PDA

View Full Version : Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans

Gallen5862
05-27-2006, 04:00 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060525&content_id=1471302&vkey=draft2006&fext=.jsp
05/25/2006 1:15 PM ET
Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans
Junior college players can re-enter draft pool if they don't sign
By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com
While most of the attention leading up to the draft is focused on who will be taken on June 6 and 7, it's still not completely clear who will be available for the 30 teams' consideration.
Every year, teams take players -- there are 50 rounds, after all -- who they don't sign. High schoolers (and some junior college students) who don't sign have two options: They can go to a four-year school, which would mean the team selecting them would immediately lose their rights, or they can go to a junior college. If they choose the latter, the team that drafts them retains negotiating rights up until the week before the next draft. If they don't sign by then, they re-enter the draft pool.

It's called draft-and-follow and it's a strategy almost every team uses, usually purposefully, to further build its farm system. In many cases, a high schooler is too raw or is coming off of an injury, so the organization doesn't want to sign him. They convince the player to go to junior college, so they can monitor his performance and see how he progresses. Then a determination is made whether or not to sign him. Occasionally, a raw high schooler will blossom so much in that year that he turns himself into a first-round-caliber talent, making the decision a little tougher.

Who were the top draft-and-follows from last year's draft? What is their current status in terms of signing or re-entering the draft? Here's a list of 10 names to know and where things stand with each.

Pedro Beato, RHP, St. Petersburg JC
The Mets don't have a first-round pick, but many believe their 17th-round pick from a year ago is of first-round caliber. A year removed from Tommy John surgery, Beato's velocity hadn't come all the way back when the Mets drafted him. This year, he's back up to the low-to-mid 90s. He's got a plus curve and an improving changeup as secondary pitches. At 6-foot-5, 210 pounds, he's extremely projectable. There was no indication that a deal was imminent, but the Mets do have the resources to make sure he signs.

Sean O'Sullivan, RHP, Grossmont JC
O'Sullivan turned down a sizeable bonus from the Angels after they took him in the third round, hoping to improve his draft status. He had a down senior year of high school, a big reason why he slid to the third round. A very good athlete who played two ways in junior college, he's performed fairly well and there's a chance he'd go faster than he did last year if he re-enters. The Angels are still working with him and hope to come to a fair agreement. This is one that could come down to the wire.

Bryan Morris, RHP, Motlow State JC
This one is a little more complicated. After the Devil Rays took him in the third round -- he's the highest drafted player from last year still unsigned -- he almost came to terms last summer. But negotiations fell apart and Morris headed to Motlow. He dominated on the mound there while also playing the outfield. The Rays have new management now and they've been having an ongoing dialogue with Morris in the hopes of signing him. Chances are, this will be an announcement that comes at midnight on deadline day. If he goes back into the draft, he could go as high as the end of the first round.

Milton Loo, SS/3B, Yavapai JC
The Reds drafted Loo in the ninth round last year out of JC, but he went back for a second year. He's turned down two offers from the Reds, but there was still hope he'd sign. He's got plenty of tools, with the ability to steal a base and hit for power. He's good defensively at two positions, though an elbow injury made him a designated hitter only for part of this past season.

Complete coverage >Bryan Casey, RHP/3B, Arizona Western JC
The Royals took the 6-3, 205-pounder in the 20th round last year, and he's generated interest as both a pitcher and a hitter. He's new to pitching, but he's been clocked as high as 97 mph this season, perhaps the reason why the Royals just signed him. As a converted pitcher, he'll start as a reliever with Idaho Falls in the rookie-level Pioneer League. If he progresses as hoped, he could be a starter somewhere in the Royals system next season.

Tommy Hanson, RHP, Riverside CC, Calif.
The Braves took the 6-5 right-hander in the 27th round last year and watched him throw very well at Riverside this season. His fastball has hit 95 mph and he's got good command to boot. The Braves announced this week that they had signed him, one of six draft-and-follows they have inked this spring. Another key signee was Travis Flowers, the first baseman out of Chipola JC in Florida.

Aaron Breit, RHP, Garden City CC, Kansas
Drew Miller, RHP, Seminole State JC, Oklahoma
Both of these pitchers are under the Padres' control. The Friars took Breit in the 12th round out of Garden City CC and he returned for another go-round. So did Miller, whom the Pads took in the 37th round out of Seminole State. Both are big-armed right-handers. The Padres have offers out to them, hoping both will sign.

Steven Marquardt, 3B/SS, Columbia Basin JC, Washington
Marquardt returned to the Pacific Northwest and his junior college after the Rangers took him in the 23rd round, and he continued to perform well. He's big and strong and pretty athletic with power potential as a future corner infielder. He's shown some strength at the plate, but he hasn't had a consistent approach from at-bat to at-bat. He was drafted by the Phillies out of high school and didn't sign, went to Washington State very briefly, then left and ended at Columbia Basin. It was still up in the air whether Texas would be able to come to an agreement with him.

Jonthan Holdzkom, RHP, Salt Lake CC, Utah
The Mariners took the right-hander out of Rancho Cucamonga high school in the 15th round, and he went to Salt Lake ... for a while. While his velocity was reportedly into the upper-90s at times, he struggled with command, walking almost as many as he struck out. He left the school and went home, where he was pitching in weekend leagues to stay sharp if he re-enters the draft. His brother is Lincoln Holdzkom, now with the Cubs organization.

Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Gallen5862
05-27-2006, 04:10 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2005xteam.php?team=CIN
2005 Draft: Cincinnati Reds

TOTAL PICKS: 50 (College: 25, High School: 15, Juco: 10, Other: 0)
Position Players: 25 Pitchers: 25

Players signed indicated in Bold
Rnd Pk Overall Player Position School State
1 12 12 Jay Bruce of West Brook HS, Beaumont, Texas TX
2 12 60 Travis Wood lhp Bryant HS, Alexander, Ark. AR
3 12 92 Zach Ward RHP Gardner-Webb U. NC
4 12 122 Sam LeCure rhp U. of Texas TX
5 12 152 James Avery rhp Niagara U NY
6 12 182 Jeff Stevens rhp Loyola Marymount U. CA
7 12 212 Brandon Roberts OF Cal Poly U. CA
8 12 242 Michael Jones SS Wayne County HS, Jesup, Ga. GA
9 12 272 Milton Loo 3b Yavapai (Ariz.) CC AZ
10 12 302 Bo Lanier RHP U. of Georgia GA
11 12 332 Carlos Fisher rhp Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) College ID
12 12 362 Adam Rosales ss Western Michigan U. MI
13 12 392 Logan Ondrusek rhp McLennan (Texas) CC TX
14 12 422 Michael Griffin 2B Baylor U. TX
15 12 452 Michael De Jesus 2B Coastal Carolina U. SC
16 12 482 Jason Vecchio rhp U. of Texas-San Antonio TX
17 12 512 David Wilson LHP Lander (S.C.) U. SC
18 12 542 Kevyn Feiner ss Sun Prairie (Wisc.) HS WI
19 12 572 Eric Eymann ss Kansas State U. KS
20 12 602 Ben Mummy 1b U. of Nevada NV
21 12 632 Ben Blumenthal C Erskine (S.C.) College SC
22 12 662 Robbie Nickols lhp Pima (Ariz.) CC AZ
23 12 692 James Morris lhp U. of Illinois IL
24 12 722 Kyle Ginley RHP St. Petersburg JC FL
25 12 752 Taylor Johnson of U. of Washington WA
26 12 782 Matthew Salmon OF South Aiken HS, Aiken S.C. SC
27 12 812 Kenny Smalley rhp St. Charles (Ill.) HS IL
28 12 842 Henry-Judsen Smith rhp Phoenix JC AZ
29 12 872 Russell Haltiwanger RHP Newberry (S.C.) College SC
30 12 902 Mark Rodriguez c U. of Texas-Pan American TX
31 12 932 Abe Woody rhp Baylor U. TX
32 12 962 Chris Denove C UCLA CA
33 12 992 Leroy Hunt of Linden HS, Stockton, Calif. CA
34 12 1022 Brandon Camardese LHP U. of Miami FL
35 12 1052 Angel Colon 3b Iowa Wesleyan College IA
36 12 1082 Lorenzo Douglas rhp Sachse HS, Garland, Texas TX
37 12 1112 Jacob Long C Modesto (Calif.) JC CA
38 12 1142 Kuyaunnis Miles of Russell County HS, Phenix City, Ala. AL
39 12 1172 Edwin Quirarte rhp Oxnard (Calif.) HS CA
40 12 1201 Angel Cabrera SS Connors State (Okla.) JC OK
41 12 1230 Justin Tordi ss U. of Florida FL
42 12 1259 John Axford RHP U. of Notre Dame IN
43 12 1288 Clay Long rhp Chipola (Fla.) JC FL
44 12 1317 Jason Erickson rhp White River HS, Buckley, Wash. WA
45 12 1346 Andre Lamontagne RHP Righetti HS, Santa Maria, Calif. CA
46 12 1375 J.W. Brown 1B Howard (Texas) JC TX
47 12 1404 Matt Garrett of Grand Rapids (Mich.) CC MI
48 12 1432 Gary Pointer rhp Marcus HS, Flower Mound, Texas TX
49 12 1459 Cody Allen of Coleman (Mich.) HS MI
50 12 1486 Jacob Christensen RF Lockport Township (Ill.) HS IL

This appears to be the Reds draft and follows. There looks like their are Eight of them. Does anyone have any info on any of these players besides Milton Loo? Do any of the others look like they might be worth signing?
37 12 1112 Jacob Long C Modesto (Calif.) JC CA

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Robbie Nickols is a 6'5" lefty with good velocity. Sign him and Loo and I'll be extremely happy.

Gallen5862
05-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the info on Nickols. I hope we can sign both him and Loo at least. Any other signings would be gravy.

Gallen5862
05-28-2006, 07:07 PM
http://www.modbee.com/sports/story/12244612p-12983458c.html
Leading Off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reds sign former MJC, Johansen star

Catcher Jake Long, a 2004 graduate of Johansen High School, has signed a contract with the Cincinnati Reds. Long recently completed his second season with Modesto Junior College and was named Central Valley Conference player of the year after hitting .372 with a .516 on-base percentage, 38 RBIs and 33 runs. Long was drafted by the Reds two years in a row: in the 44th round in 2004 and the 37th round last year. MJC was eliminated from the NorCal Regional Playoffs on May 20. The Reds made an offer the next day, and Long signed on Monday at home. "It was shocking at first. I kind of knew, but any time it happens, it's shocking," Long said. "But after it settled in, it was exciting. Cool feeling. All the hard work you put in the past two years, it paid off." Long will leave June 10 and report to Sarasota, Fla., for rookie league.

This is a good sign. The team gets another catcher into the system. Hopefully he is the first of many of our draft and follows to sign. We drafted him Two years in a row like they did with Loo. I hope at least Loo and Nickols signs.

Gallen5862
05-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Today at midnight is the deadline for the draft and follows to sign. Has anyone seen any information on if we signed any of our seven remaining players?

flyer85
05-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Why pick "draft and follow" players if they aren't going to sign the ones who significantly improve their draft standing? Guys like Loo and Markakis

dougdirt
05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Maybe you want to sign them but they want just a bit to much money? Maybe they want to play for someone else? I am sure that the Reds arent just sitting around not talking to Loo.

