PDA

View Full Version : One-hitter follows no-hitter for Cueto

OnBaseMachine
05-19-2006, 08:57 AM
One-hitter follows no-hitter for Cueto
Dragons pitcher leads off a doubleheader sweep over the Wizards with 5-0 win at Fifth Third Field.
By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

DAYTON — Earlier Thursday afternoon, Spanish-speaking Dominican Johnny Cueto took an English lesson from teacher Lois Spetter.

Later, the Class A Midwest League Dayton Dragons' right-hander gave a lesson in pitching to the Fort Wayne Wizards.

"He's interested, and he's learning," Spetter said about Cueto's English.

"He was outstanding," Dragons manager Billy Gardner Jr. said of Cueto's pitching.

With outfielder Jay Bruce providing most of the offense with a homer and two-run triple, Cueto (pronounced Qweto) pitched a seven-inning, one-hit shutout as the Dragons beat the Wizards, 5-0, in the first game of a doubleheader at Fifth Third Field.

Dayton's Zach Ward nearly matched Cueto in the second game, settling for a 4-3 victory after allowing only one hit through five innings. Two Fort Wayne runs in the sixth were credited to Ward, who left with two out and two on.

Rain, which canceled Wednesday's game, held up the doubleheader's start and stopped play for eight minutes during the first game.

Only a two-out, fourth-inning double to center by Will Venable ruined a perfect game for Cueto, who pitched a rain-shortened, five-inning no-hitter at Wisconsin in his previous outing Sunday.

"I don't want any more hits after the double," Cueto said when asked what he was thinking when Venable doubled. In two games covering 13 innings against Fort Wayne, Cueto has allowed only two hits. "I want to do this with every team," he said.

Prior to the double, Cueto pitched 8 2/3 consecutive innings without allowing a hit. In the no-hit game, he also walked two and had one runner reach on an error.

Thursday, no other batter reached base with Cueto making two acrobatic plays — once nabbing a bouncer behind his back.

"He was in control," Gardner said. "He has mound presence and poise."

Third baseman J.D. Reininger provided the big hit in Game 2, a two-run double in the fourth. The Dragons added necessary runs in the fifth — driven in by Mike DeJesus — and in the sixth.

"Starting pitching set the tone," Gardner said. "It's easy to lose two and hard to win two. This was probably Ward's best performance of the year."

Dragons tales

• Spetter, retired district coordinator of English as a second language for Huber Heights schools, worked with several Spanish-speaking Dragons in 2004 and was hired again by the parent Reds to teach Cueto and improve outfielder Gerardo Cabrera's English.

Both players are from the Dominican Republic, but Cabrera spent two years in Miami, and he can speak and understand English. He translates for Cueto.

• Venable is the son of former Reds outfielder and Dragons coach Max Venable, who now is a coach for Fort Wayne.

• Until the Wizards scored two runs in the sixth inning of Game 2, the Dragons had not allowed a run through a season-best 13 innings spanning three games.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/daily/0519dragons.html

traderumor
05-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Wow, Cueto's star is rising fast, hopefully he's not just another shooting star.

OSURedLeg
05-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Wow, Cueto's star is rising fast, hopefully he's not just another shooting star.

What are you talking about? He has obviously regressed between his last two outings, going from no hits to one hit. I think they need to let him sit out a start or two, it sounds like he's got dead arm right now. ;)

savafan
05-20-2006, 05:56 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060520/SPT04/605200330/1071

Johnny Cueto, a 20-year-old right-hander, had another spectacular outing for Single-A Dayton Thursday. He pitched seven innings of one-hit ball in a 5-0 win over Fort Wayne. He struck out seven and walked none.

He didn't allow any hits in a five-inning stint in his last outing.

Cueto is 4-1 with a 2.93 ERA. He has allowed 23 hits in 40 innings. His most impressive stat: 52 strikeouts and six walks.

"He was throwing up to 95 (mph)," said director of player development Johnny Almaraz. "He was still at 91, 92 at the end."

Cueto might get a bump to high-A Sarasota.

"If he continues to dominate the league, we'll move him," Almaraz said.

Cueto, one of the first graduates of the Reds' new academy in the Dominican Republic, is 5 feet 10 and weighs 192 pounds.

"He's a strong-built kid," Almaraz said.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Thanks for posting that sava.

Cueto is my favorite Reds prospect at this moment. Not only does this kid have great stuff, but he is also producing on a very consistent level. If he can continue to dominate then I have no problem if they bump him to the pitcher friendly Florida State League.

Hopefully the Reds academy in the Dominican Republic can continue to pump out gems like Cueto.

Aronchis
05-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Cueto should stay in Dayton unless he goes through a period of long term domination. 20 is the proper age level for Dayton, his development is on track.

Caveat Emperor
05-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Does anyone in Dayton have a read on this kid in terms of projectability? I know he's undersized, but does he throw multiple pitches for strikes or just lean on a dominant fastball?

He's not worth getting excited over, IMO, unless he's got something resembling a decent breaking ball or a secondary off-speed pitch.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Does anyone in Dayton have a read on this kid in terms of projectability? I know he's undersized, but does he throw multiple pitches for strikes or just lean on a dominant fastball?

He's not worth getting excited over, IMO, unless he's got something resembling a decent breaking ball or a secondary off-speed pitch.

I've heard multiple times either through fans on here or announcers on the radio say that he has three very good pitches that he can throw for strikes. That's why I am excited about Cueto - he has the stuff and he consistently performs well. Let's all hope he can stay healthy and continue to dominate throughout his minor league career.

BigREDSfaninKY
05-20-2006, 11:58 PM
I don't see a problem moving him to Sarasota, IF, he continues to master at Dayton. Sounds like he needs a bumb up in competition if he's this dominate.

Anyone else envision Pedro Martinez with this kid. Both about the same size. For those that have seen him, does he have the same kind of movement on his fastball or is it a straight liner?

dougdirt
05-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I havent seen him pitch, but I have heard he has some movement on his fastball. Not sure how much, but maybe someone else can chime in.