PDA

View Full Version : Which pitchers are available for the Reds?

RedEye
05-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Given the number of separate threads debating the relative merits and availability of various starting pitchers, I thought it might be a good idea to start one thread that focuses on this issue. So, here are some pitchers that have been mentioned in separate places recently along with my thoughts on their possible price and my opinions on what circumstances would merit the Reds pursuing them. Please feel free to add any other pitchers' names as they become available. Hopefully this will provide a forum for discussing them together.

Jason Schmidt

I read about him being available on CBS Sportsline. The Giants have apparently indicated they will not seek to extend his contract. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think that Schmidt is exactly the type of pitcher the Reds should pursue. He has been very consistent over the years and seems to have rediscover his velocity. He would make our top three starters (Schmidt, Harang, Arroyo) competitive with almost any other team. If we're still in the hunt by July, I say we give the Giants two or three top prospects for this guy. He's what we need.

Dontrelle Willis

I think I've counted at least five or six different threads about this guy, so I'll be brief. He's on a sinking ship in Florida, and all indications are that he will be traded. I was skeptical about him until last night, but then I saw the gem he pitched against Atlanta in a no decision. He is young and probably the most expensive alternative out there, but the Reds would be getting back a long-term answer at #1. They'd clearly have to give up a ton. I'd guess Florida would ask for Kearns and Bailey to start.

Carlos Silva

He's been demoted to the bullpen and has been ineffective this year. He is, however, a fantastic control pitcher (9 BB all of last year) and would probably slot in as a #3 or #4 in our rotation. Someone on the Carlos Silva thread brought up that he gives up a lot of balls in play, which is not a good thing when we've got EdE and Felipe on the left side and Dunn and Griff in the outfield. However, I can't see that he'd be any worse than Williams or Milton at the end of the day... and he might be much better than they are. Word is he also throws a lot of ground ball outs, which might be a boon in GABP. If we can give up just a little to get him (Mercker and Dumatrait?), this might be a worthwhile acquisition.

Joe Mays

Unlike Silva, this guy has not been close to effective recently. He was just cut by KC and there are rumors on CBS (again, thanks to another thread) that the Reds are interested. This scares me, but the good thing is that we won't have to give anything up to get him except some pocket change. Might be a worthy risk, but I'm not excited about it.

Aronchis
05-17-2006, 04:36 PM
None, I think you have beat this around already.

RedEye
05-17-2006, 04:39 PM
None, I think you have beat this around already.

None? You mean there are no pitchers available this year?

Or perhaps you mean that this thread is too redundant with other ones. In that case, sorry folks! Feel free to delete it...

redsmetz
05-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Joe Mays

Unlike Silva, this guy has not been close to effective recently. He was just cut by KC and there are rumors on CBS (again, thanks to another thread) that the Reds are interested. This scares me, but the good thing is that we won't have to give anything up to get him except some pocket change. Might be a worthy risk, but I'm not excited about it.

If they look at Mays, I think it will be on a minor league deal and put him down at Louisville.

Carin4Narron
05-17-2006, 04:58 PM
If the Reds stay in it until the end of the month. If I was the owner, I would shock the baseball world and go after Clemens hard. He is about the only starter out there that's worth getting.

redsfanmia
05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Another week like this last one and I think the question is going to be which pitchers/players we are going to jettison for prospects.

kyle1976
05-17-2006, 06:18 PM
If the Reds stay in it until the end of the month. If I was the owner, I would shock the baseball world and go after Clemens hard. He is about the only starter out there that's worth getting.

The Reds have as much a chance of getting Clemens as Griffey does playing every game for the rest of the year......zippo.

kyle1976
05-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Schmidt and Willis would be great additions, but unless the Reds are certain they can sign them to a multi-year contract I don't think it'd be worth it to give up some top prospects, especially Bailey, for a half a year. I think Bailey will be pitching for the Reds sometime next year, probably late next year. He will not be traded unless we are guaranteed World Series rings.

I'd like them to get Willis because he is a legit #1 starter, despite his struggles this year, but only if he'll be here for years to come. I think he'd return to last year's form if he was in the playoff hunt again. Florida's terrible, I wouldn't want to pitch for them.

Heath
05-18-2006, 11:07 AM
There are plenty of pitchers available for the Reds.

Problem is that all the good ones are taken or dead.

Unless Shirley McLaine can channel Cy Young, we've got what we got and there are reasons why there are FA pitchers.

dfs
05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
He's gonna be a free agent at the end of the year. He's on a team going no place fast. Have to think sooner or later the cubs will recognize they are toast and try and deal Maddux.

You know...their outfield is a train wreck.....It would be a decent fit for Denorfia.

KoryMac5
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Kansas City released Mays for a reason he simply can't pitch well at the mlb level anymore. He has only had one good year with Minnesota and that looks to be the exception to the norm. Believe me when I say this I have seen Dave Williams in action and Joe Mays is no Dave Williams he is worse. Lets face it the Reds have too many holes in the machine to smooth them over with Bondo and filler which is what Mays is.

