PDA

View Full Version : Why not skip Milton with the offday?

fielder's choice
05-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Why wouldn't you skip Milton here with the offday, everyone will have 4 days rest? Milton obviously needs some more time, he looked awful @ Detroit.

Redhook
05-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Milton doesn't need more time, he needs more live action. He's rusty. Sitting him for an additional five days will just slow him down even more. Now, I believe he should've made a start or two in AAA, but that's a moot point now that he's already up here. And he's making way too much cash, about 16% of the payroll, to be skipped in the rotation no matter how bad he has been in the past two starts and last year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll return to how he pitched early this year and most of his career. If he does, this team will stay in the wild card hunt for most of summer if not all.

Caseyfan21
05-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I think his performance in Detroit could be attributed more to him just coming off the DL without a real rehab start. I think if we skip him that would just result in him being even worse off. He should have taken a couple rehab starts to be ready to go at full strength but it's too late now so we will probably need to just deal with him not having excellent command for a couple starts.

Unassisted
05-24-2006, 10:51 PM
There are 8,000,000 reasons not to do that. ;)

billy117
05-24-2006, 10:55 PM
i don't think that milton got his fastball over 87 mph last time out, now i suppose that could be rust and i agree he should have pitched once in aaa but with webb going on friday i'd much rather see harang go to give us a chance....but like has been said i don't think that sitting an extra five days will help, maybe place him in the rotation after arroyo but that might still be too long a wait, really there is no good option here unless he surprises everyone and throws a gem or webb throws a bad one (unlikely)

KronoRed
05-24-2006, 10:59 PM
There are 8,000,000 reasons not to do that. ;)
Not good enough reasons :devil:

We're stuck with him, may as well throw him and hope he gets hot and someone calls about him ;)

bucksfan
05-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I'd rather pitch Skip Milton than Eric Milton any day. And I don't even know who Skip Milton is! ;)

Redhook
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Milton is going to beat Webb and knock him off his 7-0 pedestal. We're going to get back to knocking out #1 starter's on Friday nights. Go Milty! :thumbup:

oneupper
05-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Milton is going to beat Webb and knock him off his 7-0 pedestal. We're going to get back to knocking out #1 starter's on Friday nights. Go Milty! :thumbup:

Officially we will institute: "FRY THE ACE" FRIDAY!
Mr. Webb, the pan awaits you!

Big Klu
05-25-2006, 07:23 PM
I think that maybe the Reds could have skipped Milton's turn in the rotation, and had him pitch out of the bullpen to get his work in and "knock the rust off" until his next start (which would have been Tuesday in that scenario).