PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America Premium Content

GIK
05-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Please do not post any premium content from Baseball America. We have been contacted by their attorneys regarding the posting of their Top Draft Prospects list, which was immediately removed from our site. As RedsZone does not have prominent attorneys on retainer ;) , I'd rather not get involved with theirs. Thank you.

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
But we can still post non-premium stuff as long as a link is included...right?

Red Leader
05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Noted.

Even with Jim Coombs on hand, I think its best just to avoid this problem altogether.

edabbs44
05-31-2006, 01:45 PM
I would assume that is correct. I will abide by their request.

GIK
05-31-2006, 01:47 PM

Yes, that is correct (unless told otherwise by their law firm :p: ).

Red Leader
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Damn Wal-Mart!

Wait, that's another issue.

Nevermind.

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2006, 01:57 PM
The Baseball America attorney's name didn't happen to be Denny Crane did it? We really, really don't want that guy after us.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7d/Shatner_as_Denny_Crane.jpg/180px-Shatner_as_Denny_Crane.jpg

Outshined_One
06-01-2006, 12:10 AM
I've talked with people on other message boards who have been emailed about posting copyrighted content. Basically, copy-pasting any of it is a no-no. However, if you provide a summary in your own words, it's fine. Just be sure to provide a link and indicate that it's Premium Content.

KronoRed
06-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Just a case of the MAN keeping us down ;)

LoganBuck
06-01-2006, 07:39 AM
I've talked with people on other message boards who have been emailed about posting copyrighted content. Basically, copy-pasting any of it is a no-no. However, if you provide a summary in your own words, it's fine. Just be sure to provide a link and indicate that it's Premium Content.

Outshined is right, as a veteran of Ohio State boards, we have covered that one a whole lot. If you provide a link, you can provide a brief synopsis. Such as:

The Reds want to draft Jay Bruce according to: ww.baseballamerica.com/draftquips05

Ga_Red
06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
2/09/07

BuckeyeRedleg
06-02-2006, 12:28 AM
I have googled terms, player names, and phrases before and one of the top search sites listed will be a link to a thread from the RedsZone, FWIW.

I'm thinking after it was pasted in here, someone maybe noticed a link to RedsZone after after they googled "Baseball America top draft picks" or something.

For example of what I'm talking about, I was doing some SABR related research and I googled "BRA batters run average" and wouldn't you know it, six links down from the top was an archived thread from the Redszone. It's still there as of today.

Caveat Emperor
06-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Of course, if you were to post in Reds Live where you have to be a registered RZ member to view (thus eliminating pesky google/msn/yahoo spiders that archive pages for search)... :evil: (PS don't break the law, I like reading RZ too much to have it shut down)

Oh well...I miss when the internet was free, but I guess it's the price we pay for having niche services like BA available online. Though, as niche services, they're much more likely to be zealous in protecting content that could earn them subscribers as opposed to an ESPN.com, where they'll just shrug off such acts due to sheer member volume.

WVRed
06-04-2006, 03:39 PM
GIK,

I know im guilty of this as much as anybody, but I know some websites that do not allow posting copyright material alltogether. You can post a link to the Cincinnati Enquirer, etc. but thats it.

I guess i'll just have to use MLB.com to post the draft coverage this year.:(

Outshined_One
06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with posting facts. If BA says a guy is 6'4, 225 pounds, throws a 90-92 fastball, a solid curve, and a developing changeup, you can pretty much say that as long as you don't copy-paste. Posting opinions and exclusive material is where things get dicey.

I think the scouting reports (IN ALL CAPS LIKE DEATH IN A TERRY PRATCHETT BOOK) are available to everyone and okay to post.

WVRed
06-04-2006, 07:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with posting facts. If BA says a guy is 6'4, 225 pounds, throws a 90-92 fastball, a solid curve, and a developing changeup, you can pretty much say that as long as you don't copy-paste. Posting opinions and exclusive material is where things get dicey.

I think the scouting reports (IN ALL CAPS LIKE DEATH IN A TERRY PRATCHETT BOOK) are available to everyone and okay to post.

As long as its free.

GriffeyFan
06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Please do not post any premium content from Baseball America. We have been contacted by their attorneys regarding the posting of their Top Draft Prospects list, which was immediately removed from our site. As RedsZone does not have prominent attorneys on retainer ;) , I'd rather not get involved with theirs. Thank you.

Wow, really? Did they say how they found out about it? Is RedsZone that much in the public eye?

I wonder if they have their "minions" out there searching baseball's team message boards looking for copyright infringement.

Boss-Hog
06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Wow, really? Did they say how they found out about it? Is RedsZone that much in the public eye?

I wonder if they have their "minions" out there searching baseball's team message boards looking for copyright infringement.
RedsZone is listed fairly early in most search engine results.