BEETTLEBUG
05-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I saw Twins sent down Kyle Lohse down could we maybe try to get him he is not too costly.

Hondo
05-19-2006, 11:38 AM
What about Kerry Wood??? He has worn out his welcome in Chicago, and is Rumored to be on the Block. Texas teams, mostly the Rangers want to get him with his local ties...

Didn't Mays win 12-15 Games for Minnesota one year???

JaredRoberts.com

Highlifeman21
05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
What about Kerry Wood??? He has worn out his welcome in Chicago, and is Rumored to be on the Block. Texas teams, mostly the Rangers want to get him with his local ties...

JaredRoberts.com

And didn't Jimmy Haynes win 15 for us a few years back?

MattyHo4Life
05-19-2006, 02:43 PM

He won 17 games 2001, and that was the only year that his ERA was below 5.00. Matt Morris won 21 games that same year, but that was a long time ago, and Morris isn't the same pitcher he was then either. A lot of things change in 5 years.

flyer85
05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Mays blew his arm out after his good season and has never been the same. If the Royals thought there was some upside they would have kept him around.

Gallen5862
05-19-2006, 11:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
New York Mets Designated pitcher Jose Lima for assignment.

This might be worth a look to help our Bullpen.

Patrick Bateman
05-19-2006, 11:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
New York Mets Designated pitcher Jose Lima for assignment.

This might be worth a look to help our Bullpen.

If you don't like our current stuff, you wont like Lima.

Outshined_One
05-19-2006, 11:47 PM
If things get bad enough with the Cubs, guys like Greg Maddux, Wade Miller, Scott Williamson, Ryan Dempster, Scott Eyre, and Bobby Howry could be shipped off. Kerry Wood has a No Trade Clause, for those of you wondering.

reds44
05-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Dontrelle Willis

I think I've counted at least five or six different threads about this guy, so I'll be brief. He's on a sinking ship in Florida, and all indications are that he will be traded. I was skeptical about him until last night, but then I saw the gem he pitched against Atlanta in a no decision. He is young and probably the most expensive alternative out there, but the Reds would be getting back a long-term answer at #1. They'd clearly have to give up a ton. I'd guess Florida would ask for Kearns and Bailey to start.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-sar...la-sports-front

Waiting for Willis

FoxSports.com and MLB on Fox's Ken Rosenthal, reporting on possible suitors for Dontrelle Willis:

"A large gathering of scouts witnessed left-hander Dontrelle Willis' return to form in Atlanta on Wednesday night; the scouts' section was `packed,' according to one baseball official in attendance. The Marlins have yet to signal their willingness to trade Willis, but clubs are preparing for the possibility. Contenders with deep farm systems would stand the best chance of acquiring Willis. Include the Red Sox, Braves, Rangers, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Angels, Braves, Blue Jays and Mets. All are expected to be interested."

Rosenthal doesn't think we are interested.

kyle1976
05-20-2006, 12:21 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-sar...la-sports-front

Rosenthal doesn't think we are interested.

I'm interested in Willis, does that count? Trading Bailey and Kearns for Willis would be idiotic. I think Bailey and Kearns are long-term players. How about Claussen, Eddy, and Bergolla for Willis? And Denorfia. And Valentine.

Patrick Bateman
05-20-2006, 12:24 AM
I'd trade Kearns well before I dealt EdE.

We have EdE under control for 6 years (including this one) while we have 3 (including this one) years of Kearns. EdE will be cheaper than Kearns over the long haul and will be harder to replcae IMO. I wouldn't include EdE in any trade for just Willis. I think he has more value to us.

kyle1976
05-20-2006, 12:40 AM

We have EdE under control for 6 years (including this one) while we have 3 (including this one) years of Kearns. EdE will be cheaper than Kearns over the long haul and will be harder to replcae IMO. I wouldn't include EdE in any trade for just Willis. I think he has more value to us.

How can you say you'd rather trade Kearns when your name is Austin Kearns....lol?? I understand where you're coming from though. I think Eddy has great potential, but I think Kearns is and will be a better all-around player. It'll all come down to money though....who knows what will happen?

reds44
05-20-2006, 12:45 AM

Agreed 100%. It is hard to find a 3rd baseman with the potential of EE. It is much easier to find an OF then 3B.

kyle1976
05-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Agreed 100%. It is hard to find a 3rd baseman with the potential of EE. It is much easier to find an OF then 3B.

That's a fact. I hope they don't try to switch positions for Eddy despite some early struggles this year on the field. I also hope they keep both of them.

reds44
05-20-2006, 12:52 AM
That's a fact. I hope they don't try to switch positions for Eddy despite some early struggles this year on the field. I also hope they keep both of them.
Agreed. Kearns is a rare commodity on this team, a good defensive player that isn't terrible at hitting. One of the few two way players the Reds have right now. Eddy could develop into a solid defensive 3rd baseman, and I agree they have to give him 3 years min. before even thinking about moviong positions.