PDA

View Full Version : Run Felipe Run (Threads merged)

reds44
05-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Seriously what has gotten into him? 4 steals tonight, and 15 on the season. We all knew he had speed, but not this kind of speed. The most impressive part is that he has only been caught 1 time.

I know he didn't go to the WBC to work on some things, but I thought it was fielding not stealing. What has changed between last year and this year?

CTA513
05-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Seriously what has gotten into him? 4 steals tonight, and 15 on the season. We all knew he had speed, but not this kind of speed. The most impressive part is that he has only been caught 1 time.

I know he didn't go to the WBC to work on some things, but I thought it was fielding not stealing. What has changed between last year and this year?

Hes always had the speed he just stopped stealing as much after breaking his ankle in the minors. It looks like he might have finally gotten over that and is now using his speed to help the team.

Dunner44
05-10-2006, 11:01 PM
WOW, 4 SB for FeLo tongiht... I am thouroughly impressed with what he has been able to do stealing bases so far this season. He doens't have Freel's speed or his jump, but he is an instinctive baserunner, and is picking good times to steal. I wonder how much the new first base coach is affecting this teams ability to swipe bags?

Here's Lopez's night:

1st
Felipe Lopez: Ball, Lopez singled to left.
Adam Dunn: Strike looking, Lopez stole second, Dunn homered to right, Lopez scored.

2nd
Felipe Lopez: Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Lopez walked.
Adam Dunn: Ball, Strike looking, Pickoff attempt, Ball, Lopez stole second, Lopez to third on Schneider's throwing error, Dunn popped out to shortstop.
Austin Kearns: Foul, Ball, Kearns singled to left center, Lopez scored.

4th
Felipe Lopez: Strike looking, Ball, Lopez singled to right.
Adam Dunn: Pickoff attempt, Foul, Ball, Ball, Pickoff attempt, Strike looking, Lopez stole second, Foul, Ball, Dunn struck out swinging.
Austin Kearns: Kearns singled to left center, Lopez scored, Kearns to second on left fielder Soriano's fielding error

6th
Felipe Lopez: Pickoff attempt, Pickoff attempt, Ball, Pickoff attempt, Ball, Strike looking, Freel stole second, Pickoff attempt to second, Foul, Foul, Ball, Foul, Lopez walked.
Adam Dunn: Joey Eischen relieved Livan Hernandez, Strike looking, Freel stole third Lopez to second, Ball, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Dunn struck out swinging.

7th
Felipe Lopez: Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Lopez popped out to third.

Every single steal he had resulted in a run except for the double steal with Freel in the 6th. Did his steal in the 1st make or break the run? No, but it sure made the pitcher nervous, and resulted in him giving Dunn a ball to crush. Add to all this the fact that he is 15 of 16... he's only been CS once, and I love what he is doing on the basepaths.

reds44
05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I think Felipe has almost as much speed as Freel does. Maybe he is comfortable with his ankle now. Who knows either way I hope he keeps it up.

Dunner44
05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Crap, you guys beat me to it... I posted a run down of his night, but it took me a while to put it all together, so your thread beat be by a minute: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45985

reds44
05-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Crap, you guys beat me to it... I posted a run down of his night, but it took me a while to put it all together, so your thread beat be by a minute: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45985
Don't worry I am sure someone will merge them.

TheBigLebowski
05-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Felipe is fast becoming one of the best shortstops in the game.

Dunner44
05-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Felipe is fast becoming one of the best shortstops in the game.

Think he could do 20/20? He's obviously well on his was to the 20 SB... His power numbers are down, but then again, we should fix that by just playing him in AZ and letting his speed get him some in the park dingers.

If he regains some of the swing he showed last year, I think he could do a Larkin and get 30/30

reds44
05-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Think he could do 20/20? He's obviously well on his was to the 20 SB... His power numbers are down, but then again, we should fix that by just playing him in AZ and letting his speed get him some in the park dingers.
I think the better question is can he do 30/30.

IMO he will get 20/20 with relative ease.

TheBigLebowski
05-10-2006, 11:12 PM
20/20 appears to be a foregone conclusion.

Think 30/30 is very realistic.

