PDA

View Full Version : Narron Holds Team Meeting

redsmetz
05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Marc reports on his blog:

Postgame meeting

PITTSBURGH -- Jerry Narron spent several minutes after the game addressing the team. His summary of his thoughts:

"It’s been a difficult week," said Narron. "I think mentally when you just sit around and you don’t know if you’re going to play or the game’s going to get started on time or whatever, we really need to make sure we’re mentally prepared and locked in early in the game. I think that’s something we can do a little better at.

"But I believe in these guys. I know we’ve gotten off to a better start than anybody ever expected, and I think a lot of people expect us to fall off the face on the earth. But I believe these guys are going to keep grinding and battling and at some point we’re going to come out of this thing."

The pep-talk was well-received by the players.

"The message was not to panic," said Adam Dunn. "I thought it was an outstanding meeting. There was no yelling, no screaming, just got to the point. It was good that he kind of reassured everything that we believe. I’m not a big meeting guy, but that was a good one."

Added Aaron Harang:

"It’s a definite grind we’ve had the last week and a half, where it’s been like this every single day. I don’t know if it’s just wearing on everybody, but I think we’re going to be fine. We’ll come back from this, and I don’t think too many of the guys are worried about it. Everybody feels confident in what we have on this team and that we can win. We’ve just got to get that groove rolling again and go with it."

I know some folks dislike Jerry Narron, but he's growing on me (his voice notwithstanding). I like his temperment and his handling of this team.

redsfan30
05-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Sounds like some positive things came out of that room. Hopefully the turn-around starts tonight!

membengal
05-17-2006, 11:05 AM
For the record, both teams have to deal with the weather. Perhaps the Reds could nut up and win the occasional cold weather rainy game...

Joseph
05-17-2006, 11:14 AM
For the record, both teams have to deal with the weather. Perhaps the Reds could nut up and win the occasional cold weather rainy game...

To defend the fellas a little, the Reds have been in this dreary, rainy weather for about a week now. No or little BP, overcast etc etc etc. You know what all the psychologists say about people who live in rainy communities all the time.

savafan
05-17-2006, 11:27 AM
I know some folks dislike Jerry Narron, but he's growing on me (his voice notwithstanding). I like his temperment and his handling of this team.

I'm starting to like Narron more as well. :beerme:

traderumor
05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
I liked the idea of a team meeting, but it seems like he was finding excuses to tell them everything's OK. What about some head games like "Ok, guys, are we for real or not? Now's when we'll see if things have indeed changed around here or if a lot of folks not coming to the games are right--same old Reds."

Just a thought.

dabvu2498
05-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately pep talks don't win ball games.

westofyou
05-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately pep talks don't win ball games.
Fred Hutchinson would disagree.

savafan
05-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Some people aren't satisfied, no matter what.

pedro
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM
This is what Narron brings though IMO. He is a good club house guy and that can really help.

RollyInRaleigh
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM

Fred had an affinity for the light bulbs in the hallway leading to the Reds clubhouse in Crosley Field. Seems they couldn't keep them in the light sockets when the Reds were losing.;)

Even though he could be a bear at times, most all the players loved Hutch and his style.

RollyInRaleigh
05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I haven't made my mind up on Narron yet, but he is growing on me.

westofyou
05-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Fred had an affinity for the light bulbs in the hallway leading to the Reds clubhouse in Crosley Field. Seems they couldn't keep them in the light sockets when the Reds were losing.;)
Apparently he also had the problem of drinking too much during slumps, Pete Whisenant was reaquired by the Reds in 1961 because he was said to be Hutch's guardian during these bouts of depression.

westofyou
05-17-2006, 11:40 AM
BTW all the football fans out there who approach each game like it's a weekly football game should appreciate a team meeting and a talking too... it's very footballesque.

RollyInRaleigh
05-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Apparently he also had the problem of drinking too much during slumps, Pete Whisenant was reaquired by the Reds in 1961 because he was said to be Hutch's guardian during these bouts of depression.

I have read that, before, and often wonder if it didn't have something to do with the cancer. I sometimes think people know that something is wrong before it actually is diagnosed, and it affects their behavior,

On the other side of the fence, there was a lot of heavy drinking that went on in that era.

traderumor
05-17-2006, 11:44 AM
BTW all the football fans out there who approach each game like it's a weekly football game should appreciate a team meeting and a talking too... it's very footballesque.lol, as I was watching another brutal game last night, i was thinking, "ok, last week we were 2-4, so we lose tonight, take the next 2 and at least win a game in Detroit and everyone can come back in off the ledge." Personally, I take the season in weekly increments.

savafan
05-17-2006, 11:51 AM
lol, as I was watching another brutal game last night, i was thinking, "ok, last week we were 2-4, so we lose tonight, take the next 2 and at least win a game in Detroit and everyone can come back in off the ledge." Personally, I take the season in weekly increments.

