PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Houston

edabbs44
05-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Up 1-0 in the 7th, 2 on and 2 out. Albert up. Take a wild guess what happens.

3-1 St Louis...this one hurts b/c it seems like no one knows NOT TO PITCH TO PUJOLS.

Joseph
05-29-2006, 06:44 PM
I think unless 1B was the open base you have to pitch to him, you can't put the go ahead runner in scoring position. But it would have to be an unintentional intentional walk deal, trying to make him get himself out.

edabbs44
05-29-2006, 06:52 PM
I think unless 1B was the open base you have to pitch to him, you can't put the go ahead runner in scoring position. But it would have to be an unintentional intentional walk deal, trying to make him get himself out.
You are correct, but the count was 2-0 as well. I guess that was relevant to my thought process. :) At that point the pitch should have been nowhere near the plate. Just my opinion.

TeamBoone
05-29-2006, 07:13 PM
St Louis took it... 3-1.

Crosley68
05-29-2006, 07:30 PM
I might walk him 12 times in our series.....I might lose all 3 but Albert would not beat me by himself.

saboforthird
05-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Actually, I am thanking Houston and St. Louis for settling this, right here and right now. As a Reds fan this "pretending" (I'm as guilty as the rest of the lot) that we're going to contend for anything this year, has got to stop. That's what is happening. Already the Reds are a game out of the wild card race, but a small losing streak could easily put them out 3-5 games. After what I saw today, there's not much that can convince me the Reds can do enough right to make something out of this season. If I were Krivsky/future manager (don't think it will be Narron) I'd try to build a lineup of:

1 - Lopez (2B)
2 - Phillips (SS)
3 - Votto (1B)
4 - Kearns (RF)
5 - Dunn (LF)
6 - Encarnacion (3B)
7 - Valentin (C)
8 - Denorfia (CF)

Bench:

Larue (C)
Hatteberg (1B)
Freel (OF/IF)
Griffey (OF/1B)

I know it sounds crazy to have Griffey on the bench, but he's another injury waiting to happen and he's a heck of a 2-strike hitter (great for pinch-hitting). Also, I don't know much about Denorfia and Votto, but I believe Deno to be a guy that can get on base, and that Votto is a power hitter. What do you all think? :D

edabbs44
05-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Actually, I am thanking Houston and St. Louis for settling this, right here and right now. As a Reds fan this "pretending" (I'm as guilty as the rest of the lot) that we're going to contend for anything this year, has got to stop. That's what is happening. Already the Reds are a game out of the wild card race, but a small losing streak could easily put them out 3-5 games. After what I saw today, there's not much that can convince me the Reds can do enough right to make something out of this season. If I were Krivsky/future manager (don't think it will be Narron) I'd try to build a lineup of:

1 - Lopez (2B)
2 - Phillips (SS)
3 - Votto (1B)
4 - Kearns (RF)
5 - Dunn (LF)
6 - Encarnacion (3B)
7 - Valentin (C)
8 - Denorfia (CF)

Bench:

Larue (C)
Hatteberg (1B)
Freel (OF/IF)
Griffey (OF/1B)

I know it sounds crazy to have Griffey on the bench, but he's another injury waiting to happen and he's a heck of a 2-strike hitter (great for pinch-hitting). Also, I don't know much about Denorfia and Votto, but I believe Deno to be a guy that can get on base, and that Votto is a power hitter. What do you all think? :D
I think you should lay off the sauce this early in the week. :evil:

Unassisted
05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
this one hurts b/c it seems like no one knows NOT TO PITCH TO PUJOLS.I wonder if Barry Bonds thinks there is a conspiracy afoot, since Pujols is getting more good pitches than he is. I wouldn't mind if there really was such a conspiracy. :evil:

Reds1
05-29-2006, 08:34 PM

1 - Lopez (2B)
2 - Phillips (SS)
3 - Votto (1B)
4 - Kearns (RF)
5 - Dunn (LF)
6 - Encarnacion (3B)
7 - Valentin (C)
8 - Denorfia (CF)

Bench:

Larue (C)
Hatteberg (1B)
Freel (OF/IF)
Griffey (OF/1B)

I can say I wouldn't be going to anymore games with that line up. - No, not really but 1 game out of the WC at this point is much better then I expected and EZ did a good job pitching. For our 5th SP we are so much better there. Woods was just on. We can take the next two and then be right back on top in the WC. Dodgers aren't that great.

TeamBoone
05-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Actually, I am thanking Houston and St. Louis for settling this, right here and right now. As a Reds fan this "pretending" (I'm as guilty as the rest of the lot) that we're going to contend for anything this year, has got to stop.

Huh? I'm not stopping anything.

Houston and St. Louis are both struggling so far... Houston even more so than the Reds.

I'm not stopping and I'm not pretending. The Reds have just as good a chance as any team in this division... at least at this point.

I know it sounds crazy to have Griffey on the bench, but he's another injury waiting to happen and he's a heck of a 2-strike hitter (great for pinch-hitting).

So you want to protect Jr. by leaving him riding the pine? I'd prefer he play until/if that injury happens.

