PDA

View Full Version : College baseball tourney update

Pages : [1] 2

SandyD
06-04-2006, 10:03 PM
College Baseball post season:

The regionals are underway in college baseball. By tomorrow, the super-regional match-ups will emerge. Just a thought: It would be fun if we could get a group of RedsZone reporters to give inform us about the teams competing next week. Each reporter will prepare a general profile of the team they choose including Coaches, Conference, key players, key players who were drafted (especially if they were drafted by the Reds.) And any other items of interest that may emerge from local online news sources. Fun facts, etc. The reporter would follow their team through the CWS should they advance.

Do we have enough people interested in doing this? If you’re interested in taking a regional champion, please reply below.

Gallen5862 said he'd like to cover UNC, who has already advanced to the superregional.

Here's how it stands. I'll update the regional scores (as long as I'm awake).

Athens regional: Georgia and Florida State. Both have one loss.

Atlanta regional: Georgia Tech wins.
Austin regional: Stanford wins.

Charlottesville regional: South Carolina and Evansville. Both teams have one loss.

Chapel Hill regional: North Carolina wins.
Clemson Regional: Clemson wins.
Corvalis Regional: Oregon State wins.
Fayetteville Regional: Oral Roberts wins.
Fullerton Regional: Cal State Fullerton wins.

Houston Regional: Rice and Baylor. Baylor must win twice.

Lexington Regional: College of Charleston wins.

Lincoln Regional: Miami wins.

Malibu Regional: Pepperdine and Missouri. Both teams have one loss.

Norman Regional: Wichita State and Oklahoma: Both teams have one loss.

Oxford Regional: Ole Miss wins
Tuscaloosa Regional: Alabama wins.

Superregional matchups:

Clemson vs Oral Roberts
Houston Regional winner vs Norman Regional winner
Stanford vs Oregon State
Alabama vs North Carolina
Cal State Fullerton vs Malibu Regional winner
Miami vs Ole Miss
Athens regional winner vs Charlottesville Regional winner
Georgia Tech vs College of Charleston

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm hoping Oregon State wins it all. Them or Stanford.

SandyD
06-04-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll face each other at the Super Regional Level.

Blimpie
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Kentucky had everything land their way with both home field location and the strength of their pairings...then promptly blew it during their first round game (scoring but one run versus Ball State). Luckily for UK, Notre Dame had to go 16 innings in their initial loss to College of Charleston. By the time the two teams played (UK vs. ND) on Saturday, Notre Dame's bullpen was melba toast and UK scored some "confidence building" runs while eliminating the Irish from the tournament..

SandyD
06-04-2006, 10:39 PM
UK lost to College of Charleton 7-4. Game just ended, according to CBS Sportsline.com.

Blimpie
06-04-2006, 10:41 PM
UK lost to College of Charleton 7-4. Game just ended, according to CBS Sportsline.com.Ooops...I thought that game was slated for tomorrow. Sounds like there will be no need for me to act as liaison for the Lexington Regional anymore....

Cedric
06-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I always root for the Shockers.

SandyD
06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Too bad, too. Quite a year for your Wildcats.

Blimpie
06-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Too bad, too. Quite a year for your Wildcats.I just hate it that they went out on their home turf...teams like UK play all season just to get a chance to host a regional, only to lay a giant egg when it is all on the line.

Actually, they have been playing poorly for nearly a month now. Ever since they clinched the SEC East, they started backpedaling and losing to teams they should have been dominating. The terrible showing they had in the SEC tournament had me officially worried that they were starting to grip a little too much.

"Worst to First" in any conference is quite an accomplishment. To do that in the SEC is simply bananas. I am optomistic for the future because they have the real deal in skipper John Cohen (granted I have been a fan of his since he was an assistant at Florida).

SandyD
06-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Next year's SEC season will be interesting. You heard Laval resigned at LSU? and the entire coaching staff is gone.

Game tracker has the elimintation game between Fresno State and San Diego in the bottom of the ninth, two outs, two on with SD's #3 hitter up trailing by one run.

Game over now. Not sure what happened, but he made an out.

Wow, Mississippi State just took the lead over Clemson. 7th inning, I think. MSU has to win to stay alive.

Gallen5862
06-04-2006, 11:43 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/features/261522.html
Chapel Hill Regional Capsule

Boshamer Stadium, Chapel Hill, N.C.

By Will Kimmey
May 31, 2006
No. 1 North Carolina (45-13)
21st appearance, at-large, Atlantic Coast

No. 2 Winthrop (44-16)
Fifth appearance, at-large, Big South

No. 3 UNC Wilmington (41-20)
Third appearance, automatic, won Colonial tournament

No. 4 Maine (35-20-1)
15th appearance, automatic, won America East tournament

North Carolina starts the postseason at home for the first time since 1983, and coach Mike Fox holds three aces in juniors Andrew Miller (11-2, 2.07, 102 strikeouts), Robert Woodard and Daniel Bard that helped produce a 3.22 ERA (seventh nationally). The pitching depth runs deeper with relievers Jonathan Hovis (ACC-best 1.72 ERA) and closer Andrew Carignan (13 saves), while freshman Luke Putkonen (6-0, 3.13) stands ready for emergency duty or perhaps even a start in the opener. The Tar Heels aren't all arms, as sophomore shortstop Josh Horton led the ACC with a .408 average, while five other hitters combined for 48 homers. Errors in the field and on the basepaths have undone UNC at times and could prove crucial in a tournament where one run can decide a game.

Winthrop's lineup is as deep and experienced as any in the tournament, featuring six seniors and a junior. The Eagles also boast series wins at Miami and Alabama (early) and a midweek victory at regional host North Carolina (in May). Senior left fielder Jacob Dempsey leads an attack that ranked among the top 10 nationally with a .329 average and .502 slugging percentage with .407-17-78 numbers. The pitching staff features two righthanders who average 10 strikeouts per nine innings in freshman ace Alex Wilson, who leads the nation with 13 wins, and junior righthander Heath Rollins, who generates K's with his curveball but still can prove hittable. Winthrop needs to work through the regional in as few games as possible to pull the upset. Every additional game favors North Carolina's deeper pitching staff.

Forty wins and a regular-season conference title weren't enough to get UNC Wilmington into regionals a year ago, so the Seahawks added another win and a tournament title to the mix this season to leave no doubt about their inclusion. Like Winthrop, UNCW sprinkles depth and experience throughout its lineup. It scored nearly nine runs per game to lead the CAA and ranked among the national leaders in that category along with slugging (.506) and steals (127) in a diverse attack led by senior outfielder John Raynor (.378-11-64 with 41 steals).

How fun is the fact that Maine's seven College World Series trips match the totals of Mississippi State and Wichita State? The Black Bears eliminated third-seeded Southern Mississippi from the Oxford regional a year ago, so don't expect them to hibernate here. Maine third baseman Kevin McAvoy hit .362-7-56 to win America East freshman of the year honors, while Curt Smith (.380-5-49) and Joel Barrett (.372-5-50) and Ryan Quintal (.325-9-60) also helped the team score 432 runs--112 more than any other team in the league.

SandyD
06-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Clemson took the lead back in the top of the 7th. Score 7-5. Mississippi State batting in the bottom of the 7th.

Oregon State leads Hawaii 8-3. OSU batting top 8th. If they hold on to win, they advance.

Cal State Fullerton and Fresno State starts later.

RedlegNation
06-05-2006, 12:16 AM
My Virginia Cavaliers lost today, and they're out. I'm very sad.

But, hey...the Reds are eight games over, and three games back of first!

Topcat
06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Too bad, too. Quite a year for your Wildcats.

I am Louisville Cardinal Fan and I loathe (copyright infringed from Puffy) Anything that is the Kentucky Wildcats;)

SandyD
06-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Clemson vs Oral Roberts (at Clemson)
Houston Regional winner vs Norman Regional winner
Stanford vs Oregon State (at Corvalis, I believe)
Alabama vs North Carolina (at Tuscaloosa)
Cal State Fullerton vs Malibu Regional winner (at Fullerton)
Miami vs Ole Miss (at Oxford)
Athens regional winner vs Charlottesville Regional winner
Georgia Tech vs College of Charleston (at Atlanta)

Where we stand as of this morning.

Houston Regional has up to two games between Rice and Baylor, who used to be a big southern football rivalry. The remaining regionals are down to a single deciding game. We'll know the field by tonight.

Note: I just want to say why I'm doing this. For years, college basketball has lured sports fans in with March Madness. A lot of people only pay attention to the sport during tournament time. College baseball, on the other hand, doesn't even get much attention from all the baseball fans out there. Accessibility is one reason. Aluminum bats another. Double elimination is yet another. It's still really fun to watch these guys. I've been trying to think of a way to make it easy for people to get excited about the college baseball postseason, even if they don't have a horse in this game.

Blimpie
06-05-2006, 08:22 AM
I am Louisville Cardinal Fan and I loathe (copyright infringed from Puffy) Anything that is the Kentucky Wildcats;)The Cardinals have a baseball team? :confused: I thought the only meaningful baseball being played in Louisville involved the Bats...:cool:

Blimpie
06-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Here's the post-mortem for all those UK Wildcat fans who could not be present at the autopsy...

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/14742524.htm

Cats doomed from start

By Mark Maloney
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

Opportunity knocked, then knocked again on Kentucky's door last night.

Try as they might, and buoyed by a Cliff Hagan Stadium crowd of 3,317, the Wildcats could not answer.

Stranding a season-high 15 runners, the Cats fell 7-4 in an NCAA Regional final to the College of Charleston.

"Every time we got runners in scoring position, we just didn't have the at-bats we wanted," UK Coach John Cohen said. "And even when we did get the at-bats we wanted, we hit the ball right at people. That's the nature of the game."

So it will be the second-seeded Cougars (46-15), who went 3-0 in the double-elimination tournament, going on to next weekend's Super Regional. Charleston will take a seven-game winning streak.

"This team has, from day one, played with so much heart, so much desire," Cougars Coach John Pawlowski said. "They are a very tough group of baseball players."

UK, the top seed, beat Ball State earlier yesterday but bowed out at 44-17 -- a school record for victories -- and 2-2 in the tournament.

The Wildcats averaged seven homers a series over five regular-season conference home series. But, even with a fourth game, they hit only two this weekend.

UK left men on base in the first seven innings.

Charleston made quick work of Aaron Tennyson (4-3), scoring six in the top of the first with six of their 14 hits. The capper was Phillip Coker's grand slam.

"There was no question that Aaron Tennyson, after the first two hitters of the game (strikeouts), really couldn't get to the top of his fastball and it really flattened out," Cohen said. "... It's just a shame that the first inning got away from us a little bit. But I was really proud of the way our kids came back and competed."

Zach Dials replaced Tennyson to open the second and gave UK a chance with eight innings of one-run ball.

"I just wanted to do my best to keep Charleston where they were and give our offense a chance to get back in the game," Dials said. "I just wanted to throw strikes and try to keep the ball down, and let our defense work for us."

The offense did respond with 11 hits. Included was a three-run homer by Antone DeJesus that made it a 6-4 game through two innings.

"I was just trying to put the ball in play and create some kind of pressure," DeJesus said. "It was an inside pitch and I just turned on it. The crowd was back into it at that point."

Two more runners got on with two outs.

Michael Bertram hit a gapper, but center fielder Larry Cobb made the catch in full sprint before crashing into the wall in left-center.

That was a sign of things to come. The Cats left the bases loaded in the third and seventh innings, and stranded two each in the first, second and fourth innings.

Besides the homer by DeJesus, the only UK run came on Bertram's bases-loaded fielder's choice in the first.

The Cougars got 62/3 shutout innings of relief. Quinn Monsma (7-2) threw 41/3, and Josh McLaughlin closed for his 15th save.

"I take some serious pride from this year," Bertram said. "This group of guys we have on this team has completely changed the face of baseball in this state, at this university and this town. It's been an unbelievable experience.

"I couldn't be any more proud to be a part of this team. Ten years down the road, I'm going to be able to look back and say, 'I was on that team, and we were the reason why Kentucky baseball got put back on the map, and we turned the corner for this university.'"

GoReds
06-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Note: I just want to say why I'm doing this. For years, college basketball has lured sports fans in with March Madness. A lot of people only pay attention to the sport during tournament time. College baseball, on the other hand, doesn't even get much attention from all the baseball fans out there. Accessibility is one reason. Aluminum bats another. Double elimination is yet another. It's still really fun to watch these guys. I've been trying to think of a way to make it easy for people to get excited about the college baseball postseason, even if they don't have a horse in this game.

Sandy - here's hoping you keep us updated. Usually don't follow the college ranks until the CWS, but I think that will change this year. Besides, what else do I have to follow when the Reds aren't playing - NASCAR?!?

ochre
06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
moved to 'down on the farm' per Sandy's request.

SandyD
06-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks, ochre.

GoReds, I plan on keeping this thread updated as much as possible. I will be out of town the weekend of father's day, which will be the first weekend of the CWS, so I hope others will pick up the slack.

I'm also hoping people will share their thoughts, feelings, and observations about the teams and players involved. Let's have some fun with this.

Rice, South Carolina, and Missouri advance. Two games in progress to determine the final two spots in the super regional field.

SandyD
06-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Clemson vs Oral Roberts (at Clemson)
Rice vs Oklahoma (at Houston)
Stanford vs Oregon State (at Corvalis, I believe)
Alabama vs North Carolina (at Tuscaloosa)
Cal State Fullerton vs Missouri (at Fullerton)
Miami vs Ole Miss (at Oxford)
Georgia vs South Carolina
Georgia Tech vs College of Charleston (at Atlanta)

Okla leads Wichita State 7-4 in the 8th, but there's still plenty of time.

Shockers scored two in the bottom of the ninth, but it was not enough. Sooners advance.

dabvu2498
06-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Interesting matchups, including 2 conference rivalries.

dabvu2498
06-06-2006, 11:46 AM
The following four super regionals will be played Friday, June 9, Saturday, June 10, and Sunday, June 11 (if necessary). The four winners will play their first MCWS games Friday, June 16.