Aronchis
05-29-2006, 07:48 PM
You must also remember that these picks were by the "old guard". Now with Buckley and Krivsky in charge, making Renyolds and his band of misfits just scouts basically, they may not prefer some of these players.

NC Reds
05-29-2006, 11:33 PM
From what I have read Milton Loo has talent that any regime would covet.

At a minimum, the Reds need to make a concerted effort (i.e. make a good financial offer) to sign Loo. Anything less would be unacceptable. I don't know why any player would not want to sign with Cincinnati. He would be more likely to break through in Cincinnati than New York or Boston (where high profile free agent signings can cover positions for many years).

cincyinco
05-30-2006, 12:17 AM
So, its midnight eastern..

No news on Loo?

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2006, 07:04 AM
JUCO: From Molokai to the majors?
Hawaiian’s stock rises stateside

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

By ALLEN GEMAEHLICH

The Daily Sentinel

Not many people have seen Milton Loo play, but a former high school teammate of his knew of his talents and persuaded his current college coach to give him a chance.

Now Loo, who is playing for Yavapai (Ariz.) College in the Alpine Bank Junior College World Series, is getting a chance to show several people — including college and pro scouts — what he can do.

The sophomore grew up in a remote area on the small Hawaiian island of Molokai, where no one, aside from his family and friends, could see him play.

Molokai has a population of 7,400 people. Sunday night, Loo played in front of 9,848.

“Baseball is not as advertised as football, but on my island baseball is the No. 1 sport,” Loo said. “Every boy on the island has (played) or is playing baseball.

“My family tried to get me in other sports, but I tried other sports and I just didn’t have the head for it. Baseball has been my dream ever since I started playing ball. My goal is to be a professional baseball player.”

That was a long shot growing up in Hawaii.

Although he was drafted out of high school by the Cincinnati Reds, Loo wasn’t getting any other inquiries.

Former players from the area that did get drafted encouraged him to play college ball to improve his draft status, but no college knew of Loo.

A friend and former high school teammate told Yavapai coach Sky Smeltzer about Loo.

“Kelii Alcon told us about Milton,” Smeltzer said. “It took one phone call and made him an offer. He said, ‘Kelii said it was OK, so I’m coming.’

“It’s not very often I recruit a player unseen, especially a shortstop. I trusted (Alcon). He was a good player and said Loo would be better than him. You don’t hear that often.”

Smeltzer didn’t even see film of Loo. In fact, the first time Smeltzer saw Loo was after Loo arrived in Phoenix to start college.

That was Loo’s first time away from the Hawaiian islands.

“At first the culture shock ,” Loo said. “There is no ocean, just mountains. Then baseball came along and took over.

“(Alcon) told me Prescott is not as big as Phoenix and that is was perfect. He said it was a small cottage and he had a feeling I’d like it.”

The experience he’s getting at Yavapai is what Loo wanted.

“(Loo) didn’t sign a pro contract out of high school because he hadn’t been off the island,” Smeltzer said. “He needed to get away a little bit to adjust.”

Since leaving Molokai, Loo’s opportunities have been plentiful. He was drafted by the Reds again in the ninth round after his freshman year last summer and has signed a letter-of-intent to play at Louisiana State University next year — if he doesn’t sign a pro contract.

“If I get a good offer, I’ll sign (a pro contract),” Loo said. “I’ve signed with LSU just in case.

“I’ve never been (to Baton Rouge, La.) before, but I’ve always wanted to play there. My uncle lives in Louisiana. When I was in middle school, he wanted me to go there and live with him. I checked out the school on the Internet and their baseball program is awesome.”

Whether Loo goes to LSU or signs with the Reds by next Tuesday’s draft or signs with another team that drafts him, his future is bright.

“He’s got the stubbornness, determination and work ethic to make it,” Smeltzer said. “He doesn’t want to go back to the island and work for $5 an hour the rest of his life.

“He has the best tools of any player I’ve had in the program in my 10 years. That doesn’t mean he’ll make it. He’s got to stay healthy and continue to work hard.”

The Baseball America preseason junior college player of the year also is a team player.

Normally a shortstop, Loo has adapted to playing third base

He now has fans and friends back in Prescott to go with his support network across the Pacific Ocean.

“The whole island is behind me 100 percent,” Loo said. “I go back and help the Little League. Everywhere I go (in Hawaii) I have family tell me I have a good opportunity to take what I can and do my best.”

http://www.gjsentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/05/30/5_30_ag_yavapai_loo_1C_WWW.html

Joseph
05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Sounds like a way to tap into a fan base by getting this kid.

I hope it gets done.

Outshined_One
05-30-2006, 02:02 PM
In a bit of good news for teams in this year's draft, the Draft & Follow signing deadline passed last night. Neither Beato nor Morris signed with their respective clubs, surprisingly enough.

New Fever
05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Did Loo sign?

Gallen5862
05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/print261479.html
Top Draft-And-Follows Re-Enter Draft
By Jim Callis
May 30, 2006

The 2006 draft crop may be the worst since 2000, but it just got better at midnight Tuesday. The top three draft-and-follow prospects from 2005 failed to come to terms with the teams that held their rights, infusing this year's talent pool with three more first-round-caliber righthanders.

That Luke Hochevar and the Dodgers wouldn't reach an agreement was a foregone conclusion. But the breakups between Pedro Beato and the Mets and Bryan Morris and the Devil Rays came as a surprise.

Hochevar tied for the NCAA Division I lead with 15 wins and led Tennessee to the College World Series in 2005, when he rated as the second-best starting pitcher in the draft. He was a candidate to go No. 1 overall to the Diamondbacks before questions about his signability dropped him to Los Angeles at No. 40.

