PDA

View Full Version : Enquirer: Narron had no quarrel with the way Weathers pitched

Benny-Distefano
05-22-2006, 09:47 AM
From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Narron had no quarrel with the way Weathers pitched.

"David Weathers pitched better than everyone gives him credit for," Narron said. "If you're going to let them tie it up on a home run, you want it to be to the opposite field, make him earn it."

:laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I almost spilled my coffee reading that one. Yeah, way to make em EARN those game-costing homeruns, Tackleberry.... :rolleyes:

flyer85
05-22-2006, 10:28 AM
of course that opp field HR was on a pitch above the belt and in the middle of the plate. Weathers doesn't have a pitch to get LH hitters out and is in trouble whenever he elevates his 88-90 mph fastball.

Heath
05-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Dear Jerry Narron -

Curtis Granderson hit that home run. To Left Field. In Comerica Park. Where it is 345 feet away from home plate.

This isn't Al Kaline. Or Kirk Gibson. Or Hank Greenberg. Or Mickey Tettleton. This is Curtis Granderson.

flyer85
05-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Dear Jerry Narron -

Curtis Granderson hit that home run. To Left Field. In Comerica Park. Where it is 345 feet away from home plate.

This isn't Al Kaline. Or Kirk Gibson. Or Hank Greenberg. Or Mickey Tettleton. This is Curtis Granderson.... and it was awful pitch location.

Heath
05-22-2006, 10:55 AM
... and it was awful pitch location.

Doubleday's 7th Law of Relief Pitcher-dynamics.

MrCinatit
05-22-2006, 10:59 AM
IMHO, this team will never be a serious contender as long as Narron as it the helm.
Just my two cents.

traderumor
05-22-2006, 11:05 AM
David Weathers, the only reliever in the history of baseball to give up a two-out game tying home run on a poorly located pitch in the bottom of the ninth to a hitter with an unfamiliar name.

And word is that when/if we have a "closer," he will cough up some one run leads, also.

flyer85
05-22-2006, 11:10 AM
David Weathers, the only reliever in the history of baseball to give up a two-out game tying home run on a poorly located pitch in the bottom of the ninth to a hitter with an unfamiliar name.

And word is that when/if we have a "closer," he will cough up some one run leads, also.Weathers is what he is. A decent middle releiver who can eat some innings. Hoping he would be more than that is folly but he is not the problem. He can be very effective in the proper role. The problem is that the bullpen has a number of guys without much of a reason to occupy a major league.

The real issue is that if Narron hadn't run Coffey out there Friday with a 5 run lead he would have been available to pitch Saturday. Narron needs to be called on the carpet for the asinine decision to pitch Coffey on Friday.

Roy Tucker
05-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Weathers is a good relief pitcher, but not a great one. He just isn't the classic hammer out of the bullpen. I think he is somewhat mis-cast as a closer and is probably better suited as a set-up 7th/8th inning pitcher. But, to trot out a cliche, he's a pro and will take the ball if you hand it to him.

He has an average fastball that he changes speeds and location with. Most of the time he has success with it. Sometimes he doesn't.

In the longer look at things, Todd Coffey is better suited as a closer stuff-wise. I think Narron/Hume/etc are grooming him for that role but are doing it slowly. And that's OK with me.

But I don't know what "earning it" means. It was a little flukish, but the guy got enough bat on it for it to carry out opposite field. Which in my book is a pretty good hit.

UK Reds Fan
05-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Weathers is what he is. A decent middle releiver who can eat some innings. Hoping he would be more than that is folly but he is not the problem. He can be very effective in the proper role. The problem is that the bullpen has a number of guys without much of a reason to occupy a major league.

The real issue is that if Narron hadn't run Coffey out there Friday with a 5 run lead he would have been available to pitch Saturday. Narron needs to be called on the carpet for the asinine decision to pitch Coffey on Friday.

Bingo...To use Coffey up by 5 in Friday's game was not necessary. In those times, I would love to see more of Belisle and save Coffey for 1-2 run situations instead of burning him up in those type games.

flyer85
05-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Bingo...To use Coffey up by 5 in Friday's game was not necessary. In those times, I would love to see more of Belisle and save Coffey for 1-2 run situations instead of burning him up in those type games.if the Reds didn't have any other releivers who could hold a 5 run lead then that is a sure indication ... that they need different relief pitchers.

UK Reds Fan
05-22-2006, 11:43 AM
I don't think our pen is a strength, but we have Coffey at sub 1.00 era, Weathers, Merk and Belisle all in the mid 3's in era. I think Hammond has been much better since the opening 3 weeks of season...hoping he can pull a Weathers ala 2005 and be very respectable despite a poor start.

I just don't see why Narron can't give more shots to Weathers, Merk and especially Belisle in those situations not to mention Shack when it is just a lefty instead of burning up Coffey on games where we are in control.

It appears from Krivsky in the minors, he is eyeing Dumtrait, etc.. as potential bullpen guys this season.

flyer85
05-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't think our pen is a strength, but we have Coffey at sub 1.00 era, Weathers, Merk and Belisle all in the mid 3's in era.Mercker has been MIA for the season and Belisle, considering his multiple inning appearances, used so infrequently that they have had no impact.

Obviously Narron doesn't seem to trust most of them but he has to use them.

traderumor
05-22-2006, 02:40 PM
The real issue is that if Narron hadn't run Coffey out there Friday with a 5 run lead he would have been available to pitch Saturday. Narron needs to be called on the carpet for the asinine decision to pitch Coffey on Friday.Werd to dat!

Matt700wlw
05-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Weathers is in a situation he isn't cut out to be in. CLOSER.

That's the issue...I am fine with him in this bullpen, but he is more suited for a different role.

It's time to roll the dice, and let Coffey take over the closer role.

flyer85
05-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Weathers is in a situation he isn't cut out to be in. CLOSER.

That's the issue...I am fine with him in this bullpen, but he is more suited for a different role.

It's time to roll the dice, and let Coffey take over the closer role.which still won't solve the problem accept for the situation where the setup man is not needed and the closer is.

It could actually be worse if Coffey gets less innings and Weathers get more.

Matt700wlw
05-22-2006, 03:10 PM
which still won't solve the problem accept for the situation where the setup man is not needed and the closer is.

It could actually be worse if Coffey gets less innings and Weathers get more.

Belisle could be used a little more...Mercker should be coming back sometime in the near future.

There's 2 options they can shuffle around.

BenHayes
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM
In an ideal situation Weathers would be in the Scott Sullivan role of middle man. That is what he has always done. His stuff is best suited for it and his career stat lines show that. I like him that role. As a closer he is just to hittable. Todd Coffey is the only real answer to that position as things stand now. I also think that Belisle could and should be given more opportunity to pitch in late inning situations. They all have their problems ranging from lack of experience to just being to hittable, somewhere along the way you have to give the youngsters their shot.

Matt700wlw
05-22-2006, 03:33 PM
I wish Wagner could get his head on straight....the Wagner we've seen and we know he can be, teaming up with Coffey to close out games would be a huge upgrade.

BenHayes
05-22-2006, 03:41 PM
I am worried that Wagner is one of the bungled draft picks that they have so often made. His career made a serious U-turn after that first year. If he was to get right again he would certainly improve the bullpen when teamed with Coffey.

flyer85
05-22-2006, 03:44 PM
I am worried that Wagner is one of the bungled draft picks that they have so often made. His career made a serious U-turn after that first year. If he was to get right again he would certainly improve the bullpen when teamed with Coffey.His season in AAA has shown no signs of turning it around.

BenHayes
05-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Exactly.