All times are Eastern
Oral Roberts (41-14) at No. 1 Clemson (50-14)
3 p.m. (ESPN), 4 p.m. (ESPNU), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)

Col. of Charleston (46-15) at No. 8 Georgia Tech (48-16)
Noon (ESPN), 1 p.m. (ESPNU), 1 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU)

Missouri (35-26) at No. 5 Cal St. Fullerton (46-13)
10 p.m. (ESPN2), 10 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 10 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)

North Carolina (48-13) at No. 4 Alabama (44-19)
7 p.m. (ESPN), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 4 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU)

The following four best-of-three super regionals will be played Saturday, June 10, Sunday, June 11, and Monday, June 12 (if necessary). The four winners will play their first MCWS games Saturday, June 17.

All times are Eastern
Oklahoma (44-20) at No. 2 Rice (53-10)
7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 1 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU), 1 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU)

South Carolina (40-23) at No. 7 Georgia (45-20)
11 a.m. (ESPN2), 4 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU), 1 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU)

Miami (Fla.) (39-21) at Mississippi (43-20)
7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)

Stanford (33-25) at Oregon St. (42-14)
10 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 10 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)

SandyD
06-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure I can do this for all 16 teams, so if someone wants to take one and run with it, please do so. Just PM me so I don't do one you're working on. Also, I'm not all that familiar with some of these teams/players, so if I miss a key player, please let me know. And if you have anything to add, please do so.

Hosting Oral Roberts in SuperRegional (Best of 3, starting Fri)

Profile: Clemson Tigers (50-14)
'05 finish: Lost to Baylor in the Super Regional round (2 games -1)
Coach: Jack Leggett, 13th season

Team stats:

BA .306, Opp BA .240
OBP .382, Opp OBP .319
SLG .487, Opp SLG .336
ERA 3.18, Opp ERA 6.66

Key Players

Stephen Faris, Jr, RHP 9-2, 2.34, Rd 12, Padres
Jason Berken, Jr, RHP, 9-3, 2.72, Rd 6, Orioles
Josh Cribb, Sr, RHP, 9-0, 3.09, Rd 8, Royals

Herman Demmink, 3b, Sr
Brad Chalk, cf, So
Taylor Harbin, 2b, So
Tyler Colvin, of, Jr, Rd 1, Cubs
Andy D'Alessio, 1b, Jr, Rd 10, Dodgers
Travis Storrer, of, Sr
Stan Widman, ss, So
Adrian Casanova, c, Sr
Tanner, Leggett, inf, coach's son
Ben Hall, dh, inf, Sr

Other players drafted on Day 1
Steve Richard, rhp, Rd 8, Mariners
Drew Fiorenza, rhp, Rd 15, Mariners

Against the Field:

Clemson has faced 5 of the other superregional teams:

College of Charleston 2-0
So Carolina 3-1
Georgia 1-1
Miami 3-0
GA Tech 3-3 (including 3 games in ACC tournament)

SandyD
06-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Facing Clemson in SuperRegional (Best of 3, begins Friday)

Profile: Oral Roberts Golden Eagles (41-14)
Won the Fayetteville regional, where they were the third seed.
'05 finish: Lost to Clemson in the Regional finals
Coach: Rob Walton, 3rd Season

Team stats:

BA .327, Opp BA .247
OBP .419, Opp OBP .331
SLG .498, Opp SLG .333
ERA 3.47, Opp ERA 7.39

Key Players

Sean Jarrett, rhp, Sr
Chris Ashman, rhp, Sr
Daniel Greenwalt, rhp, Jr
Nick Jones, rhp, Sr

Andy Bouchie, c, Jr
Brendan Duffy, of, So
Chad Rothford, inf, Jr
Jake Kahaulelio, inf, Jr
Brian Aguailar, c, Sr
Tim Torres, inf, Jr
Carter McQuigg, inf, Jr
Kelly Minissale, of, So
Travis Debondt, of, Sr

Against the Field:

Oral Roberts has not faced any of the other SuperRegional teams.

SandyD
06-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Hosting Oklahoma in the superregional (Best of 3, beginning Sat)

Profile: Rice Owls (53-10)
#2 overall seed
'05 finish: Lost to Tulane in the SuperRegional
2003 National Champions
Coach: Wayne Graham, 15th Season

Team stats:

BA .320, Opp BA .227
OBP .414, Opp OBP .317
SLG .510, Opp SLG .313
ERA 3.02, Opp ERA 7.35

Key Players

Eddie Degerman, rhp, Sr
Craig Crow, rhp, Jr
Bobby Bell, rhp, So
Cole St. Clair, rhp, So

Only 7 players on the Owl roster had more than 150 AB's.
Brian Friday, inf, So
Josh Rodriguez, inf Jr
Greg Buchanan, inf, Sr
Tyler Henley, of, So
Joe Savery, inf/lhp, So
Aaron Luna, inf, Fr
Jordan Dodson, utl/rhp, So

The next three in AB's:

Danny Lehmann, c, So
Chad Lembeck, of, So
Travis Reagan, c/inf, Jr

Against the Field:

Rice has faced 2 of the other SuperRegional teams:
Oklahoma 1-1
Cal State Fullerton 2-1

SandyD
06-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Facing Rice in Houston:

Profile: Oklahoma Sooners (44-20)
Won Norman Regional, where they were top seed
'05 finish: Lost to Ole Miss in Regional Finals
Coach: Sonny Galloway, first season

Team stats:

BA .325, Opp BA .284
OBP .401, Opp OBP .352
SLG .467, Opp SLG .417
ERA 4.89, Opp ERA 6.31

Key Players

Steven Guerra, rhp, Sr
Daniel McCutecheon, rhp, Sr, drafted by Yankees in Rd13
PJ Sandoval, rhp, Sr

Ryan Rohlinger, 3b, Sr, drafted by Giants 6th round
Chuckie Caufield, of, Sr
Russel Raley, inf, Sr
Aaron Reza, inf, So
Freddy Rodriguez, inf, Sr
Kevin Smith, inf, Sr
Kody Kaiser, of, So
Jackson Williams, c, So
Joe Dunigan, of, So
Aaron Ivey, of, Jr

Against the Field:
Oklahoma has faced two other clubs who reached the super regional field, including their opponent.

Rice 1-1
Missouri 3-1. The loss came in the Big-12 Tourney

SandyD
06-06-2006, 10:30 PM
I promise, these next two will be my last tonight. (I'm getting tired.) I will go back edit these profiles with draftees from the appropriate schools when I get them.

Profile: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (48-16)
'05 finish: Lost to Tennessee in SuperRegional
Coach: Danny Hall, 13th year

Team stats:

BA .320, Opp BA .275
OBP .419, Opp OBP .352
SLG .500, Opp SLG .388
ERA 4.44, Opp ERA 8.18

Key Players

Blake Wood, RHP, Rd 3, Royals
David Duncan
Lee Hyde, LHP, Rd 4 Braves
Tim Gustafson, RHP, Rd 9 Braves

Wes Hodges, 3b, Rd 2, Indians
Whit Robbins, 1b, Rd 4, Braves
Jeff Kindel, of, Rd 14, Rockies
Danny Payne, So, Of, LHP
Matt Wieters, c, rhp, So
Luke Murton, 1b, Fr
Wally Crancer, of, Jr
Mike Trapani, Sr, Inf
Steven Blackwood, of, Sr
Michael Fisher, ss, So
Andy Hawranick, Sr, from Akron, Ohio

Against the Field:

Georgia Tech has faced 3 teams in the super regional field:

Miami 4-1, including ACC tourney
Georgia, 1-2
Clemson 3-3

SandyD
06-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Facing Georgia Tech in the SuperRegional

Profile: College of Charleston Cougars (46-15)
'05 finish: Lost in the Clemson Regional (3rd team from that regional in the 2006 superregionals)
Coach: John Pawlowski, 7th season

Team stats:

BA .326, Opp BA .235
OBP .393, Opp OBP .326
SLG .451, Opp SLG .318
ERA 2.87, Opp ERA 5.43

Key Players

Nick Chiggs, Jr, rhp
Jeff Beliveau, Fr, lhp
Danny Meszaros, So, rhp
Graham Godfrey, So, rhp

Alex Garabedian, So, c
Larry Cobb, Jr, of
Jess Easterling, Sr, 3b
Joey Friddle, Sr, of
Phillip Coker, Sr, of
Chris Campbell, Jr, 2b
Oliver Marmol, So, ss
Ben Lasater, Jr, inf

Against the Field:

Clemson 0-2

Red Heeler
06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Anybody know if Redzoner "Clemson" is still playing for Clemson U.?

SandyD
06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I thought he was a bit older than that, but I don't know. I was hoping he would be willing to add some insight into the Clemson team and their super regional.

Couple of Reds draftees on this squad. Once I've got all the profiles in, I'm going to see if I can profile the Reds draftees who are still playing all at once. But I'll list the as I come to them.

Cal State Fullerton hosts Missouri (Best of 3, begins Friday)

Profile: Cal State Fullerton Titans (46-15)
#5 National Seed
'05 finish: Lost to Arizona State in a Super Regional
2004 National Champions
Coach: George Horton, 10th Season

Team stats: (does not include games at the regional this past weekend)

BA .310, Opp BA .220
OBP .384, Opp OBP .284
SLG .440, Opp SLG .323
ERA 2.62, Opp 5.84

Key Players

Wes Roemer, rhp, So
Lauren Gagnier, rhp, Jr, Rd10, Tigers
Dustin Miller, rhp, Sr
Ryan Paul, Jr, lhp, Jr, Rd 10, Giants
Vinnie Pestano, rhp, Jr, Rd 20, Indians

Blake Davis, ss, Jr, Rd 4, Orioles
Justin Turner, 2b, Sr, rd 7, Reds
Brett Pill, 1b, Jr, Rd 7, Giants
Brandon Tripp, of, Jr, Rd 12, Orioles
John Curtis, c, Jr, Rd 24, Angels
Danny Dorn, of, Sr, Rd 32 Reds
Evan McArthur, Jr, inf
David Cooper, 1b, lhp, Fr
Jared Clark, of, rhp, So
Carl Hardman, of, rhp, So

Against the Field:

Fullerton has faced 2 of the Super Regional field,

vs Stanford 0-3
vs Rice 1-2

SandyD
06-07-2006, 10:57 PM
Just FYI, I'm using information from the "official sites" for now. So, I don't have ALL the drafted players yet. For example, the Missouri Tiger site hasn't been updated with today's picks. I'll come back and edit later.

Missouri travels to Fullerton to face Titans in super regional beginning Friday.

Profile: Missouri Tigers (35-26)
'05 finish: Lost to Cal State Fullerton in Arizona regional
Coach: Tim Jamieson, 12th Season

Team stats:

BA .287, Opp BA .248
OBP .385, Opp OBP .312
SLG .406, Opp SLG .349
ERA 2.62, Opp 5.84

Key Players
Max Scherzer, rhp, Jr, Rd 1 D'Backs
Nathan Culp, lhp, Jr, Rd 4, Padres
Aaron Crow, rhp, Fr
Rick Zagone, lhp, Fr
Brett Reynolds, rhp, Jr, Rd 17, D'Backs

Brock Bond, inf, So
Evan Frey, of, So
Zane Taylor, of, Sr
Ryan Lollis, of, lhp, Fr
Derek Chambers, 1b, Sr
Jacob Priday, of, c, So
Gary Arndt, inf, Jr
Hunter Mense, of, Jr, Rd 17, Marlins
JC Field, c, Sr
Trevor Helms, inf, Sr
John McKee, 3b, Jr

Against the Field:

Missouri has faced only one of the other super regional teams.

vs Okla 1-3

Gallen5862
06-07-2006, 11:39 PM
http://northcarolina.rivals.com/
http://northcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=550538

Evan Markfield
CarolinaBlue.com Senior Writer

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - It was a day of surprises for a pair of North Carolina pitchers in the Major League Baseball draft.

UNC Athletic Communications

UNC pitcher Daniel Bard was selected No. 28 overall in the first round by the Boston Red Sox.
UNC junior pitcher Andrew Miller, expected by many to be the top pick in the 2006 Major League baseball draft, ended up being the sixth overall pick Tuesday, going to the Detroit Tigers.

Then Daniel Bard, who was thought to be going in the first half of the first round, slipped all the way to the Boston Red Sox at No. 28.

That was just fine with Bard, who is a lifelong Sox fan despite growing up in Charlotte.

"I went a little later than I planned," Bard said at the post-draft press conference. "But that's the team I wanted to drop to. It's a lifelong dream, and it finally came true."

North Carolina coach Mike Fox said he couldn't be happier for his pair of aces, even if it means not having them in the rotation once this season is over.

"You can see what Carolina baseball has been able to do the last three years, and they've been a huge part of that," Fox said. "It's going to be sad to see them go and not run them out there on Friday and Saturday in the future."

Miller, the UNC career leader in strikeouts, is a 6-foot-6, 210-pound left-hander who won ACC Pitcher of the Year honors in 2006.

Since big lefties don't come around every day, plenty of experts expected Kansas City to take Miller with the No. 1 pick. Instead, they opted for right-handed pitcher Luke Hochevar.

Miller, who was a third-round selection of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays out of high school, said he was just fine with not being the top overall pick.

"Being the No. 1 pick is something you'd be able to remember for the rest of your life," he said. "But I want to go to a team that's a good fit for me. It's pretty impressive just to go in the first round. That's a pretty big accomplishment itself."

Bard, who posted career bests in wins, strikeouts and earned run average in 2006, also didn't show any disappointment in falling as far as he did.

In fact, once the free fall began, he had to hope to keep sliding a little lower.

"At the point where it got past 14, 15, we had to scare a couple of teams off," Bard said, "because if I was going to fall, I wanted it to be to a bigger team."

http://northcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=549830

Evan Markfield
CarolinaBlue.com Senior Writer

CHAPEL HILL – It had been three seasons since North Carolina advanced to an NCAA Super Regional.

UNC Athletic Communications

Jay Cox won MVP of the regional with 11 RBIs this weekend.
The No. 1-seeded Tar Heels secured their return to that stage of the postseason in convincing fashion Sunday afternoon, beating No. 2 seed Winthrop 14-2 in the NCAA Chapel Hill Regional at Boshamer Stadium.

"Obviously, we're tickled to death to still be playing," UNC coach Mike Fox said. "It was fun in the dugout knowing that without a total collapse, you're going to win the game."

