PDA

View Full Version : 5/28/06 Reds vs. Diamondbacks - Game Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I was just about ti oredict that!

OnBaseMachine
I swear I was just about to predict a walkoff HR from Valentin!!!!

Amazing.

westofyou
Kearns, didn't spill the lug nuts and Valentine found the spare.

Reds Fanatic
Valentin homers to right!!!!!!!! Reds win 5-4!!!!! !

Matt700wlw
Wow!!!

SteelSD
Valentin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reds44
05-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Javy!!!!!

westofyou
Marty's heart just grew 2 sizes I bet.

oneupper
The world is good again!

Raisor
Valentin with the moneyshot!

Falls City Beer
The baseball gods send us a valentine.

Yachtzee
05-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Kearns, didn't spill the lug nuts and Valentine found the spare.

Visions of "A Christmas Story" just went through my head..."OH FUUUUDDDDGGGGE" :laugh:

pedro
Nice. This team needs a little pick me up. Good job Javy with the GW HR.

oregonred
Wow, did I pick the right time to log on. Huge comeback with 4 in the last two innings. Makes the frustrating series a little blip in the grand scheme of the season :)

westofyou
05-28-2006, 04:05 PM
That win will make the JTM almost tasty in the tri state area tonight.

oregonred
05-28-2006, 04:06 PM
That win will make the JTM almost tasty in the tri state area tonight.

And another day of ugly, soggy high 50s a bit drier here ;)

Gallen5862
"This one belongs to the Reds." Thank you Valentin.

Ron Madden
I Love Winning!!!!

Falls City Beer
Arroyo owes Valentin a stack of skin mags.

westofyou
05-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Arroyo keeps Pop Tarts in his locker, that's my Reds gossip for the day.

Matt700wlw
05-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I hope that sparks an awakening for this team. HUGE HUGE HUGE road trip starts tomorrow.

They don't survive it, this season may be over

oneupper
05-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Tony Womack and the cubs await.

Yachtzee
05-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Arroyo owes Valentin a stack of skin mags.

Maybe he could hook him up with a deal at Champion Ford of Alexandria. :)

Yachtzee
05-28-2006, 04:09 PM

What flavor?

Raisor

Which one, Brittney or Jessica?

oregonred
Cubs getting pounded once again today -- which is always nice especially when the good guys log a W.

Hoping they stay asleep in Dustyville for another few days.

kaldaniels
05-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Is it me or does Javy rip the ball straight down the line everytime batting LH...usually snared by the 1B, but man he hugs that line!

oneupper
05-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Is it me or does Javy rip the ball straight down the line everytime batting LH...usually snared by the 1B, but man he hugs that line!

If you look at his hit chart he either pulls or takes it left..but rarely up the middle.

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 04:20 PM
What flavor?
Would have to be unfrosted strawberry, the rest are gross

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Tony Womack and the cubs await.
Womack's revenge

oneupper
05-28-2006, 04:21 PM
I've got a question. Does Hatteberg's HR count as a PH since he came in on a double switch?

Ron Madden
05-28-2006, 04:30 PM
The Reds scored 5 runs and won the game, despite a low BA W/RISP. Funny how that works. :D

Yachtzee
05-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Would have to be unfrosted strawberry, the rest are gross

I prefer French Toast flavor.

Reds Fanatic
05-28-2006, 05:06 PM
I've got a question. Does Hatteberg's HR count as a PH since he came in on a double switch?
No because he was already in playing 1st at the time.

reds44
05-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh my gosh did the Reds Live gamethread turn into a mess.

flyer85
05-28-2006, 05:50 PM
BTW, I was at the game today and Dunn most decidely changes hos approach at the plate in this series. He stayed inside the ball on everything he hit today. All three of his outs in play went to LF as well as all of his foul balls. Today he just hit into luck and just missed a couple of pitches. I thought it looked like he was making an effort to stay inside the ball on Friday and Saturday but that like a lot things is difficult to tell on TV, much easier to tell in person.

BTW, I heard Marty ripping on Dunn after the 8th(I was in the club) and I was dumbfounded. Not one word of RA and his K, instead it was the fault of the guy who had a good AB and just happened to line the ball right at Gonzalez. :dunno:

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 05:51 PM
BTW, I heard Marty ripping on Dunn after the 8th(I was in the club) and I was dumbfounded. Not one word of RA and his K, instead it was the fault of the guy who had a good AB and just happened to line the ball right at Gonzalez. :dunno:
Not surprising, it's better to tune him out unless he's doing PBP

flyer85
05-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Not surprising, it's better to tune him out unless he's doing PBPI couldn't, they pipe the Reds Radio feed into the bathrooms. It was the only time I heard Marty's voice all day.

