PDA

View Full Version : Value Over Regular Person

savafan
05-12-2006, 05:11 PM
http://www.insidestl.com/stlsports/dailyredbird.php

Posted By Josh Bacott

For those of you that aren't sabermetrics friendly, a commonly used statistic is Value Over Replacement Player or VORP. It's used to measure the number of runs contributed by a player beyond what would be contributed by an average Major League Player. For example Albert Pujols is roughly 30 runs better than your run of the mill average MLB player or basically anyone on the Royals roster.

For Yadier Molina, he is 11 runs worse than an average player right now. Now some (Tony LaRussa) will lay out the standard Mike Matheny theory of horrible offense - "he's so good w/ the staff and defensively that whatever he gives us offensively is a plus." With that in mind, we here at the Daily Redbird have determined that comparing a player like Molina to an average MLB player isn't fair. Instead we've retooled the formula and come up with a new version of VORP especially for the Cardinals struggling catcher - Value Over Regular Person.

This way we're not comparing him to a baseball player, so much as someone who has never picked up a bat.

This week we're comparing him to (stats below):

http://www.insidestl.com/webpics/stlsports/kip.jpg
Kip Winger, former leader singer of Winger

http://www.insidestl.com/webpics/stlsports/molina.jpg
Yadier Molina, Catcher

STATS

Kip

AVG: .000
OBP: .000
SLG: .000
Songs about a 17 year old girl: 1
Chest hair: Lots
VORP: -10

Yadier

AVG: .168
OBP: .220
SLG: .218
Songs about a 17 year old girl: 0
Chest hair: Unknown
VORP: +10

Based on those stats, it looks like the Cardinals are about 10 runs better off with Molina than if Kip Winger was behind the plate this weekend. Cardinals fans can breathe easy that the offensive prowess of their catcher is slightly better than a 80's Hair Rock star.

Joseph
05-12-2006, 05:14 PM
:laugh: :thumbup:

IslandRed
05-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Funny.

Although someone needs to tell Daily Redbird that "replacement player" is not the same as "average player."

marcshoe
05-12-2006, 10:15 PM
He's selling Kip Winger short. I ran into him in a local mall back when he was "big" (weird thing, he was standing in WaldenBooks reading an article about himself in a magazine--Winger was playing in town that night), and he was wearing a really cool, hand-painted jacket with his name on it. I'll bet Yadier doesn't have one of those. :p: Probably none of the Flying Molinas do.

reds44
05-12-2006, 10:21 PM
hahahahhaahhahaahahaha

KySteveH
05-13-2006, 02:09 PM
He's selling Kip Winger short. I ran into him in a local mall back when he was "big" (weird thing, he was standing in WaldenBooks reading an article about himself in a magazine--Winger was playing in town that night), and he was wearing a really cool, hand-painted jacket with his name on it. I'll bet Yadier doesn't have one of those. :p: Probably none of the Flying Molinas do.
I had a hand-painted front "license" plate for my car with my name on it. My girlfriend gave it to me when I was about 17. I was so cool back then, I son't know what the heck happened!

savafan
10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Right about now I'm wondering if the Cardinals win the World Series with Kip Winger instead of Yadier Molina...

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Kip Winger was a master of playing the open E-string on his bass with his right hand while pointing with his left hand. Let's see Yadier do that.

Well, okay, Yadier could do that. Anyone with two hands could do that.

But they wouldn't look as cool doing it.

Joseph
10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Right about now I'm wondering if the Cardinals win the World Series with Kip Winger instead of Yadier Molina...

Obviously they would have, and they would have swept too.

Heath
10-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Now if Chris Widger was compared to Kip Winger..........