Carolina (48-13) had a huge fourth inning against Winthrop reliever Ryan Schwartz, tagging him for six runs to make it 8-0.

Eagles' starter Jonathan Settle, who appeared briefly – and unsuccessfully – the previous night against UNC, allowed two runs in 2 2/3 innings of work and got the loss.

The early lead was more than enough for UNC starter Daniel Bard (8-3).

Bard, who might have been making a late push to improve on his status in the upcoming Major League Baseball draft, allowed two runs in a strong 6 2/3 innings.

He struck out eight batters and was still throwing in the mid 90s late in the game when Fox removed him to a standing ovation.

"Stuff-wise, it was all there for me," Bard said. "I felt pretty much in control and had good command of my fastball and slider, which is what I live on."

North Carolina catcher Benji Johnson led off the fourth with a solo home run to left-center field moments after cranking a ball just foul over the left-field wall.

Five batters later, UNC first baseman Chad Flack knocked in two runs with a double. The Tar Heels would add three more on a Jay Cox RBI groundout and a two-run home run by designated hitter Tim Federowicz.

"It makes it easy when our offense is rolling like it was this weekend," Bard said.

The Eagles (46-18) finally got on the board courtesy of a throwing error by UNC second baseman Garrett Gore as he tried to turn an inning-ending double play in the fifth.

Despite starting the game 0 for 3, Carolina left fielder Jay Cox continued on his hot hitting streak, blasting a solo home run in the top of the sixth.

It was Cox's 11th RBI of the Regional and helped earn him Regional MVP honors.

UNC shortstop Josh Horton was 4 for 4 with four RBI, including a two-run homer in the seventh that made the score 12-2.

Six Tar Heels made the All-Tournament team: Cox, Bard, Federowicz, Flack, Horton and Seth Williams.

Winthrop advanced to the rematch with Carolina by defeating UNC-Wilmington 5-3 with a three-run ninth inning in the day's first game.

With their first goal now accomplished, the Tar Heels will next take aim at winning a Super Regional to get a bid to the College World Series.

"It was a great feeling to host at home, but it's an even greater feeling to know you're closer to being one of 16 teams left," Cox said. "I probably won't get much sleep tonight thinking about it." Talk about it in: Blue Heaven

Gallen5862
06-07-2006, 11:47 PM
This is the list so far that are Reds draft picks to look for in the super regionals. I am updating as I am going through the Reds draft list.
7 204 Justin Turner 2b Cal State Fullerton CA is the Reds 7th round pick.
20 594 Eddy Rodriguez c Miami FL is the Reds 20th round pick.
32 954 Danny Dorn of Cal State Fullerton CA is the Reds 32 round pick.

SandyD
06-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks, Gallen. Kind of a nice lead in.

Alabama will host North Carolina in a SuperRegional beginning Friday.

Profile: Alabama Crimson Tide (44-19)
#5 national seed
'05 Finish: lost to Tulane in regional
Coach: Jim Wells, 12th Season

Team stats:

BA .293, Opp BA .239
OBP .383, Opp OBP .317
SLG .426, Opp SLG .367
ERA 3.35, Opp 5.85

Key Players

Wade LeBlanc, lhp, Jr
Tommy Hunter, rhp, Fr
Bernard Robert, rhp, Jr

Emeel Salem, of, Jr
Kody Valverde, c, Sr
Spencer Pennington, inf, Sr
Matt Downs, inf, rhp, Sr
Greg Paiml, inf, Jr
Ryan Rhoden, c, of, Fr
Evan Bush, inf, Sr
Alex Avila, inf, Fr
Brandon Belcher, of, lhp, Jr

Against the Field:
Bama has faced 3 other SuperRegional teams.
vs Georgia 2-1
vs Ole Miss 3-1
vs So Carolina 2-1

Gallen5862
06-07-2006, 11:59 PM
You are welcome Sandy. I am glad the timing worked out great.

SandyD
06-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm going to do the UNC profile, then call it a night.

UNC will face Alabama in at Super Regional beginning Friday.

Profile: North Carolina Tar Heels (48-13)
'05 Finish: lost to Notre Dame in Gainesville Regional
Coach: Mike Fox, 8th Season

Team stats:

BA .323, Opp BA .235
OBP .405, Opp OBP .320
SLG .493, Opp SLG .311
ERA 3.27, Opp 6.86

Key Players

Andrew Miller, lhp, Jr, Rd 1 Tigers
Daniel Bard, rhp, Jr, Rd 1, Red Sox
Robert Woodard, rhp, Jr, Rd 46, Cardinals
Jonathan Hovis, rhp, Sr

Josh Horton, ss, So
Jay Cox, of, Jr, Rd 22, Rockies
Chad Flack, 1b, 3b, So
Tim Federowicz, c, Fr
Mike Cavasinni, of, 2b, Fr
Bengi Johnson, c, So
Reid Fronk, 3b, So
Seth Williams, of, So
Bryan Steed, 2b, Jr
Matt Spencer, 1b, lhp, of, So

Against the Field:

UNC has faced one other Super Regional team:

vs Miami 2-1

dabvu2498
06-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Boyd's World's Super Regional Preview:

http://www.boydsworld.com/breadcrumbs/superregionals2006.html

SandyD
06-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Oregon State is the only team left that reached the college world series last year, and they will host a Super Regional against Pac-10 rival Stanford.

Begins Sat, best of 3

Profile: Oregon State Beavers (42-14)
'05 Finish: College World Series (0-2)
Coach: Pat Casey, 12th Season

Team stats:
BA .303, Opp BA .238
OBP .402, Opp OBP .336
SLG .435, Opp SLG .344
ERA 3.50, Opp 6.03

Key Players

Jonah Nickerson, rhp, Rd 7, Tigers
Dallas Buck, rhp, Rd 3, D'Backs
Mike Stutes, rhp, So
Ken Grunderson, lhp, Rd 5, Braves
Jon Keller, rhp, Rd 48, Mets

Cole Gillespie, of, Jr, Rd 3, Brewers
Darwin Barney, ss, So
Bill Rowe, Sr, 1b
Shea McFeely, 3b, Rd 28 D'Backs
Chris Kunda, 2b, Rd 19, Yankees
Mitch Canham, c, Rd 41, Cardinals
Scott Santschi, of, Jr
Tyler Graham, of, Rd 19, Giants

Against the Field:

vs Stanford 3-0

SandyD
06-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Facing Oregon State in the Super Regional

... that darn Stanford ...

(I lived in Tucson during the Jerry Kindall era. That's what we called them. The coach is the same.)

Profile: Stanford Cardinal (33-25)
'05 Finish: Lost in the Baylor Regional
Coach: Mark Marquess, 30th Season

Team stats:

BA .289, Opp BA .281
OBP .361, Opp OBP .351
SLG .416, Opp SLG .407
ERA 4.46, Opp 5.23

Key Players

Greg Reynolds, rhp, Jr, Rd 1 Rockies
Matt Manship, rhp, Sr, Rd 29, A's
Blake Holler, lhp, Rd 13, Angels

Chris Minaker, inf, Sr, Rd 10, Mariners
Michael Taylor, of, So
Ryan Seawell, of/1b, Jr
Chris Lewis, inf, Sr, Rd 32 Angels
Randy Molina, inf, So
Jason Castro, c, 1b, Fr
John Hesfer, c, Sr, Rd 13, D'Backs
Jim Rappaport, of, Jr, Rd 35, Cardinals

Against the Field:

vs Oregon State 0-3

SandyD
06-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Ole Miss Rebels will host a Super Regional against Miami begining Sat.

Profile: Ole Miss Rebels (43-20)
'05 Finish: lost to Texas in Super Regional
Coach: Mike Bianco, 6th Season

Team stats:

BA .311, Opp BA .223
OBP .381, Opp OBP .353
SLG .468, Opp SLG .395
ERA 4.51, Opp 6.90

Key Players
Brett Bukvich, lhp, inf, Fr
Lance Lynn, rhp, Fr
Tommy Baumgardner, lhp, Sr, Rd 28, Rockies
Will Kline, rhp, So, Rd 39, Astros
Garrett White, lhp, Jr, Rd 6 Dodgers

Chris Coghlan, inf, Jr, Rd 1 Supp, Marlins
Alex Presley, of, Jr, Rd 8, Pirates
C. J. Ketchum, inf, Jr
Justin Henry, inf, So
Zack Cozart, inf, So
Logan Power, of, Fr
Mark Wright, of, Jr
Jon-Jon Hancock, of, rhp, So
Evan Button, inf, Fr
Justin Brashear, c, Jr, Rd 44, D'Backs

Against the Field:

vs Alabama
1-3
vs Georgia
3-0
vs South Carolina
1-2

SandyD
06-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Miami Hurricanes travel to Oxford to face Ole Miss.

Profile: Miami Hurricanes (39-21)
'05 Finish: lost to Nebraska in Super Regional
Coach: Jim Morris, 13th Year

Team stats:

BA .310, Opp BA .237
OBP .391, Opp OBP .339
SLG .469, Opp SLG .373
ERA 4.27, Opp 5.87

Key Players
Manny Miguelez, lhp, So
Carlos Gutierrez, rhp, So
David Gutierrez, rhp, So (brothers)
Scott Maine, lhp, Rd 23, Rockies
Chris Perez, Jr, rhp, Rd 1 Supp, Cardinals
Ricky Orta, rhp, Rd 4, Mariners

Jon Jay, of, Jr, Rd 2, Cardinals
Jemile Weeks, 2b, Fr
Tommy Giles, of, Sr, Rd 8, Dodgers
Danny Valencia, 3b, Jr, Rd 19, Twins
Eddy Rodriguez, c, Jr, Rd 20 Reds
Roger Tomas, ss, Jr
Dennis Raben, 1b, Fr
Yonder Alonso, 3b, Fr
Blake Tekotta, cf, Fr

Against the Field:

vs Clemson 0-3
vs North Carolina 1-2
vs Georgia Tech 1-2

SandyD
06-09-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm almost done. The SuperRegional in Athens Ga features the Georgia Bulldogs and the So Carolina Gamecocks.

Profile: Georgia Bulldogs (45-20)
#7 National Seed
'05 Finish: No Post Season Play
Coach: David Perno, 5th Season

Team stats:

BA .310, Opp BA .276
OBP .381, Opp OBP .346
SLG .478, Opp SLG .401
ERA 4.64, Opp 6.32

Key Players

Brooks Brown, rhp, Jr, Rd 1 Supp, D'Backs
Mickey Westphal, lhp, Sr
Nathan Moreau, lhp, Fr
Rip Warren, lhp, Sr

Jonathan Wyatt, of, Jr
Joey Side, of, Jr, Rd 6, D'Backs
Jason Jacobs, c, 2b, Sr, Rd 20, Mets
Josh Morris, 1b, 3b, So, Rd 12, Braves
Ryan Peisel, 3b, 1b, So
Matt Robbins, of, Jr
Gordon Beckham, ss, Fr
Bobby Felmy, of, Sr, Rd 22, Giants
Kyle Keen, of, Sr
Matthew Dunn, 2b/ss, Sr

Against the Field:
vs Alabama 1-2
vs Clemson 1-1
vs Ole Miss 0-3
vs Georgia Tech 2-1
vs So Carolina 4-0

SandyD
06-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Final profile. I'm done for the night. I will go back and edit earlier profiles to show draft picks once I find them.

Facing Georgia in the Super Regional: South Carolina Gamecocks

Profile: South Carolina Gamecocks (40-23)
'05 Finish: lost to Georgia Tech in Atlanta
Coach: Ray Tanner, 10th Season

Team stats:

BA .306, Opp BA .253
OBP .389, Opp OBP .335
SLG .481, Opp SLG .385
ERA 4.43, Opp 6.44

Key Players

Forrest Beverly, lhp, Jr, Rd 23, Nationals
Mike Cisco, rhp, Fr
Harris Honeycutt, rhp, So
Andrew Cruse, rhp, So, Rd 9, Phillies

Michael Campbell, of, Sr, Rd 20 Padres
Chris Brown, inf, Sr
Neil Giesler, inf, Sr
Trent Kline, c, So
Andrew Crisp, inf, Fr
Adam Crisp, of, So twin brothers
Justin Smoak, 1b, Fr
Cheyne Hurst, of, Jr
Robbie Grinestaff, inf/of, Jr
Reese Havens, inf, FR

jmcclain19
06-09-2006, 01:10 AM
To supplement the fine work Sandy has gathered, here is the Baseball America (NOTE: THIS IS FREE CONTENT BA CYBER SNOOPS - IT'S FREE CONTENT YOU GAVE TO THE MASSES AND WE'RE POSTING IT) Scouting Report on the CWS Super Regionals

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/news/261676.html

Friday-Saturday-Sunday Super-Regionals Schedule
Oral Roberts (41-14) at No. 1 Clemson (50-14)
3 p.m. (ESPN), 4 p.m. (ESPNU), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)

Col. of Charleston (46-15) at No. 8 Georgia Tech (48-16)
Noon (ESPN), 1 p.m. (ESPNU), 1 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU)

Missouri (35-26) at No. 5 Cal St. Fullerton (46-13)
10 p.m. (ESPN2), 10 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 10 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)

North Carolina (48-13) at No. 4 Alabama (44-19)
7 p.m. (ESPN), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 4 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU)

No one knows the super-regional teams better than their opponents. Will Kimmey talked to college coaches who had faced multiple teams still alive in the NCAA tournament and offered them anonymity in exchange for their candor.

CLEMSON (50-14)

Coach (Record at school): Jack Leggett (605-257, 13 years)
CWShistory: 10 trips to Omaha, last in 2002
CWSroute: Won the Clemson regional in three games, beating Mississippi State in the final

Top Players Key players
Tyler Colvin, lf .359, 22 2B, 12 HR, 23 SB
Andy D'Alessio, 1b .321, 22 HR, 80 RBIs
Stephen Faris, rhp 9-2, 2.34, 78-16 K-BB
Jason Berken, rhp 9-3, 2.72, 74-32 K-BB
Josh Cribb, rhp 9-0, 3.09, 83-26 K-BB

Scouting Report

I thought Clemson was without question best team in (Atlantic Coast Conferene). They really pitch, and are deeper than anybody in country. The starting pitchers don't overpower you; they all come at you and throw strikes. They're bulldogs and work fast. It makes you feel uncomfortable at the plate. If you see a fastball early, be ready to hack. I thought all of them were pretty much the same: fastball, 86-88 (mph), and they all had an average slider. They threw a get-me-over slider early in count and get you to chase with two strikes. Slow the tempo down on them and have a good opposite-field approach.

