PDA

View Full Version : Reds Avoid the Zapper Again

Edskin
06-01-2006, 07:17 AM
From my blog...............

MLB Zapper (May)

June has arrived, and that means the Zapper will be up and running for the annual June swoon that engulfs so many Major League Baseball teams. However, the Zapper was not idle in May, as these unlucky squads need not worry about crapping out in June, as they managed to run smack dab into the glow in May.

Baltimore Orioles (25-28)

The O’s are arguably the best team to be zapped thus far. However, playing behind the Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays in the AL East pretty much makes this season a lost cause any way you slice it. Recently, Kevin Millar chastised his teammates for worrying more about their fancy suits and the rims on their cars than winning baseball games. Well, Millar’s teammates should feel free to book a fitting at Armani because they’ve been officially zapped.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (21-32)

You know it’s bad when your only organizational goal is to NOT finish last in your division. The D’ Rays have yet to accomplish that miraculous feat in their franchise history, which becomes a more ridiculous and embarrassing fact with each new season. After a decent April, it looked as though Tampa Bay may have finally seen the light. Alas, it was just the tantalizing glow of the zapper.

Seattle Mariners (23-32)

The Mariners really only have two problems: They don’t get on base (26th in MLB) and they don’t hit home runs (28th in MLB). Oh yeah, they’ve also allowed more runs than all but four other AL teams.

Chicago Cubs (20-32)

It seems like just yesterday the Cubs were on the verge of the World Series. Manager Dusty Baker was the toast of the town, and the Cubs had their long-suffering fans believing the all the curses had been lifted. Then came the collapse in Game six of the NLCS against the Marlins, followed by nagging injuries to their best players, followed by the demise of Sammy Sosa, followed by a steady slip from the top of the NL. Now, not only do they sit near the bottom of the standings, but the roster no longer seems young an invigorated. Who let the goat in?

Only four teams join the five already zapped in April, but June promises to be a busy month, when the cream usually rises, and the zapper works overtime.

Teams Zapped in April

Kansas City Royals
Washington Nationals
Florida Marlins
Pittsburgh Pirates
San Diego Padres (no, their May turnaround does not get them un-zapped)

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

RedFanAlways1966
06-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Good stuff, Ed. I have to ask one question about The Zapper... did he prematurely zap the Astros last year at the end of May? ;)

Edskin
06-01-2006, 09:21 AM
The Zapper is a new edition for 2006, so no, there was no premature zapping last year.

I contend that once a team gets on the zapped list, they have NO chance to make the playoffs, even if they play well for awhile. I am a bit nervous the Padres may prove me wrong this year, but I'm sticking to my theory.

BTW, I will be STUNNED if the Reds don't get zapped in June :(

Jr's Boy
06-01-2006, 02:52 PM
I thought for a minute it said Reds avoid Gapper.lol