PDA

View Full Version : Wow .. Joe isn't sounding very well? Anyone listening on the radio?

GOREDSGO32
05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Is it just his age (77 years old), or does he have a cold or something, because it sounds like he's out of breath just commentating on the game and breathing really hard and sounds different ....

WVRedsFan
05-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Is it just his age (77 years old), or does he have a cold or something, because it sounds like he's out of breath just commentating on the game and breathing really hard and sounds different ....

Sounds to me like he's got a cold--along with about 80% of the adult population in the tri-state area. Including me, and I live in WV

DropDocK
05-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I dunno but I thought it was Narron at first. Joe probably has a cold.

djsauter
05-14-2006, 04:48 PM
" Fly ball. Homerun. "

Way to go Joe, you made that HR in the 12th sound like a routine pop fly. No emotion. That was awful.

Flyyyy ball, routineee, just outta the infield, griffey coming in..homerun."

2001MUgrad
05-14-2006, 05:23 PM
I thought it was great hearing Marty and Joe back together again. A Reds HR just isn't a HR without Joe in the background Yelling. It really brought back memories.
And what do you want out of Joe in the 12th?? Do you want him to be excited about the Phillies hitting a HR to win the game?? I mean come on. Do you want him to sound like George Grande when Pujulos and Edmonds do something good against the Reds?? I don't.

harangatang
05-14-2006, 05:58 PM
" Fly ball. Homerun. "

Way to go Joe, you made that HR in the 12th sound like a routine pop fly. No emotion. That was awful.
Would you rather Joe have showed emotion when the other team hits a homerun that ultimately wins the game? Did you hear Joe in the background while Marty was announcing when LaRue hit the homerun? You could hear him saying something to the extent of go ball get out of here and he wasn't even on the microphone. He isn't going to show an overabundance of emotion for the opposing team even if he was feeling better.

djsauter
05-14-2006, 08:59 PM
I didn't want Joe to scream and get excited, but heck, you are supposed to show emotion when someone hits a homerun. Your team or not, a homerun gets emotion.

He didn't change his voice at all. It was the most boring sound thing ever. You wouldn't have known the ball wasn't a routine pop fly to the pitcher.

Terrible.

savafan
05-14-2006, 11:50 PM
That is the way Joe has always sounded when calling an opposing player's homerun. I see no reason to expect him to change now.

Larry Schuler
05-15-2006, 01:22 AM
The best home run call ever was Bob Uecker earlier this season in Milwaukee.

In a cool, almost bored voice: "Is this really happening?"

Jr's Boy
05-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Would you rather Joe have showed emotion when the other team hits a homerun that ultimately wins the game? Did you hear Joe in the background while Marty was announcing when LaRue hit the homerun? You could hear him saying something to the extent of go ball get out of here and he wasn't even on the microphone. He isn't going to show an overabundance of emotion for the opposing team even if he was feeling better.

I was feeling Joe's presence on the two would be homeruns.Marty and Joe are still magic together.

RedFanAlways1966
05-15-2006, 07:51 AM
I didn't want Joe to scream and get excited, but heck, you are supposed to show emotion when someone hits a homerun. Your team or not, a homerun gets emotion.

He didn't change his voice at all. It was the most boring sound thing ever. You wouldn't have known the ball wasn't a routine pop fly to the pitcher.

Terrible.

REALLY? Gee, I must have missed reading the "Guidebook for MLB Radio Announcers". Where did you get your copy? And let all of us know your radio broadcasting experience and please give us a link to some of your announcing. Thanks!

cumberlandreds
05-15-2006, 07:56 AM

Terrible.

I have listened to Nuxhall for 35 years. He is the same now as then. He gets very excited when the Reds do something good and less excited when the opponent does something good. If you listen to most other MLB announcers they are very similar. It's your opinion if you like him or not but he is not much different from any other MLB announcer.

