PDA

View Full Version : Name your top 10 for the draft (who you want)

NewEraReds
06-01-2006, 12:36 PM
you can exclude a player like miller if you feel there is 0 shot at him :)

in no order

Evan Longoria - 3B - Long Beach State
Max Scherzer - SP - Missouri
Joba Chamberlain - SP - Nebraska
Clayton Kershaw - SP - High School
Tim Lincecum - SP - Washington
Brad Lincoln - SP - Houston
Brandon Morrow - SP - California
Daniel Bard - SP - North Carolina
Bill Rowell - 3B - High School
Drew Stubbs - CF - Texas

I want a POWER arm. i want to get a sp with stuff from this draft. especially a college arm, and there should be one there when we draft.

dougdirt
06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I dont think Longoria or Miller will be available for the Reds. I think they will be going 1-2. After that, I think strange things could happen. I think the Reds will be leaning with Bill Rowell unless someone who wasnt going to be available falls to them.

NC Reds
06-01-2006, 12:57 PM
First choice - Marrow
Second choice - Scherzer

I figure one of them will slip to #8.

I would take a chance on Kershaw as well if he fell. However, I want the Reds to draft college arms in at least three of the first five rounds.

NewEraReds
06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
I dont think Longoria or Miller will be available for the Reds. I think they will be going 1-2. After that, I think strange things could happen. I think the Reds will be leaning with Bill Rowell unless someone who wasnt going to be available falls to them.
is your top 10 invisable :)

NewEraReds
06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
First choice - Marrow
Second choice - Scherzer

I figure one of them will slip to #8.

I would take a chance on Kershaw as well if he fell. owever, I want the Reds to draft college arms in at least three of the first five rounds.
after watching vid on scherzer, i dont know. it may have been an off day or something, but he was topping out at 89

cincyinco
06-01-2006, 04:17 PM
after watching vid on scherzer, i dont know. it may have been an off day or something, but he was topping out at 89

his velocity is down this year.

I want one of these guys, and I think one of them will be there:

Lincecum
Marrow
Lincoln
Beato
Bard

NewEraReds
06-01-2006, 04:21 PM
his velocity is down this year.

I want one of these guys, and I think one of them will be there:

Lincecum
Marrow
Lincoln
Beato
Bard
do you remember what was said negatively about verlander leading up to the draft. it seems like it was the same types of things said about marrow and bard

dougdirt
06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
is your top 10 invisable :)

yes, yes it is. I dont really know who I want for sure. This draft is, well not good.

cincyinco
06-01-2006, 04:31 PM
do you remember what was said negatively about verlander leading up to the draft. it seems like it was the same types of things said about marrow and bard

Defenitely see the parallels with each. I think it'd be a good risk. And its just another gut feeling, but w/marrow I think the command issues are overstated. Bard has some, but I still think he can get things straightened out. Much more confident about our abilities than ever now that Krivs is at the helm. More changes to come.

NewEraReds
06-01-2006, 04:32 PM
then why did you post. i think the title of the post is pretty clear ;)

NewEraReds
06-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Defenitely see the parallels with each. I think it'd be a good risk. And its just another gut feeling, but w/marrow I think the command issues are overstated. Bard has some, but I still think he can get things straightened out. Much more confident about our abilities than ever now that Krivs is at the helm. More changes to come.
all i know is we dont have guys walking around our organization who throw mid to high 90s :) thats why id be very dissapointed if we didnt take lincecum, bard, or marrow. i think at least 1 and maybe more of those 3 will be there.

cincyinco
06-01-2006, 04:35 PM
all i know is we dont have guys walking around our organization who throw mid to high 90s :) thats why id be very dissapointed if we didnt take lincecum, bard, or marrow. i think at least 1 and maybe more of those 3 will be there.

I agree completely. I would be super happy with Lincecum or Marrow. Both of their arms are just electric. Bard I would be happy with, but not as happy.. heh.

Doc. Scott
06-01-2006, 04:37 PM
The MLB Radio Around the Minors mock draft had the Reds taking high-school SS (likely a 3B) Bill Rowell. Just because he was invited into Cincinnati for a tryout.