Negotiations proceeded slowly over the summer before coming to a head on Labor Day weekend. Hochevar switched agents from Scott Boras to Matt Sosnick and agreed to a $2.98 million bonus. Then he switched back to Boras, reneged on the deal and accused the Dodgers of trying to force him into a bad deal. At that point, it became nearly impossible to reach an agreement in which both sides could come out as winners.

Hochevar joined the Fort Worth Cats of the independent American Association this spring, and each of his starts has drawn flocks of scouts. He has shown a 90-97 mph fastball and a mid-80s slider while flashing a plus curveball. His command and stamina understandably aren't in peak form after his 10-month layoff, but he has looked similar to how he did in early 2005. He probably won't require much time in the minors.

Hochevar's asking price reportedly is a $4 million big league contract similar to the deal fellow Boras client Craig Hansen got when he fell to the Red Sox as the No. 26 choice a year ago. Industry insiders expect that Hochevar will find a taker in a thin draft. The Mariners, who own the fifth overall pick and desperately need pitching prospects, have been mentioned with Hochevar more than any other club. The Royals (No. 1), Tigers (No. 6) and Diamondbacks (No. 11) also are possible destinations.

Where Beato and Morris will go in the draft is more uncertain. Most teams don't bother to scout other clubs' draft-and-follows very thoroughly, on the thinking that if they're good and signable then they'll sign with their controlling club. While it isn't known how far Beato and Morris were from signing, both are believed to have sought first-round money.

Clubs expected the Mets, who have plenty of money and gave up their 2006 first-rounder to sign free agent Billy Wagner, to get a deal done with Beato. They drafted him in the 17th round out of Brooklyn's Xavieran High in 2005, a year after he had Tommy John surgery.

Beato has made a full recovery and showed three plus pitches at times this spring at St. Petersburg (Fla.) JC: a low-90s sinker that touches 96 mph, a sharp mid-80s slider and a changeup. He has a classic pitcher's build at 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds and just needs to smooth out his mechanics and command.

The Devil Rays selected Morris in the third round out of Tullahoma (Tenn.) High last June, and they eventually agreed on a $1.4 million bonus. But Tampa Bay's former front office twice delayed finalizing the deal, prompting Morris to attend Motlow State (Tenn.) CC, where his father Ricky is an assistant coach.

Morris' maintained his quality stuff this spring, showing his trademark power curveball and a 90-95 mph fastball with late life. He led Tennessee juco pitchers with a 0.91 ERA and also pulled double duty as a center fielder, a role in which he broke a bone in his left wrist on a headfirst slide. As with Beato, Morris' mechanics and command could use some improvement.

"At the end of the day, we couldn’t reach an agreement," Devil Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said. "We wish him well in the future. Now we’re focused on the upcoming draft."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1999-2006 Baseball America Inc. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. All rights reserved.

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I emailed John Manuel of Baseball America and ask him if Loo had signed with the Reds. His response:

Not yet, his team is playing in the NJCAA World Series, and he wants to play for his team before signing a pro contract. He has until 48 hours until after his team is done playing to sign.

New Fever
05-30-2006, 04:23 PM
So does that mean he will sign?

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
So does that mean he will sign?

He doesn't know. But it gives the Reds extra time to sign him.

I just emailed him back and he said the Reds did in fact sign 6'5" 215 lefty Robbie Nickols. Nickols supposedly throws in the low to mid 90's, and he along with Loo was the one I wanted them to sign.

The fact that they signed Nickols is encouraging at least - it shows they are trying to upgrade the organization.

dougdirt
05-30-2006, 04:29 PM
OBM, you are the man!

I was thinking to myself, Loo is playing still....wouldnt it be against policy for him to sign. I really hope they are serious about signing him and offer him a 6 figure bonus to sign. Does anyone know what they had offered him last year?

M2
05-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I sincerely hope someone drafts Hochevar and lowballs him (something slightly below slot money). He's got no leverage. No way he'll have a big market after not signing twice.

Coffeybro
05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
It was kinda funny thinking back to when Todd was signed after reading this article. Steve Kring wanted to initially draft and follow Todd. Todd ended up convincing Steve to sign him instead of Steve convincing Todd to go to junior college. I guess the convincing moment was when Todd showed Steve the box full of college offers from big name baseball schools, then dropped the box and kicked it saying he wanted to be in the majors.

dougdirt
05-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Nice story Coffeybro, that is classic stuff right there.

Joseph
05-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Just another reason I love Redszone. You don't get stories like that in the mainstream media. Thanks a ton Coffeybro.

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2006, 04:40 PM
I sincerely hope someone drafts Hochevar and lowballs him (something slightly below slot money). He's got no leverage. No way he'll have a big market after not signing twice.

Jim Callis answered a question on this a few days ago.

Q: Frank from Denver asks:
Here's what I don't understand. Why not draft Hochevar and offer him the same bonus that the Dodgers were willing to give him- with no room for negotiation? It seems highly unlikely to me that he has much negotiating power- he's not going to sit out another year. Even with Boras as his agent, he won't want to become the next #1 pick working at Best Buy.

A: Jim Callis: I had this conversation with someone today. How does Hochevar have any leverage, really? Why not offer him the $2.98 million he initially agreed to, or even slot money based on where he goes in the draft. Is he really going to sit out another year. Yet I continue to hear he'll get a major league contract. Fort Worth Cats teammate Matt Harrington must be shaking his head.

lollipopcurve
05-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know what they had offered him last year?

I read one report saying they'd offered him $200,000 -- I assume that was last year. Would have been good $ for a 9th round choice.