The one thing that is overlooked is their catcher (Adrian Casanova) is best defensive catcher we saw all year. He can really catch and throw and he gets pitches for their guys because he's so calm. It didn't seem like they pitched on the plate much. They knocked the spots out and the umpire called it because he was doing a great job of receiving. He compliments their staff. They're all 90 with a breaking ball but they're not eye-popping stuff. They just hit their spots and have a great plan to get ground balls and have a great fielding team.

They like to put a lot of pressure on you. Really good team speed. Seven of the nine hitters can run. There's a couple that can really, really run. Everyone is good enough they can start runners and can bunt and can handle bat.

They have so many options with speed and bunting, they run a team offense really good and understand what coach Leggett is trying to do. They raked. Colvin was a first-rounder, a great hitter. We thought he was one of best hitters we've seen; he can do it all. We struggled with Harbin the most; he tore us up. He's not big or imposing, but has some sock. With Harbin, throw the first pitch out of zone because he's hacking at the first close pitch he sees. D'Alessio killed us. He has good strength, but stay away and spin breaking balls--he tries to hook everything. But if you miss, he'll kill it.

ORAL ROBERTS (42-14)

Coach (Record at School): Rob Walton (134-45, third season)
CWS history: One trip to Omaha in 1978
CWS route: Won the Fayetteville Regional in three games, beating Oklahoma State in the final

Top Players Key Stats
Andy Bouchie, c .377, 12 HR, 53 RBI
Chad Rothford, 1b .337, 12 HR, 60 RBI
Chris Ashman, rhp 10-1, 2.02, 72-24 K-BB
Nick Jones, rhp 7-4, 3.67, 88-29 K-BB
Sean Jarrett, rhp 7-1, 1.98, 70-9 K-BB, 7 saves

Scouting Report

Rob Walton does as good a job as anybody with pitchers. They buy into that plan. They're a little bit older of a club and have those two guys on the mound who can really pitch: Jones and Ashman are legit. They pitch and they throw offspeed for strikes at will. They make you hit their pitches. They're good on the mound, and that keeps them in games. (Eric) Crichton in middle relief can throw backdoor sliders at will and a cutter and change in any count. And then you're 0-2 all of a sudden. Offensively, you have to take away their best stuff, so look for an offspeed pitch.

You can't let them hang around in games. You need to capitalize on innings and move runners when you can. If they stay in it, they have a chance to beat you because you're always down in the count to them. We got a bunch of hits, but when you get guys on base, they won't give in with a fastball. If you're not disciplined at the plate, you'll have trouble scoring crooked innings.

They get timely hitting. It's not like you see a guy swing and go 'wow.' They get a hit when they need to and they put it in play when they need to. They've got that feel going now where they think they can't lose. Rothford is definitely a guy at the plate, so is Bouchie. You can pitch to them, but they battle with two strikes, don't overswing. If you've got 91-93s, they might struggle with those velocity guys. They have good team speed. They try to run, hit and run and move runners. They're very good at giving themselves up and bunting and pushing and dragging. Their two-strike approach and two-out hits kill you. He's done a great job with that offense. All the outfielders can throw, and they do all the fundamental stuff well.

COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON (46-15)

Coach (Record at school): John Pawlowski (260-151-1, seven years)
CWS history: None
CWS route: Won the Lexington Regional in three games, beating Kentucky in the final

Top Players Key Stats
Nick Chigges, rhp 11-1, 1.32, 94-44 K-BB
Graham Godfrey, rhp 8-2, 3.34, 96-39 K-BB
Alex Garabedian, c .364, 6 HR, 50 RBI
Larry Cobb, rf .361, 7 HR, 20 SB
Phillip Coker, cf .333, 35 SB

Scouting Report

Charleston, those kids have been in regionals for three years and are not scared. They can beat you with pitching and the short game. They're solid defensively with good outfield speed and do not do a lot to hurt themselves. Pitching-wise, they had the deepest staff of any we saw, and we played 18 games against regional teams. They've got four quality guys they can use to start games. Chigges is a legit SEC guy, and so is (Josh) McLaughlin, the closer. As a staff, they do a good job mixing it up. They're confident in throwing breaking balls in hitter's counts. They throw strikes; you've got to be ready to hit early. You don't want to put yourself in 0-1, 1-2 counts. Godfrey is the best velocity guy. He'll challenge with the fastball. Be ready to hit early against him. Make him throw the fastball down in zone, don't chase it up.

They have a lot of small guys that can run and only Garabedian can run it out of ballpark. Five or six guys in that lineup will bunt any time. They get the leadoff guy on, try to move him over, bunt, steal a bag, hit and run. Do a good job holding runners, be prepared, and make sure you get an out when they bunt to avoid the big inning. If you can keep leadoff guys off base or limit them, that's huge. Force them to beat you by stringing hits together. It's important to get a lead, take them out of that short game. They'll still do it, but put them in situation where it's three or four runs down, force them to play for more of a big inning. They don't have power they had last year in lineup, but still have good hitters. Keep Cobb off base. Coker hit a grand slam against Kentucky, but he's not typically a power guy. He's best bunter I've seen in several years.

GEORGIA TECH (48-16)

Coach (Record at school): Danny Hall (577-246, 13 seasons)
CWS history: Two trips to Omaha, last in 2002
CWS route: Won the Atlanta Regional in three games, beating Vanderbilt in the final

Top Players Key Stats
Matt Wieters, c/rhp .354, 13 HR, 67 RBI
Whit Robbins, 3b .358, 12 HR, 63 RBI
Wes Hodges, dh .337, 11 HR, 64 RBI
Jeff Kindel, lf .337, 11 HR, 49 RBI
Blake Wood, rhp 10-4, 5.01, 84-40 K-BB

Scouting Report

They're banged up a little bit. (Danny) Payne is Len Dykstra out there, and him being out hurts them. Hodges is hurt, too. That's a lot of offense, but they can still hurt you. They're always as talented as anybody in country. Offensively, Tech still has plenty of guys in the middle of the order capable of running into some balls. Robbins stepped it up this year. Now Wieters is swinging the hot bat. He's got a great approach, and he can hit it out to all fields. Then there's Kindel, and (Steven) Blackwood's a veteran guy that always has had a good approach at the plate. Robbins and Wieters, you can get them hard in and hard away, but you better not miss. It better be in-in or two inches off, or it's gone.

I think there are some spots in lineup where they're not quite as potent as over the years, more so down in the order. Pitch aggressively, have a guy that's not afraid to pitch inside to a lot of those guys. The biggest thing is challenge their hitters. They're going to get their hits. What you don't want to do is compound that by making mistakes. Don't just feed that fastball. Keep them from swinging out of their shoes.

The way you get to them is hit them. Their pitching is very average--just OK--but keeps them in games. They're better defensively using Wieters behind the plate, but they've got to keep him away from there and in the bullpen because he's the best arm. Certainly Tech is capable of any guy on any day going out and being lights out, they're just mixing it and doing what they can with it. The big thing with them is take advantage of their starting pitching not being very good. Blake Wood has a good arm, but he's up and down and his breaking ball isn't special. Pitching depth is going to hurt them this year, but they can definitely go to Omaha because they can score runs.

CAL STATE FULLERTON (46-13)

Coach (Record at school): George Horton (448-185-1, 10 seasons)
CWS history: 13 trips to Omaha, last in 2004; four championships, last in 2004
CWS route: Won Fullerton Regional in three games, beating Fresno State in the final.

Top Players Key Stats
Wes Roemer, rhp 11-1, 2.01, 113-4 K-BB
Lauren Gagnier, rhp 13-4, 2.51, 93-22 K-BB
Dustin Miller, rhp 11-1, 44-19 K-BB
Justin Turner, 2b .355, 56 runs, 19 SB, 14 2B
Blake Davis, ss .363, 56 runs, 14 SB, 12 2B

Scouting Report

Fullerton is really good. When it gets down to the nitty-gritty, you're talking about the best college middle in the country with Davis and Turner, it's like coaches on the field. The outfield is going to lead the galaxy in diving catches. They will make more diving catches than the rest of the teams playing in this thing.

Their pitching surprised some people; they pitched beyond expectations. Roemer is real special. He's your typical low three-quarters pitcher. If he gets in a jam and tries to pitch around a guy, he says 'the hell with it, I'll just bury it in your ribs and get the next guy.' You can't take away Roemer's this or that because he uses both sides of the plate. Gagnier has come leaps and bounds. He's turned into a real good player. (Closer Vinnie) Pestano being out can hurt them because the bullpen is very vulnerable because you're not sure if you can depend on (Ryan) Paul. They will ride their starters, and really do. You want to get the starters out and get into the secondary pitching, but the fact is that nobody's done that, and nobody will do that.

Of all the teams we saw, they are the most advanced at all things. They sac, slash, late-show drag and if you're not used to that, you're dead. Fullerton makes you make errors. They fake bunt and steal. You play them and they beat you, you think you're the worst coach in America. They make you feel that way.

It's the typical Fullerton offense. They don't have the power--not even really doubles power--most of their doubles come from hustle doubles. It's not boom into the gap. They hit .300 as a team but if there's a runner on second with less than two outs, they get them over. Good lefthanded pitching can give them trouble. You have to get the first guy of each inning out, pitch ahead, get count leverage. If you can beat them 2-1, 4-3, that's what you do. You want them to try to bang. If they have a plan and bunt and get locked in, it's over. It's a well-oiled team. They touch the ball and create offensive opportunities. They're clutch: they cash in and don't get tight with second and third and one and out and pop out. They don't do that.

MISSOURI (35-26)

Coach (Record at school): Tim Jamieson (399-288,12 years)
CWS history: Six trips to Omaha, last in 1964, one championship in 1954.
CWS route: Won the Malibu bracket in five games after losing the opener; first No. 4 seed to win a regional since 64-team field began in 1999.

Top Players Key Stats
Max Scherzer, rhp 7-2, 1.95, 72-23 K-BB
Nathan Culp, lhp 11-5, 3.29, 80-17 K-BB
Jacob Priday, c .289, 11 HR, 49 RBI
Brock Bond, 3b .345, .444 OBP, 11 SB
Evan Frey, of .335, .458 OBP

Scouting Report

They have two of the better pitches in country in Scherzer and Culp. Culp obviously is not as electric as Scherzer as far as stuff, but he's got a high pitcher's IQ. He can see things in swings and attack things that some guys can't. He does a great job of executing his pitches, like a poor man's J.P. Howell. If they get good starting pitching in a super-regional of just three games, those two arms can carry them. They can match up with anyone's starters.

With Scherzer, we basically took the fastball away. It's a pro mentality versus him. You can't cover all his pitches. We got good swings going up there looking fastball early in the count; he hasn't used his other pitches as much. Culp is fastball to both sides of the plate, cutter in on righthanders and changeups. He just mixed us to death. (Rick) Zagone threw good against us, low three-quarter lefty who mixes at 85-87, but as far as bullpen (Taylor) Parker is lefthander that's fastball-breaking ball and you're going to see that breaking ball at some point. (Travis) Wendte has good stuff: 91 with a Frisbee slider.

Offensively they don't have that big guy in the middle with power, they just have to execute and work within their offense to win 3-2. They look like a bunch of big strong donkeys, and you feel like as a pitcher you have to be really careful. But they're more battlers than home run guys. Priday at times gets pull conscious, we just stay hard away and slider away with him. He's got bat speed and big power, but he's basically the standout guy. If you have a situation where you don't have to pitch to him, the guys in front and behind him are not as good hitters. They can make you pay if you get a guy who doesn't have great command, they can take advantage of that. Jamieson does a great job of teaching strike-zone discipline. All nine guys do a great job of making pitchers work. It's very similar to old Oklahoma State with Gary Ward: get the pitch count up on starters and jump into the bullpen. They make you throw strikes.

NORTH CAROLINA (48-13)

Coach (Record at school): Mike Fox (335-158-1, eight seasons).
CWS History: Four trips to Omaha, last in 1989
CWS route: Won the Chapel Hill Regional in three games, beating Winthrop in the final

Top Players Key Stats
Andrew Miller, lhp 12-2, 2.26, 108-35 K-BB
Daniel Bard, rhp 8-3, 3.47, 90-33 K-BB
Robert Woodard, rhp 6-1, 3.48, 47-19 K-BB
Josh Horton, ss .409, 16 2B, 12 SB, 57 R
Jay Cox, lf .386, 13 HR, .655 SLG

Scouting Report

Obviously, they have two first rounders, and Woodard might be their best pitcher. I really think that kid competes; he knows how to pitch and mixes speeds and hits spots. We've never beaten him. Miller and Bard have great stuff, and you'll have a hard time beating them when they're on. When Bard gets runners on, he gets wild. He pitches better with a lead. Miller has learned how to pitch more this year. He gets ahead with 88 (mph fastballs) and then throws 93-94 late in the count. His slider is unhittable. (Andrew) Carignan is the best guy in a good bullpen; he's got a really good fastball and is a bulldog. (Jonathan) Hovis is really strong, too.

With both Bard and Miller, bring them down in zone, don't chase that cheese up high. Lay off the offspeed--they have trouble throwing it for strikes--but that's easier said than done. Miller has a better pickoff move. Miller, roll with him, stay in the game, get his pitch count up and try to win against the bullpen.

The catalyst to the team is Horton; he's a gamer. He uses whole field, can run, can bunt, and he hits anywhere one to three. He's a tough kid, a leader, but he didn't show much at shortstop, he's an average college shortstop. Guys like (Chad) Flack and (Benji) Johnson you can pitch to, but if you make mistakes they hurt you. UNC can the hit long ball and can also play the small game. Keep those small guys off the bases; they're not a great hitters but good runners. (Mike) Cavasini is a weak player and you can pitch to him, but he plays his role well. He's got a weak arm in the outfield. (Kyle) Shelton can hurt you if you make mistakes; (Reid) Fronk's the same way. And you can bunt on him at third. That's something you want to do with Miller and Bard on the mound.

