PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh prepare for Reds bashing on ATH

reds44
05-12-2006, 05:10 PM
'Why Reds fans aren't showing up to see a 1st place team'

That segment is coming up after the break.

Around the Horn on ESPN.

Matt700wlw
05-12-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm sure the weather doesn't help

Joseph
05-12-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm frankly tired of the excuses I hear on the radio and read in various places. I'm glad someone is making a big deal about it.

TC81190
Mariotti is a fool.

Paige buys lol. Thanks Woody Paige.

RedsMan3203
"Cincinnati Fans, its your move"

guttle11
05-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Idiots, all of them.

Can't trash the team, have to trash the fans.

reds44
3 selling Reds fans
Woody Paige buying

Jay Mariotti makes the best point. Small market teams mean if they fans don't show up, the team won't spend money. He is right, get to GABP!

Matt700wlw
I'm frankly tired of the excuses I hear on the radio and read in various places. I'm glad someone is making a big deal about it.

There's reasons I can't go....otherwise, I would be there as much as I could, rain, cold, whatever.

I love attending baseball games, and I want to go to another one. I was there for game 2...I loved it!

Blimpie
It's rained sideways here for about two weeks now. If those talking heads want to help, they should come to Cincy and work the tarp crew for the weekend. If not, then shaddup....

gilpdawg
That was a good segment. And they are all pretty much right. It should be higher now, but Woody's right, it will get higher later on, if the team is for real.

edabbs44
05-12-2006, 05:18 PM

This definitely bothers me...living in NJ it might be different but I find it weird that there's like max 20k at a game unless it's bobble head night.

And then some fans argue that payroll isn't high enough...SPEND SOME MONEY!

BoCcc2832
05-12-2006, 05:20 PM
I know some people on here can't go to games. I'm one of them, because I'm a college student. But you can't tell me that more people have other priorities as compared to St. Louis (who is a smaller market team in regards to fan location because they are in Missouri). We should be "bosom buddies" with the Reds right now, as Tim Cowlishaw wisely put it. Come on, Cincinnati. Let's show some support (BTW, I'm going to Sunday's game, if anyone wants to harass me about me not going.)

Joseph
05-12-2006, 05:21 PM
There's reasons I can't go....otherwise, I would be there as much as I could, rain, cold, whatever.

I love attending baseball games

I wasn't bashing you Matt, not in the least. I just keep hearing 'Schools not out.' or 'Cincy is a regional draw' [I admit there is validity there, I travel from 3+ hours to the games I can go to] but it's just sad to see night after night a stadium that is 1/3 capacity for a team thats winning.

As I said, I know there is some truth to some of the statements, I just get the feel they are more 'excuse' and less reality.

Gizmo
05-12-2006, 05:21 PM
eh. Cold, wet, school/week night game kept most away, for sure. I wish we did have bigger crowds, but then it'd be even harder for me to get to the few games I can make. For me, it's a money issue. If I had the dough I'd go every night. Instead, I have to pick and choose when I have a few extra dollars.

Damn Mariotti for being mostly right though, I'll also buy Woody's answer. Definately need to support the team when they're doing well or see players go.

Matt700wlw
05-12-2006, 05:24 PM
I wasn't bashing you Matt, not in the least. I just keep hearing 'Schools not out.' or 'Cincy is a regional draw' [I admit there is validity there, I travel from 3+ hours to the games I can go to] but it's just sad to see night after night a stadium that is 1/3 capacity for a team thats winning.

As I said, I know there is some truth to some of the statements, I just get the feel they are more 'excuse' and less reality.

I know you weren't....I just wish I could go more. You all have to pick up the slack for me! :D

edabbs44
05-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I know you weren't....I just wish I could go more. You all have to pick up the slack for me! :D

I'm flying out Memorial Day weekend for 2 games...I wish my flight and hotel expenses went to the team.

registerthis
05-12-2006, 05:37 PM

Yep.

BoCcc2832
05-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Get ready for some more on PTI in about seven minutes

reds44
05-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Get ready for some more on PTI in about seven minutes
I am hoping this one i sabout wins and not fans.

It is over/under

reds44
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes and going to break they say it will be about wins not fans.

CTA513
05-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Have a promotion and sell the tickets for like $5-10 for any seat in the stadium that is not already sold to season ticket holders.

TeamBoone
05-12-2006, 05:51 PM

Well, it may be an excuse but the weather is keeping ME away from this homestand!