I, of course, want to see a college pitcher. Morrow is fine with me. Lincecum is scary, but he's likely a reliever. I want a starting pitcher.

cincyinco
06-01-2006, 04:43 PM
The MLB Radio Around the Minors mock draft had the Reds taking high-school SS (likely a 3B) Bill Rowell. Just because he was invited into Cincinnati for a tryout.

I, of course, want to see a college pitcher. Morrow is fine with me. Lincecum is scary, but he's likely a reliever. I want a starting pitcher.

Why is Lincecum a reliever? Becuase he's 6 foot? I think the short right handed pitcher can't be a starter is a myth. This guy reminds me of Oswalt. His stuff is unbelievable and he's got great deception. He's never had an injury that I am aware of, and he's apparently never complained of soerness or any pain after starts.

dougdirt
06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
then why did you post. i think the title of the post is pretty clear ;)
Just that I thought Longoria and Miller were the only two players who were going to be gone for sure when the Reds drafted. With everyone else, I think there are so many questions about who is interested in who and even who has this or that problem, the draft is wide open after those two are off the board.

Doc. Scott
06-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Why is Lincecum a reliever? Becuase he's 6 foot? I think the short right handed pitcher can't be a starter is a myth. This guy reminds me of Oswalt. His stuff is unbelievable and he's got great deception. He's never had an injury that I am aware of, and he's apparently never complained of soerness or any pain after starts.

No, I don't have that kind of bias against height. But I did watch his rather violent pitching motion. Plus, he's been worked extraordinarily hard in college. Those two things are what scare me away from spending a top-ten draft pick on the guy. I don't care if he's never complained- would you if you were trying to do everything you could to catch pro eyeballs pitching in the Rain Belt?

He's still a better choice than a high-school position player in my book, though.

cincyinco
06-01-2006, 04:55 PM
No, I don't have that kind of bias. But I did watch his rather violent pitching motion. Plus, he's been worked extraordinarily hard in college. Those two things are what scare me away from spending a top-ten draft pick on the guy.

He's still a better choice than a high-school position player in my book, though.

Yeah, he's unorthodox, no question. But thats why I like him. haha.. shades of Dontrelle Willis - in regards to being unorthodox.

You are right though, he has had a heavy workload. In any case, if we drafted him, I would hope he would just sit for the rest of the season, and get his first taste of pitching in '07.

Doc. Scott
06-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah, he's unorthodox, no question. But thats why I like him. haha.. shades of Dontrelle Willis - in regards to being unorthodox.

You are right though, he has had a heavy workload. In any case, if we drafted him, I would hope he would just sit for the rest of the season, and get his first taste of pitching in '07.

Willis worries me too, for the record. There aren't too many players you can draft knowing they're genetic freaks. And none that I can see this year.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm excluding the players that will not be available when the Reds pick at #8 overall.

Brad Lincoln
Tim Lincecum
Daniel Bard
Brandon Morrow
Bill Rowell
Greg Reynolds

Il will be happy with any of these guys. I will be throwing things and breaking windows if the Reds draft Kershaw.

Aronchis
06-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I wonder if the Reds are even interested in Kershaw? I can't see them being overly interested in Bard or Renyolds either, I guess they hope Lincoln falls to them which he probably will if Tampa and Pittsburgh take somebody else.

Superdude
06-01-2006, 09:18 PM
1) Morrow
2) Kershaw
3) Bard
4) Jeffress
5) Stubbs

edabbs44
06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
1) Lincecum
2) Lincoln
3) Morrow
4) Drabek
5) Scherzer

The curve is Drabek but here's the catch...if he blows out his arm, he still has a future as a position player. BA says he is comparable to Rowell as a hitter and could be the best position player in the draft. Wouldn't that be the best way to laugh at the Curse of Ty Howington?

Nugget
06-02-2006, 12:28 AM
The rumours out of Seattle are that contrary to the national press they are still looking at Linecum. It probably means the REDS are looking at other arms. But judging from Krivs responses the REDS will take the best possible player at #8 even though he may not be a pitcher.

