PDA

View Full Version : The black hole in centerfield

savafan
05-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Watching tonight's game brought me to tears. Angry, stinging tears. Junior just can't play defense in centerfield anymore. I finally admit it, and I think I'm the last one to realize it before the Reds' management and Junior himself will eventually realize it. It's sad, balls that a centerfielder should be getting to, catching or at the least diving for, are dropping in front of him for basehits. I'm not going to go so far as to say that Junior is the reason the Reds are losing five games in a row, but his defense surely isn't helping solve the problem. Surely, someone more important that all of us here on Redszone has to have noticed this, right?

KronoRed
05-18-2006, 02:50 AM
Narron and Krivo must have noticed, they apparently don't want to do anything about it though.

BuckWoody
05-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Yup, there were a couple of balls last night that I thought he definitely should have gotten to. The instincts and the glove are still there but his legs are just shot. He doesn't have the quick start like he used to and has lost the ability to accelerate to the ball once he does get going.

A lot of folks on here have clamored for him to move to first but I wonder how much of a strain that would put on his hamstring having to stretch for balls every night. Regardless, he would certainly be a vast improvement over Dunn at first defensively.

kbrake
05-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I have tried. Anyone catch my yelling match with Furman last wensday about this very subject? I was the first caller of the night before the game and we got into it pretty good. He said I had no clue and that Jerry Narron would know much more than I as to if Griffey cant play center anymore.

cumberlandreds
05-18-2006, 08:40 AM
You're preaching to the choir,SAVA. He should be in left if not 1st base. Junior should realize this and make the move himself. But like most great athletes he doesn't want to come to grips that he getting old and can't do the things he used to. This is where Krivsky needs to come in and talk to him and start nudging him in that direction. If Krivsky is not already doing this then it needs to start now.

edabbs44
05-18-2006, 08:49 AM
You're preaching to the choir,SAVA. He should be in left if not 1st base. Junior should realize this and make the move himself. But like most great athletes he doesn't want to come to grips that he getting old and can't do the things he used to. This is where Krivsky needs to come in and talk to him and start nudging him in that direction. If Krivsky is not already doing this then it needs to start now.
Forget nudging...how about telling? I wonder if he will be the DH in Detroit this weekend. Their OF is huge and it could get really ugly.

WMR
05-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Forget nudging...how about telling? I wonder if he will be the DH in Detroit this weekend. Their OF is huge and it could get really ugly.

The upcoming AL series will be an interesting litmus test of who is really 'wearing the pants' in this clubhouse and on this team.

JR should be the DH every game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and please save this crap, "I can't hit if I'm not in the field." JR can adjust, it's time someone forces him to if he's not willing to address the need for those changes himself.

Cooper
05-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Blasphemy!!!!!

Falls City Beer
05-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Surely, someone more important that all of us here on Redszone has to have noticed this, right?

Someone more important than us at Redszone? Perish the thought. :)

indyred
05-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Hopefully next spring training the switch is made. I see him riding out he rest of this season in center.....

redsfan30
05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I too have finally realized it. It's painful to say, but he can't play centerfield anymore.

CincyReds2003
05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
I have tried. Anyone catch my yelling match with Furman last wensday about this very subject? I was the first caller of the night before the game and we got into it pretty good. He said I had no clue and that Jerry Narron would know much more than I as to if Griffey cant play center anymore.

I don't think Furman knows what the heck he is talking about it. He just likes to hear himself talk. Especially last night when he said leadership doesn't mean anything in baseball. Whatever Furman!

WMR
05-18-2006, 11:13 AM
I wish furball would go back to New York. He probably couldn't cut it in the big apple.

CincyReds2003
05-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I wish furball would go back to New York. He probably couldn't cut it in the big apple.

I thought I would never say this, but Tracy Jones makes more sense that Furball! I like his Friday night chats with the drunks. :D

TeamSelig
05-18-2006, 12:09 PM
You seriously cried over it? ....

savafan
05-18-2006, 12:20 PM
You seriously cried over it? ....

well, maybe that was my allergies. :cool:

KronoRed
05-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Benadryl

and JR to left ;)

kbrake
05-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah Furman is an idiot. I bet you almost anything Griffey will be in center all 3 games, at least 2 for sure this weekend.

NJReds
05-18-2006, 03:48 PM

I don't ever remember him in NY in the first place.

LetsGoReds11
05-18-2006, 04:20 PM
There were a few balls I believed Freel could have gotten to in centerfield if Griffey wasn't there. Freel was in left field the other night and he tracked some fly balls that other left fielders could have not gotten to. The reds announcers even commented on his ability to track down the fly balls. Freel has great acceleration and speed that will help him track down fly balls alot better then Griffey can nowadays in centerfield. Griffey needs out of Centerfield pronto

jimbo
05-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I have no problem with the idea of moving Griffey to first, but not during mid-season. Griffey played first for a few innings early in his career in Seattle but that's been it. I see it as an option for next season though.

Griffey has lost a little in the outfield due to his age, but I still think he is an above average centerfielder.

edabbs44
05-18-2006, 05:53 PM
The question is, which Griffey has better range in CF?

This one...

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~haug0099/griff2stst.jpg

or this one?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f1/Baseball_ken_griffey_jr_2004.jpg/250px-Baseball_ken_griffey_jr_2004.jpg

reds44
05-18-2006, 06:09 PM
I have no problem with the idea of moving Griffey to first, but not during mid-season. Griffey played first for a few innings early in his career in Seattle but that's been it. I see it as an option for next season though.

Griffey has lost a little in the outfield due to his age, but I still think he is an above average centerfielder.
COF is his position (preferable LF). Griffey would be a GREAT defensive LF because if he gets to it, he is a lock to catch it. His problem is range.

Fullboat
05-19-2006, 12:04 AM
How bout Jr in RF?I know kearns has played CF before his young and good with the
glove.Dunn is less dangerous in LF then 1B from the recent games I've seen.

NastyBoy
05-19-2006, 03:56 AM
I reviewed the game and the only plays that had any affect on the outcome of the game was the Reds 1B misplay of the pitcher's Perez "base hit" and an incredible defensive double play turned in by the pittsburg pirates.

Topcat
05-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Griff needs to be a DH thats a fact. His love of Cinncinati is one thing but now he needs to pad his great legacy. This reminds me of Ray Bourque as a bruin they traded him as a favor to the Av's for nothing special but Ray got his Ring and shined in the Stanley Cup playoffs. I truly believe the Red's should talk to griff and send him to a serious contender and at most take back only reasonable prospects (bare in mind I would ask more if they wanted the reds to absorb salary, then ask far more). My point is Griff has to know deep inside his bat is his only valuable ability on the field now.