PDA

View Full Version : How will Obrien be remembered?

cincy jacket
05-22-2006, 09:30 AM
The other thread about Obrien and the Casey deal got me thinking. I know most people have a negative view on Obrien for the deals he made and the signings he made, but in 5 years how will people remember him? Will he be remembered for drafting Wood, Bailey, Bruce, and Cueto or will the Casey, Womack, and Reitsma trades paired with the Milton signing be how he is viewed. I'm just as glad as anyone that he is gone because I think he had no clue how to run a Major Leauge club. But I think in 5 years Obrien tenure might not have turned out as horribly as we think it is right now if 2 or 3 of the above players pan out. Now I am fully prepared for the rath of Redszone for saying something nice about Obrien just be nice remember I'm a newbie:thumbup:

Heath
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/search.php?searchid=110313.

That's how he's remembered. Start reading. Take notes.

edabbs44
05-22-2006, 09:33 AM
The other thread about Obrien and the Casey deal got me thinking. I know most people have a negative view on Obrien for the deals he made and the signings he made, but in 5 years how will people remember him? Will he be remembered for drafting Wood, Bailey, Bruce, and Cueto or will the Casey, Womack, and Reitsma trades paired with the Milton signing be how he is viewed. I'm just as glad as anyone that he is gone because I think he had no clue how to run a Major Leauge club. But I think in 5 years Obrien tenure might not have turned out as horribly as we think it is right now if 2 or 3 of the above players pan out. Now I am fully prepared for the rath of Redszone for saying something nice about Obrien just be nice remember I'm a newbie:thumbup:
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/kilauea/erupt/24ds331_M.jpg

Jr's Boy
05-22-2006, 12:15 PM
25 Million wasted on a flyball pitcher in a fly ball park.Thats how he'll be remembered.

traderumor
05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
I remember him as a clueless beneficiary of nepotism.

I vote for the nickname Spalding. Like Al Spalding, you ask?

No, more like

http://www.carlspackler.com/archive/cs_146.jpg

Sorry for the derail, but I think we have a better look alike for Weathers than Tackleberry. Check out this, that is Spalding Smails
http://www.crandallonline.com/work/lycos/famous/barmon.jpg

Krusty
05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Dan O'Brien is the son of Dick Wagner.

dougdirt
05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
It all will depend on how Bruce, Bailey, Wood and the likes turn out.

Even if they all turn out good peices in our future, some people will still hate him.

M2
05-22-2006, 01:56 PM
O'Brien was as over his head anyone I've ever seen in the game of baseball. That his "legacy" is already down to a few kids in A ball just a three months after he got canned screams about the kind of incompetence he brought to the table.

pedro
05-22-2006, 01:57 PM
who?

redsrule2500
05-22-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm still baffled at the reason he was hired in the first place. He did bad w/ the Rangers, so bring him onto the Reds. GOOD IDEA!!!!! (SARCASM)

I could have done a better job than him.

savafan
05-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm still baffled at the reason he was hired in the first place. He did bad w/ the Rangers, so bring him onto the Reds. GOOD IDEA!!!!! (SARCASM)

I could have done a better job than him.

He got the job because he showed he had plans that could save the Reds money. Unfortunately, he didn't have any plans on how to build a winning ballclub.

CaiGuy
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Hopefully he won't

Joseph
05-22-2006, 02:15 PM
It's no often in the world of MLB people are rememberd for who they drafted, so even if all the kids turn into stars at the big league level, DOB will still be remembered by most as an overly wordy and seemingly incompetent GM who was best suited to be a scout.

Ltlabner
05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Normally I wouldn't reply while I'm working, but this thread got my attention. I think he'll be remembered as a guy who

(1) analyized every decision to the last detail, mostly because he was afraid of making a decision that was wrong
(2) liked to use "bandaid" rules to deal with more complicated issues...ie. don't swing at the first pitch no matter what rule
(3) who apparently wanted to offer nothing to get big names, and expected the world in return to give up his. The end result is all the good starting pitchers were gone and we got stuck with Milton in a panic.
(4) who didn't listen very well to his subordinates. DeAngilo Jimenz, Anderson Muchado, et al.
(5) who loved to blame his "baseball people" when things didn't go well instead of stepping up and taking responsibility

He may well be a nice guy, but he was definatley in over his head, and the results showed. Kriv has done more for the team in 5 months than DanO did the entire time he was here.