Heath
06-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Ya know, when you are the best at what you are, well, people kick down the doors and party with you.

It's part of the whole thang.

EX BRAVEDAD
12-09-2006, 02:47 PM
You can wipe your ass with that rag

BoydsOfSummer
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Never wiped the rump with it, but it has provided countless hours of toidy reading. :D

jojo
12-15-2006, 11:33 PM
As long as its free.

even if the content is free, the author should be acknowledged...... :thumbup:

TeamCasey
02-01-2007, 11:55 AM
RedsZone is listed fairly early in most search engine results.

Showoff! ;) :devil:

Eric_Davis
05-07-2007, 12:47 AM
even if the content is free, the author should be acknowledged...... :thumbup:

:thumbup:

mbgrayson
05-07-2007, 02:36 AM
What about "fair use"? Copyright law allows use of a small portion of copyrighted material, with or without author's permission, I believe.....the problem is that it can take a court to determine if the use was 'fair'....

See this site (http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/9-b.html)for more on fair use....

GoReds33
08-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Ltlabner
08-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Not sure how I didn't notice this thread before.

What's the ruling on posting the reports from BP sortable statistical reports? They are premium content, however they are simply a reporting of the facts (ie. VORP, RAP, OBP, etc).

For example, two players are being discussed, you could do a custom stat report on BP, copy and paste the comparison numbers to a post and use that as general information for the board or ammo for your agrument.

Certinally don't want to make anyone's life more difficult so if it's a no-no I'll stop doing it.

Joseph
08-18-2007, 08:31 PM
If it's information you can get anywhere, I'd say there is no real issue with. They don't own stats, nor do they editorialize them in their presentation. So if you use their 'system' to look up the stats, its still not their content. Their system is the premium feature there, not the information.

mbgrayson
09-14-2007, 02:15 AM
There is now a group called Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA). CCIA, whose members include major tech players like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo, have launched a campaign fighting "copyright abuse", whcih they define as overzealous limitations on copyrighted material. This consortium emphasizes that 'fair use', the reasonable use of a portion of a copyrighted item, must be defended.

HERE is a link (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2183017,00.asp) to an article about this campaign, and HERE is a link (http://www.defendfairuse.org/index.html)to this group's web site.

Next time RedsZone gets a threatening letter from Baseball America, we should sick these boys on 'em! There is a form on the second website linked above to report copyright 'abuse'. ...LOL.

cincinnati chili
09-17-2007, 02:11 AM
There is now a group called Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA). CCIA, whose members include major tech players like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo, have launched a campaign fighting "copyright abuse", whcih they define as overzealous limitations on copyrighted material. This consortium emphasizes that 'fair use', the reasonable use of a portion of a copyrighted item, must be defended.

HERE is a link (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2183017,00.asp) to an article about this campaign, and HERE is a link (http://www.defendfairuse.org/index.html)to this group's web site.

Next time RedsZone gets a threatening letter from Baseball America, we should sick these boys on 'em! There is a form on the second website linked above to report copyright 'abuse'. ...LOL.

Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo would not defend what posters were doing here. It's hard to argue 'fair use' when certain posters were copy/pasting entire articles from paid sites.

AmarilloRed
01-08-2008, 01:22 AM
I am a Member of Baseball Prospectus. Is there any problem with me Copy-Pasting material since I pay for the privilege. I realize if I were to distribute that to members who don't pay for the material, it might be an issue.

Doc. Scott
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't do that either. It's the same thing that they're asking you not to do with BA content.

BLEEDS
03-12-2010, 03:13 AM
I am a Member of Baseball Prospectus. Is there any problem with me Copy-Pasting material since I pay for the privilege. I realize if I were to distribute that to members who don't pay for the material, it might be an issue.

HELLLOOOOO MCFLYYYY!!!!

Yes, this means you cannot, since folks on this site who are not members can view it if you post it.

Pretty much the entire point being made with this thread.

Actually, free or not free, internet "authors" don't want their stuff cut-and-pasted to other sites. They want people coming to their site to get exposed to ads, etc...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

LoganBuck
03-12-2010, 07:01 AM
HELLLOOOOO MCFLYYYY!!!!

Yes, this means you cannot, since folks on this site who are not members can view it if you post it.

Pretty much the entire point being made with this thread.

Actually, free or not free, internet "authors" don't want their stuff cut-and-pasted to other sites. They want people coming to their site to get exposed to ads, etc...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
You replied to a post made over 2 years ago. Hello Mcfly indeed.

BLEEDS
03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
You replied to a post made over 2 years ago. Hello Mcfly indeed.

Aware of that, indeed. Just an opportunity to razz/contact Amarillo, since he and I talked a lot. But thanks for your interest, indeed.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

cinreds21
12-14-2011, 05:07 AM
There's an article currently on their front page, "Reds Have Surpluses At Several Positions." Might be worth a read.