KittyDuran
05-28-2006, 05:58 PM
"This one belongs to the Reds." Thank you Valentin.Darn that Javy...;) I bet Chip a beer at the game in the bottom of the ninth if the Reds win...:p:

M2
05-28-2006, 05:59 PM

Hey Matt, any chance of Marty getting some kind of anger management therapy? Stuff like this is really embarrassing and I think he's lashing out in the hopes someone notices he's got a problem.

KittyDuran
05-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Not surprising, it's better to tune him out unless he's doing PBPI have a radio at the game and tune in during the top of the 2nd w/the beat writers and if anything is going on.

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 06:02 PM
It's not just marty that does that, quite a few fans engage in the same thing, I guess because Dunn is paid more hence he's to blame if something goes wrong, guys like Hatteberg/Aurilia don't get so much blame when they fail because they are older veteran types who aren't paid the big bucks.

On Friday leaving the park I heard quite a lot of "they sucked with RISP" no player names, just a general "They" but if Dunn had been the one to fail, even just one time it would have been all Dunn's fault.

:dunno:

flyer85
05-28-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a radio at the game and tune in during the top of the 2nd w/the beat writers and if anything is going on.I did that last year at home and at the game but I have stopped doing even that this year. After ST I have listened maybe twice. If it not on the tube or I am not at the game I just follow on the internet.

flyer85
05-28-2006, 06:06 PM
If there was something to rant about today it would have been having a lineup with RA batting 4th which allowed the Snakes to do what they did in the 8th inning. The lineup made no sense.

traderumor
05-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Marty complaining about Dunn :deadhorse

Complaining about Marty complaining about Dunn :deadhorse

KittyDuran
05-28-2006, 06:22 PM

Complaining about Marty complaining about Dunn :deadhorseYou wanna hear complaining about Dunn - should've sat with me and Chip at the last two games. You would have gotten an earful. :(

westofyou
05-28-2006, 06:29 PM
People used to complain about Klu and Robby too, the everyday slugger is a big target in the what have done for me lately atmosphere of Cincinnati baseball.

Caveat Emperor
05-28-2006, 06:32 PM
BTW, I was at the game today and Dunn most decidely changes hos approach at the plate in this series. He stayed inside the ball on everything he hit today.

It's been going on since Detroit -- he took a pitch the other way on a broken bat to drop a double into left field in the opener to that series.

I'll have to look more closely, but he's also starting to shorten his swing a bit when he gets down in the count. He fouled off two pitches on good defensive swings in the 8th that probably would've been called strikes (given how poorly the zone was being enforced).

I suspect Chambliss has been working with him to try and do some different things at the plate.

Falls City Beer
05-28-2006, 06:37 PM
This team needs a Mike Cameron circa 99 type player in the worst way. Strong OB plus good contact guy--but athletic (unlike Casey--whom I know you all are thinking of right now). Plus defender.

If there's anyone in the majors like that, Krivsky needs to swap Kearns for him.

This team needs a new wrinkle in the middle of its lineup. Too stagnant, slow, and undynamic.

oneupper
05-28-2006, 06:39 PM
If there was something to rant about today it would have been having a lineup with RA batting 4th which allowed the Snakes to do what they did in the 8th inning. The lineup made no sense.

Yep. Particularly since the D'backs have no lefties in the pen.

oneupper
05-28-2006, 06:40 PM
This team needs a Mike Cameron circa 99 type player in the worst way. Strong OB plus good contact guy--but athletic (unlike Casey--whom I know you all are thinking of right now). Plus defender.

If there's anyone in the majors like that, Krivsky needs to swap Kearns for him.

This team needs a new wrinkle in the middle of its lineup. Too stagnant, slow, and undynamic.

Cameron was (is) hardly a contact guy. He can K with the best of them.

Falls City Beer
05-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Cameron was (is) hardly a contact guy. He can K with the best of them.

Moreso than Dunn and Kearns. Even when it's not hit contact. Plus the ability to take an extra base.

Caveat Emperor
05-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Moreso than Dunn and Kearns. Even when it's not hit contact. Plus the ability to take an extra base.

Theoretically, that's what Brandon Phillips can do if Chambliss can work with him to further improve his plate dicipline.

Having Phillips back around 6 or 7 gives the lineup a good dynamic -- decent speed with any combiantion of Lopez, Freel, Phillips, and Encarnacion, power with Dunn, Griffey and Kearns. It's when you get into having Hatteberg and Aurillia in the same lineup along with the 3 sluggers (and the catcher) that everything starts to slow down at the back.

Falls City Beer
05-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Theoretically, that's what Brandon Phillips can do if Chambliss can work with him to further improve his plate dicipline.