MrCinatit
05-15-2006, 08:33 AM
His home run call for other teams has never changed - you can almost feel the pain in his voice, and you surely can hear the disappointment.
Let's face it, the guy is a homer, the guy bleeds Red true and blue - and that is frankly what makes him a great announcer. Listening to him scream his lungs out when he was on the mike when the Reds won (in extra innings - since Marty gets the 9th) - is one of the great joys of listening to older Reds baseball.

registerthis
05-15-2006, 09:41 AM
That is the way Joe has always sounded when calling an opposing player's homerun. I see no reason to expect him to change now.

yep. One thing I've always liked about Joe is his near-comical descriptions of opposing teams HRs.

membengal
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
It was a horribly called game from Nuxhall, no way to sugarcoat it. And, his call on the go-ahead hr was a joke. I was in the car when that one happened, talking with my better half, and had no idea a hr had even been hit until the inning ended and he gave the score as 2-1.

RedFanAlways1966
05-15-2006, 10:28 AM
It was a horribly called game from Nuxhall, no way to sugarcoat it. And, his call on the go-ahead hr was a joke. I was in the car when that one happened, talking with my better half, and had no idea a hr had even been hit until the inning ended and he gave the score as 2-1.

I too was listening to the radio. I did not miss the part where Joe said the ball landed in the grass in front of the batter's eye (probably while Howard was trotting around the bases). No, he did not scream and/or holler when the HR happened. He, like me and the rest of real REDS fans, was probably disappointed and found nothing to go ga-ga over.

Perhaps your wife distracted you, membengal, but that is not a reason to hate on Joe. To portray this story as if he did not mention the fact that the ball went over the fence after Howard hit it is inaccurate.

membengal
05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
I didn't portray it that way. I might have expected a little more from an announcer on a homerun that puts the Phils up than an inflection as if you are reading the ingredients aloud from a cereal box.

And, since I apparently missed the memo where people have to post of late around here like they are measuring genitalia, since you appear to be wanting to get into a "bona fides" debate, I don't see how it is MY fault, after 4 hours of driving back from Cincy, on my way to Memphis, while stopping off in Nashville to buy a new used car since my other one almost literally blew up as I was coming up to Cincy for the weekend, with my wife in the car, that I might get a little more from Nuxhall than what I got. That's all.

And, look. Don't you frickin' lecture me on Nuxhall. I grew up, like most did around here, on Marty and Joe. Five years old and sneaking a radio under my pillow to listen to games back in 1975, well past my bedtime. Summer was Nux on the radio. But those fond memories don't change what it is now. He was terrible yesterday. He didn't get the game across when he was on the mic. And that's not a new thing. It's sad. I miss what was, but I also know that time waits for no one.

Thanks for the lecture though. I needed something to boil my blood on a Monday.

But, hey, when you let me know when I get to join your REAL Reds fan club, I will be the happiest person this board. What a joyful day that will be.

RedFanAlways1966
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
I didn't portray it that way.

But, hey, when you let me know when I get to join your REAL Reds fan club, I will be the happiest person this board. What a joyful day that will be.

Post the facts as they are and there is no problem. Reread your 1st post here as much as you want and interpret how you please, but a lot of people will read that and assume that Joe never mentioned the HR or a 2-1 deficit until the 1/2 inning was over.

I am not lecturing anyone... only setting THE FACTS straight.

membengal
05-15-2006, 10:55 AM
I simply stated that I missed his homerun call. I gave a reason why (talking to my wife). I note that perhaps an inflection from Joe beyond what you might give for a pop-up might have been in order.

I stand by that statement. I also stand by my reponse above.

I don't understand why Nuxhall, who has been wonderful my whole life, is off-limits for observations about how he has deteriorated. He has. It impacts games that he calls. Profoundly. The problems ran all through the game call yesterday, not just the HR.

Yours truly,

Apparently only a "sorta" Reds fan.

RollyInRaleigh
05-15-2006, 11:03 AM
I heard the HR call on XM radio this morning when taking my son to school. Not much different than most of the calls of opponents homers that I have heard Joe make since the late 60's. I listened to some of the middle of the game on XM on my way home from dinner yesterday and had no problem following the game with Joe at the microphone.

