PDA

View Full Version : Drabek's issues

edabbs44
06-02-2006, 06:59 PM
BA came out with their premium content material on Drabek's issues. It seems as if he has a public alcohol arrest (later dropped) and a one car accident (I guess hinting at an alcohol related crash). Also bat throwing and dugout wall padding punching. I don't think it sounds that bad. He's 18 and in HS. He sounds like he could be a steal for whoever selects him.

Sorry I can't summarize more but I have to run. You can see the whole article here.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/features/261596.html

Update...steroid allegations. Just finished reading. Uh oh. Rescind the "could be a steal" comment.

Shaknb8k
06-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Boy sounds like hes got his head on straight....Looks like hes enjoying the majors while in high school. Does this guy go by the alias Josh Hamilton?

Caveat Emperor
06-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Steroids are the new baseball bogeyman. Akin to whispering "Marxist" during the Red Scare of the McCarthy era. The mere suggestion gets tongues wagging without the need for hard factual data.

I think Drabek's character issues will cause him to fall to the 15-20 range, but that if a team can get his head screwed on straight they'll fall into a phenomenol talent -- but, as with all high school players, you have to wonder if a HS pitcher needs any more risk factors than the ones inherent with their development.

I'd pass -- but I can see a lot of teams taking the chance.

cincinnati chili
06-02-2006, 07:43 PM
If I remember correctly, Ken Griffey Junior wrecked a car in high school. Can anyone confirm? Those sons-of-former-superstars can be a bit on the "entitled" side.

Shaknb8k
06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
A wreck involving alcohol is different than a normal ol' wreck. I know we dont know if alcohol was definatly involved but i dont see it making the article if it wasnt. But it all goes back to what Caveat said. HS pitchers dont need any help in the risk column

dougdirt
06-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I would take Drabek without question if I had a pick after #19 in the first round.

Shaknb8k
06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I dont know how the Yankees draft (college, HS, Best avail.) but could any of you all see him going #21. The Yanks have the money to gamble on a player like this and they could also just flat out tell him that he will play by our rules and if he does that then he could be pitching in Yankee Stadium some day but if he doesnt then we will not hesitate in taking actions. That might be what he needs to happen too.

dougdirt
06-02-2006, 09:34 PM
the last two years the Yankees have taken HS guys in the first round (Phillip Hughes, CJ Henry), so they wont shy away from HS players.

edabbs44
06-02-2006, 10:48 PM
A wreck involving alcohol is different than a normal ol' wreck. I know we dont know if alcohol was definatly involved but i dont see it making the article if it wasnt. But it all goes back to what Caveat said. HS pitchers dont need any help in the risk column
OK...back to the story. Supposedly he wrecked his Escalade on the way to his sister's cheerleading competition from football practice. He says he didn't drink any water and kind of passed out. Kind of weird. He says he was lucky to make it out alive.

But there is some good in the article. He says he quit drinking 2 years ago and Josh Barfield's brother backs it up by saying he used to party all of the time. Now he just hangs out with his dad. One coach says that his demeanor on the field is just like Josh Beckett had in HS and he doesn't see Beckett doing that now.

If Drabek was just a pitcher, I would be very scared if the Reds drafted him. Not only b/c of the issues, but because the Reds cannot draft and produce pitching stars. But this is different, since he is an all world hitter as well. If he hurts his arm he might be able to become a legitimate IFer.

I cannot wait for the draft.

NewEraReds
06-03-2006, 12:08 AM
OK...back to the story. Supposedly he wrecked his Escalade on the way to his sister's cheerleading competition from football practice. He says he didn't drink any water and kind of passed out. Kind of weird. He says he was lucky to make it out alive.

But there is some good in the article. He says he quit drinking 2 years ago and Josh Barfield's brother backs it up by saying he used to party all of the time. Now he just hangs out with his dad. One coach says that his demeanor on the field is just like Josh Beckett had in HS and he doesn't see Beckett doing that now.

If Drabek was just a pitcher, I would be very scared if the Reds drafted him. Not only b/c of the issues, but because the Reds cannot draft and produce pitching stars. But this is different, since he is an all world hitter as well. If he hurts his arm he might be able to become a legitimate IFer.

I cannot wait for the draft.having had my share of fun times in hs, i feel a bit hypocritical saying this, but im saying this thinking about the reds and not him personally. id still stay away. if it were a choice of 4 guys, say

drabek
kershaw
lincecum
morrow

id take the other 3 before drabek. i think thats gonna be his problem. he might be better than all the others, but throw in the problems, even if in the past, and teams will say, why take the gamble if i dont have to

M2
06-03-2006, 01:35 PM
The D-Rays should draft Drabek so he can be part of the Bad Attitude team they're puttin together.

Heck, Tampa ought to call up Billy Beane and beg for his Milo list.