I assume they'll make a solid offer for him, but I don't expect them to go as high as a million. I'd guess more in the $500,000 to $700,000 range. Just guessing though.

dougdirt
05-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Last year they signed Travis Wood at $600,000 for the second round. Loo is projected as the 60 something best prospect by BA, so that seems about right. I think your idea of 5-700,000 is about right.

lollipopcurve
05-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Last year they signed Travis Wood at $600,000 for the second round. Loo is projected as the 60 something best prospect by BA, so that seems about right. I think your idea of 5-700,000 is about right.

I think they'll sign him if they're at all interested in doing so. I don't see him going to LSU and using aluminum. He's been using wood at Yavapai for 2 years.

jmcclain19
05-30-2006, 04:54 PM

Bill Bavasi is way too desperate to make any sort of stand with Hochevar. I'm willing to bet cash he'll pick him and submit to whatever demands Hochevar and Boras want.

M2
05-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Jim Callis answered a question on this a few days ago.

Q: Frank from Denver asks:
Here's what I don't understand. Why not draft Hochevar and offer him the same bonus that the Dodgers were willing to give him- with no room for negotiation? It seems highly unlikely to me that he has much negotiating power- he's not going to sit out another year. Even with Boras as his agent, he won't want to become the next #1 pick working at Best Buy.

A: Jim Callis: I had this conversation with someone today. How does Hochevar have any leverage, really? Why not offer him the $2.98 million he initially agreed to, or even slot money based on where he goes in the draft. Is he really going to sit out another year. Yet I continue to hear he'll get a major league contract. Fort Worth Cats teammate Matt Harrington must be shaking his head.

I think someone's likely to burst that bubble. In fact, Boras had better pray Hochevar's off the board by the time the Giants draft at #10 because if there's one guy who'll have no fear of not signing his top pick it's Brian Sabean. He usually punts his top pick (impossible to do this year because the club's 2005 record). He may have a dim view of what he can get at #10 anyway and he'll almost surely want to save some scratch.

Right now Boras is working on nothing but chutzpah vis-a-vis Hochevar. Maybe he'll find a sucker, but I'm guessing that someone shrewd may upset his plans.

Gallen5862
05-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the update OBM. I am glad to see we signed Robbie Nickols and that we get extra time to sign Milton Loo. So far we signed 2 of our 8 draft and follows and still a chance with Loo.

edabbs44
05-30-2006, 05:04 PM
He doesn't know. But it gives the Reds extra time to sign him.

I just emailed him back and he said the Reds did in fact sign 6'5" 215 lefty Robbie Nickols. Nickols supposedly throws in the low to mid 90's, and he along with Loo was the one I wanted them to sign.

The fact that they signed Nickols is encouraging at least - it shows they are trying to upgrade the organization.
Agreed...a few years ago these guys might have been afterthoughts.

edabbs44
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Please do not post premium content from Baseball America. We have been contacted by their attorneys regarding this matter. Thank you. -GIK (5.31.06)

Outshined_One
05-30-2006, 05:11 PM
I think someone's likely to burst that bubble. In fact, Boras had better pray Hochevar's off the board by the time the Giants draft at #10 because if there's one guy who'll have no fear of not signing his top pick it's Brian Sabean. He usually punts his top pick (impossible to do this year because the club's 2005 record). He may have a dim view of what he can get at #10 anyway and he'll almost surely want to save some scratch.

Right now Boras is working on nothing but chutzpah vis-a-vis Hochevar. Maybe he'll find a sucker, but I'm guessing that someone shrewd may upset his plans.

While the Giants front office has shown in the past that it prefers free agency over the draft in terms of building their teams, I don't think they'd go so far as that. Something tells me they'll go with a guy they can sign for a reasonable price.

If Hochevar falls out of the Top 10, I expect the Diamondbacks or Cubs to take him. Both clubs have worked extensively with Boras in the past and have had good track records with him. Boras has been known to steer his clients towards certain teams (see: Mark Pawelek's deal last year with the Cubs), so it wouldn't surprise me if he does it again.

Outshined_One
05-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Sean O'Sullivan just signed (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/261491.html) with the Angels. He had a ton of hype out of HS, but has been inconsistent since his senior year.

M2
05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
While the Giants front office has shown in the past that it prefers free agency over the draft in terms of building their teams, I don't think they'd go so far as that. Something tells me they'll go with a guy they can sign for a reasonable price.

That's just the thing. If the Giants draft Hochevar, he's either a potentially big talent at a reasonable price or the franchise can then spend a lot less on a compensation pick next year. It's a great two-prong reasonable price plan, one where they don't have to make any talent compromises with that #10 pick in trying to get their price.

Gallen5862
05-30-2006, 05:18 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/print261491.html
Angels Sign O'Sullivan

Braves, Padres sign several draft-and-follows as closed period begins

By Baseball America Staff
May 30, 2006

See also: Top Draft-And-Follows Re-Enter Draft

Sean O'Sullivan, one of the highest unsigned picks from last year's draft, became the highest draft-and-follow to sign this year when he agreed to terms with the Angels.

The Angels made O'Sullivan a third-round pick last year, and he decided to pitch at Grossmont (Calif.) College this spring rather than signing. One source with knowledge of the negotiations said he received a $500,000 bonus, which is about the same offer he turned down last fall.

"Sean had a great year for us and was a hard worker," Grossmont coach Randy Abshier said. "I'm excited for him that he gets to begin his professional career."

O'Sullivan entered 2005 as one of the top high school pitchers in the draft, and his inconsistent spring performance caused his stock to drop. He had committed to San Diego State but decided instead to attend junior college, which allowed him to go back into this year's draft if he didn't sign.

