PDA

View Full Version : Bailey vs Wagner?

Red Rover
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Homer Bailey vs Ryan Wagner

Just curious as to what everyone thinks of these first round picks today. I know there is always going to be a debate about taking a HS arm vs a college arm, but when you really get down to it it's a crap shoot. Who do you think gets to or back to the bigs first, maybe neither one.

KronoRed
05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Wagner apparently needs a new start somewhere else, and even if he reaches full potential he's still just a MR, Bailey has the best hope for big time success.

dougdirt
05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Trying to compare a college reliever and a high school starter is pretty much impossible to do.

cincyinco
05-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Homer Bailey has a much higher ceiling if thats what you are asking about. As to who will be in the majors(or back in the case of wagner) first, odds are Wags, cause he's sitting at AAA. Rosters expand, players get traded... Homer is still quite a ways off.

gonelong
06-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Homer Bailey vs Ryan Wagner

Just curious as to what everyone thinks of these first round picks today. I know there is always going to be a debate about taking a HS arm vs a college arm, but when you really get down to it it's a crap shoot. Who do you think gets to or back to the bigs first, maybe neither one.

Well, I wouldn't advocate taking a college reliever any more than I would a HS starting pitcher with the first pick. Neither was all that good an idea IMO.

Still, if you want to compare them Wagner has given the Reds 119 innings of work at a 4.69 ERA (league avg of 4.23). Homer has 0 at this point. Wagner is likely only a good 2 month stretch away from being back in the bigs. Homer is likely 3 years away yet.

Homer still has the greater upside. So we wait.

GL

tbball10
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
atleast wagner made it to the bigs, which is more than many of our other 1st round picks can say.