PDA

View Full Version : Mets acquired RHP Orlando Hernandez from the Diamondbacks for RHP Jorge Julio.

redsfan4445
05-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Per rotoworld.com

"Mets acquired RHP Orlando Hernandez from the Diamondbacks for RHP Jorge Julio.
We've suspected for months that El Duque would be a target of Omar Minaya's, but we had no idea Minaya would get him so cheap. Hernandez will go right into the Mets' rotation, probably as a replacement for Jeremi Gonzalez. He's still a poor bet to last 200 innings, but he'll have fantasy value while healthy, and if he survives into October, he'd be a better choice than Steve Trachsel or Brian Bannister to start in the playoffs. The stadium switch gives him additional value in NL-only leagues. May. 24 - 6:13 pm et
"

Mario-Rijo
05-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow! That's not a bad deal for El Duque as Julio was stinking it up! Guess that means it's highly unlikely that the Mets will give up BP help for Dave Williams!

jimbo
05-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Was El Duque scheduled to pitch against the Reds coming up?

Red Forman
05-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Mets trade for El Duque

BY ANTHONY RIEBER.......Newsday Staff Writer
May 24, 2006, 6:04 PM EDT

The Mets acquired former Yankee Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez today from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for reliever Jorge Julio, general manager Omar Minaya announced.

Hernandez, who is listed as 36 but is believed to be as much as four years older, was 2-4 with a 6.11 ERA in nine starts for the Diamondbacks. He spent last season with the World Series champion Chicago White Sox after six seasons with the Yankees.

Hernandez has a career record of 72-53. He may plug one of the two holes in the Mets' starting rotation, which has been weakened by injuries to Brian Bannister and Victor Zambrano.

Julio, who was acquired over the winter from the Orioles in the Kris Benson trade, was 1-2 with a 5.06 ERA in 18 games for the Met.

reds44
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Please look at the board before you post.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46523

cincyinco
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM

flyer85
05-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Was El Duque scheduled to pitch against the Reds coming up?Sunday.

Nice trade for the Snakes as Julio had been on a roll and El Duque has been bad and is sure to break down.

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 06:44 PM
A starter for that? not bad.

flyer85
05-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Since Julio's 4 bad outings(8ER in 4IP) to start the season he is

18IP 10H 4R 7BB 27Ks

Think the Reds could use a bat misser like that.

oneupper
05-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Minaya does not impress me much, he just seems to have a lot money to throw around.

MartyFan
05-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Wasn't Minaya the GM of the Expoes for several years when they were producing so many studs in their system? Or was he just the guy that traded them away?

Can't recall.

flyer85
05-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Wasn't Minaya the GM of the Expoes for several years when they were producing so many studs in their system? Or was he just the guy that traded them away?

Can't recall.the guy that traded them away. He was installed as GM after MLB acquired the franchise

edabbs44
05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
I really wanted the Reds to go after Julio after he had that bad start...El Duque? What a horrible trade for the Mets. So they traded Benson for El Duque and John Maine. Minaya got robbed.

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2006, 07:38 PM

Can't recall.

He traded Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee, and Grady Sizemore for three months of Bartolo Colon.

Minaya is an overrated GM, IMO.

Oxilon
05-24-2006, 07:47 PM
He traded Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee, and Grady Sizemore for three months of Bartolo Colon.

You cannot blame him for that trade at all, IMO. The Expos were actually in contention come the deadline, and they were about to be moved to D.C. Nobody in the franchise knew where their future laid, including Minaya. Why not gamble and try to make the playoffs? Minaya had nothing to lose. The Expos had nothing to lose. It actually brought a some excitment to the Expos, something it hadn't seen since '94. Considering their situation, I thought it was a great trade back than, and still do.

MattyHo4Life
05-24-2006, 07:51 PM
You cannot blame him for that trade at all, IMO. The Expos were actually in contention come the deadline, and they were about to be moved to D.C. Nobody in the franchise knew where their future laid, including Minaya. Why not gamble and try to make the playoffs? Minaya had nothing to lose. The Expos had nothing to lose. It actually brought a some excitment to the Expos, something it hadn't seen since '94. Considering their situation, I thought it was a great trade back than, and still do.

Do you think the Reds should trade three of their best prospects for a pitcher if they are still in contention in July? Would you think that is a good trade?

Oxilon
05-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Do you think the Reds should trade three of their best prospects for a pitcher if they are still in contention in July? Would you think that is a good trade?

Considering the Reds aren't being relocated anytime soon, no. But if I was the Reds GM and we were being relocated in a season, I'd try to make a winnner out of the present club anyway possible; which is exactly what Minaya tried to do.

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 07:55 PM

We almost hired him over Dan O ;)

edabbs44
05-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Depends on the situation. Have the Reds gotten any BP help since now?

MattyHo4Life
05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Depends on the situation. Have the Reds gotten any BP help since now?

Is there a situation where you would support a trade of EE, Homer, and another top spect for a 3 month rental?