I like to look at it on a monthly basis. It's a bit easier that way. :)

oneupper
05-17-2006, 11:52 AM
And the answer is 42

http://www.macmonkies.com/Fun/DontPanic_1024.jpg

redsmetz
05-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I liked the idea of a team meeting, but it seems like he was finding excuses to tell them everything's OK. What about some head games like "Ok, guys, are we for real or not? Now's when we'll see if things have indeed changed around here or if a lot of folks not coming to the games are right--same old Reds."

Just a thought.

Quoting Narron:

We really need to make sure we’re mentally prepared and locked in early in the game. I think that’s something we can do a little better at.

I think this is an important message to bring to this team right now, while they're slumping, playing through this junky dreary weather (yes, so is the other team!) - stay focused - keep alert mentally and so on.

indyred
05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Good idea...can't hurt the team......How many times has Narron been out managed this season?.......I know he kinda messed up the Griffey walk off homer game, with some wacky double switches, but win is a win..........

RedsManRick
05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Calling out guys when they aren't making the necessary effort is one thing. Calling out guys when the bounces simply aren't going their way is another. Seems like this was an appropriate message. He wasn't making excuses per se, just stating that there need to be greater focus.

You certainly don't want to scare guys in to pressing more than they already are. When the plane is stalling, you don't pull back as you can. You have to ease it out.

TeamBoone
05-17-2006, 01:16 PM

Have both teams had to deal with the weather as long as the Reds have?

I don't know because I didn't look it up, but I do know that the Reds have not been able to practice outside in over a week.

Not just the rain, but the bone-chilling cold as well.

traderumor
05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
I think this is an important message to bring to this team right now, while they're slumping, playing through this junky dreary weather (yes, so is the other team!) - stay focused - keep alert mentally and so on.
I see where you're coming from, I simply seeing him blame the weather, which is about as much to blame as bad bounces, tough breaks, good pitching, etc. Any number of excuses could be named to explain a good old fashioned hitting slump, so since there really isn't much in the way of rational explanations to lean on, I'd go with the irrational, testosterone inducing appeals ;)

redsmetz
05-17-2006, 01:30 PM
I see where you're coming from, I simply seeing him blame the weather, which is about as much to blame as bad bounces, tough breaks, good pitching, etc. Any number of excuses could be named to explain a good old fashioned hitting slump, so since there really isn't much in the way of rational explanations to lean on, I'd go with the irrational, testosterone inducing appeals ;)

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't think he's laying it solely on the weather. The slump started as I recall out west, crummy weather in Colorado, nice weather in Phoenix. I think he's talking about the mental funk which comes over you (some of which is weather induced - it's so damn bright in my office right now and I don't know what to do!!). I just felt it was diplomatic, it dealt with the team maturely and encouraged them. I don't think you're saying that's too touchy feely, but I think it shows a deft touch at the moment. I suspect Narron's capable of unleashing when necessary, but I don't think now called for it. Tonight? Maybe... :)

Shaggy Sanchez
05-17-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't understand why he had to have a team meeting I thought everyone already knew that reason we were losing was because Griffey came back. It has nothing to do with rain and cold weather.:D

Matt700wlw
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
I was thinking recently a meeting needs to be called....

smith288
05-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Krivsky had to take this poster down after DanO was fired

http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~cdhall/img/Losing.jpg

Ltlabner
05-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Narron has to walk a fine line. I agree that you can't make excuses forever and encourage lackadaysical attitudes, but using the "you guys suck and have to work 500 times harder" for every issue management style went out in the 1950's. I'm not saying baby them, but I think it's a bit early to hit the panic button.

One issue I've noticed since before this slump started (besides injury and the pitching they were facing) is that they've seem to have lost their patience at the plate. Instead of working the count and making the pitcher throw strikes they are hacking away at first pitches and it shows up in lots of pop flys, ground balls, etc. Also, they should focus on getting hits, not launching every ball into the river.

I'm new to the board (3rd post) so this has probably already been talked to death, but I think if Narron pressures them to push harder things will only get worse in terms of hitting.

Now defense...that's another matter altogether!

KronoRed
05-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Bring back the chairs Jerry

VR
05-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Narron has to walk a fine line. I agree that you can't make excuses forever and encourage lackadaysical attitudes, but using the "you guys suck and have to work 500 times harder" for every issue management style went out in the 1950's. I'm not saying baby them, but I think it's a bit early to hit the panic button.

One issue I've noticed since before this slump started (besides injury and the pitching they were facing) is that they've seem to have lost their patience at the plate. Instead of working the count and making the pitcher throw strikes they are hacking away at first pitches and it shows up in lots of pop flys, ground balls, etc. Also, they should focus on getting hits, not launching every ball into the river.

I'm new to the board (3rd post) so this has probably already been talked to death, but I think if Narron pressures them to push harder things will only get worse in terms of hitting.

Now defense...that's another matter altogether!

