PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo notes

GoReds
05-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Thought this was interesting:

May 23 The Associated Press reports Cincinnati Reds SP Bronson Arroyo, who was 0-2 and had allowed 26 hits in 20 innings over his last three starts, gave up one run and six hits in seven innings Monday, May 22, agains the Milwaukee Brewers to lower his NL-best ERA to 2.29. The right-hander improved to 3-0 with a 0.58 ERA this season when he faces a team for the second time.

Wyatt Earp
05-24-2006, 02:40 PM
WOW! He gets better the second time around.This may turn out to be the best move by the Reds in a long time.

CTA513
05-24-2006, 02:44 PM
WOW! He gets better the second time around.This may turn out to be the best move by the Reds in a long time.

We will still hear from sports people that hes only pitching good because the NL hasnt seen him pitch.

:laugh:

LincolnparkRed
05-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Not bad saying the 3 teams were the Cubs, Brewers and Cards

TeamBoone
05-24-2006, 03:32 PM
I read where Arroyo studies every opposing batter on video before a game... he then determines which pitches they hit well and which they have problems with. He also shakes up his routine with each batter from game to game so that they never know what to expect.

When he found out that one of his old Boston coaches told one of the Brewer's players that his first pitch is always a fastball down the middle (which it was the first time he saw the guy and he hit a HR), Bronson threw the guy a different pitch the next game he faced him and had decidedly better results. I can't remember who the player was.

Anyway, I don't think Bronson's being better the second and third times around is luck, instead, it's by design. He does his homework and benefits greatly from it.

If I can, I'll try to find the article later. I probably already posted it, so I'll search RZ first.

Spitball
05-24-2006, 05:37 PM
I love to watch a thinking pitcher who sets up batters and puts them away.

vaticanplum
05-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I love to watch a thinking pitcher who sets up batters and puts them away.

This is one thing I really love about Pedro. Maybe Arroyo learned from him.

Spitball
05-24-2006, 06:04 PM
This is one thing I really love about Pedro. Maybe Arroyo learned from him.

When the Reds acquired Arroyo, I particularly liked the fact that he had so many opportunities to watch Pedro, not to mention Schilling and Wells.