PDA

View Full Version : Rich (?) White to stop commuting from Springfield

savafan
05-17-2006, 10:47 AM
I wonder if he's related to Rick :confused:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0517redsnotes.html

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH | Rich White is not going to be a travelin' man every day any more when the Cincinnati Reds are at home, at the suggestion of manager Jerry Narron.

White, a Springfield native, has been driving between Springfield and Cincinnati every day when the Reds are home - an hour and 45 minutes to two hours on the way down and an hour and 15 minutes to go home late at night.

Narron believes that takes too much out of White and White agrees the distractions are contributing to his 6.19 earned run average out of the Reds bullpen.

"We're building a new house in Springfield and I've been involved in that and my two daughters (Alexis, 9; Dakota, 6) are starting softball and I've been helping them," said White.

"They've always told me it is nice to play close to home but that there are a lot of distractions and I found out they're right," said White. "I told Jerry that when we get off this trip I'm getting a place by the stadium and taking the extra stuff off. I hope (general manager) Wayne Krivsky and

Narron stick with me and I'll catch back up."

redsfan30
05-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I hope (general manager) Wayne Krivsky and Narron stick with me and I'll catch back up."
Interesting quote. Maybe they've told him shape or, or hit the road.

redsmetz
05-17-2006, 11:01 AM

I know a number of players who have lived close by commuted to their home, but Springfield's a heck of trek to make when you finish at the ballpark at midnight. That would be like Austin Kearns heading home to Lexington every night.

Where was Jeff Shaw coming from? I know he commuted. I'm thinking it was Washington Court House.

Maybe Griffey can let him stay at his crib!

pedro
05-17-2006, 11:02 AM

I'm sure he's bright enough to know he's on the bubble.

KittyDuran
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
I know a number of players who have lived close by commuted to their home, but Springfield's a heck of trek to make when you finish at the ballpark at midnight. That would be like Austin Kearns heading home to Lexington every night.

Where was Jeff Shaw coming from? I know he commuted. I'm thinking it was Washington Court House.

Maybe Griffey can let him stay at his crib!I think you're right about Jeff Shaw - and Dave Burba was also from Springfield, IIRC and I believe he commuted as well.

edabbs44
05-17-2006, 11:26 AM
That's a great excuse.

SeeinRed
05-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't know that the point of him moving to Cincy is that the drive is the distraction as much as his family and friends are.

flyer85
05-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Narron believes that takes too much out of White and White agrees the distractions are contributing to his 6.19 earned run average out of the Reds bullpen.That is mainly due to an old guy regressing to his career norms after a fluke 2005 season.

Jr's Boy
05-17-2006, 12:10 PM
He's in hot water.

edabbs44
05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't be making any major renovations to my house if I was him...

Ltlabner
05-17-2006, 03:22 PM
This definatley sounds like a guy who knows he's in deep doo and better get his act together. It never helps to have a scapegoat (that darn drive and family) to buy a little more time.

forfreelin04
05-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Rick White is a good guy. I met him as the Springfield Baseball Hall of Fame inductions a couple of years ago. From his speech, I could tell he was a family man. He talked about how he always wanted to play for the Reds since he followed them as a kid and it would allow him to be closer to his family. I think he may be starting to regret that wish now.

timmario66
05-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Maybe he should get an apartment in Covington and walk over to the games to help lose some of that extra weight.;)

danwl
05-17-2006, 06:47 PM
jiminy; I hope my boss doesn't make me move closer to my office or stop coaching my kids' baseball/softball games. 'Course, my ERA is under 6 in my chosen profession ...

butlerbulldogs
05-17-2006, 07:28 PM
taubensee came from WCH as well

jimbo
05-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Maybe he should get an apartment in Covington and walk over to the games to help lose some of that extra weight.;)

:laugh: Now that was funny.

When I read this article this morning, I was stunned to find that this guy was driving that far before and after every home game. I am familiar with Springfield so I know what kind of drive that is. Now don't get me wrong because I am not convinced that White is worth keeping, but I can relate to having to drive an hour and a half to a job. I did it for about a year and it is very draining, and I was a lot younger than White and not overweight.