I don't enjoy paying to sit in the rain in 40 degree weather... so I won't.

reds44
05-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Bob Ryan says 87 wins

RedsBaron
05-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I believe, without doing any research, that fan attendance is a lagging indicator. Reds fans have been given little but false hopes for the last several seasons, so I'm not shocked that attendance has not immediately skyrocketed as a result of this wonderful start to the 2006 season. If the Reds keep playing well and attendance is still lagging a month or two from now, then there will be more cause for concern IMO.

BoCcc2832
I disagree with Michael Wilbon. He said the Cardinals and the Astros can only get better. That's true to a small extent. The Cardinals have the third best record in the NL and the Astros have the fourth. You can't get much better than that! Sure, it's going to be a struggle to keep with the third and fourth best teams in the league, but with one more pitcher standing up to duty, we can and will make playoffs. That's all we need...one more quality pitcher. And no, Wilbon, Bronson Arroyo IS this good.

guttle11
For those of you tired of excuses, do you go to games? And if you live out of town, would you have the time/funds to attend games and can you be 100% certain that you would go?

CTA513
05-12-2006, 05:59 PM
For those of you tired of excuses, do you go to games? And if you live out of town, would you have the time/funds to attend games and can you be 100% certain that you would go?

If they live out of town they could just buy someone else Reds season tickets and have them attend games for them.

:devil:

Edskin
05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm an out-of-towner with no real ties to the Cincy area, just always been a fan. All I hear from Cincy area natives is how it is this "Great Baseball Town." Well, there are certainly great fans on this board, but overall, attendence this year has been putrid-- and I remember it took a LONG time for people to show up in 1999 as well.

Best Baseball Town? I've yet to see it.

RedsManRick
05-12-2006, 06:02 PM
- Haven't won in years, numerous "false starts"
- Junior has been out
- Spring weather
- Kids in school
- Lack of marquee opponents (faced PIT, FLA, HOU, STL, WSH)

Not trying to make excuses, but if we only draw 18k in July when we're in the race and facing the Cards or Dodgers, then I'll be worried. But when we draw bad on a cold, rainy thursday versus the Pirates with Junior the DL, I can't say I'm terribly surprised.

"Cards and Astros only get better"?
Pujols and Berkman have been the 2 best hitters in the NL to date. Pujols will cool off to mere best hitter in baseball levels (rather than best season ever) and he's been fighting nagging injuries. Chris Carpenter has a 2.21 ERA. Both teams are also highly dependent on a few guys who are already playing well. If something were to happen to those guys, well, see Chicago. Unless Edmonds returns to his old self, I'm not sure I see exactly where StL gets better. Houston will get Rocket, which will certainly help.

I think the Reds are a ~.500 team who got some breaks. Given what I've seen so far, I see a very Philly like team (86 wins or so). However, to suggest that it's just a matter of time for Houston &/or St Louis return to being dominant is just pure folly.

Redsfaithful
05-12-2006, 07:01 PM
If they make the playoffs this year then attendance will be solid next year. Look at the attendance in 1991, for a fifth place team.

Joseph
05-12-2006, 07:12 PM

As stated earlier, I live 3+ hours away, but I do attend about 10 games a year. If I lived in the immediate area I'd say I would probably have some sort of season ticket package. I'm blessed with a wife who does love the Reds as well so it would be easier for me than some. We also don't have kids so I don't have that aspect to deal with either.

My statement was never meant as a personal attack on anyone on the board, fwiw, its mostly directed at the folks I hear on the Cincy area call in shows or the articles I read in the Enquirer etc etc.

edabbs44
05-12-2006, 07:14 PM

I spend about $1500 in hotel, flight and tickets to go to 2 games per year. I would easily have a ticket package and go to plenty of games per year.

bucknutdet
05-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Outside of opening week, and the last 2 nights, the spring here in Cincinnati has been great. The weather has been really nice to attend games. I am going to my 4th game tomorrow. It does get expensive after tickets and parking, add in a little something to eat and you are easily at $50 and thats just for me. If you're going with a family that adds up. I guess you could sit in the cheap seats but if thats the case you get a better view on your TV, in my opinion.

Also, I think that fans know whats coming a little later on this season. I hope that's not starting here in this last week or so. I remember a couple of years ago we got off to a great start and were leading the division and suddenly the bottom fell out. Fans remember that and are skeptical.

That paired with the increasing costs are what is keeping the fans away IMO. The weather has only recently been poor.

bucknutdet
05-12-2006, 11:36 PM
On a side note, I like the day games. I loved that Saturday 12:35 start. But a lot of Cincinnatians were really criticizing the Reds for that one. For me, I hit golf balls that morning than took off for the game. My wife had taken our 2yo daughter shopping or something. So the day was a great break for me as I spend all week caring for her(my daughter). She has also been to two games this year. And BTW has behaved wonderfully at each.

