PDA

View Full Version : Weathersby cleared

CTA513
05-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing the Bengals inviting him to mini camp for a work out.

Weathersby cleared
By GEOFF HOBSON
May 18, 2006

Posted: 5:20 p.m.

More than two years after doctors said he miraculously pulled out of a 10-day coma, former Bengals cornerback Dennis Weathersby has been cleared by doctors to play football again.

An NFL source that regularly deals with teams said Thursday that Weathersby is reportedly back up to 205 pounds and is interested in returning to the league after appearing in just four games as a rookie in 2003 before a near-fatal car accident.

Weathersby suffered a severe head injury in an April 12, 2004 wreck in suburban Cincinnati in which the car he was driving slid off a rain-soaked road and slammed into a utility pole.

After missing all of the 2004 season, doctors concluded that Weathersby wasn’t healthy enough to play football and the Bengals released him on March 11, 2005.

It’s doubtful Cincinnati would re-sign him at this point. Since the Bengals selected Weathersby in the fourth round out of Oregon State in 2003, they have traded for a Pro Bowl cornerback (Deltha O’Neal), and drafted one in the first round in Johnathan Joseph and another in the second round in Keiwan Ratliff.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5263

remdog
05-19-2006, 06:47 AM
I can't remember all of the details but wasn't Weathersby first shot in a gang drive-by in Long Beach, CA (the reason he fell to the 4th round) but still drafted by the Bengals? He recovered from that but then came the accident.

For all of the bad luck this guy has been through I really wish him well in hooking on with an NFL team.

Rem

Danny Serafini
05-19-2006, 09:13 AM
That's right. Mistaken identity hit. He lost a lot of blood and was weakened for a long time as a result, that's why he fell in the draft and wasn't ready for the start of the season, he needed time just to build his body back up.