Teams retain negotiating rights for drafted players who attend junior college until a week before the next year's draft, which allows them to follow the players for a year before deciding whether to sign them. That's why the process is known as draft and follow.

O'Sullivan remained a potent two-way threat in junior college, finishing the season as Grossmont’s top hitter (.405-7-39) and pitcher (7-3, 1.87). He led his conference in batting and ranked second in ERA. He ranked No. 131 on Baseball America's Top 200 Prospects for the 2006 draft.

O’Sullivan's draft stock didn't rise with his performance, however. He struck out just 57 in 77 innings (while walking 12), and while his fastball and fastball command were still seen as pluses at times, his velocity varied. The consensus of scouts and junior-college coaches who saw him this spring was that O'Sullivan threw his best early in the season--at times sitting at 92-93 mph with a solid-average slider--and then throttled back, settling into the 87-90 range.

O'Sullivan will head to Arizona to the Angels extended spring training camp and then report to Rookie-level Orem in the Pioneer League.

--JOHN MANUEL

Padres Sign Trio

SAN DIEGO--The Padres got a jump on the 2006 draft by signing three pitchers from last year's crop: righthanders Aaron Breit, Drew Miller and Robert Garramone.

"This is huge for us," Padres scouting director Bill Gayton said. "All three are nice, tall-body kids. And all throw hard. This is great for us as we prepare for the draft."

Breit ranked No. 145 on Baseball America's Top 200 Prospects for the 2006 draft. He was a 12th-round pick last season out of Garden City (Kan.) Community College. He was 7-4 this season at Garden City with 93 strikeouts in 68 innings. Gayton said Breit's fastball has topped out at 95 mph. He had committed to play at Kansas next season. The Padres also drafted Breit on the 46th round in 2004 out of Thomas Moore Prep in Hays, Kan.

Miller ranked No. 197 on BA’s Top 200. He was a 37th-round pick last season out of Seminole (Okla.) State Junior College. He had 76 strikeouts in 50 innings this season and had signed to play at Virginia. Gayton said Miller's fastball topped out at 96 mph.

Garramone, whose fastball has been clocked at 91 mph, was a 29th-round pick last year out of Denver North High.

"We've had a lot of success with draft-and-follow kids," Gayton said of a farm system whose best current hitting prospect, catcher George Kottaras, was a draft-and-follow signee. "We think we got three live arms here."

--JOHN MAFFEI

FOLLOW THROUGHS

• The Royals signed one of their most significant draft-and-follow choices in righthander Bryan Casey out of Arizona Western Junior College. Casey, a hard-throwing closer who also played third base, was headed to Pacific to both hit and pitch had he not signed. He received a $235,000 bonus.

• The Braves, as expected, were major draft-and-follow players and signed several of their top picks. Righthander Tommy Hanson, who used excellent command of his fastball to dominate California's juco ranks this spring at Riverside Community College, signed, as did slugging first baseman Tyler Flowers out of Chipola (Fla.) Junior College. Flowers hit 16 homers this spring and also plays catcher, though his defensive tools are below-average. Among the Braves other signees were Manatee (Fla.) Junior College righthander James Curtis and speedy College of Southern Nevada outfielder Cole Miles.

• The Dodgers signed two draft-and-follows, lefthander Schuyler Tripp and third baseman Brian Mathews. Tripp signed for a $15,000 bonus despite dropping out of Indian Hills (Iowa) CC this spring. He showed enough velocity and arm strength to merit signing while pitching at Perfect Game USA's pre-draft showcase in his native Iowa.

• Several high-profile draft-and-follows were still playing the Junior College World Series in Grand Junction, Colo. That included the 10 players under control at Yavapai (Ariz.) Junior College, a list that includes outfielder Shane Keough (Athletics) and infielder Milton Loo (Reds). Those players have until 48 hours after their team's final game to sign.

• Several fifth-year seniors have signed before the draft. The list includes Tennessee first baseman Chris Kemp, who signed with the Rangers after hitting .314-11-41 for the Vols this season; Southeastern Louisiana righthander Jeremy Mizell, who signed with the Mets as the Lions' career leader in innings and strikeouts (299 IP, 235 Ks); Citadel lefty Ryan Owens; and Iowa lefthander Tim Gudex, who signed the Cubs after posting back-to-back seasons with ERAs at 1.11 and 1.15. The Giants also signed righthander Ryan McGrath out of Division II Cal State Stanislaus.

Buckeye33
05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Several high-profile draft-and-follows were still playing the Junior College World Series in Grand Junction, Colo. That included the 10 players under control at Yavapai (Ariz.) Junior College, a list that includes outfielder Shane Keough (Athletics) and infielder Milton Loo (Reds). Those players have until 48 hours after their team's final game to sign.

Shane Keough is from The Real Housewives of Orange County fame. Just a stupid little tidbit I figured I'd throw out there.

Hopefully Krivisky can get Loo to sign. You figure he is probably worth 500k. I would also guess that he would sign for that, or maybe 600k.

wolfboy
05-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Just another reason I love Redszone. You don't get stories like that in the mainstream media. Thanks a ton Coffeybro.

Amen to that.

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2006, 07:28 AM
One player still up in the air is middle infielder Milton Loo. Taken by the Reds in the ninth round, Loo's Yavapai JC team is still playing in the Juco World Series. Because he is still playing, the deadline is extended past the May 30 at midnight deadline for other DNFs. There will be a small window of opportunity for the Reds to get it done before Tuesday's draft, but it was unclear whether they would be able to come to terms with him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060530&content_id=1479518&vkey=draft2006&fext=.jsp

15fan
05-31-2006, 09:54 AM

:clap:

Never ever ever pass on an opportunity to put Scott Boras over a barrel.