ALABAMA (44-19)

Coach (Record with team): Jim Wells (522-244, 12th season)
CWS history: Five trips to Omaha, last in 1999
CWS route: Won the Tuscaloosa Regional in three games, beating Troy in the final.

Top Players Key Stats
Wade LeBlanc, lhp 11-0, 2.62, 124-42 K-BB
Emeel Salem, cf .364, 67 R, 14 2B, 36 SB
Tommy Hunter, rhp 10-3, 3.10, 77-21 K-BB
Kody Valverde, c .346, 12 HR, 59 RBO, 17 2B
David Robertson, rhp 4-3, 2.60, 62-28 K-BB, 10 saves

Scouting Report

It starts on the mound with LeBlanc, (Bernard) Robert and Hunter, who has been outstanding on Sundays. Robertson is pretty good out of the pen. LeBlanc and Robert are all about changeups. They don't throw them for strikes, so if you're not disciplined, you will find it a long evening. If you lay off, you get pitch counts up and they have to go to bullpen. And other than Robertson, it's just OK. Hunter just comes right at you, fricking four-seam fastballs and the breaking ball is good too. He really competes.

When you talk offense, none of the position players are prospects--all the prospects are on the mound. Emeel Salem makes them go. You've got to keep him off base. He's the typical speedy leadoff guy. He's the key. When he's on it really keys the offense. (Alex) Avila is a nice freshman hitter, Valverde had a good year, but it's not scary when those guys are up.

They play team offense and they make you play good defense. They get bunts down, hit and run. It's not like old Alabama where you make pitches and got them out or they hit a home run. They don't have prospect-type hitters, and they just play more offense. That makes them more difficult to defend. I'd rather play a team that tries to hit it out of the ballpark. They definitely don't play the traditional SEC power ball, and they play in a little tiny ballpark, which you would think they would have a lot of home runs. Nobody's going to scare you in that lineup, but they play team offense. Their kids know, 'We don't have to score eight runs, we're good enough to win if we score five.' So they relax, catch the ball and score when they can. With that pitching, it's usually enough.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 08:00 AM
This is the list so far that are Reds draft picks to look for in the super regionals. I am updating as I am going through the Reds draft list.
20 594 Eddy Rodriguez c Miami FL is the Reds 20th round pick.

Cal State Fullerton plays tonight (late), if you want to watch these guys in action.

Thanks, jm. I was going to post that link this morning.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 06:11 PM
oral roberts just tied clemson in the top of the ninth. If you have espn, take a look. Nice park. The field at Clemson has a terrace in the outfield.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks Sandy. You are right it does look like a nice field from tv shots.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Clemson has the tying run on second and the winning run on first with one out in the bottom of the 9th.

BTW, Georgia Tech beat College of Charleston 5-0 earlier.

Next game UNC vs Bama.

Later, Missouri vs Cal State Fullerton
featuring Reds Rd 7 pick Justin "Red" Turner, and 34th Rd pick Danny Dorn.

Clemson wins with GS WalkOff HR by Tyler Colvin. (Cubs draftee).

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Grandslam walk off wins it for Clemson. That was an amazing game.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 06:31 PM
That was close enough Sandy.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks. I think it's kind of funny that Turner's nickname is "Red."

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 07:17 PM
UNC in top of first gets 2 runs on a Homerun.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Andrew Miller pitching for the TarHeels, BTW

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Miller is getting hit pretty hard so far.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 07:39 PM
It's still 2-0 UNC going to the bottom of second.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 07:43 PM
It's still 2-0 UNC going to the top of the Third.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Wade Leblanc makes an error for Alabama. Its now 3-0 UNC going to bottom of the Third.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Its now 3-0 UNC Thru Three innings.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Its now 3-0 UNC going to the bottom of the 4th.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 08:30 PM
5 nothing UNC now.

I've got the Reds on MLB-TV, and the college game on the television behind me on mute.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 09:03 PM
8-0 UNC in the bottom of the 6th

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks Sandy. Computer kept bumping me. It's 8-2 UNC in the top of the 8th.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 09:50 PM
11-2, with Bama trying to make a comeback in the bot 8 . Two on, one out. ;)

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Its now 11-3 UNC with two on one out for Alabama in bottom of 8th.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 09:54 PM
11-4, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Still only one out. Still Bot 8th.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 09:55 PM
SAC FLY! That'll get the job done...11-5. Two outs now.

GO ... inning over.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 09:57 PM
This is getting to be a interesting game. Its 11-5 UNC going to top of the 9th.

jmcclain19
06-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I picked UNC to go all the way - with good hitting and dominant pitching, they are still my team

Heh - although so far I've lost four of my eight guesses for the CWS

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/cws/bracketchallenge/Bracket.html?picks=38302300C5E0&name=jmcclain19&email=&tie=45&score=14

I'd love to see Oregon State keep winning. Their resurgance is great for the Pac - 10. Maybe sooner or later, their continued success, will make Oregon step up and re-start their baseball program again. Plus I hate all forms of Stanford athletics.

I have friends who graduated from Rice, so I always love seeing them do well. And Joe Savery is one awesome college baseball player (The 2007 No. 1 overall pick).

I've always had a soft spot for Fullerton, so I hope they make it. I'm totally indifferent about UGA/USC & GaTech & CofC. Oral Roberts would be a great story in the CWS. Miami can fall off into the Atlantic and I wouldn't miss it, so go Ole Miss.

That about covers my picks.

jmcclain19
06-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Here is the rest of the free BA coverage of the other half of the Super Regionals

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/news/261678.html

Super-regional capsules for Saturday-Monday bracket
By Will Kimmey

Super Regionals Schedule

All games are Saturday, Sunday, Monday

Oklahoma (44-20) at No. 2 Rice (53-10)
7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 1 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU), 1 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU)

South Carolina (40-23) at No. 7 Georgia (45-20)
11 a.m. (ESPN2), 4 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU), 1 p.m. (ESPN/ESPNU)

Miami (Fla.) (39-21) at Mississippi (43-20)
7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)

Stanford (33-25) at Oregon St. (42-14)
10 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 10 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU), 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)

No one knows the super-regional teams better than their opponents. Will Kimmey talked to college coaches who had faced multiple teams still alive in the NCAA tournament and offered them anonymity in exchange for their candor.

RICE (53-10)

Coach (Record at school): Wayne Graham (680-267, 15 seasons)
CWS History: Four trips to Omaha, last in 2003; one championship in 2003
CWS Route: Won Houston regional in three games, beating Baylor in the final.

Top Players Key Stats
Eddie Degerman, rhp 12-1, 1.67, 150-45 K-BB
Cole St. Clair, lhp 5-2, 1.55, 91-24 K-BB, 11 saves
Joe Savery, 1b/lhp .336, 19 2B, 7 HR, 59 RBI; 5-1, 2.76 62-24 K-BB
Brian Friday, ss .377, 21 2B, 8 HR, 52 RBI
Josh Rodriguez, 3b .346, 9 HR, 20 2B, 58 RBI

Scouting Report

Obviously, they can pitch with anybody in the country and that probably includes most Double-A teams. The starting pitching is dominant. (Reliever) Bryce Cox just started to figure it out in the second half of the season by changing his arm action. He always had velocity, now he has control to go with it. He's a righthanded complement to St. Clair. And St. Clair is a game ender. If he's in the game and you're losing, you will not come back. He's a strikeout guy with power arm from the left side and college guys just do not see that.

When you score three or four runs on Rice, you feel like it's eight or nine. They have an athletic defense, so on the rare occasions you put it in play, they're going to catch it. Degerman, in terms of his stats, he's a front-line production guy. Savery will be a first-rounder next year (and) St. Clair is a first- (or) second-rounder next year. With that amount of a quality arms in a short series, you can't get to a bad arm.

Brian Friday is quality hitter. He's a line-drive power guy with a high average that gets on base a lot. Keeping him and Rodriguez and (Tyler) Henley off base is a key. The top three hitters are quality pro-type hitters. Savery is a power lefthanded bat, (Aaron) Luna has as much power as any freshman in country with a quick bat. He has some holes, but make a mistake and you're going to pay. Jordan Dodson is an adequate outfielder. He's in there for his bat, but he can get hot and carry you for a weekend.

You have to keep their offense down because they will keep yours down. You have to win 4-3, 3-2. You better move runners up when you can and you better drive runners in when you can because you won't have many opportunities to do it. On the flip side, if they start to score, it's going to be tough to come back. The team that will beat them needs dominant pitching, because if they can score on you, you're done.

OKLAHOMA (40-19)

Coach (Record with school): Sunny Golloway (40-19, one season)
CWS history: Nine trips to Omaha, last in 1995; two championships, last in 1994
CWS route: Won Norman regional in five games, beating Wichita State twice.

Top Players Key Stats
Daniel McCutchen, rhp 9-8, 4.00, 138-41 K-BB
Chuckie Caufield, rf .358, 18 SB, 66 R, 9 HR, 17 2B
Ryan Rohlinger, 3b .377, 14 2B, 12 HR, 63 RBI
Kevin Smith, 1b .317, 9 HR, 65 RBI, 16 2B
Steven Guerra, rhp 11-3, 3.59, 71-28 K-BB

Scouting Report

The whole infield has been there, done that, and knows what they're doing. They can really catch it, man. Their offense is tough to pitch to. They're all older hitters who do a good job making adjustments. Caufield is the spark plug. If he's on base consistently you’re in trouble. He can really run and gets it started.

Rohlinger and Smith and Kody Kaiser are just good hitters who in that park hit for power. They're more pure hitters who have some strength. Rohlinger is a great pure hitter and never gets fooled on a pitch. Mix patterns on them, you can't pitch the same guy the same way three times in a row. Show in and away, change speeds. They were really hot against us and just dialed in. Everything we threw, they knew what was coming. Stay out of the big inning; you can't walk guys or give up free outs or defensive mistakes. They have a lot of heart and play awfully hard. During that 12-game win streak, they won five or six in their last at-bat, leaving people on the field. They did that twice to Missouri. They never give up and keep battling. You can't let them back in games if you're up.

They've got to hit when McCutchen isn’t on the mound. You have to jump on them from the start and pitch them well. If you get them down some runs in an RBI situation, Smith or Rohlinger are antsy. You can get them to chase early because they know they're the guys. But they're going to hit and the opponent will as well.

McCutchen is ultra competitive, real high energy on mound with a good fastball and great curveball, that's his out pitch. Try and stay with him and battle pitch for pitch. He can get frustrated if you screw with his rhythm and step out. He wants to work fast. He's got great stuff and three good pitches and knows how to pitch. Do what you can to frustrate him and make sure you're ready to hit. The main weakness is, after McCutchen they don’t have a standout arm, they just pitch. Guerra has good numbers but he's 86-88 (mph) and just moves it around. He's definitely hittable. They play good defense behind their guys. They throw strikes and use the defense. They aren’t overpowering, McCutchen can be at times, but other than that it's going to be a pretty offensive game.

SOUTH CAROLINA (41-23)

Coach (Record with school): Ray Tanner (454-198, 10 seasons)
CWS History: Eight trips to Omaha, last in 2004
CWS Route: Won Charlottesville Regional in four games, beating Evansville in the final.

Top Players Key Stats
Justin Smoak, 1b .306, 17 2B, 16 HR, 61 RBI
Neil Giesler, 3b .357, 9 2B, 36 RBI
Wynn Pelzer, rhp 5-4, 3.63, 63-35 K-BB, 5 saves
Mike Cisco, rhp 7-4, 3.57, 71-22 K-BB
Phil Disher, dh .275, 5 HR, .627 SLG

Scouting Report

South Carolina is kind of an enigma. They were so hot for a while, then went into the tank. And now in regionals, they got it back with the Disher kid hitting in place of (Michael) Campbell after he got hurt. They've got good lefthanded hitting in Giesler and (Robbie) Grinestaff and Smoak. You're hoping Smoak and Giesler aren't up with guys scoring position. (Chris) Brown is a catalyst.

In the lineup and on the bench, they have guys who can homer. When they get big hits here and there, that's what make them effective. Smoak is one of best freshman hitters in the country. He doesn’t have that South Carolina approach of trying to drop bombs and yank everything. He shoots middle of field. I want to say pitch them backwards. They are very aggressive. If you get them 0-2, they are in big-time chase mode. A breaking ball pitcher can have good success with them, hitting with offspeed stuff. That's a recipe for success.

Pitching's kind of been their downfall. When they lost (Arik) Hempy (to Tommy John surgery), that really hurt because there's not a legit Friday guy now. Pelzer was awesome out of bullpen, but now he's starting and I don’t like many other guys out there. I love Pelzer and his split, but the other guys are typical South Carolina guys. They try to elevate the fastball, bury the breaking ball and throw a lot of offspeed stuff. They are generally up and down; instead of expanding (the strike zone) laterally they expand vertically. The big thing for them is can they slow teams down, because they're going to give up some runs. They have arm strength, but they get down in counts and get the ball up. They're got 90-91 (mph fastballs) but it gets straight.

Their defensive numbers are really good. (Reese) Havens is talented at shortstop and Giesler does a nice job at third. (Trent) Kline is a good catcher. It's a typical South Carolina club in that they don’t beat themselves.

GEORGIA (41-19)

Coach (Record with school): David Perno (177-122, five seasons)
CWS History: Four trips to Omaha, last in 2004; one championship, 1990
CWS Route: Won Athens Regional in five games, beating Florida State twice.

Top Players Key Stats
Joey Side, cf .352, 19 2B, 13 HR, 7 3B, 53 R
Josh Morris, 1b .311, 23 HR, 14 2B, 66 RBI
Joshua Fields, rhp 3-2, 1.77, 50-11 K-BB, 15 saves
Brooks Brown, rhp 7-4, 4.17, 111-38 K-BB
Gordan Beckham, ss .294, 17 2B, 12 HR, 52 RBI

Scouting Report

This is the best team in the league for me. They've got talent and prospects on mound and in position players. They've been swinging the bats really well. I don’t think they have an automatic out in the lineup; it's good 1-9, or at least 1-7. I love Joey Side, you don't want to see him up with runners on. You can't make mistakes to Morris or he'll hammer them. Morris hit 20-some home runs, but you feel like you can pitch to him, especially with some velocity you can get in on him.

