PDA

View Full Version : Has the Trade Deadline come early?

bthomasiscool
05-22-2006, 06:22 PM
I have found it amusing the past couple days seeing all of the trade propositions. People wondering what we could get or if we should trade the likes of Dunn, Arroyo, Lopez, Kearns, etc. While its fun to imagine what we think we should get out of players of this caliber we need to realize that this is our core of solid young players. We need them, and every year can't be a rebuilding year. But to the point, what can we get for Griffey?;)

2001MUgrad
05-22-2006, 09:42 PM
If there are any takers for Dunn and you could get "something" for him, I'd have traded Mr. K yesterday.

Heath
05-22-2006, 10:03 PM
If there are any takers for Dunn and you could get "something" for him, I'd have traded Mr. K yesterday.

Glad to see you again.....

wheels
05-22-2006, 10:03 PM

Yeah, and you'd also have organized a fan boycott a couple of years ago.

All the way from North Carolina.

deltachi8
05-22-2006, 10:45 PM

please define "something."

Ltlabner
05-23-2006, 06:26 AM
I'm always open to trades and player moves at any time, provided they strengthen the team and make sense. Right now, I think we have a very nice core of young players: EE, Kearns, Philips, Lopez, etc etc etc. While none of them are "untouchable" I'd think long and hard before moving one of them.

That said, we have plenty of people that could be packaged together to bring in more pitching. One of the three catchers (LaRue IMO would bring the most in return. I like all three of them for different reasons but I think he brings you the most in return)....Hattiburg...McCrackin...Freel...Belisle ....some of the younger guys in the farm system. You could put together a package deal for some middle releavers types.

But I think the Kriv has been evaluating where things are until this point in the season. It's pretty obvious what the needs are and how things are working out. Again, I'm open to some player moves, but I wouldn't go rushing around willy nilly.

RedsBaron
05-23-2006, 06:47 AM
I have found it amusing the past couple days seeing all of the trade propositions. People wondering what we could get or if we should trade the likes of Dunn, Arroyo, Lopez, Kearns, etc. While its fun to imagine what we think we should get out of players of this caliber we need to realize that this is our core of solid young players. We need them, and every year can't be a rebuilding year. But to the point, what can we get for Griffey?;)
I was thinking this morning of opening a thread on the same subject. I guess there is no harm in people wanting to dream about trading everybody, but there are a few posters here whom I am glad are not running the Reds, because if they were, we might have nothing but AA prospects.
I'd love to see the Reds add another quality starting pitcher, and another arm or two in the bullpen, but I do not believe that the way to build a winner is to simply gut your team of all of your best players.

VI_RedsFan
05-23-2006, 03:07 PM
At this point, the trade I'd like to see happen the most is Freel and LaRue for an above average starter and a reliever or two.

Anyone think the 'Stros would do Freel and LaRue for Backe and Wheeler/Qualls? The Seattle Mariners are another option for a trade involving Jason and Freely. Maybe Pineiro/Meche and Soriano?

2001MUgrad
05-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, and you'd also have organized a fan boycott a couple of years ago.

All the way from North Carolina.

Better than doing nothing isn't it??

BTW, we have a new owner now don't we??

RedsBaron
05-24-2006, 02:31 PM
I have really loved the moves the Reds have made recently. The acquisition of Arroyo not only gave the Reds a guy who has thus far been an all-star quality starting pitcher, his presence has seemed to help the whole team psychologically. I know, I know that sabermetricians may reject the idea of a team having a psychological boost, but I really believe his trade both greatly helped the staff (the most important benefit) and also gave the players a message: Management wants to win, now.
The releases of Womack and Williams were also beneficial. Those moves also sent players a message: Management wants to win, now, and if you don't do your job, management is willing to incur the financial cost of getting rid of you. The Danny Graves attitude of there being no pressure to win should now be dead.
However, with the Reds at the moment in contention, what kind of message would be sent to the team, and the fans, if management suddenly began trading away productive, relatively low cost players such as Arroyo, Dunn, Lopez, Kearns, et al, in return for "prospects"? I believe the message would be: Management does not care about winning, at least now--maybe later.
I once posted that a Reds fan above all needed hope, some realistic hope that the team was building a winner. Players need that hope too. If things are hopeless, most good players will look to leave.