Having Phillips back around 6 or 7 gives the lineup a good dynamic -- decent speed with any combiantion of Lopez, Freel, Phillips, and Encarnacion, power with Dunn, Griffey and Kearns. It's when you get into having Hatteberg and Aurillia in the same lineup along with the 3 sluggers (and the catcher) that everything starts to slow down at the back.

I honestly don't see Phillips maintaining a .350+ OBP. His contact has been decent so far, but he never walks and is not a particularly cagey baserunner.

Well, truth be told, Encarnacion's the guy who needs to start hitting again, and hitting higher up in the lineup. And yes, Rich needs to be gone yesterday.

reds44
05-28-2006, 07:00 PM
BP doesn't even have a .350 OBP right now, and he is hitting .304. Unless he drops down to .250 or in that area he should be the starting 2B. He was a project when he got him, and he has amazed us all.

Caveat Emperor
05-28-2006, 07:07 PM
I honestly don't see Phillips maintaining a .350+ OBP. His contact has been decent so far, but he never walks and is not a particularly cagey baserunner.

Nor do I -- but it wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised by something. He's weathered his first big slump and popped back nicely, which will be key for a player like him whose OBP is hit-driven. As it stands right now, he's walking once every 21 PAs. If he can get that number down to 1BB per, say, 12-15 PAs, then his OBP will be able to withstand a drop in his hit rate. Plus, his increased pitch selectivity will produce better ABs than his current hack-n-hope method.

I see Chambliss at work with him already, just watching him at the plate. Hopefully good things continue to happen.

Well, truth be told, Encarnacion's the guy who needs to start hitting again, and hitting higher up in the lineup. And yes, Rich needs to be gone yesterday.

He hasn't looked good at all -- hasn't been seeing the ball and hasn't been patient at the plate. He's been fishing for a lot of breaking balls down by his shoelaces and pitchers keep throwing them there. As he slumps, he's also starting to press and we're not seeing that good patience he exhibited to start the season.

He's a young player, he'll battle through this. As for Rich, I have no problem with his performance thus far. Productivity at limited cost is just what the doctor ordered for a 1B platoon -- so long as it's him OR Hatteberg and never both.

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 07:52 PM
I'd slide EE in the 2 spot if Lopez is leading off, get him some good pitches

Blimpie
05-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Cubs getting pounded once again today -- which is always nice especially when the good guys log a W.

Hoping they stay asleep in Dustyville for another few days.What is that, like 20 losses in their last 24 games?

redsmetz
05-28-2006, 08:45 PM
The Reds scored 5 runs and won the game, despite a low BA W/RISP. Funny how that works. :D

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone else wrote this, but I knew as soon as Narron got tossed that we had a chance to come back and win this game. I was glad to see Narron jump in to shield Dunn and I figured this was the manager getting fiery for his team. Marty intimated that it was simply because he'd had a enough of watching 'em, but I think Narron is an old-school sort of guy who figured this was a good time to get tossed for the team. Just my opinion.

Kc61
05-28-2006, 09:00 PM

I have no doubt that Krivsky will get a new centerfielder for this team. Maybe Griffey gets traded, maybe he moves to left (Dunn to first), I don't know the exact scenario. But the Reds outfield is just too slow right now. The team needs more athletes. Phillips adds this element in the infield, but they need more.

Agree, FCB.

reds44
05-28-2006, 09:03 PM
I have no doubt that Krivsky will get a new centerfielder for this team. Maybe Griffey gets traded, maybe he moves to left (Dunn to first), I don't know the exact scenario. But the Reds outfield is just too slow right now. The team needs more athletes. Phillips adds this element in the infield, but they need more.

Agree, FCB.
I agree 100% with both of you. We need more athletes, and there is not 1 position in baseball that you need a good athlete in, then CF.

Caveat Emperor
05-28-2006, 09:06 PM
I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone else wrote this, but I knew as soon as Narron got tossed that we had a chance to come back and win this game. I was glad to see Narron jump in to shield Dunn and I figured this was the manager getting fiery for his team. Marty intimated that it was simply because he'd had a enough of watching 'em, but I think Narron is an old-school sort of guy who figured this was a good time to get tossed for the team. Just my opinion.

That AB also featured possibly the worst display of umpiring I've seen in the past few years. Dunn took a called strike 2 on a pitch over his hands and was rung up on a pitch that was visibly outside even after the catcher pulled it back towards the plate.

If Narron doesn't go out to get a few words in after those calls, he may as well never leave the dugout.

Falls City Beer
05-28-2006, 09:08 PM
I want athletes, but I want athletes with patience at the plate and with good plate coverage. Sounds like a tough find--that's because it is.