I like their offensive approach. (New hitting coach) Doug Sisson made a dramatic difference in their hitters' approaches and team demeanor. They’re calm, play the game the right way. The same kids were there last year, but they're better. They stay on the baseball, trying to hammer it from left-center to right-center. You better be able to pitch.

They're pitching better now than what they did at the beginning of the year. Rip Warren is good now, Trevor Holder was good. You know what Brown brings, power stuff even if he's a little erratic. They're getting key quality outings from these guys. They've got a really nice mix. (Mickey) Westphal is crafty senior lefty who's done a nice job of pitching. (Nathan) Moreau is good as a freshman, and they have a stud in bullpen. They can mix and match with Warren to chase lefties and Fields has been lights out, up to 95 with a breaking ball that's good. It’s a seven-inning game, with Warren as a set up guy and Fields blowing it out. That gives them a lot of confidence. Westphal, a soft lefty, doesn’t overpower you. Take a middle-of-the-field and changeup approach. You can't get too big or undisciplined against him. They're effective because it's a soft lefty, Brown's got a good arm, then another lefty with a good arm. That's three looks in three days.

I really like Beckham at short, really like (Jason) Jacobs behind plate, that's good move with him. Side is premium defender in center, with him, (Bobby) Felmy and (Jonathan) Wyatt, they cover the outfield really well. (Ryan) Piesel at third, you can exploit.

MIAMI (39-21)

Coach (Record with school): Jim Morris (602-218-3, 13 seasons)
CWS History: 21 trips to Omaha, last in 2004; four championships, last in 2001
CWS Route: Won Lincoln Regional in three games, beating Manhattan in the final

Top Players
Key Stats
Jon Jay, cf .361, 14 2B, 70 R, 28 SB
Jemile Weeks, 2b .346, 61 R, 17 2B, 9 3B
Tommy Giles, rf .343, 9 HR, 17 2B, 11 SB
Chris Perez, rhp 3-1, 1.74, 12 saves
Scott Maine, lhp 11-3, 4.37

Scouting Report

This isn't a typical Miami powerhouse team. They got in a good regional, not having to see Nebraska, but Jim Morris teams have a tendency to play better late anyway. It's funny, Miami reminds me of Florida State. FSU is so tough at home, they figure out a way to win. They have really, really good ballplayers, and they're young with Weeks, (Dennis) Raben and (Yonder) Alonso. Weeks is very special; his hands are so fast, he runs well, works the count in certain situations. (Catcher Eddy) Rodriguez is much better player this year than last year. Defensively, he's been good, but he's a better hitter now.

All the righthanded hitters are pull, all the lefthanded hitters are spray. Rodriguez and (Danny) Valencia you can pitch one way. Weeks, Alonso, Raben and Jay, each guy you pitch different. If you give them an opening they bust right through it. You have to play great baseball. A normal team might score one run, Miami will score six.

To me, their best player is Giles. He's a good runner with a flat bat in the zone who hits to all fields. You need to keep Weeks off the bases, man he can fly. He doesn't look good fundamentally defensively, but he makes every play and has range that's unbelievable. Alonso, don't let him get extended. He looks to pull. Jay, he doesn't look like anything special but he's a tough out. If you can throw upper 80s, you can get in on him, but not if you don't have a good fastball even if you locate. And Jay is super in center.

On mound they don’t have Friday night guy. Maine is closest thing to it. I like Maine. He's 88-92, good breaking ball with some feel and he attacks the zone. After that it really drops off. Obviously Perez is a stud in the bullpen; it's an eight-inning game with him. But he can be wild. (Andrew) Lane, Danny Gil, (Jon) McLean is good mix-match bullpen, so they can beat anybody late on any day. They are going to be exposed on the mound in a longer series. Be aggressive, make them throw offspeed stuff for strikes by going after fastballs.

MISSISSIPPI (43-20)

Coach (Record with school): Mike Bianco (241-130-1, six seasons)
CWS History: Four trips to Omaha, last in 1972
CWS Route: Won Oxford Regional in three games, beating Tulane in the final.

Top Players Key Stats
Chris Coghlan, 3b .349, 21 2B, 71 R, 24 SB
Zack Cozart, ss .333, 16 2B, 9 HR, 61 RBI, 14 SB
Alex Presley, cf .343, 18 2B, 7 3B, 60 RBI, 20 SB
Mark Wright, rf .301, 14 HR, 19 2B, 72 RBI
Will Kline, rhp 5-2, 3.02, 71-21 K-BB

Scouting Report

Their veteran players from a year ago, when they were loaded, you look at Presley, Cozart, Coghlan, they all had solid years. They played Texas close last year and want to win more now and they can taste it. Coghlan is the best all-around hitter and an outstanding athlete who can beat you with a long ball, line drive, and he's trouble if he gets on base. Him and Presley are the best all-around players. Keep those top four guys off base. They're all athletic, quick and will steal. All line drive hitters. Not a traditional lineup with four slashers up top.

They play very good defense. I love (Justin) Henry at second base. That's a really good infield defense. Cozart is an outstanding shortstop, and I like (Justin) Brashear catching and throwing. He's a decent player who got hot in the regional. He'll hit mistakes and can be pitched to, but will hurt you with a mistake. That's pretty much the bottom of the order, they hurt your mistakes. Mark Wright scares you because he's got bat speed, but not a lot of other guys scare you--but they're good. They have a lot of early action guys that want to swing the first pitch of the at-bat. You want them to get them to swing at pitches early in the count, rather than take pitches and get an advantage.

On the mound they're new. They lost so much. Those guys have gotten better as year's gone on. The key is development, so many guys who hadn't pitched before are out there. Bianco does a great job with his pitchers. Being a former catcher, he's not afraid to run guys out there. Kline is their best arm now, but he threw relief against us and stuffed it. Ole Miss, I do think you can score against them. The pitching is improved, but none of their guys run out there with dominant stuff. The most dominant stuff guys are Lance Lynn and Cody Satterwhite, the two freshmen, but they're the Sunday guy and a bullpen guy. Lynn is one-pitch guy; if he doesn’t establish his second pitch, lefties will get to him if they can handle the fastball. (Brett) Bukvich is mid-80s and throws three pitches for strikes. Take borderline pitches; generally the staff as a whole doesn’t have great command. Take some pitches and get some walks, get advantage counts.

OREGON STATE (42-14)
Coach (Record with school): Pat Casey (383-251-4, 12 seasons)
CWS History: Two trips to Omaha, last in 2005
CWS Route: Won Corvallis Regional in three games, beating Hawaii in the final.

Top Players Key Stats
Cole Gillespie, lf .383, 23 2B, 12 HR, 15 SB, 73 R
Dallas Buck, rhp 11-2, 3.01, 82-51 K-BB
Jonah Nickerson, rhp 10-4, 2.67, 105-31 K-BB
Darwin Barney, ss .339, .444 OBP, 14 SB
Kevin Gunderson, lhp 2-2, 2.40 16 saves

Scouting Report

They've got three really good starters. Buck is Buck. And Buck wins. Talk about his stuff being down or whatever, he still goes out there and sinks it and you can't do much with it. Nickerson is probably a better pitcher. He mixes pitches well, his fastball is right around 90. To me he's going to give you some problems. They key against them is to make it where Gunderson can't get into the game. The other arms are OK.

They have team speed but the pitchers do such a good job throwing strikes and avoiding big innings. The middle infield is as good as anything we saw this year. Barney and (Chris) Kunda can really play defense. Barney's a spark plug for the team, a leader on defense and offense.

Gillespie's the real deal, as good as hitter as we saw all year. He's head and shoulders their best guy and he'll hit doubles on good pitches. Barney is real good, and (Mitch) Canham is a good player with some power. They're good offensively, very underrated. What they did to us, they took advantage of a bad inning. They do a really good job of putting pressure on you, starting runners with hit and run, bunting, (being) very aggressive. Once they get a baserunner, there's going to be something coming. They execute really well. We didn’t want to double up pitches or live in one part of zone or live with one pitch. They adjust well. We tried to mix on them and change speeds and go in and out. They're really smart hitters. It's important to all guys 1-to-9 to get a sac bunt, a sac fly. Get the leadoff man out; that limits their offense. But they're real good at getting on base. They take every breaking ball until they get a strike, so throw breaking balls early and they'll take it for strike one and you get ahead.

Buck is probably pissed where he got drafted (second round), same with Nickerson and Gunderson, I would think they're going to be on fire. They're not happy and lost money and I bet they're on a mission. They got to Omaha last year, so they have that experience, and you often see teams build on that the next year if they return a lot of key guys. It's not just about getting there.

STANFORD (33-25)
Coach (Record with team): Mark Marquess (1,257-615-5, 30 seasons)
CWS History: 15 trips to Omaha, last in 2003; two championships, last in 1988
CWS Route: Won Austin Regional in three games, beating North Carolina State in the final

Top Players Key Stats
Greg Reynolds, rhp 7-5, 3.36, 99-28 K-BB
Chris Minaker, ss .363, 11 HR, 20 2B, 68 RBI
Ryan Seawell, cf .323, .426 OBP,
Chris Lewis, 2b .311, 8 HR, 48 RBI, 14 2B
Nolan Gallagher, rhp 5-4, 3.75, 48-28 K-BB

Scouting Report

More than anything they're just Stanford, in regionals and supers it's ho-hum, let's play. They play within themselves. I can definitely see them getting out of that super-regional if they play like they can play, up to their potential. Stanford has talent. They made a bunch of lineup and rotation changes over the year and now they feel pretty good with guys they have plugged into certain spots. They're absolutely a different team now than early on, and they've got that witch doctor in the dugout, he'll give you fits.

Offensively, they weren’t going real good when we played them, but the potential was there. They have big physical guys in the lineup. (John) Hester can be a really good hitter, (Jim) Rapoport (.249/.310/.340) had a bad year, but he caused havoc on bases. One guy that destroyed us was Minaker. He was awesome. He's a spark plug, the team goes with him. That offense is real tough right now, they got hot at the right time. They knocked Texas and NC State around. Minaker is really good, spraying to all fields and making adjustments. He's a senior and was by far the best hitter. (Michael) Taylor played really well, Lewis had a good series. The had a good approach, good situational stuff with getting bunts down and running the bases. They really take advantage of mistakes by pitchers, you've got to get ahead. Pitch backwards some and hit with your breaking ball. You can pitch to Lewis, he can spin off the ball. Minaker is the most dangerous, he'll make adjustments and attack. Pitch him different throughout the game.

Greg Reynolds has as much stuff as anyone we’ve faced this year. He cruised for five innings before we got to him late. Beating him is tough to win that first game. He's the real deal, throws the fastball for strikes in and out of the zone, with a good breaking ball and a changeup. Reynolds got hot when they got hot. He was OK and just god enough to get you beat early on. That's the major difference for the team. One thing that impressed me was the young lefthander. Jeremy Bleich was nasty. He fills it up and can be upper 80s. The rest of pitching is just average. Gallagher is a good college pitcher. That's three pretty good college starters, they can be pretty tough with those guys. Reynolds has no pattern, he throws three pitches in any count, but you want the ball down against him. Bleich got 1-0, 2-0 counts and we took advantage of his fastball.

jmcclain19
06-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Here is The Baseball Analysts take on the Super Regionals

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/06/super_weekend_a.php

If college baseball needs anything to truly succeed on a larger scale, it's: 1) Cinderella stories in their postseason tournament, 2) big stars to follow. While the latter is hard to come up with given baseball's current draft system, last weekend sure provided some good team stories.

Manhattan almost had their dream regional come true, as the Jaspers nearly won their regional after shutting down Nebraska in the opener. The Cornhuskers struggled in both of their games, exiting days after their stock to win it all had been going up. Nebraska joined multiple top seeds in the ugly weekend, namely the defending champion Texas Longhorns.

Texas lost their Saturday game to a red-hot Stanford team, and then were shocked the next morning with a late-game loss to the N.C. State Wolfpack. Top seeds Oklahoma State and Kentucky both saw smaller schools -- Oral Roberts and College of Charleston, respectively -- come to play against the big boys, dominating the weekend.

And as far as most exciting goes, we had a fantastic Pepperdine regional, as Missouri rebounded from a Friday loss to the Waves to win the regional. While it looks like the seeding committee didn't do their job with so many upsets, such is the nature of college baseball. This is why, if you're smart, you'll keep your eyes glued to the TV this weekend.

So after a dismal weekend on the prediction front last week, I'm back at it again, with your Super Regional preview.
Oklahoma at Rice

Offense should be on hand this weekend in Houston, as both squads averaged more than eight runs per game in 2006. The difference maker should be that, in addition to hitting well, Rice's pitching staff had just a 3.02 ERA this season. Cross your fingers that we have an all-senior pitching match on one day, as Rice's Eddie Degerman and OU's Daniel McCutchen are an interesting pair. Degerman's odd delivery wins out in the battle, as does the whole Rice pitching staff, right down to closer Cole St. Clair.

He might not be a secret, but watch out for Joe Savery as the Owls' weapon this weekend. The future 2007 first rounder is great at the plate and on the mound, and Savery could spell the Sooners' demise this weekend. While I may have said differently last week, until Rice shows signs of weakness, it's pretty difficult to pick against them.

Pick: Rice.
South Carolina at Georgia

One player I missed talking about in my draft review was Joey Side, one of the sixth round's best finds. Side was fantastic in the Bulldogs regional, hitting a home run in every big opportunity. The weekend pushed his OPS north of 1.000, and I should also mention that Side is a good defensive center fielder. Watch out for Side this weekend, who is just one of three Georgia double-digit home run hitters, along with freshman SS Gordon Beckham and first baseman Josh Morris (23 jacks!).

The Georgia offense is a deadly weapon, but the Gamecocks can hit as well. Senior outfielder Michael Campbell puts constant pressure on the defense with a fantastic contact rate, and freshman Justin Smoak does nothing but hit the ball far. Smoak is just one of a few freshman on the team, which could play a role this weekend.

The winner of the Brooks Brown-Mike Cisco match could very well determine this series, but in the end, I'll go with the club that offers the most pitching depth - SC.

Pick: South Carolina.
Miami at Mississippi

Inspired by Bill Simmons, I can hear the promotions for this series already. "Coghlan! Jay! It's Miami and Ole Miss! The Super Regional, only on ESPN U!" The two juniors are the big names of this series, but underclassmen middle infielders - freshman 2B Jemile Weeks for Miami and sophomore SS Zack Cozart for Miss - might have the bigger impact on the weekend.