NastyBoy
05-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Felipe's career high 4 stolen bases ties the team record with seven others. Last player to do it: Deion Sanders 4/14/97

I would rather see Felipe steal 30 bases than hit 30 home runs... but if he could do both... that would put him elite company with my favorite Red Barry Larkin who was the first 30/30 shortstop in 1996 and Alex Rodriguez would join the club later in 1998. The only 2 shortstops 30/30 shortstops in MLB history, both of which will be in the HOF some day.

Dunner44
05-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Felipe's career high 4 stolen bases ties the team record with seven others. Last player to do it: Deion Sanders 4/14/97

I would rather see Felipe steal 30 bases than hit 30 home runs... but if he could do both... that would put him elite company with my favorite Red Barry Larkin who was the first 30/30 shortstop in 1996 and Alex Rodriguez would join the club later in 1998. The only 2 shortstops 30/30 shortstops in MLB history, both of which will be in the HOF some day.

I know for a fact the team high is 5, by Ryan Freel.... I remember watching that game, Freel was in the pitchers head all night, and his last 2 steals, the pitcher totally knew they were comming, and he still beat 'em. Plus I saw it in the AP game notes...

Freel swiped a team-record five bases July 27 at Los Angeles.

Superdude
05-10-2006, 11:58 PM
I would rather see Felipe steal 30 bases than hit 30 home runs

I'd much rather him hit 30 homers, but as long as his running game doesn't fall apart, it looks like he will easily cruise to 30 considering he's already half way there and we're just into May. 30 homers is a lot though. I'll say 25/40.

TeamBoone
05-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Add to all this the fact that he is 15 of 16... he's only been CS once, and I love what he is doing on the basepaths.

Felipe's doing a whale of a job!

And, FWIW, that one time he was caught, he was actually safe. They never tagged him, but rather touched the base (you could see about 3 inches of the base between the black glove and Felipe's hand). Too bad because in actuality, he's perfect!

Umpires! Bah!

One more thing... lest we forget, Austin Kearn's had one heck of a night too!!

NastyBoy
05-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Reds website single game records needs to be updated.

NastyBoy
05-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Trivia Question: Who is the last Red to lead the NL in steals?

Boston Red
05-11-2006, 01:51 AM

Gary Redus?

SteelSD
05-11-2006, 02:05 AM

Bobby Tolan with 57 SB in 1970.

The last Red to lead the league more than once was Bob Bescher (1909-1912).

The last person to not lead the NL in Stolen Bases while swiping 80 or more bags is also a Red: Eric Davis in 1986. It has happened only one other time post-1900 when Omar Moreno's 96 Steals were topped by Ron LeFlore's 97 swipes in 1980. Ironically enough, Cinci's Dave Collins finished third that season with 79 Stolen Bases.

Ron Madden
05-11-2006, 04:00 AM
Ahh.. the stolen base.

We all love'em when they work. We all regret it when they don't.

No matter how we look at it the more bases we aquire before making 27 outs helps us to score more runs.

When the odds are in our favore we should roll the dice and take our chances. The odds were with us tonight.

dabvu2498
05-11-2006, 02:01 PM
I like that combination of "old-school" running type players that we have right now as well as the new way of thinking ("Moneyball") type players as well.

medford
05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Question about Felo and his sliding style. I remember when he broke his ankle, I think he was raking in AAA after getting the demotion from the big league club. If I recall correctly, he broke his ankle on a stolen base attempt. This would leave me to believe that he emplyeed the Eric Davis feet first slide approach as opposed to the Pete Rose head first dive that we see now.

Is this indeed the case? Has he changed sliding styles? If so, perhaps this is why we see so many more steals. Maybe he just finally got comfortable going into the base head first.

Just a thought, I'm not positive how he broke his ankle, but it wouldn't seem likely that he'd break it on a slide into a base if he was going in head first.

reds44
05-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Question about Felo and his sliding style. I remember when he broke his ankle, I think he was raking in AAA after getting the demotion from the big league club. If I recall correctly, he broke his ankle on a stolen base attempt. This would leave me to believe that he emplyeed the Eric Davis feet first slide approach as opposed to the Pete Rose head first dive that we see now.

Is this indeed the case? Has he changed sliding styles? If so, perhaps this is why we see so many more steals. Maybe he just finally got comfortable going into the base head first.

Just a thought, I'm not positive how he broke his ankle, but it wouldn't seem likely that he'd break it on a slide into a base if he was going in head first.
I have never seen him slide feet 1st.