

More than 400 bats were being made for 50-plus players. David Ortiz, Jim Edmonds, Mark Teixeira, Michael Young and Hank Blalock were also on the list.

The Louisville Slugger factory started making the bats last week. Players were still placing orders as of Tuesday, and bats will probably be made and shipped overnight until Thursday or Friday.

"The response has been phenomenal," Hillerich said.

The bats posed something of a logistical problem for Louisville Slugger. Each player uses a different model and size, so coloring, branding and shipping them for Sunday's game has been a challenge, company spokesman Dan Burgess said.

Along with the pink bats, players and all on-field personnel will wear pink wristbands and a pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness on their uniforms. The pink ribbon logo will appear on the bases and on commemorative home plates, and the lineups will be written on pink cards.

The bats, along with the home plates and lineup cards, will be autographed by the teams and will be auctioned off later with the proceeds going to the Breast Cancer Foundation.

http://broadband.zoomtown.com/news/read.php?id=14077685&ps=1020&lang=en&_LT=HOME_WINWC02L1_UNEWS

Roy Tucker
05-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I got my wife one of these...

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2250725&cp=1452348.1452720.1485364&parentPage=family

And they also have these...

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2254607&cp=1452348.1452720.880745&parentPage=family

scounts22
05-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow, I think that's phenomenal and also very touching I'm sure for a lot of players. I can't wait to see which players participate with the bats!

vaticanplum
05-10-2006, 12:07 PM
I think it's really, really, really cool that they're doing this and I support it 100%, but man are they going to look ridiculous swinging pink bats.

I can't wait.

cumberlandreds
05-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I think it's really neat that they are doing this.:thumbup:
I just wonder if after swinging a pink bat that Mike Piazza will feel the need to have a news conference to explain that he is heterosexual?;)

smith288
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Not that im against Breast cancer awareness but the pink is overboard. Having the players use pink bats wont make me any more aware about breast cancer than if they wore small ribbons on their jersey.

scounts22
05-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Not that im against Breast cancer awareness but the pink is overboard. Having the players use pink bats wont make me any more aware about breast cancer than if they wore small ribbons on their jersey.

Yeah, but it's a neat way for the players to honor or remember a relative or loved one that's suffered from breast cancer.

minus5
05-10-2006, 02:15 PM
They look like they got washed with the red bats. I hate when that happens.

Unassisted
05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Good charity. Nice gesture. It's even savvy from a marketing standpoint. I'd call it a win-win. :thumbup:

indyred
05-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Great idea..the NHL did this with pink sticks and auctioned them off.......wonder if Louisville Slugger will have some extra made for there gift shop...........may have to swing in there next week

wheels
05-10-2006, 07:08 PM
It's also a really good way to acknowledge the millions of women that are baseball fans.

God love 'em.

RedFanAlways1966
05-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Great idea..the NHL did this with pink sticks and auctioned them off.......wonder if Louisville Slugger will have some extra made for there gift shop...........may have to swing in there next week

The money made from selling the game-used stuff will be a good thing. I would think that one of these bats will be put on display in the Hall of Fame. Things like this are a "first" (MLB is well over 100 yrs. old) and usually will be put on display at Cooperstown. You'd think some diehards or big-time collectors will pay good money for the available items that are a "first for MLB" and part of the lore of the game (hope that isn't overstating it!). It would be nice if casual fans had a chance to buy these items, but if the money is too high for the average Joe it will all be for the good in the end.

CTA513
05-10-2006, 10:51 PM
It sounds like Dunn, LaRue, Lopez & Griffey will be the ones with pink bats... I dont know if that means Griffey will be back on sunday, but they said on the news he would be one of the guys with a pink bat.

redsrule2500
05-10-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't support the idea, they can find other ways to support the cause IMO.

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 12:28 AM
I don't support the idea, they can find other ways to support the cause IMO.

Do you have a reason for feeling this way?

Boston Red
05-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Someone's going to go 4-4 on Sunday with the pink bat, and they're going to have a real dilemna on their hands...bring the pink bat back out on Monday?

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Don't mess with a streak..so yes ;)

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Someone's going to go 4-4 on Sunday with the pink bat, and they're going to have a real dilemna on their hands...bring the pink bat back out on Monday?

Actually, they can't (per this article):

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Reds think pink for Mother's Day
Bat promotion will benefit breast-cancer foundation
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Real men use pink bats.

At least that's what Adam Dunn, Jason LaRue and Ken Griffey Jr. contend.

Those three Reds players are set to swing with pink on Sunday - Mother's Day - when the team plays the Philadelphia Phillies at Great American Ball Park.

The pink bats are part of a promotion sponsored by Louisville Slugger to benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Bats are usually brown or black.

"I think it's a great idea," said LaRue, the Reds' catcher. "It's a way to sponsor a great organization."

Louisville Slugger made 400 of the bats. So far, around 50 major league players have agreed to use them Sunday.

"We haven't had a chance to speak to everyone we'd like to use one," said Chuck Schupp, director of professional sales for Louisville Slugger.

LaRue and Griffey said they see just one problem with using pink bats: If the lumber produces hits, the players won't want to give it up.
"Hopefully, we'll get some hits with them and keep using them," Griffey said.

But Louisville Slugger and Baseball have other plans in mind for the bats. The bats will be auctioned through Major League Baseball to raise money for the foundation.

Louisville Slugger made two bats to each player's specifications.

Many of the bats will be inscribed with the names of the players' mothers or grandmothers.

Stars like the New York Yankees' Derek Jeter and Boston's David Ortiz are participating.

And Schupp said Louisville Slugger is prepared if more players decide to go with pink.

"We made up some generics, also," Schupp said. "Other guys will be able to use them if they want, too."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/SPT04/605110376/1071
Does this mean Griffey will be playing? Nah, just that he'd use one if he could.

Doc. Scott
05-11-2006, 01:19 PM
"Bats are usually brown or black."

Gee, thanks, John.

---
I opened this thread to expect to find Puffy or someone making jokes about the "pink bat" concept. There's just one (thanks, cumberland). So I thought I might link these two bits from Deadspin:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/leftovers/leftovers-a-fit-promotion-172900.php

Put that next to this:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/baseball/shirts-off-boys-172762.php

Okay, I'll stop now.