In the end, I like the advantage that Miss has in the power and bullpen departments. While Chris Perez is as dangerous a player as there is in this series, the Rebels bullpen goes five players deep. If any of Mississippi's freshman starters struggle, look for the bullpen to stymie the Hurricanes.

Pick: Mississippi.
Stanford at Oregon State

On paper, this series isn't close. Oregon State is nearly a point better than the Cardinal in ERA, and .060 points better in OPS. But while we were all anticipating an OSU-Texas Super Regional, Stanford decided to play its best baseball of the season last weekend. At its best, Stanford is a deadly team, anchored of course by second overall choice Greg Reynolds. However, this team simply doesn't have enough power and enough pitching to win.

Oregon State, at least, has the pitching. While Dallas Buck is no longer the pro prospect he once was, the junior has the pitchability to beat a lot of guys. Behind him on the staff, famously, are Jonah Nickerson and Kevin Gunderson, two top-ten round players. Oregon State is a tough team to beat at home, and led by Cole Gillespie, the Beavers will be making a return trip to Omaha at weekend's end.

Pick: Oregon State.
Oral Roberts at Clemson

I admit we didn't give Oral Roberts enough attention last week. The Golden Eagles then went out and played great baseball, led by an offense that is, on paper, better than Clemson's. Andy Bouchie is as good a hitter as we will see in this series, so look for Clemson to avoid him whenever possible. Letting Bouchie beat you would be stupid. But, if anything, Clemson has the pitching staff to beat him. Few rotations have been as productive as Faris, Berken and Cribb, and the bullpen can handle any pressure situation.

The Clemson offense is also dangerous, led by surprise first round pick Tyler Colvin. While most scouts may have thought of Colvin as a second- or third-rounder, he's a great college threat with power and fantastic baserunning instincts. The whole Clemson team is well coached on the basepaths, stealing about 1.5 bags per game at a better-than-80% clip. Clemson cruises.

Pick: Clemson.
College of Charleston at Georgia Tech

My prediction, not-so-bold, is that sophomore Matt Wieters will have the largest role in this series. Wieters is a fantastic player, a potential top ten pick next June, that doubles as a catcher (1.072 OPS) and reliever (2.67 ERA). But while we knew his bat and arm would both have influences, its his arm behind the plate that may define his series. If College of Charleston does anything well, it's swipe bases, going 124-for-158 on the bases this season.

While Tech's offense offers power, with five guys in double figures, Charleston will play small ball, offering the better team average and five double-digit SB runners. If the series comes down to pitching, Charleston has the advantage, especially with Nick Chigges (11-1, 1.32) on board. The club may not have faced the best talent this season, but Charleston is ready to make their move to Omaha.

Pick: College of Charleston.
Missouri at Cal State Fullerton

My predictions didn't go great last week, but if I take anything from the article, it's the Missouri-to-win prediction. The club was obviously the best fourth seed in the tournament, and they overcame a loss in Max Scherzer's start to win the regional. Kudos to coach Tim Jamieson, back-to-back complete games, and Nate Culp, the junior southpaw that pitched on Saturday and Monday. The Tigers have the arms, but perhaps not the bats, to move on.

However, Fullerton will take their arms against anyone. Cal State had just one guy over 6 home runs on the season, and a team slugging percentage of just .445. But their pitching staff has a 2.62 ERA, thanks to just 119 walks in 532 innings. Friday starter Wes Roemer was responsible for just 6 of those in 133.2 innings, and gives the Titans a decent chance to beat Scherzer.

I'd like to pick Missouri as my continued sleeper, and I'm not a huge CSUF believer, but the top seed gets it done here.

Pick: Cal State Fullerton.
North Carolina at Alabama

We end with the weekend's most exciting regional. While the Tide would be favorites in Vegas, the super regional host, it sure doesn't seem like that coming into the weekend. All people can talk about are the arms in North Carolina, and they do have them, led by (obviously) Andrew Miller and Daniel Bard. In the bullpen, watch out for Jonathan Hovis and Andrew Carignan. Quite a group.

Alabama has some good arms themselves, but the problem is, they have less experience. Tommy Hunter has first round upside, but his start should come against Bard, the more experienced pitcher. However, 'Bama gets more consistent hitting, as UNC's powerful showing in their regional was not indicative of the season they had with the bat.

Alabama was my pick to win it all a week ago, and while I had first-hand good impressions of North Carolina last week, things won't change yet.

Pick: Alabama.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 10:46 PM
yeah, seems like UNC team is well set for this type of format.

Pulling for Rice, Cal State Fullerton, Oregon State, and Ole Miss. Not sure I have a "favorite" in the others. I'd like to see a College of Charleston or Oral Roberts make it, but I doubt they will. Especially after losing today.

11-5 was the final of the UNC vs Bama game.

Missouri is up 1-0 against Cal State Fullerton heading to the 3rd.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 11:10 PM
How are Turner and Dorn looking so far? My computer was down some.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 11:19 PM
0-1 so far, but I missed their BAs. Turner's coming up next in Bot 4th.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks Sandy. I hope they start hitting. How are they looking in the field?

SandyD
06-09-2006, 11:23 PM
In that AB, he took a ball, fouled one off, took a ball, drilled one over the wall in left but foul, than flied out to right.

Scherzer pitching for Mizzou, btw.

Fullerton hitless thru 4.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks. Sandy are we the only Two trying to follow the Super Regionals tonight?:)

SandyD
06-09-2006, 11:32 PM
maybe. And I'm going to have to bail soon. Don't think I'll make it through this one.

Waiting for the first Titan hit, though. Maybe it'll be Dorn. :)

Nice tag by Turner on an attempted steal.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Hopefully Dorn comes through.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 11:38 PM
he did it! Base hit up the middle ... first pitch swinging, I believe.

LOL next guy bunted into a double play. Scherzer fielded the ball and made a nice throw to second to get Dorn.

It was a perfect game before Dorn's hit, I believe.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Roemer's pitching pretty well for Fullerton, tho he's been hit some. Only allowed one run through 6. Struck out 4 straight.

Heading into Bot 6, 1-0 Missou. 7,8,9 Hitters up. Then Turner.

Turner was a batboy at Fullerton for 3 years when he was a kid.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Let's hope now that Turner gets up and gets a hit.

SandyD
06-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Turner up with runner at 2nd and two outs.

Fouled back first pitch.

Ball one.

WooHoo! Turner with a double down the right field line, bring the runner home.

Fastball low and away.

1-1 now.

Gallen5862
06-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Turner comes through with a rbi double to tie the game.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 12:00 AM
he's stranded as the next guy strikes out.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Turner was the 4 in a 6-4-3 DP to end top 7th.

Dorn up with none on and one out in bot 7th

Ball
Swinging strike
Swinging strike
Ball
Blooped into short left field! Another base hit! for Dorn.

And he scores from first on a double off the wall by Cooper.

CSF up 2-1 now.

Approaching 100 pitches for Scherzer.

reds44
06-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Reds pick Dorn with a single for Fulerton.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Dorn scores to give Cal State Fullerton the lead.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Turner is 1 for 3 with an RBI
Dorn is 2-3 with a run scored.

It's 4-1 now, still only 1 out and 2 on.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Turner is due up, with runners on 2b and 3b, two out.

Pitching change.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Turner -- double towards left field corner. Drove in two.

Comes up lame though. Holding his calf.

Looks like he pulled something or got a cramp after a few steps. He's staying in, though.

Advanced to 3b on WP.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Dorn with "productive GO" moving runner from second to third. Runner later scored on WP.7-1 CSF heading to the 9th.

And that's it. CSF wins 7-1. Both Reds draftees were 2 for 4. No walks issued in the entire game.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks Sandy for the updates. It's encouraging that both our picks did well.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Broadcasters were saying Turner was a real leader on the CSF squad.

So Carolina is up 7-0 over UGa in the top of the second. SoCar has hit 4 HRs already.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 11:50 AM
9-0 SoCar over UGa now. 6 HRs by the Gamecocks. First pitch swining.

Bulldogs batting in bottom of 2nd. I think they announcers said that SoCar went up 9-0 on a UGa in a game earlier in the season, and the Bulldogs came back to win 16-10 or something like that.

I don't think these teams have the pitching

UGa batting in the bot 2nd have the bases loaded with one out.

LATER today:

1pm EDT: Clemson vs Oral Roberts, Georgia Tech vs College of Charleston

7pm EDT: Alabama vs UNC, Oklahoma vs Rice, Ole Miss vs Miami

10pm EDT: Stanford vs Oregon State, Cal State Fullerton vs Missouri

Reds Draft picks:

You can watch the Reds draft picks at the following times:
Eddy Rodriguez (Miami) 7pm
Justin Turner and Danny Dorn (CSF) 10pm

Ga Tech/College of Charleston has started. CBS Sportsline has Clemson/Oral Roberts at 4pm. So, I'm not sure about the times.

12-1 So Car over UGa now Bot 5th.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 01:58 PM
South Carolina beat Georgia 15-6.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Ga Tech is leading College of Charleston 3-2 in the middle innings. If their lead holds up, Ga Tech will be the first team to reach the CWS this year.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for update sandy. I can't get ESPNU. What channel will the Miami game come on?

NewEraReds
06-10-2006, 03:21 PM
gotta say i really liked what i saw in turner last night. seems like the team focused on good character, good def, do the little things type guys instead of HIGH ceiling types. from the little i have seen of our picks and the writeups on them

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Ga Tech beat College of Charleston 12-3 to become the first team to reach the CWS this year.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Clemson wins 6-5 to advance to the CWS.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Alabama is beating UNC 2-0 in top of second.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 08:49 PM
gotta say i really liked what i saw in turner last night. seems like the team focused on good character, good def, do the little things type guys instead of HIGH ceiling types. from the little i have seen of our picks and the writeups on them

I'm guessing that the organization wanted a shift in focus, and wanted to get "a lot" of their own guys in the organization. In a weak draft, when the organization is so weak to begin with, why not take guys to fill the organization with your kind of guys, and bring in the higher ceiling guys through other routes ... trades or free agency ... and maybe next year's draft.

Sorry, Gallen, I went to lie down for a few minutes, and fell asleep for several hours.

Miami is up 9-3 over Ole Miss. Bama is up 3-2 over UNC. Not sure about Rice vs Okla. I've got UNC vs Bama on ESPN2, but no ESPNU.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 09:11 PM
miami and ole miss tied 9-9 in the fifth.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks Sandy for the updates.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Rice up 8-4 over Okla; Ole Miss now up 11-9 (7th I think), and Bama leads UNC 4-2 in the 7th.

Bard started for UNC but didn't last 3 innings.

You're welcome. BTW, CBS Sportsline has gametracker for all the games.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 09:45 PM
How did our 20th round pick Eddy Rodriguez (Miami) play today?

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 09:55 PM
UNC takes 5-4 lead on a 3 run Homerun in bottom of 8th. No outs so far.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 09:58 PM
according to Gametracker, he's 1 for 3. Saw a "highlight" where he popped up with the bases loaded for one of his outs. All I've got is the UNC/Bama game on ESPN2.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 10:03 PM
UNC has a chance to join Clemson and Georgia Tech from the ACC to get to the CWS.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 10:05 PM
CBSSportsline has video of these games. Interesting. Not good quality, but I've got Miami vs Ole Miss on streaming video. It's an ESPN2 broadcast, but I've got Bama vs UNC.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 10:07 PM
UNC has a 6-4 lead going to top of the 9th. They are 3 outs from Omaha.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Alabama hits a 3 run Homerun to take the lead 7-6 with 2 outs in the top of 9th now.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 10:22 PM
bama just took the lead in the top of the 9th 7-6. Still batting.

Rice wins 10-4, Ole Miss wins 11-9.

Eddy Rodriguez was 1 for 4 with a sac and a run scored. In the 9th, he struck out on three pitches.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 10:32 PM
UNC wins 8-6 to advance to Omaha on a 2 run walkoff homerun.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 10:33 PM
UNC wins on a bot 9th 2-run HR

Cal State Fullerton scored 3 in the top of the first.

Reds draftees:
Leading off, Turner reached on a scoring error and scored.
Dorn had a double driving in two, and he scored the third run.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the update on our draftees Sandy. That UNC game was exciting. Three ACC teams in CWS so far.

captainmorgan07
06-10-2006, 10:39 PM
that was a heck of a game unc 47-0 when leading after 8 innings

SandyD
06-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Stanford went up 2-1 over Oregon State in the third(game 1)

CSF still leads Missouri 3-0 in the second.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 11:00 PM
In the top of the 3rd, Turner singled, went to 2nd on a sac, stole third, and seemed to score on a sac fly, but on appeal, the ump ruled he left early, so the run was taken off the board.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 11:11 PM
That was a tough call on Turner. It was hard to tell if he left early or not.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Oregon State takes the lead 3-2 on a walk with bases loaded. Bases still loaded, one out. Still batting.

CSF still leads 3-0. Dorn grounded out in the 4th. CSF still batting.

I'm going to bed. Kind of tired tonight. Good night.

SandyD
06-10-2006, 11:14 PM
That was a tough call on Turner. It was hard to tell if he left early or not.

I couldn't tell. He took it well, though. He was shaking his head and smiling while the infield was warming up between innings.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Turner was hit in the leg by the pitch in the 5th inning.

Gallen5862
06-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Turner steals third and scores. Dorn Strikes out. CSF leads 5-0 going to bottom of the 5th.

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Lauren Gagnier of Cal State Fullerton has a no-hitter thru 7 innings...game is on ESPN2.

OnBaseMachine
06-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Solo HR ends the no-no bid with 2 outs in the 8th.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Where we stand:

Four teams have advanced to the College World Series:

Clemson (#1 overall seed), UNC, Cal State Fullerton (#5 overall seed) and Georgia Tech (#8 overall seed).

I believe that all of these teams will be in the same bracket, so one of these teams will reach the CWS championship series. I'm guessing the first round matchups will be Clemson vs Ga Tech and UNC vs Cal State Fullerton.

It'll be interesting to see how Reds draftees do against Andrew Miller, if that's the case.