And Jr. has NEVER been a good pinch-hitter.

saboforthird
05-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Huh? I'm not stopping anything.

Houston and St. Louis are both struggling so far... Houston even more so than the Reds.

I'm not stopping and I'm not pretending. The Reds have just as good a chance as any team in this division... at least at this point.

So you want to protect Jr. by leaving him riding the pine? I'd prefer he play until/if that injury happens.

And Jr. has NEVER been a good pinch-hitter.

Okay, so in one vein you seem to not be willing to look at the future. The future says the Reds have NO CHANCE of making the playoffs in 2006. They're too one-dimensional. Eventually lack of talent, that combined with injuries, will do you in. Yet, in another vein you're saying that history says Junior has never been a good pinch-hitter? If memory serves me correct he had a pinch-hit HR not long ago.

Krusty
05-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Why anyone pitches to Pujols with the game on the line is crazy. You take the same approach as teams have done with Bonds the past four seasons.

I would rather have Scott Rolen beat me than Albert Pujols.

cincyinco
05-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Okay, so in one vein you seem to not be willing to look at the future. The future says the Reds have NO CHANCE of making the playoffs in 2006. They're too one-dimensional. Eventually lack of talent, that combined with injuries, will do you in. Yet, in another vein you're saying that history says Junior has never been a good pinch-hitter? If memory serves me correct he had a pinch-hit HR not long ago.

The Reds have been a relatively healthy ball club so far this year, by baseball standards. That said, I think our lack of making the playoffs is more a lack of defense and bad pitching than it is a lack of talent combined with injuries.

MattyHo4Life
05-29-2006, 10:22 PM

What do you mean? The Cardinals have the best record in the NL. How are they struggling? Houston has been struggling a lot since their fast start.

remdog
05-29-2006, 10:33 PM

1 - Lopez (2B)
2 - Phillips (SS)
3 - Votto (1B)
4 - Kearns (RF)
5 - Dunn (LF)
6 - Encarnacion (3B)
7 - Valentin (C)
8 - Denorfia (CF)

Bench:

Larue (C)
Hatteberg (1B)
Freel (OF/IF)
Griffey (OF/1B)

You didn't say when you would like to see that lineup in place----2006, 2007? If it's this year then there is little to no chance that Denorfia will replace Jr. sans injury. I also don't see Phillips and Lopez changing positions until next season. Votto is no where near ready and frankly, as poorly as LaRue has played this year, Valentin is still a slug compared to him.

If this is an '07 lineup I still don't expect to see Votto in it nor do I expect to see Hatteberg on the roster (at least at this point).

Just my viewpoint, of course.

Rem

TeamBoone
05-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Okay, so in one vein you seem to not be willing to look at the future. The future says the Reds have NO CHANCE of making the playoffs in 2006. They're too one-dimensional. Eventually lack of talent, that combined with injuries, will do you in.

Where did I saw I wasn't willing to look at the future? My interpretation of your comment was that you were talking about right now ( "As a Reds fan this "pretending" (I'm as guilty as the rest of the lot) that we're going to contend for anything this year, has got to stop."). Therefore, I responded how I fell right now... and this is why I'm not yet time to throw in the towel. Personally, I think the Reds have a decent team, a contending team. Going into today's games:

- the Cubs are dismal right now (21 losses in May so far; currently 6 in a row).
- the Cards aren't exactly cruising to easy wins (close scoring whether winning or losing) and have struggled a bit offensively; without Pujols to save the day on so many occasions, they'd be in big trouble (they've lost 10 in May so far; 5 by less than a 3 runs).
- the Astros have been putrid over the last month (they've lost 17 games in May so far). SF swept them and every game was a blowout; they lost 3 of 4 to the Nats and 3 of 4 to Pittsburgh.

Granted, the Reds have lost 13 in May, mostly due to sleepy offense and a few key errors. Seven of the 13 were lost by less than 3 runs (3 of those 13 by only one run).

This offense simply can not stay in its current slump for much longer; its too good not to come alive and that event is overdue!

Yet, in another vein you're saying that history says Junior has never been a good pinch-hitter? If memory serves me correct he had a pinch-hit HR not long ago.

There is no other vein because I never said I wasn't looking at the future only responding how I feel now.

And, yes, Jr. had a pinch-hit HR... but he does not do well CONSISTENTLY in the pinch hitter category and he's even admitted it. It's been tried in previous seasons:

From 2003-2005, he has pinch hit 12 times for 3 hits (all singles), 5 SO, and 1 walk.

TeamBoone
05-30-2006, 12:35 AM
What do you mean? The Cardinals have the best record in the NL. How are they struggling? Houston has been struggling a lot since their fast start.

Only by two wins... regardless, they've been struggling with several very close games (win and lose). They are not a cake walk.

MattyHo4Life
05-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Only by two wins... regardless, they've been struggling with several very close games (win and lose). They are not a cake walk.

The Cardinals were struggling a month ago when the Reds and Astros both swept them. Since then they have gone 16-6. I don't think winning close games is considered struggling. That is what good teams do.