I guess all I'm asking for is for Encarnacion to pick it up. He's been a dog lately, but when he's on, I really think he's a difference maker for this lineup.

redsmetz
05-28-2006, 09:10 PM
That AB also featured possibly the worst display of umpiring I've seen in the past few years. Dunn took a called strike 2 on a pitch over his hands and was rung up on a pitch that was visibly outside even after the catcher pulled it back towards the plate.

If Narron doesn't go out to get a few words in after those calls, he may as well never leave the dugout.

Wasn't there a pitch last night in which Nuxhall called Ball Four and then was absolutely dismayed when he realized the ump had called it Strike Three to end the inning? Am I remembering that correctly?

kaldaniels
05-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Wasn't there a pitch last night in which Nuxhall called Ball Four and then was absolutely dismayed when he realized the ump had called it Strike Three to end the inning? Am I remembering that correctly?

It was LaRue's K...didn't see it but heard Nuxie's call.

Yachtzee
05-28-2006, 10:12 PM

Complaining about Marty complaining about Dunn :deadhorse

Well, unfortunately, Marty's act today was particularly egregious. All season long he has complained about Dunn not making contact with runners in scoring position. He has constantly stated that Dunn's job is to put the bat on the ball and drive in runs. In today's game, Rich Aurilia, a Marty favorite, struck out looking with the tying run on third. Marty says nothing. Dunn follows, works the count full, fouling off a number of pitches. Then he lines out to Gonzalez. Instead of taking the opportunity to make not of Dunn's solid attempt to put the ball in play, Marty took it as an opportunity dig on Dunn for walking or striking out with RISP. This time he went so far as take a swipe at his OBP and those who "go ga-ga" over that particular stat. The problem I have with it is that it was all BS. Dunn tried to do exactly what Marty has been harping on him to do. Yet, because it didn't fall for a hit, Marty ignores it and uses the "missed opportunity" to get on his soap box.

If that's calling it like he sees it, then he needs to get his head out of his behind.

Ron Madden
05-28-2006, 10:13 PM

The purpose of my post was to show somethings (BA/RISP) aren't always as important as they seem.

My post was made in jest, based in fact. Sorry if it offended you or anyone else. What can I say? I thought it was a perfect time to disspell a myth with a lil' humor. :)

M2
05-28-2006, 10:17 PM
If that's calling it like he sees it, then he needs to get his head out of his behind.

"My prostate is a beautiful ruby red and thanks to good people at Gold Bond, my hemorrhoids have cleared up completely. Looks like that five-way I ate before the game will be making an exit between the 5th and 6th innings."

KronoRed
05-28-2006, 10:41 PM
"My prostate is a beautiful ruby red and thanks to good people at Gold Bond, my hemorrhoids have cleared up completely. Looks like that five-way I ate before the game will be making an exit between the 5th and 6th innings."
If it comes to that I think the Reds would have to step in :lol:

traderumor
05-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Well, unfortunately, Marty's act today was particularly egregious. All season long he has complained about Dunn not making contact with runners in scoring position. He has constantly stated that Dunn's job is to put the bat on the ball and drive in runs. In today's game, Rich Aurilia, a Marty favorite, struck out looking with the tying run on third. Marty says nothing. Dunn follows, works the count full, fouling off a number of pitches. Then he lines out to Gonzalez. Instead of taking the opportunity to make not of Dunn's solid attempt to put the ball in play, Marty took it as an opportunity dig on Dunn for walking or striking out with RISP. This time he went so far as take a swipe at his OBP and those who "go ga-ga" over that particular stat. The problem I have with it is that it was all BS. Dunn tried to do exactly what Marty has been harping on him to do. Yet, because it didn't fall for a hit, Marty ignores it and uses the "missed opportunity" to get on his soap box.

Fair enough, but this subject is getting pounded deeper and deeper into the ground. Maybe Marty should just be thought of like a board troll and ignored when he makes "Adam Dunn sucks in every area of his game" remarks, esp. since management agrees with those who consistently provide a reasonable defense of his assets and worth to this team.

redsmetz
05-29-2006, 08:18 AM
The purpose of my post was to show somethings (BA/RISP) aren't always as important as they seem.

My post was made in jest, based in fact. Sorry if it offended you or anyone else. What can I say? I thought it was a perfect time to disspell a myth with a lil' humor. :)

Ron, I'm not sure what you're responding to here. I didnt' say anything about BA/RISP, nor did I respond to a post about it. I just found the post about the ump making a bad call to note that I thought Narron getting tossed would jump start the team. You didn't offend me - to be honest, many of these initials (BA/RISP, OPB, SLG, EIEIO, LSMFT, etc.) just make my eyes glaze over and leaves me in awe of many of the people on this board. :)