I hope it makes a difference for him......and quickly.

Heath
05-17-2006, 07:39 PM

Maybe Krono can rent out his extra room.

UGADaddy
05-17-2006, 07:46 PM
I don't know that the point of him moving to Cincy is that the drive is the distraction as much as his family and friends are.

Why aren't friends and family a distraction for every other player on the Reds? Don't the majority of (the ones who have family) live at home, just closer to the city?

Mario-Rijo
05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I can't believe it. Of course I live here in Springfield probably within 10-15 minutes of Rick (I would imagine) and I don't mind the drive now & then but it's takes alot out of me just one trip & back to GABP. I wouldn't wanna do that drive everyday. If he doesn't get it together it's gonna be an even worse drive to Louisville! :rolleyes:

NastyBoy
05-18-2006, 01:23 AM

He could get an apartment in Over the Rhine and run to the stadium.

savafan
05-18-2006, 01:59 AM
After tonight, maybe he won't have to make the drive anymore. ;)

dougflynn23
05-18-2006, 07:54 PM
:) I don't think the drive was so much the issue as his inability to not stop at one of the many Burger Kings he passed to snack on a Triple Texas Whopper and a Frozen Coke every day.

The Reds were the only team who deemed it necessary to offer White an MLB contract. Brad Kullman must have really wanted to make at least one move in his brief tenure as GM. White had a 1.65+ WHIP and the lowest K/9IP ration of any pitcher who threw 60 or more IP in 2005. He was through before he got here.

BoCcc2832
05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
According to my mom, who has White's daughter, Alexis in her third grade class, Rick White has been living in Cincinnati for a while now. I don't know whether to believe her or not, but that's what she says.

TeamBoone
05-18-2006, 11:16 PM
If that's true, I wonder why they're just bringing it up now.

Here's another little tidbit on White. I feel bad for him.

05/18/2006 6:08 PM ET

Notes: White tries to shave ERA
Veteran Reds reliever ditches goatee in effort to curtail slump
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- Nothing else was working, so struggling Reds reliever Rick White was willing to try anything that might improve his fortune.
White showed up Thursday morning having shaved his burly goatee. He said it was the first time he had been clean-shaven since 1998.

"I was sitting here last night thinking, they don't have a mental DL," White said. "They only have a physical DL and I'm not physically hurt. So I just shaved my goatee.

"Guys, when they have a routine, they wear the same shirt and when all of a sudden they don't get any hits, they throw the shirt in the trash. I threw my goatee in the trash."

Brought in to pitch the eighth inning Wednesday, White picked up two outs, but he then gave up a walk and three hits. A 4-2 Cincinnati deficit quickly turned into a 7-2 game and erased hope for a comeback.

In his last five outings, White has allowed eight earned runs over 3 2/3 innings. The 37-year-old has watched his ERA balloon from 4.05 to 7.41, and he had no explanations.

"I've run out of options, seriously," White said. "I've got my mechanics fixed. I'm throwing the ball the way I want to throw the ball. I'm just not getting the results, plain and simple. ... It just seems like things aren't going my way. I've absolutely got no excuses."

A well-traveled veteran, White signed a one-year, $600,000 contract with the Reds over the winter. For the Springfield, Ohio, native, it was finally an opportunity to pitch for the team he grew up watching. Although manager Jerry Narron said he would continue to use White, the right-hander knew he needed to figure things out, and fast.

"It's not like anybody wants to go out and get hit every time they go out there, let alone for the team you wanted to play for your whole life," White said. "Like I told my wife yesterday, I'm [wasting] my dream away."
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060518&content_id=1459996&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

BuckWoody
05-18-2006, 11:45 PM
"It's not like anybody wants to go out and get hit every time they go out there, let alone for the team you wanted to play for your whole life," White said. "Like I told my wife yesterday, I'm [wasting] my dream away."
Golly Ward...I hope we weren't too hard on the Beaver.:)

Seriously, I feel bad for him too. I knew that he had grown up a fan and had always wanted to play for the Reds; I have that in common with him. Here's hoping it all works out for him. Sadly, I'm not banking on it.