TeamBoone
05-13-2006, 12:42 AM
On a side note, I like the day games. I loved that Saturday 12:35 start. But a lot of Cincinnatians were really criticizing the Reds for that one.

I don't understand what you're saying here... Cincinnatians are criticizing the Reds for that one?

I've lived here for almost 13 years and almost all Saturday home games in April are played during the day... it's certainly nothing new and you'd think they'd be used to it by now.

With as cold as it's been lately, they should probably extend that practice into May. I've been pleasantly surprised that they've even gotten these games in with the miserable rainy weather.

Seems the weather is nice only when the Reds are on the road.

Regarding season tickets... I had them for years and ended up losing a lot of money when I was unsuccessful at selling unused tickets when I was unable to attend games. When they moved into the new park and wanted me to choose my "new" seat before stepping a foot in the stadium, I didn't renew them.

I like the smaller packages but then you're locked into specific game dates. I'm no longer willing (nor can I any longer afford) to eat tickets prices of unsold tickets to games I'm unable to attend.

Topcat
05-13-2006, 03:04 AM
Mariotti is a fool.

Paige buys lol. Thanks Woody Paige.

Woody Paige is a hall of fame Idiot who was run out of Denver. That guy is nothing more than shopping market tabloid crap.

Marge'sMullet
05-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Woody Paige is a hall of fame Idiot who was run out of Denver. That guy is nothing more than shopping market tabloid crap.

I like Woody; he's funny (most of the time). Understand these guys are paid to give their opinion and typically they have to take sides and play devils advocate. I don’t think they even believe some of the stuff that comes out of their mouth. They just throw it out there and hope it strikes of some discussion.

The only thing is that I'm always so surprised about, is how much the national media doesn't know about the Reds or the Bengals for that matter. I'm mean, hello!!! I guess if it's not LA or New York they don't invest too much of their time doing research on the smaller markets.

BTW, I’ve been to 6 games this year. 4-2 as it goes. I would love to go to Detroit and Chicago later this month but I don’t think I’ll be able to.

On a side note, if anyone is thinking about going to Chicago there is this new bus that leaves Cincinnati every night at 6:20 pm from downtown Cincy to Chicago. It’s called the Mega Bus, megabus.com is the only place you can get tickets. Anyway you can get tickets cheap on their bus. When I check out a round trip last week to Chicago it was $15 to Chicago and $8 back. $23 is a great round trip price to and from Chicago, plus the buses are nice new and clean, unlike greyhound.

bucknutdet
05-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Regarding Cincinnatians criticizing the Reds for Sat. afternoon game: A lot of people here in town were criticizing the Reds for the time of that game, heard it on the radio as well as in conversation with people here in town. Many said there is too much going on Saturday afternoon and that if the Reds want to get people to the park on Saturday, nooners aren't the time to have games. I personally liked the time. I guess you didn't here the same as I did regarding this & that is why you are having trouble understanding the comment. :dunno:

edabbs44
05-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Regarding Cincinnatians criticizing the Reds for Sat. afternoon game: A lot of people here in town were criticizing the Reds for the time of that game, heard it on the radio as well as in conversation with people here in town. Many said there is too much going on Saturday afternoon and that if the Reds want to get people to the park on Saturday, nooners aren't the time to have games. I personally liked the time. I guess you didn't here the same as I did regarding this & that is why you are having trouble understanding the comment. :dunno:

What's the problem with a day game? Day games, in my opinion, are great.

bucknutdet
05-13-2006, 10:38 AM
That's what I said. All the games I have gone to this year have been day games.

RED59
05-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Just one fan's reason for staying away, REMEMBER 1994. I sill follow the Reds, but instead of attending 5-10 games a year, I go to a game about once every 5 years.

FeartheEars
05-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I was at the games the past two nights, my first two since coming back from college. I plan on going to at least two more before I head back to Purdue for summer classes in June. If the Reds are still in the race and even if they aren't I will probably come back once or twice for a weekend series. After watching the 11th inning comeback I got a deja vu to the 99 team. Hopefully the Reds can keep it up and hopefully the fans start turning out. I got in free Thursday night because some guy outside the stadium just handed me a ticket, although I was going to get a $4 bleacher seat anyways. And on Friday I took advantage of college night and got an $18 ticket for what was usually $36 and sat behind the Reds dugout. These are great promotions and hopefully once more colleges and high schools start getting out the attendance will start to swell.

TeamBoone
05-13-2006, 01:43 PM
During the 13 years I've lived in Cincinnati, day games on Saturdays in April are the norm... people should be used to it by now.

And that game wasn't a nooner; start time was 1:15.