And is Matt Harrington really one of Hochevar's teammates? All the more reason to call Hochevar's name and then give him a ridiculously low offer that he can take or leave...

M2
05-31-2006, 10:10 AM
And is Matt Harrington really one of Hochevar's teammates? All the more reason to call Hochevar's name and then give him a ridiculously low offer that he can take or leave...

Luke: Man, no way am I settling for that offer. I'll just go back into the draft and get my money next year!

Matt: Uh, I think I'd take it.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2006, 08:25 AM
CLOCK TICKING - As the Reds continue preparations for this year's draft, which begins Tuesday, there still are some loose ends from last year to attend to.

First on that list is attempting to sign infielder Milton Loo of Yavapai (Ariz.) College, the Reds' eighth-round draft pick last year. The Reds reportedly offered the native Hawaiian - whom they also drafted but couldn't sign in 2004 - a $200,000 bonus last summer. He opted to return to Yavapai and ended up hitting .351 with 14 doubles, four triples and five homers while stealing 32 bases during the regular season.

Yavapai is currently participating in the National Junior College World Series in Colorado, and the Reds won't be able to finalize anything with Loo until his season is complete. They hold his rights until 48 hours after his team's final game.

"We've got time to sign him," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. "We're in contact."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060601/SPT05/606010328/1035

Loo homered yesterday to help his team win and stay alive. They play an elimination game today.

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20060601/SPORTS/106010031

edabbs44
06-01-2006, 08:32 AM
CLOCK TICKING - As the Reds continue preparations for this year's draft, which begins Tuesday, there still are some loose ends from last year to attend to.

First on that list is attempting to sign infielder Milton Loo of Yavapai (Ariz.) College, the Reds' eighth-round draft pick last year. The Reds reportedly offered the native Hawaiian - whom they also drafted but couldn't sign in 2004 - a $200,000 bonus last summer. He opted to return to Yavapai and ended up hitting .351 with 14 doubles, four triples and five homers while stealing 32 bases during the regular season.

Yavapai is currently participating in the National Junior College World Series in Colorado, and the Reds won't be able to finalize anything with Loo until his season is complete. They hold his rights until 48 hours after his team's final game.

"We've got time to sign him," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. "We're in contact."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060601/SPT05/606010328/1035

Loo homered yesterday to help his team win and stay alive. They play an elimination game today.

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20060601/SPORTS/106010031
Glad to see Krivsky acknowledging the situation...I say they get him.

NC Reds
06-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Loo projects as a second or third rounder this year. Signing him is basically like picking up an additional high pick in this draft.

We need to get this done.

dougdirt
06-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Come on Krivsky, get it done!

New Fever
06-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Loo had a homerun and 5 rbi's in Yavapai 13-3 win yesterday. They play today at 3:00 in the Final Four.

Doc. Scott
06-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Yavapai is 2-1, so if they lose today they're done. They could be playing until Saturday if they continue to win.

klw
06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Who ever thought that we may be looking at a Yavapai College game thread?

GoReds
06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Marc's blog has a comment on the Loo situation...

"It may be the same guy posting over and over again, but someone has been asking the past few days about the Reds' progress with Milton Loo. As I mentioned in my notebook today (which for some reason is sporting the wrong byline), Loo's team is still alive in the Junior College World Series. The Reds can't really do anything until Yavapai is eliminated, but I spoke with scouting director Chris Buckley today and he said he's confident Loo will be in the fold by this weekend.

The only other draft-and-follow player the Reds have signed is catcher Jake Long of Modesto (Calif.) Junior College, their 37th-round pick last year. According to this story, he signed about a week and a half ago after a pretty nice season.

One other, non-draft-related note: Louisville has released Darrell May."

NewEraReds
06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Marc's blog has a comment on the Loo situation...

"It may be the same guy posting over and over again, but someone has been asking the past few days about the Reds' progress with Milton Loo. As I mentioned in my notebook today (which for some reason is sporting the wrong byline), Loo's team is still alive in the Junior College World Series. The Reds can't really do anything until Yavapai is eliminated, but I spoke with scouting director Chris Buckley today and he said he's confident Loo will be in the fold by this weekend.

The only other draft-and-follow player the Reds have signed is catcher Jake Long of Modesto (Calif.) Junior College, their 37th-round pick last year. According to this story, he signed about a week and a half ago after a pretty nice season.

One other, non-draft-related note: Louisville has released Darrell May."lets hope they can get it done. he can play any one of 2b, 3b, and ss i would assume and has all 5 tools. he would be a great addition to our depleted organization. people always bring up our poor pitching, but our field players are just as bad and may be worse, if thats possible

NC Reds
06-01-2006, 02:44 PM
I know it is not the most sound idea, but I would really like the Reds to draft college starters in the first three rounds. Signing Loo (a 2nd-3rd round tweener) would enable them to focus on arms early.

NewEraReds
06-01-2006, 02:59 PM
I know it is not the most sound idea, but I would really like the Reds to draft college starters in the first three rounds. Signing Loo (a 2nd-3rd round tweener) would enable them to focus on arms early.
im not saying i dont want them too draft pitchers a lot, but signing loo doesnt allow them to do that. we have virtually no position prospects in the minors

Doc. Scott
06-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Yavapai hammers Wallace State, 17-8. Our man Loo hits his second homer of the tournament, walks twice, scores twice, and drives in three.

They were down 7-1 going to the bottom of the sixth, and proceeded to score eight in the sixth and eight in the seventh. (Games are only seven innings, plus there's a ten-run rule, I think.)

http://www.jucogj.org/2006/stats_06/juco16.htm

So the point is that the window still hasn't kicked on.