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 10:54 AM
You do NOT want drabek. you have to look past his abilities.

edabbs44
06-02-2006, 11:06 AM
You do NOT want drabek. you have to look past his abilities.
We don't even know what these off the field issues are. Milledge had the same rumors and he is in the majors and a top prospect in the league. As long as he isn't doing hard core drugs, I'm in.

I still want a college pitcher but he could be a steal.

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 11:12 AM
We don't even know what these off the field issues are. Milledge had the same rumors and he is in the majors and a top prospect in the league. As long as he isn't doing hard core drugs, I'm in.

I still want a college pitcher but he could be a steal.
when reporters say they know a kid has issues but cant and wont say what they are, thats a BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG flag in my book.

Benihana
06-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Calling out princeton and M2, the so-called "scouts" of the board. Who is your top 10? Who do you want the Reds to draft?

edabbs44
06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
when reporters say they know a kid has issues but cant and wont say what they are, thats a BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG flag in my book.
BA will be shedding some light on the topic coming soon...so my top 5 might change. We shall see.

edabbs44
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
John Manuel is having a 2 pm chat on BA today regarding the NCAA tourney and next week's draft...I asked 2 questions already:

1) Who will be the Reds selection if he had to say it now.
2) More info on the Drabek situation.

We should all flood him with questions on players we think the Reds might select...

flyer85
06-02-2006, 01:31 PM
On Stubbs

Among college hitters, after first basemen there is almost no difference between the other infield positions, including catcher. Collegiate outfielders trail all other positions by a significant margin, probably because of an overemphasis on “tools” guys with great athleticism but underdeveloped bats.

dougdirt
06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Ok, here are a few of the guys I wouldnt mind seeing the Reds take. These are not in order.
Luke Hochevar
Bill Rowell
Clayton Kershaw
Brad Lincoln
Tim Lincecum

of course Miller and Longoria would work as well, but there is about no way either slip to us.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
1. Lincecum
2. Morrow
3. Scherzer
4. Lincoln
5. Bard
6. Chamberlain
7. Kershaw
8. Rowell
9. Stubbs

edabbs44
06-02-2006, 03:55 PM
OK...John Manuel said on his chat that the Drabek story will be out later today and it is a great article. He said that it isn't Jeff Allison scary (aka, heroin addict). Feeling better about Drabek...

LoganBuck
06-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Allison was an oxycontin addict wasn't he?

Superdude
06-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Drabek's stuff is better than I thought. He was sitting at 94MPH in his draft video with a nasty curve.

NewEraReds
06-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Drabek's stuff is better than I thought. He was sitting at 94MPH in his draft video with a nasty curve.
ive heard he has the best stuff, college or hs, in the draft.

personally, i like

hochevar
lincecum
morrow
kershaw
bard

5 guys with great arms

cincyinco
06-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Allison was an oxycontin addict wasn't he?

Yes, but oxycontin is 1 molecule away in structure from Heroin.

5 mg of Oxycontin is the equivalent of 1 percocet.

So an 80mg oxycotin pill is like taking 16 percocets at once.. just to give you an idea of the strength of this pain killer.

So, you can see perhaps, why Allison has the problems he has.

savafan
06-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm liking College of Charleston catcher Alex Garabedian. Where do you draft experts think he will fall in the draft? He was picked by the Yankees in the 7th round 2 years ago.

# Projected as one of the SoCon's Top Newcomers and Top MLB Prospects by Baseball America
# Pronounced Gara-bee-dee-an
# Transferred from University of Miami (Fla.)
# Played for Coach Joe Weber at Christopher Columbus High School
# High School Honors:
# Selected in the seventh round of the by the New York Yankees in 2004
# First team All-American catcher by Collegiate Baseball and Street & Smith’s magazines
# Baseball America magazine ranked Garabedian as the second-best catching prospect and the 33rd-best overall prospect nationally
# 2003: AFLAC All-American
# Top catcher in Florida by TeamOne Baeball
# Second team all-state
# First team all-Dade County
# 2002: 2nd team all-Dade County
# 2001: 3rd team all-Dade County
# 2005 at Miami: Hit .255 with three homers and 29 RBI
# Played in 49 games