Welcome to the board!
Frank Pastore was a guy I was always pulling for. With a little offense in the years he pitched, he could have been a 12-18 win guy a few time.
He's got my vote for the hall!

It's nice to see the approach Narron took. There are different levels of team meetings that need to take place during the year, it seems he had a good one, nice responses from Dunn and Harang.

Baseball is such a long haul, and it's easy to assume the young guys know what to do and how to react. As in any business or organization, keeping a clear focus on the goals and progress is the primary responsibility of a leader. Kudos to Jerry.

edabbs44
05-17-2006, 04:29 PM
I was thinking recently a meeting needs to be called....

I think if Narron had to call the meeting it reveals a different problem. There's no true leader on the team. I don't think it takes Einstein (or even Rudy Stein) to figure out these guys have been flat for a while. A player should have took it upon himself to call a players only meeting.

RFS62
05-17-2006, 04:42 PM
It's nice to see the approach Narron took. There are different levels of team meetings that need to take place during the year, it seems he had a good one, nice responses from Dunn and Harang.

Baseball is such a long haul, and it's easy to assume the young guys know what to do and how to react. As in any business or organization, keeping a clear focus on the goals and progress is the primary responsibility of a leader. Kudos to Jerry.

Well said.

:beerme:

forfreelin04
05-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Dunn's not for team meetings but he probably will be up for a few video games before and after the game. Imagine if Lou is hired, I bet he wont be up for being chewed out a couple times either will he?

danwl
05-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey, great job guys! I really appreciate the positive attitude; that's a winner's attitude we got here on this board! We could hang our heads, we could be bummed out that we are dropping like a stone in the standings - but do we? Heck no! We keep battling - when the going gets tough, the tough get going, right boys!?! We're just gonna keep bringing that optimistic, glass-is-half-full attitude to this board every day, try to help the board out, and good lord willing, things will work out! Way to go!

gm
05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
(This thought went through my mind as I watched Harang's throw sail into CF)

The Reds are leading the ML in errors. Jerry Narron's creedo is playing the game the right way. The Red's new owner expects results.

Memo to players...if you'd like Jerry and his coaching staff to stick around, you'd better find a way to make sure the ball meets the glove

Jr's Boy
05-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Well Jason Larue's team captain now.Big shoes to fill since Larkin left.

TeamBoone
05-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Dunn's not for team meetings but he probably will be up for a few video games before and after the game. Imagine if Lou is hired, I bet he wont be up for being chewed out a couple times either will he?

May I ask what this has to do with anything?

KronoRed
05-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Nothing, it's just Dunn bashing as usual ;)

Heath
05-17-2006, 08:36 PM

Fred's attitude was a little more, you could say "fiery" then Jerry Narron.

Tony Cloninger
05-17-2006, 10:48 PM
This is a young team..... and they can get down easy, it seems like. Any adversity seems to get to them and then it's back to "here we go again" attitude (which used to be prevelant with the bad bengals of 1991-02)

The fact that they already may be "mentally tired" in May is a bit disturbing.
The fact that some players, after 3-5 years, seem to not have improved their game at all.... is even more disturbing and deflating.

Falls City Beer
05-17-2006, 10:51 PM
The fact that they already may be "mentally tired" in May is a bit disturbing.
The fact that some players, after 3-5 years, seem to not have improved their game at all.... is even more disturbing and deflating.

This is a good point, particularly vis. the pitching.

tsj017
05-17-2006, 10:57 PM

I must admit that the thought of Adam Dunn meeting Sweet Lou makes me smile.

kbrake
05-17-2006, 11:00 PM

I think Freel is playing videogames while leading off second.

reds44
05-17-2006, 11:02 PM
I think Freel is playing videogames while leading off second.
Freel doesn't seem like a videogame guy. He seems like he would be watching the video game and play drinking games.

red-in-la
05-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Narron's ability to get his message implemented seems somewhat equal to his grammar.

No team should go out on a field with so little aparent idea of what it wants to do.....as this team does.

JR is no centerfeilder anymore...period....this is the Larkin is no SS junk all over again and it is irritating. JR's ZR=statue. Getting a jump and expereince at some point is simply betrayed by a lack of ability to run. Message....move JR to LF permanently....in other words MANAGE.

Dunn is a 1B and needs to work at it hours upon hours a day and needs to be left there...period....MANAGE.

Denorfia needs to play CF. Freel now and then. Do it and stay with it.

LaRue sits against ALL right handed pitchers....period.....MANAGE.

It just seems to me that this team has become tentative because players aren't quite sure who is supoosed to do what.....and players like JR and LaRue are simply not used based on their obvious limitations.

kbrake
05-17-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not even close to being a big team chemistry guy but I dont think it is quite that easy. You are on the verge of have 20 pissed off guys playing for you. I agree Griffey is no longer a viable option in CF, but I think the best thing with LaRue is a trade and you will never get that as long as he sits that much.