PDA

View Full Version : Reds build backyard batting cage for 8 year old with leukemia

savafan
05-23-2006, 11:11 AM
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/family/9255747/detail.html

CINCINNATI -- It's just what you might expect to hear from an 8-year-old boy: "I want to play baseball."

But life hasn't been so simple for Timmy Hennessey, who was diagnosed with leukemia at age 3.

The disease doesn't keep Timmy from enjoying himself, though.

"He's a normal kid," his mother, Mary, said. "He acts normal, play normal, plays hard. He's the only kid I know that thinks getting a spinal tap is fun."

Timmy received a special gift Monday from the Reds and the Make-A-Wish Foundation -- a backyard makeover, complete with a batting cage of his own.

"It's been really cool, because you never really get to have a batting cage in your own back yard," Timmy said.

Reds manager Jerry Narron even threw Timmy his first pitch. The makeover is just one of many gifts the team has given Timmy and his family.

"They've sent us to a game, gave us a suite, and then the limo and this," Mary said. "It's just been awesome. … It's just really meant a whole lot. This is something he'll never forget."

Joseph
05-23-2006, 11:14 AM
That's special. No sarcasm, no insults, no qualifiers added on, thats special. I hope the kid lives a long life and its a healthy one because I think this is one of those things he'll think about every single day even when he's outgrown playing baseball in the backyard.

smith288
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I'd like to have me an at home batting cage... hitting walnuts with a broken wooden bat just isnt the same.

redsfan30
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
That's something that little boy will remember for the rest of his life....however long that may be.

Great story!

harangatang
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Baseball should be about things like this, just like the time when Griffey brought that little boy into the dugout when his grandfather had a heart attack at the game. The Reds do some good things, what a great story.

redsfanfalcon
05-23-2006, 12:21 PM
What a classy move.

Reds-aholic
05-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I really wish stories like this would get more play. I am sure that we could take some of the time we talk about steroids and spend it talking about the good stories in baseball.

KronoRed
05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
What a classy move.
Agreed...well done Reds

dabvu2498
05-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Fortunately alot of these type of activities take place and we never hear about them.

Unfortunately, we never hear about them.

Many of these guys (and organizations) are complete publicity hounds. They prefer to do their good works behind the scenes. I will always question the athlete that visits kids in the hospital with 20 TV cameras (and his agent) in tow. Perhaps that's the cynic in me.

NatiRedGals
05-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Aw ya know what now all he needs is Dave Williams to throw him a pitch he will be a true major leaguer then hah