PDA

View Full Version : If you're interested, Womack signed a ...

flyer85
05-19-2006, 10:49 AM
minor league deal with the Cubs.

edabbs44
05-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Isn't it awesome how the Cubs have turned into the Reds of the past few years?

Joseph
05-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Hang em up Tony. Goodness.

Heath
05-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Problem is, he might be starting by the end of next week.

Look out vaticanplum, your apartment complex is getting crowded.

TheBigLebowski
05-19-2006, 11:52 AM
While I'm definitely glad to have BPhil here over Womack, Tony was not awful during his short stint as a Red.

RollyInRaleigh
05-19-2006, 11:59 AM
I talked to Tony at the little league field on Wednesday night. He seemed very upbeat and has been really involved with his son's team since being released. He's a real nice fellow.

It was interesting that he showed up at last nights game wearing a Cubs cap. Makes sense now.

KronoRed
05-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Guess they don't need Todd Walker now :D

RichRed
05-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Wait, I thought DanO worked for the Brewers, not the Cubs. ;)

dabvu2498
05-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm not... interested, that is.

Ltlabner
05-19-2006, 04:42 PM
According to a buddy in Chicago, the cubs have four 2b's in the roation today at various postions. With the additon of Womack, it does sound like DanO is behind the sceens doesn't it?

I have to admit, I sorta liked Womack and though he could have been a decent utility guy if the situation was different (like, we didn't already have 6 other "utility" guys). Plus, I got the fealing he was told he was the guy at 2B by our boy DanO and he totally got the shaft.

fisch11
05-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Nope, not interested. Ha!

oneupper
05-19-2006, 07:31 PM
The Cubs have a .672 TEAM OPS. Womack fits perfectly!

BRM
05-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Tony may be getting called up this weekend.

MIAMI -- It wouldn't be surprising to see Tony Womack show up at Wrigley Field this weekend as the Cubs' starting second baseman against the Atlanta Braves.

"I'm hearing good reports on him,'' manager Dusty Baker said Wednesday. "I'm hearing he is playing pretty good. We'll address that when I get home. It's not a bad option.''

The Cubs are off today, and Baker and general manager Jim Hendry could have Womack in the house by Friday. The 12-year major-league veteran was in Class AAA Iowa's lineup Wednesday night in Sacramento, Calif., which is familiar turf to Baker.

"I talked to people out in Sacramento [on Tuesday], and they told me Womack was playing good,'' Baker said. "They said he wants to play good enough to force me to call him up. That's fine with me.''

What makes Womack look even better is that Jerry Hairston and Neifi Perez have given no offensive spark when they've started at second while Todd Walker replaces the injured Derrek Lee at first base.

Walker has started at second only five times in the Cubs' last 14 games, with the other starts going to Perez or Hairston. The starting second basemen are a combined 6-for-44 in that period with two runs scored and two RBI.

"It's been a tough spot, yeah,'' Baker said.

Womack batted .467 with an RBI and three stolen bases in his first five games with Iowa through Tuesday. The Cincinnati Reds released Womack earlier this year, and he could be on the Cubs' roster before the Reds open a series at Wrigley on Monday.

LINK (http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cubnt25.html)

Red Leader
05-25-2006, 12:44 PM
and he's already made an "impact"

Sacramento first baseman Daric Barton, one of Oakland's top hitting prospects, will be out for a minimum of six to eight weeks after suffering a fractured radial head of his left elbow during an on-field collision with Tony Womack of the Iowa Cubs on Tuesday.

Barton, one of three players acquired in the December 2004 trade that sent Mark Mulder to the Cardinals, was batting .259 with two homers and 22 RBIs in 43 games for the River Cats at the time of the injury

savafan
05-25-2006, 01:05 PM
and he's already made an "impact"

Sacramento first baseman Daric Barton, one of Oakland's top hitting prospects, will be out for a minimum of six to eight weeks after suffering a fractured radial head of his left elbow during an on-field collision with Tony Womack of the Iowa Cubs on Tuesday.

Barton, one of three players acquired in the December 2004 trade that sent Mark Mulder to the Cardinals, was batting .259 with two homers and 22 RBIs in 43 games for the River Cats at the time of the injury

Tony Womack does the little things.

LincolnparkRed
05-25-2006, 01:08 PM
So would that mean Dusty might actually send Neifi out to pasture. Point blank who would you rather have Neifi or Tony. Personally I would think Neifi because he can at least be tolerable at SS.

BRM
05-25-2006, 02:42 PM
So would that mean Dusty might actually send Neifi out to pasture. Point blank who would you rather have Neifi or Tony. Personally I would think Neifi because he can at least be tolerable at SS.

Why not have both? Neifi at SS, Tony at 2B. It's so Dusty-like.

Z-Fly
05-25-2006, 02:48 PM
According to a buddy in Chicago, the cubs have four 2b's in the roation today at various postions. With the additon of Womack, it does sound like DanO is behind the sceens doesn't it?

I have to admit, I sorta liked Womack and though he could have been a decent utility guy if the situation was different (like, we didn't already have 6 other "utility" guys). Plus, I got the fealing he was told he was the guy at 2B by our boy DanO and he totally got the shaft.

Utility?!? :eek: I don't believe he has the arm anymore to play anywhere but second base. I know he played a little outfield for the Yanks but he would not be a good option there. That was a terrible trade for the reds. He would only be good for a team that had no other option at second base.

RichRed
05-25-2006, 03:48 PM
I told my Cubs fan buddy about this and he said, "You know what? He can't do any worse than what they already have."

Add one more to the list of people who underestimate the power of Tony Womack.

vaticanplum
05-25-2006, 03:56 PM
In other shocking news out of Chicago today, Kerry Wood may miss his next start.

KronoRed
05-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Tony Womack does the little things.
That's good, because he sure doesn't do anything good on a baseball field ;)

captainmorgan07
05-25-2006, 04:11 PM
In other shocking news out of Chicago today, Kerry Wood may miss his next start.
wow thats' a shocker to everybody lol

MartyFan
05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Just noticed the Cubs purchased Womacks contract from AAA

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/transactions