RedFanAlways1966
05-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Apparently only a "sorta" Reds fan.

Okay, membengal. That is fine. Perhaps you mis-interpreted my comment about REAL REDS fans (which I consider all who visit here except the occasional opposing fan who joins here) not being excited over an opposing HR. But interpretation is very important on a message board. Kinda ironic considering my interpretation of your 1st post in this thread.

People can bash away at Joe. Just let it be known that Joe did tell the radio-listeners that it was a HR and that it landed in the grass in front of the Batter's Eye before a pitch was thrown to the next hitter. That is a fact and cannot be interpreted in any other way. If someone did not hear that b/c they were in a conversation, then I am glad to let them know this fact.

Joe may not be good at the announcing thing. Some think he never was good. However, as a REAL REDS FAN you must know that he is a legend. And criticizing a legend will bring reaction from other REAL REDS FANS like yourself. It is the nature of the beast... like getting criticized when doing a public job (like announcing).

indyred
05-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I usually don't listen very much on the radio and this being my first year in the area. How often does Joe do radio games anymore. The times I've listened it's always Marty or Steve. First time I heard Joe was yesterday.

Roy Tucker
05-15-2006, 12:15 PM
I did notice that Joe sounded a little out of breath in his first PBP inning.

But as the innings went by, he seemed to regain his old cadence and settled into his Joe groove.

I noticed too that in the pre-game, Joe was more prepared with facts and stats than what he used to be. And his pre-game interactions with Marty was a little more stiff. But I just chalked it up to Marty and Joe having not worked together recently.

westofyou
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
I did notice that Joe sounded a little out of breath in his first PBP inning.If IIRC Joe is a long time smoker, at his age and with that past history he's going to probably sound out of breath ordering a steak.

gonelong
05-15-2006, 12:23 PM
If IIRC Joe is a long time smoker, at his age and with that past history he's going to probably sound out of breath ordering a steak.

<drool> I sound all out of breath when I order a steak too. </drool> :)

GL

PickOff
05-15-2006, 03:37 PM

I completely disagree. I thouroughly enjoyed his call yesterday and not for nostalgia's sake. His voice did seem lower for lung or cold reasons, but that did not adversely affect his call.

IMO Joe brings it back to the basics and really paints a picture for the listener. He allows you to get into the game completely. You are right there with Joe, and you know he is watching the game. His call shows concern for the listener by humbly putting himself out of the focus. Nobody uses silence better than Nuxhall to create anticipation and let you hear the noises of the park, as well.

Needless to say, he is the perfect counterpoint to Marty. A great team.

WVRedsFan
05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
I heard the HR call on XM radio this morning when taking my son to school. Not much different than most of the calls of opponents homers that I have heard Joe make since the late 60's. I listened to some of the middle of the game on XM on my way home from dinner yesterday and had no problem following the game with Joe at the microphone.

Good and accurate post, Randy. I see no difference in Joe since 1967 (I think) when he took over color duties.

You should listen to the XM shows where they compare HR calls by home and away announcers. Some guys simply seem remorseful when the other team hits a HR. At least we know Joe was upset that it happened. "Happy Grande" just screams and yells when the opposition does anything good. One of the many reasons why a lot of Reds fans simply turn down the sound on the TV broadcasts.

TeamBoone
05-15-2006, 07:08 PM
One of the many reasons why a lot of Reds fans simply turn down the sound on the TV broadcasts.

Not anymore; they're not synchronized and you know what's going to happen about 7 seconds before it actually does.

WVRedsFan
05-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Not anymore; they're not synchronized and you know what's going to happen about 7 seconds before it actually does.

Is it that way on over-the-air TV, too? I assumed it was because I watch FSN Ohio on DirecTV.

Yeah, it's a pain, but I still do it just to avoid you know who and the contant tirade of really dumb comments. In fact during the Philly series, I was in the kitchen getting something to eat and came back in right at the end of an inning. George was talking about someone scoring on a sac fly. I was baffled how the Phils could get a runner to third and a fly ball when I left the game with no one on and two strikes on the next hitter. Come to find out, George was talking about another league game while the last out was made -- he just continued on into the commercial break (I have Tivo, so I checked it out).