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I personally wouldn't have traded Lee, Sizemore, and Phillips for three months of Colon, but then again that's just me.

edabbs44
05-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Is there a situation where you would support a trade of EE, Homer, and another top spect for a 3 month rental?
Part of the situation is if the pitcher is a rental. What the pitcher's age? $$$?

IslandRed
05-24-2006, 09:01 PM
You cannot blame him for that trade at all, IMO. The Expos were actually in contention come the deadline, and they were about to be moved to D.C. Nobody in the franchise knew where their future laid, including Minaya.

At the time, the plan was to contract the Expos. Moving them to D.C. came later. So yes, I give Minaya a pass for that one -- if the plan (so far as you are told) is to fold the team after the season, any and all minor-leaguers are totally expendable.

MattyHo4Life
05-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Part of the situation is if the pitcher is a rental. What the pitcher's age? $$$?

I was talking about a situation similar to what Minaya gave up for Colon. I don't know what Colon was making when Minaya traded for him, but it would be whatever he was making at the time.

edabbs44
05-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I was talking about a situation similar to what Minaya gave up for Colon. I don't know what Colon was making when Minaya traded for him, but it would be whatever he was making at the time.
In the Reds case right now, probably not. There comes a time when you sacrifice the farm for another player. That time comes around once in a blue moon for small to middle mkt teams. Minaya knew he was gone soon and probably wanted to make one last ditch effort. Plus, it could have been the old Minaya bias that we hear so much about in the NY area.:)

CrackerJack
05-24-2006, 10:13 PM
At the time, the plan was to contract the Expos. Moving them to D.C. came later. So yes, I give Minaya a pass for that one -- if the plan (so far as you are told) is to fold the team after the season, any and all minor-leaguers are totally expendable.

I suppose that's the issue here if accurate.

Then again Colon, at the time, was not exactly chopped liver. Wasn't he considered to be arguably the best seasoned young pitcher in mlb at the time?

Would anyone here give up your 3 top prospects for Dontrelle Willis at the deadline this year, if the Reds are 2-3 games out? (or someone of his stature having a better/great year)

You might I guess, if your franchise was being contracted, or if it's value was not determined by system or roster players.

I am not sure if Colon had serious concerns surrounding the longevity of his arm at the time though. So, hard to judge the trade too harshly I think.

savafan
05-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Plus, it could have been the old Minaya bias that we hear so much about in the NY area.:)

Yep, probably why Orlando Hernandez is a Met and Dave Williams isn't.

Safe at Home
05-25-2006, 08:22 AM

Thats got to be one of the worst trades ever!!!!!!:eek:

flyer85
05-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Hernandez wasn't very good last year with the White Sox and the Mets will have to be doubly fortunate to get both good pitching and good health from him. Since the last time Hernandez made it to 150IP was 2001 he seems a very poor bet and most likely Minaya will be forced to go out and repeat the process at some point.

REDREAD
05-25-2006, 12:30 PM

If the Reds were about to be relocated or contracted, yes.

It was in MLB's best interest to have the Expos do well in the short term, since they were up for sale.

It's further evidence that Cleveland has excellent talent evaluators though. I'm not sure anyone expected Lee and Sizemore to be that good (other than Cleveland, maybe).

NJReds
05-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Hernandez wasn't very good last year with the White Sox and the Mets will have to be doubly fortunate to get both good pitching and good health from him. Since the last time Hernandez made it to 150IP was 2001 he seems a very poor bet and most likely Minaya will be forced to go out and repeat the process at some point.

This trade is being viewed on the opposite end of the spectrum in NY -- that it was a steal for the Mets and that they were lucky to get anything in return for Julio. Although a lot of folks here are selectively remembering El Duque's strong playoff performances for the Yankees.

NJReds
05-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Thats got to be one of the worst trades ever!!!!!!:eek:

How about the Giants trading Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano and Boof Bonser for AJ Pierzinski.

vaticanplum
05-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Wasn't El Duque excellent in the playoffs last year? That's probably what Minaya is remembering...that seems to be how he makes his decisions. This is not a bad pickup, but it is, as someone said, a selective one. Minaya is getting as bad as the Yankees in the way he is building his team. He's got a lot of marquee and, in some cases, truly excellent players, but they're all parts to a bigger machine that doesn't work yet.

flyer85
05-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Wasn't El Duque excellent in the playoffs last year?He hardly pitched(4 IP) and was removed from the rotation for the postseason.

vaticanplum
05-25-2006, 03:18 PM
He hardly pitched(4 IP) and was removed from the rotation for the postseason.

Yeah, he was a reliever...I remember at least one game against the Red Sox and one against the Astros and if memory serves he got them out of serious jams both times.

I guess I could look this up, couldn't I?

edit: ok yeah, he had three great innings against Boston and a tetchy inning against Houston in the marathon game. He had FOUR walks and didn't let anybody score. That was the game that prompted my friend to make the observation that El Duque can't pitch unless the bases are loaded.

But people, check out this link!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2005_ALDS1.shtml

Look at the home runs listed for the first game! Booooo Baseball Reference fact checkers!

blumj
05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Colon was under contract for another season, and he traded him after the season to the White Sox in a 3-way deal. I don't remember all of it, but, coincidentally, he got El Duque as part of it.