PDA

View Full Version : More pitchers for WK to check out?

Tornon
06-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Per ESPN:

Florida Marlins: designated pitchers Todd Wellemeyer and Franklyn German for assignment.

Good idea to try taking a flier on either of them? Throw enough crap against the wall, some of it has to stick, right?

reds44
06-02-2006, 05:48 PM
German I wouldn't mind, Wellemeyer no stay away.

captainmorgan07
06-02-2006, 05:58 PM
german i'd take a look todd wellemeyer not a chance

bthomasiscool
06-02-2006, 06:12 PM
I would definately check out German, he's still pretty young at 26. If i'm thinking of the right person this guy threw pretty hard. Checking out his stats he did pretty well last year. Posted an ERA of 3.66. Does have some control issues walking 14 while striking out 6 in 12 innings this season. Any better than White? Perhaps...

savafan
06-02-2006, 06:12 PM
I was thinking German might be worth a look, but then I saw his career numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/germafr01.shtml

He's worse than Rick White

BEETTLEBUG
06-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Can't be worse than White.

KronoRed
06-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Or Yan ;)

savafan
06-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Can't be worse than White.

A career WHIP of 1.776 isn't good.

jesusfan
06-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Add German to yan, and Coffee and we'd have a good start to an offensive line...

bthomasiscool
06-02-2006, 07:07 PM
A career WHIP of 1.776 isn't good.

While a career Whip of 1.7 is not good by any means, I would much rather have him than Rick White. While they both arent great I see a lot more potential in German (26) than White (37).

savafan
06-02-2006, 07:10 PM
While a career Whip of 1.7 is not good by any means, I would much rather have him than Rick White. While they both arent great I see a lot more potential in German (26) than White (37).

I would much rather have effective relief pitchers than either of them.

edabbs44
06-03-2006, 12:05 AM
German, easily. Throws hard and is on the right side of 30. Who knows what could happen. It is definitely worth a shot, especially if won't cost much.

bthomasiscool
06-03-2006, 12:33 AM
I would much rather have effective relief pitchers than either of them.

Obviously, wouldnt we all?

Spitball
06-03-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't get why everyone likes German. I believe he typically goes 3-0 and then starts working. That is not the kind of guy that the Reds need in their ballpark. Wellemeyer, I believe, is the better of the two, but I hope the Reds take fliers on both and wait for better merchandise.

toledodan
06-03-2006, 09:50 AM
german and yan both pitched for a awful tiger team a couple of seasons ago. we already have yan please lets not add german to that list as well.

Krusty
06-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Whether Krivsky obtains any of these two is one thing. But when Belisle comes off the DL, I could see White get designated for assignment.

It all comes down to either Germano or White as the long relief.

boognish
06-03-2006, 05:48 PM
I believe Wellemeyer is the better of the two. He throws his fastball in the mid 90s but has never harnessed his control (hence the awful WHIP numbers for his career, and the 74 BB in 106.2 career IP) It got to the point that the Cubs tried him out as a starter at AAA Iowa last season (12 starts).

The positive: he misses bats, which is something Reds fans have not seen much of out of their 'penners in recent years (109 career K in those same IP).

The negative: he will walk so many hitters we will be tearing our collective hair out as Reds fans.

I still think he would be worth a look...it's not like the current cast of characters are going to be around beyond this year, though at this point (turns 28 in August) what you see is most likely what you get.

boognish
06-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't get why everyone likes German. I believe he typically goes 3-0 and then starts working. That is not the kind of guy that the Reds need in their ballpark. Wellemeyer, I believe, is the better of the two, but I hope the Reds take fliers on both and wait for better merchandise.

Well spoken. Wellemeyer is a couple years older, but at least his control problems come with some Ks. German had a good season last year ERA-wise, but allows just as many baserunners as the guys we currently have, and as many as Wellemeyer for that matter. Someone else posted his career WHIP is over 1.7. Yikes!

14-6 K/BB ratio in a small sample this season with Florida isn't exactly encouraging, either. The question becomes, are we confident either is better than White (who is done) or Germano (who has options and IMO little upside). Florida is likely looking at long-term, and determined both these guys are unpredictable enough that they lose nothing going with younger guys with more upside...Joe Borowski notwithstanding.

Outshined_One
06-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I believe Wellemeyer is the better of the two. He throws his fastball in the mid 90s but has never harnessed his control (hence the awful WHIP numbers for his career, and the 74 BB in 106.2 career IP) It got to the point that the Cubs tried him out as a starter at AAA Iowa last season (12 starts).

He actually was exclusively a starter down in the Cubs' farm system until they called him up in 2003. His K numbers were always good, but he gave up a few too many walks for my liking. His stuff is tremendous and he has come through in pressure situations before, but his control and command issues leave something to be desired.

boognish
06-03-2006, 06:15 PM
He actually was exclusively a starter down in the Cubs' farm system until they called him up in 2003. His K numbers were always good, but he gave up a few too many walks for my liking. His stuff is tremendous and he has come through in pressure situations before, but his control and command issues leave something to be desired.

Good post; thanks for the correction/info. :)

Keystone12
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Between Coffey, White, & Weathers, I think our bullpen has enough nouns & verbs before we go and add an adjective!

savafan
06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
The Rockies DFA'd Sun Woo Kim. Don't know much about him, is he a better option than what the Reds already have?

Spitball
06-05-2006, 02:15 PM
The Rockies DFA'd Sun Woo Kim. Don't know much about him, is he a better option than what the Reds already have?

Oh, man! I have never been too high on this guy, going back to his days in the Boston system. Now, I'd only take a chance on him for a t-ball franchise. He has been that bad. And saying bad is being kind.