PDA

View Full Version : Must win tomorrow?

flynn78
05-31-2006, 12:02 AM
I think that it is. We need a great game in the worst way. Momentum going to Houston would be key. There has been great transition in the pitching ranks (including the trading for Yan) and I think that it will take hold. I'm not promising great, but a step toward respectability. If we can put our finger in the dike like the little Dutch boy for just a little bit longer we can come back. We are not where we want to be, but a 6 of 8 string could give us the momentum to stay away from the June Swoon we are used to. Keep the faith, because right now it is all that some of us have.

remdog
05-31-2006, 12:14 AM
Of course it's a 'must win' tomorrow. I'll actually be home to watch the game and I'm not interested in having to throw the remote through the TV screen. ;)

The Reds have been playing crappy ball for most of the month of May. You name it, they have screwed it up----pitching, hitting, defense, they all have been horrid. A win going into June would at least sound a positive note. :eek:

Rem

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Getting swept by the cubs is too bitter to contemplate

flynn78
05-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Getting swept by the cubs is too bitter to contemplate
Agreed Krono. I will not stand for it. If I have to drive to Chicago and grab Eric Milton coming out of the cab to the ballpark I will!;)

macro
05-31-2006, 12:31 AM
There are no "must-win" games in MLB in May. A 162-game season is simply too long to isolate one game as "must-win", unless it's September and magic numbers are being discussed.

Caveat Emperor
05-31-2006, 12:35 AM
I don't think tomorrow is "must win" because I think the last few weeks have shown pretty conclusively that this team is a lot closer to the preseason projections than the hot April start.

Ideally, you don't want to ever get swept -- but I think, after watching White and Mercker get rocked, this club has bigger fish to fry than 1 game with the Cubs. There are problems, going back to the beginning of the year, that aren't going away and are going to keep costing this team ballgames in the future, even if they come away with a win tomorrow.

jimbo
05-31-2006, 01:48 AM
I don't think tomorrow is "must win" because I think the last few weeks have shown pretty conclusively that this team is a lot closer to the preseason projections than the hot April start.

I totally agree with this statement. This team is clearly showing that they are not, with it's current makeup, a playoff contender. The thing that I can't believe hearing myself say is......the blame can no longer be put on the shoulders of the starting pitching.

If this team is not contending come the All-Star break, and I have serious doubts they will be, I think some hard decisions are going to have to be made. In my opinion, a serious house cleaning will be in order. Keeping a few core players, Griffey being the only one safe because of his contract and injury history making it difficult for a trade, to build around should be considered but everyone else is tradeable.

I see Griffey, Dunn, and Phillips as a core I would work around. I realize Dunn is not a favorite here but the simple fact he will put up 40+ hrs, 100+ rbis, and 100+ runs scored a season is enough for me to look past he defensive liabilities. You build a strong defense around him so you can hide him. Phillips is probably the best defensive infielder on the team and I can picture him nicely at short.......plus, he has speed and a good bat. Everybody else in my opinion you shop around for players who are smart, play good fundamental baseball, good sound defense, and are good "hitters." By "hitters," I mean guys who have good plate discipline, are able to manufacture runs consistantly, and are productive with RISP.

I've been defending Narron because of the team's play last season and the fast start this season, but I also have some doubts about him. The constant daily lineup changes does not allow for much stability and I've always been a fan of a manager who has clearly defined roles for his players. I think this team needs a manager who can get in a player's face when needed, but also has the team's respect and who they know has their back. I think the Reds missed the boat with Leyland, he is the type of manager that in my opinion this team needs.

I realize my thoughts may not be all that popular here, but it's merely my opinions. I don't think this is a knee-jerk reaction because I haven't given up on this team entirely, but what I saw tonight is a team not even close to being a serious contender but more like what Caveat Emperor implied....closer to the last place team most predicted before the season began.

TeamBoone
05-31-2006, 01:52 AM
IMHO, this team is not nearly as bad as they've appeared to be in May. I truly think they bounce back... especially if they do well against Houston and St. Louis over the 6 road games coming up.

Houston beat St. Louis tonight.

zombie-a-go-go
05-31-2006, 07:11 AM
This team confuses me. Last few years it's always been the SP that's held them back. Now the SP looks good and the offense is wilting?

They should bounce back. The key offensive players from last season are still in place, and the SP is better than anyone could have hoped going in to the season. Hopefully the defensive black holes on the left side of the infield will settle down as the season progresses.

This is sunshine, I know, but I have to believe that the preseason pundits' predictions revolved largely around the ballclub's horrific SP. If they were wrong about the starters - and they were - then their predictions hold no water.

cumberlandreds
05-31-2006, 07:23 AM
I think the cats out of the bag on this team. They are in a freefall that will probably last through the month of June. I hope I am wrong but I don't think enough of these guys have the intensity on the day in day out basis to be a consistent winner. I think Krivsky and company will do some serious evaluating of everyone this summer and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple big names moved out. Either late this season or during the winter.

Newman4
05-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Houston and St. Louis over the 6 road games coming up.

This 6 game stretch pretty much determines contender/pretender status IMO.

dabvu2498
05-31-2006, 08:53 AM
This 6 game stretch pretty much determines contender/pretender status IMO.
I'd say the last 2-3 weeks have doen that as well.

Newman4
05-31-2006, 08:58 AM
I'd say the last 2-3 weeks have doen that as well.

That's true. Certainly has put them team's back against the wall. But, 5 games back in the division and 2 games back in the Wild Card, a 4-2 or 5-1 trip would put them in contender mode IMO.