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 10:04 PM
2 names i hadnt seen as signed

Angel Cabrera, ss, Connors State (Okla.) JC, 40th round
Blake King, rhp, Eastern Oklahoma State JC, 44th round

Aronchis
06-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Who is Blake King? I can't find him among the 2005 draftee's?

Doc. Scott
06-02-2006, 10:56 PM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/K/blake-king.shtml

Cardinals pick, not the Reds. Cabrera was a Reds pick, though, so that's three D-and-F signees.

Gallen5862
06-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Where is Angel Cabrera listed as signing at? That would be good news to add him to the Reds.

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:26 PM
sorry for that

both were listed at ba. they have a new story along right side, that has all signings per team

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:26 PM
here it is

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/261587.html

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Where is Angel Cabrera listed as signing at? That would be good news to add him to the Reds.
what do you know about him?

Gallen5862
06-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the info and link Newera Reds.

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:37 PM
here are stats i found

not sure how good they are as it only has him playing 16 games :)

http://www.njcaa.org/schmain.cfm?sid=7&divid=0&gender=m&slid=3&menu=11&cid=1255&seasonselect=321&schmenu=4

Gallen5862
06-02-2006, 11:38 PM
These were the Eight Reds draft and Follows. It appears that 3 of the 8 signed and we still have a shot to sign Loo.
9 12 272 Milton Loo 3b Yavapai (Ariz.) CC AZ (Still playing 48 hour window)
22 12 662 Robbie Nickols lhp Pima (Ariz.) CC AZ (signed)
37 12 1112 Jacob Long C Modesto (Calif.) JC CA (signed)
40 12 1201 Angel Cabrera SS Connors State (Okla.) JC OK (signed)
This gives the team a LHP, Catcher, and SS for the Rookie team before the draft starts. The team gets a chance for Loo as well.

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:42 PM
box from juco ws
http://www.jucogj.org/2006/stats_06/juco2.htm

found this, hornell dodger? summer league? lead team in hitting
http://www.hornelldodgers.com/stats.htm

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:43 PM
These were the Eight Reds draft and Follows. It appears that 3 of the 8 signed and we still have a shot to sign Loo.
9 12 272 Milton Loo 3b Yavapai (Ariz.) CC AZ (Still playing 48 hour window)
This gives the team a LHP, Catcher, and SS for the Rookie team before the draft starts. The team gets a chance for Loo as well.
gotta figure if loo signs, he is ticked to dayton. maybe sarasota. not sure who they have at 3rd, but dayton doesnt have a guy who always plays there

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Yavapai won 9-0

Loo another big night

2-4, 1 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI

http://www.hlic.com/juco2006/

gonna have to wait another day :)

7:30 tom

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Loo is doing all of this with wooden bats, which makes him even more intriguing. He is proving he can hit with a wood bat, albeit against lesser competition. If Loo signs, and all signs are pointing that he will sign, where do want the Reds to play him? I'm hoping they put him at a middle infield spot, either SS or 2B.

Red Heeler
06-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Loo is doing all of this with wooden bats, which makes him even more intriguing. He is proving he can hit with a wood bat, albeit against lesser competition. If Loo signs, and all signs are pointing that he will sign, where do want the Reds to play him? I'm hoping they put him at a middle infield spot, either SS or 2B.

Keep him at SS until he proves that he doesn't have the range, arm, whatever. Stud SS is as rare as a stud SP and just as valuable.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-03-2006, 09:00 AM

So once his season is over, would 250-300k get it done? Where is he ranked with other draft eligible players this year? Is he a top 3 round pick?

lollipopcurve
06-03-2006, 09:32 AM
So once his season is over, would 250-300k get it done? Where is he ranked with other draft eligible players this year? Is he a top 3 round pick?

I think it will take more. He's ranked the #64 talent in the draft by BA, so that puts his value at between $500,000 and $1,000,000 per last year's slot numbers. And Loo is solidifying his stock at the JUCO World Series these last few days.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Well, if we don't sign him, we'll know that him solidifying his stock at the WS made him too expensive for us.

If we sign him anyway, to me it will signal a change from how things were done in the past (cheap signability picks and punting 1st round picks).

I'll just wait and see.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-03-2006, 09:59 AM
With that said, if we do sign him, I'll still be watching for them to recoup the cost by punting a 2nd round or 3rd rounder by drafting a HS kid that is set on college.

This will be an interesting couple of weeks. We'll soon see if the new ownership and GM are truly set on fixing this abortion of a farm system or just blowing smoke up our collective behinds.

NewEraReds
06-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Keep him at SS until he proves that he doesn't have the range, arm, whatever. Stud SS is as rare as a stud SP and just as valuable.
he doesnt play ss now in jc:help:

flyer85
06-03-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm guessing ~750K to sign Loo as he has done nothing to hurt himself and the Reds like him. WOuld the Reds really want to see him go back in the draft over ~250K like Markakis.

dougdirt
06-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Im guessing that Loo will sign for $600,000 unless he hits 2 HR today.

Gallen5862
06-05-2006, 11:36 AM
These were the Eight Reds draft and Follows. It appears that 4 of the 8signed.
9 12 272 Milton Loo 3b Yavapai (Ariz.) CC AZ (Signed)

This gives the team a LHP, Catcher, and SS for the Rookie team before the draft starts. The team gets Loo who was listed as a Third Baseman. Signing half of our Draft and follows is impressive.

Gallen5862
06-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Here is a follow up to the Reds 2005 Draft and Follows who did not sign with the Reds. It looks like only Kyle Ginley was drafted. He has not signed yet with Toronto.
24 12 722 Kyle Ginley RHP St. Petersburg JC FL (Chosen in 17th round pick 510 by the Toronto Blue Jays.