As someone else said, that the entirity of his "legacy" is tied up in a few players, very low in the minors, so shortly after his departure speaks volumes.

15fan
05-22-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm convinced that in his previous life, DanO was the Captain of The Titanic.

Caveat Emperor
05-22-2006, 02:26 PM
2004:
Traded Chris Reitsma for Bubba Nelson and Jung Bong (Both no longer with the club -- Reitsma now closing for ATL)
Signed Corey Lidle -- dealt for two minor league outfielders of no conseqence
Signed John Vander Wal -- waived after 1 year of DL time
Signed Todd Jones -- dealt for Josh Hancock (gone to StL) and Anderson Machado (likely a career minor leaguer / utility infielder)

2005:
Signed David Weathers -- Decent move that has partially paid off
Signed Ben Weber -- never pitched effectively in the majors that season
Signed Eric Milton -- paid $28 million for a guy with a degenerative knee condition that can't ptich
Signed Ramon Ortiz -- you all know his story
Signed Joe Randa -- dealt for Travis Chick and Justin Germano (Chick may be something, but Germano isn't)
Traded Jose Acevedo to COL for Alan Simpson (wash)

Oh yeah, and a lot of Jason Romano those two years. Leads up this as his overall ranking:
http://er1.org/docs/photos/Disaster/Hindenburg%2001.jpg

flyer85
05-22-2006, 02:35 PM
akin to Mrs. O'Leary's cow

15fan
05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
FWIW, Reitsma as a closer is making Weathers look like Mariano Rivera.

So far in '06, Chris has gone 18.2 IP and given up 14 runs, all earned.

That's a 6.75 ERA, for those of you keeping score at home.

If you like to roll the dice & buy low, I bet Reitsma could be had for pennies on the dollar right about now...

We now return to the Dan O'brien bashing.

edabbs44
05-22-2006, 02:54 PM
2004:
Traded Chris Reitsma for Bubba Nelson and Jung Bong (Both no longer with the club -- Reitsma now closing for ATL)
Signed Corey Lidle -- dealt for two minor league outfielders of no conseqence
Signed John Vander Wal -- waived after 1 year of DL time
Signed Todd Jones -- dealt for Josh Hancock (gone to StL) and Anderson Machado (likely a career minor leaguer / utility infielder)

2005:
Signed David Weathers -- Decent move that has partially paid off
Signed Ben Weber -- never pitched effectively in the majors that season
Signed Eric Milton -- paid $28 million for a guy with a degenerative knee condition that can't ptich
Signed Ramon Ortiz -- you all know his story
Signed Joe Randa -- dealt for Travis Chick and Justin Germano (Chick may be something, but Germano isn't)
Traded Jose Acevedo to COL for Alan Simpson (wash)

Oh yeah, and a lot of Jason Romano those two years. Leads up this as his overall ranking:
http://er1.org/docs/photos/Disaster/Hindenburg%2001.jpg

FYI...Lidle also got us Elizardo. I'll give that trade a win right now.

REDREAD
05-22-2006, 03:13 PM
The worst GM the Reds ever had. Even worse than Wagner.

MartyFan
05-22-2006, 07:01 PM
who?

BoydsOfSummer
05-22-2006, 09:03 PM
He caused me to get my one and only post-warning-thingy after that Tony Womack trade. If I'd said all I wanted to say in that post I'd have been banned! :lol: My warning guage at 20% will be his legacy. What a maroon.

Mario-Rijo
05-22-2006, 09:27 PM
I had hoped to forget him, unfortunately it won't be easy w/ uncle Milty around!

KronoRed
05-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Binders
http://www.cardinalbrands.com/assets/i/Cardinal-LL/EO-SuperLife.jpg