PDA

View Full Version : Where would the Reds be...

EKURed
06-03-2006, 11:58 PM
without Brandon Phillips? Plus I really like his quote from today's Enquirer.

Phillips likes the leadoff spot.

"It's cool," he said. "I've hit first, second or third my whole career. It's not what I love, it's what the manager loves."

captainmorgan07
06-04-2006, 12:19 AM
that's a guy i want on my team anyday

dougdirt
06-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Where would the Reds be without Brandon Phillips?
In trouble both offensively and defensively.

billy117
06-04-2006, 01:46 AM
If ever the term "diamond in the rough" applied to a baseball player.....so far anyway.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Brandon Phillips was supposed to have this terrible attitude and selfishness, but so I've seen nothing but smiles, laughs, and a team player who doesn't care where he plays or where he hits. Brandon has a pleasant surprise so far, and I think he has a chance to continue being an above average player after Chambliss works with him on his plate discipline.

GAC
06-04-2006, 06:53 AM
His "attiude" came from the way he was jerked around in Cleveland, and their lack of patience and commitment to this young player. The fact that they used up all their options on him, and were about to lose him, is evident of how much these jerked him around.

That would make most young ballplayers irked.

redsfan30
06-04-2006, 10:54 AM
His "attiude" came from the way he was jerked around in Cleveland, and their lack of patience and commitment to this young player. The fact that they used up all their options on him, and were about to lose him, is evident of how much these jerked him around.

That would make most young ballplayers irked.
I agree. Stability can do wonders for players...especially young ones.

DropDocK
06-04-2006, 10:58 AM
The second base job is his, he doesn't have to play in a hole otherwise known as Cleveland and is an integral part of a winning team. What's not to like?

reds1869
06-04-2006, 11:00 AM
BP was a great pickup. I loved him when I lived in Cleveland; many up there talked about his (phantom) attitude problem; I never really saw it. He has been a pleasant find, though I'm not sure I see it as all that surprising. In fairness, though, I've probably seen him play more than most on this board. We need to start thinking about how to lock him up long term at a bargain price; even if he falls off he would be an excellent extra infielder.

Mario-Rijo
06-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I am a huge BP fan at this point I like his style of play and the fact that he wants to be great. However I did notice on Friday when he hit the HR off of the Sampson kid that when he got down the line about 3-4 steps he appeared to look and shout something directly at the pitcher. Not sure what that was all about, but just something to note! Could be some friction remaining from that Oswalt behind the head pitch earlier in the season to Brandon. It could be that's why Brandon wasn't starting today vs. what would have been Oswalt before he got scratched, why else wouldn't he be starting vs. Oswalt the way he was hitting off him!

Matt700wlw
06-04-2006, 03:41 PM
without Brandon Phillips? Plus I really like his quote from today's Enquirer.

Phillips likes the leadoff spot.

"It's cool," he said. "I've hit first, second or third my whole career. It's not what I love, it's what the manager loves."

This guy gets it.

edabbs44
06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Agreed. Phillips has been lights out and has brought a great all-around game to Cincy.

And the fact that he is talking about what the manager wants is refreshing. I think his status got too big, too fast and he couldn't handle it. He is probably just happy to have been given a second chance and is now loving the game. Reminds me a lot of FeLo.

Eric_Davis
06-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Where would the REDS be if they'd let LaRue walk, like they should have?

registerthis
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM

:rolleyes:

SeeinRed
06-05-2006, 04:49 PM

I still maintain that LaRue is one of the most un-appreciated players on this team. Yeah, he is struggling at the plate right now, but he isn't getting as many ABs as he had been the last couple years. He'll turn it around. His defense is under-rated, especially his arm.

As far as Brandon Phillips, its amazing what happens to a player when they get a change in scenery sometimes. Yeah, stability helps, I mean look at Austin Kearns. He is tearing it up, probably because he is finally getting consistent ABs. Even before Brandon Phillips, another big thing was getting rid of WMP. Forget what they got in return, look at the returns from Austin Kearns because he is finally getting a chance. Addition by subtraction, then you throw in Arroyo. Its hard to say Wayne Krivsky has made a huge impact this early, but so far how can you deny it? I mean, even David Ross has done more that what anybody has expected for this team. Its not saying much, but this might be the most complete team this city has seen for a at least 6 or 7 years, if not more. Don't get me wrong, they aren't complete by any means, but as a whole, they seem to get things done. Even if they are just playing over their heads at the moment. Its a different attitude in Cincy, much like what Marvin did for the Bengals. Ok, I might be just a little over excited, but when is the last time you've seen a team pull out of a May-June swoon and only be 3 games out? They were struggling, and I really think things turned around when Narron got thrown out in Chicago.

Ok, now that I got my school girl like giddiness out of me... This team is still surprising me. I thought that they had hit the cold reality about a week ago, but they just didn't give up. Many of us around here were guilty of that. Too bad they can't get the fan support they deserve right now. Maybe thats good though, maybe they have a chip on their shoulder because of it. What ever it is, its working.

dabvu2498
06-05-2006, 04:54 PM
When they signed him, if you'd have told me he was going to have 176 PAs, 5 HR, 32 RBI, hit .298/.337/.447 and played good d when he was in there, I'd have kissed you.

If you'd told me those would be his numbers June 5, I'd have done more than kissed you.

KronoRed
06-05-2006, 06:18 PM
More likely where would they be if they had traded Valentin like they should have?

Nugget
06-05-2006, 07:24 PM
People would be saying Ryan Freel sucks as an everyday player after asking why Narron is starting him at 2B.

spaethc
06-05-2006, 07:28 PM
So far BP's season is reminding me alot of Lopez's emergence last year. Both were top prospects that were a little rushed and when they performed poorly were said to have attitude problems. But both have come here performed well and havent had any attitude issues with either of them. The best thing about BP being here is it allowed us to get rid of Womack.