MaineRed
05-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I heard the HR call in question and I agree with the critism. For me it wasn't so much the lack of excitement as it was the lack of a good description.

If you weren't paying very close attention, you easily could have missed it. I appreciate the guy not going nuts over it and I also enjoy announcers not saying anything at times but you still need to do your job and not sulk. This is radio. You are the eyes and ears of the listener and saying nothing during the most crucial moment of the game just doesn't do it. Now or 37 years ago. It might be Joe's style but that doesn't make it right. It is the radio announcers job to paint a picture of what is happening and at that moment Joe's brush and paint were nowhere to be found. Good announcers do their job no matter what is happening on the field. I don't have much experience listening to Joe but from what I am hearing, Joe only does his job when the Reds are doing well and doesn't do his job when the Reds are doing bad. And on top of it people are accepting of it because that is how others with the same job in other cities behave.

Goes back to what my mom used to always say, if everyone else jumped off the pier, would you join them?

westofyou
05-16-2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.baseballminutia.com/images/nux.gif

Heath
05-16-2006, 12:49 PM
http://www.baseballminutia.com/images/nux.gif

woy - is there a date on that? Looks like the year was 1960 - which I think was Nuxie's worst year on the club.

westofyou
05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
It is 1960, and as Joe said about that year.. I was horse****

Heath
05-16-2006, 12:55 PM

I think he even got booed on "Hamilton Night" that year, IIRC.

The rest of his mates obviously had the same syndrome.

RedFanAlways1966
05-16-2006, 01:09 PM

Joe talked about that rhubarb a couple of weeks ago. He does a little phone conversation with Gary Burbank (WLW) at about 5:55 pm each day. He brought this incident up and said he was glad his teammates had the smarts to grab him and keep him away from Vargo. He did mention that Billy Martin was one of the guys who held him back... which brought jokes from Burbank and crew.

savafan
05-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Nux, Hutch, Billy Martin, Gordy Coleman...I wish I had been alive to see that.

savafan
05-16-2006, 01:32 PM
to buy a new used car

:confused:

Chip R
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Joe talked about that rhubarb a couple of weeks ago. He does a little phone conversation with Gary Burbank (WLW) at about 5:55 pm each day. He brought this incident up and said he was glad his teammates had the smarts to grab him and keep him away from Vargo. He did mention that Billy Martin was one of the guys who held him back... which brought jokes from Burbank and crew.

Isn't that ironic that Billy tried to break up the fight? :lol:

GOREDSGO32
05-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Nuxhall never had any emotion on opposing teams HR's. Not swaying thats good or bad, but he's always been like that. He ordinarily explaims 'a fly ball and its 2-1' or something like that, which I can see why ticks some people off because you think its just an ordinary fly ball or something from the way it sounds, but its a home run. Marty on the other hand on oppsing teams HR does give emotion, not excited as in he's happy its happening, more of a sarcastic emotion. 'And a fly ball Griffey back and its gone. ..... And once again Reds pitching is unable to hold the lead. And you gotta wonder what in the world this guy has any right to be on ANY team in the major leagues'.

LOL thats my favorite Marty call ... when Rick White or another POS gives up a HR, he's pissedl iek the fans are, and says what most are thinking in a nicer tone.

membengal
05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
:confused:

It's new to me, if not new to the world...

registerthis
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
LOL thats my favorite Marty call ... when Rick White or another POS gives up a HR, he's pissedl iek the fans are, and says what most are thinking in a nicer tone.

"And Giles hits a hiiiigh drive (voice raising, adopting a seemingly incredulous tone) and Griffey is looking up and it's 3-1 Padres. Unbelieveable. (Voice lowering, adoptiing sarcastic tone) He just cannot consistently get guys out. It's virtually unbelieveable. Just when you think he's turned a corner. And just like that, San Diego takes a 2 run lead."