Today's games (Times EDT):

#2 Rice vs Okla 1pm
#7 UGa vs So Car 4pm
Ole Miss vs Miami 7pm
Oregon State vs Stanford 10pm

Bolded teams are 1-0 in the super regional. If necessary, any deciding games will be played tomorrow.

How the Reds Draftees have fared:

Justin Turner, 2b, bats lead off for CSF
3 hits for 8 ABs, 2 runs scored, 1 sb
reached base 5 of 9 plate appearances, including one reached on error, and another HBP.

Danny Dorn, of, bats clean up for CSF
4 for 9, 2 doubles, 3 runs scored.

Turner and Dorn are done until the CWS which starts next weekend.

Eddy Rodriguez, c, 1 for 4, 1 run scored, sac.

Rodriguez plays for Miami. game time 7pm against Ole Miss.

Gallen5862
06-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the updated information Sandy. The Super Regionals have had alot of exciting ballgames. I am also glad to see at least 2 of our 3 draft picks have advanced so far to the CWS.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm kind of pulling for Ole Miss to reach the CWS, so I kind of hope the third can start talking to the Reds next week. ;)

I enjoyed watching Cal State Fullerton play.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 01:58 PM
After 3 innings, Rice 2 Okla 1.

Both of Rice's runs were scored on HRs

Pitching for Rice, So , rhp, Bobby Bell
Pitching for Okla, Sr, rhp, McCutcheon, drafted by Yankees rd 13

SandyD
06-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Okla took the lead in the bot 4th 6-5. That's where it stands, thru 5.

McCutchen still pitching for the Sooners. Bell has been replaced by Bramhall for Rice.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Okla 11 Rice 5 in the bot 8th. Okla still batting. McCutchen still in for Okla, and has retired the last 13 Owls in a row.

Rice has the 3rd ranked pitching staff in the NCAA.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Game over: Okla beats Rice 11-5 forcing a third and deciding game tomorrow.

Next up:

UGa vs U SoCar.
Brooks Brown pitcing for UGa
Mike Sisco pitcing for SoCar.

Gallen5862
06-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for updates sandy. Trying to watch Reds while keeping up with Nascar And Super regionals.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 04:18 PM
I have a TV in my office. So, I had the Reds game on TV, and Game tracker on my computer. So I could keep track.

Not much into NASCAR. Too noisy for me.

1-0 So Car bot 1st still batting.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 05:43 PM
7-4 Bulldogs, with So Car coming to bat in the bottom of the 5th.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 06:13 PM
7-5 Bulldogs after 6 innings

icehole3
06-11-2006, 06:14 PM
The two kids from CSF are hard-nosed play it by the book type players. Stubbs is stud as well. I love the college players we've drafted theyre leaders.

Gallen5862
06-11-2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/features/print261684.html
Super-Regional Recaps: Day Two
By Will Kimmey
June 10, 2006

Pick a storyline. Saturday's super-regional games featured them all. South Carolina hit five consecutive home runs to tie an NCAA record. Cal State Fullerton's Lauren Gagnier threw 7 2/3 no-hit innings.

North Carolina and Alabama played a game that featured score- and momentum-changing home runs in each of the last three half-innings. Mississippi battled back from a six-run deficit to win. Clemson staged another late-inning comeback.

Oh, and there were dog piles. Four of them.

When the excitment settled down, Cal State Fullerton, Clemson, Georgia Tech and North Carolina all finished off sweeps in their best-of-3 series to advance to the College World Series. Rice, South Carolina, Mississippi and Oregon State won the first game of their series and can punch their CWS tickets with one more win Sunday.

Cal State Fullerton 9, Missouri 1
Righthander Lauren Gagnier held Missouri without a hit until their were two outs in the eighth inning as Cal State Fullerton won 9-1 at Godwin Field to advance to the CWS.

The win gave Cal State Fullerton its 14th trip to the College World Series, the Titans fifth trip in the last eight years, and also was coach George Horton 450th career victory.

Senior Danny Dorn was 2-for-5 with four RBIs to lead the Titans.

Catcher J.C. Field, a .234 hitter, broke up Gagnier's no-hitter with a home run. At one point, Gagnier retired 11 straight hitters. He left after eight innings, having allowed only two hits and one run while striking out nine.

Cal State Fullerton will face North Carolina in their first game at the College World Series.

Oregon State 4, Stanford 3
Mitch Canham's RBI double in the seventh inning helped Oregon State beat Stanford for the fourth time this season, this time by a 4-3 score at Coleman Field in the first game of a super-regional.

Dallas Buck allowed three runs in eight innings to pick up the win. The Beavers ace alllowed two runs in the third on Jim Rapoport's home run, but he settled down, scattering eight hits while striking out six.

While Buck was good, Stanford ace Greg Reynolds matched him nearly step for step. Reynolds allowed four runs in seven innings, but two of them were unearned. Stanford made three errors, while Oregon State did not committ an error, and allowed three or less runs for the ninth straight game.

"That’s what got us here – pitching and defense,” Beavers coach Pat Casey said. “We’ve lived with that all season and expect it. We just play really solid defense in the infield. And here again, when you have Dallas on the mound, you are going to have to defend.”

The two teams will face off again today at 10 p.m. in the second game of the best-of-three series.

"The first game is huge, obviously,” said OSU outfielder Cole Gillespie, who went 2-for-3 to set the school record for total bases in a season with 144. “You don’t want to dig yourself into a hole. Winning this game, we have a lot of confidence going into Sunday.”

North Carolina 8, Alabama 7
First baseman Chad Flack hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the eighth inning and a two-run blast in the bottom of the ninth as North Carolina staged two comebacks to beat Alabama 8-7 at Sewell-Thomas Stadium and advance to its first College World Series since 1989.

Flack's second homer came against Alabama closer David Robertson with two outs in the ninth inning. The Crimson Tide had just gotten a three-run homer from freshman Alex Avila off UNC closer Andrew Carignan in the top of the inning to go ahead 7-6.

"I turned to Coach (Scott) Forbes right before my at bat and told him that we weren't losing this game," Flack said. "We knew, even after (Alabama) hit the home run, that we weren't going to lose and that we were going to battle until the end.

"I was just thinking about making good contact, getting a hit and keeping the inning going. I ended up getting a better piece of the ball than I thought I would."

Alabama trailed 6-4 entering the ninth because of Flack's three-run homer in the bottom of the eighth, which gave UNC a 5-4 lead and chased Tide starter Tommy Hunter from the game. The Tar Heels tacked on another run before the end of the eighth.

Before the home run to Flack, Hunter had baffled the Tar Heels, while North Carolina starter Daniel Bard was quickly chased from the game. Bard allowed three hits and two runs in two and two-third innings. It could have been even worse for Bard, as the Crimson Tide ran themselves out of big innings as two runners were gunned out at the plate on ground balls in the infield.

Mississippi 11, Miami 9
Mississippi scored the biggest come-from-behind win of its season by rallying from a six-run deficit to beat Miami 11-9 at Swayze Field in the first game of a super-regional.

The Rebels trailed 9-3 before scoring six times with two outs in the bottom of the fifth inning, a rally capped by a three-run home run by Mark Wright.

Mississippi took the lead for good in the sixth behind RBI singles from Zack Cozart and Alex Presley. Wright, Cozart and C.J. Ketchum all drove in three runs for Mississippi, which drew 9,202 fans. Miami first baseman Yonder Alonso homered and drove in three runs for the Hurricanes.

Miami had jumped out to an early lead behind Yonder Alonso's three-run home run and Blake Tekotte's RBI triple.

Rice 10, Oklahoma 4
Four Rice players homered, and righthander Eddie Degerman struck out eight Oklahoma batters in a 10-4 win at Reckling Park. The win was Rice's 14th straight.

Shortstop Brian Friday hit a three-run homer in the first inning, and third baseman Josh Rodriguez followed that with a solo shot as Rice grabbed a quick 4-0 lead. Aaron Luna and Danny Lehman homered in the seventh inning as Rice reached double figures in the scoring column.

Degerman won his 13th game of the year by going 6 2/3 innings. His 158th strikeout of the season set a Conference USA record.

Clemson 6, Oral Roberts 5
Shortstop Stan Widmann's two-out, two-run single in the top of the eighth inning gave Clemson a 6-5 win against Oral Roberts at Doug Kingsmore Stadium and sent the Tigers to their first CWS appearance since 2002.

"I wanted to protect; I didn't want to strike out looking. He just gave me a pitch over the plate that I could handle. I just put a good swing on it and somehow it got through," Widmann said. "They had me guessing the whole weekend. When I was thinking slider, they were throwing fastballs. When I was thinking fastball, they were sliders. I was thinking pretty much 'see the ball, hit the ball' at the point. It looked like the shortstop was going to catch it, but somehow it was out of reach.”

It marked the second straight game Clemson battled back from an early deficit to beat Oral Roberts. Tyler Colvin ended the first game of the series with a ninth-inning grand slam.

Taylor Harbin, who homered earlier in the game, drew Clemson to within a run with an RBI single in the eighth inning. Oral Roberts walked slugger Andy D'Alessio to load the bases for Widmann's heroics.

Georgia Tech 12, College of Charleston 3
Third baseman Whit Robbins and left fielder Jeff Kindel both homered as Georgia Tech beat College of Charleston 12-3 at Russ Chandler Stadium to advance to the third College World Series in school history. Robbins drove in a game-high three runs on three hits, while Kindel, center fielder Steven Blackwood and DH Wes Hodges all drove home three runs for the Yellow Jackets.

Lefthander Lee Hyde recorded eight strikeouts over eight innings while allowing three runs--two earned. Charleston scored single runs in the first and second innings, holding 1-0 and 2-1 leads, before Georgia Tech's bats got started. Robbins hit a two-run homer in the fourth inning, and Kindel's two-run homer started a five-run fifth to help put the game away.

South Carolina 15, Georgia 6
South Carolina hit eight home runs, including five in a row in the second inning, to crush Georgia 15-6 at Foley Field. Outfielders Andrew Crisp and Robbie Grinestaff each hit two home runs and drove in four runs for the Gamecocks, who scored six runs on five home runs in the second inning.

Neil Giesler, Justin Smoak, Phil Disher, Crisp and Grinestaff all homered consecutively to tie an NCAA Division I record set by Eastern Illinois in 1998. Right fielder James Darnell also homered in the game for South Carolina, which fell one home run shy of matching a school record.

"I don't think I have ever seen anything like that," South Carolina coach Ray Tanner said. "I didn't even know we had hit five in a row until after the game. I knew we had hit a few homers but I guess you get lost in the game a little bit."

Lefthander Harris Honeycutt lasted 81/3 innings for South Carolina, allowing six runs on 10 hits to earn the win. Lefty Mickey Westphal gave up seven runs in 1 2/3 innings for Georgia, including the first three of the five straight homers. The final two came on consecutive pitches by reliever Stephen Dodson.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Kind of funny, the first four super regionals to start were sweeps. Of the last four, it looks like at least three will go three.

Miami is beating Ole Miss 6-0 in the 8th. The Rebels have three more outs. If the score holds, they play tomorrow.

Oklahoma beat Rice 11-5, forcing game 3
Georgia beat So Car 11-5, forcing a game 3.

Oregon State vs Stanford is later.

Gallen5862
06-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks for update Sandy. I saw Rodriguez scored a run. How did our draftee look?

SandyD
06-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Rodriguez scored two runs. He had a bloop single, and then drew a walk while trying to sacrifice. Funny at bat. Didn't try to hide the fact that he was trying to bunt, but pulled back and took three straight balls, then a called strike, the ball four. Squaring to bunt before each pitch was delivered.

Final score 7-0 Miami.

Oregon State is batting in the top of the first. Last game today.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Just a note: The real hero of the Ole Miss vs Miami game was Jemile Weeks, Ricky Weeks brother who is a freshman at Miami. He was 3 for 4, with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs.

Announcers said that Ricky Weeks talked his brother into going to college rather than signing with whoever drafted him last year ... 7th round? or so, I think.

Oregon State is up 4-0 in the Mid-1st. Stanford had their closer warming up in the pen.

Gallen5862
06-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks Sandy you are doing a great job with the updates and the reports.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks, you are too. Well, I'm about to give it up for tonight. I'm working a full day tomorrow for the first time in almost 3 weeks. I need to get a good night sleep tonight.

Gallen5862
06-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Have a good night Sandy. Get some rest.

Gallen5862
06-11-2006, 11:18 PM
OSU is winning 9-0 over Stanford in the top of the 4th no outs.

SandyD
06-11-2006, 11:25 PM
10-0 now. Thanks, Gallen. Keep it up while you can. :D

Gallen5862
06-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I will Sandy:) It's still 10-0 OSU with 1 out 2 one in the top of the 4th.

Gallen5862
06-12-2006, 12:08 AM
OSU is winning 12-0 in the bottom of the six. There are 2 outs and a runner on second.

SandyD
06-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Final: Oregon State 15 Stanford 0.

Oregon State advances to the CWS, and will be the only team from last year's CWS in Omaha

Gallen5862
06-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Oklahoma is beating Rice 3-2 going to the bottom of the 4th. Rice is the number 2 national seed.

Gallen5862
06-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Rice just tied the game with a homerun.

Gallen5862
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Oklahoma just hit a homerun with 1 out in the top of the 5th to take a 4-3 lead. There is a runner at first. He just got picked off first. Two outs.

Gallen5862
06-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Oklahoma is still winning 4-3 with one out in the bottom of the 5th. Rice has a runner who moved to second on a wild pitch.

dabvu2498
06-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Rice up 8-5 in the top of the 7th.

Doc. Scott
06-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Part of the reason why OSU is good is because it's the only Division I baseball program in the state. The University of Oregon doesn't even have a baseball team, so any of the local talent that wants to stay in-state goes to OSU.

SandyD
06-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Back in the 80s, the Pac-10 was known as the 6-Pac, because only ASU, UA, UCLA, USC, Cal, and "that darned Stanford" played. Or at least in the conference. I think college baseball is becoming more popular, more able to pay for itself and even make money for some schools. And if you can build a successful program, you get all the attention of the postseason.

Wow, Georgia "chose" to be the visiting team today ... supposedly so they could use their own dugout.

SandyD
06-12-2006, 09:48 PM
UGa is up on So Car 11-4 with the Gamecocks batting in the bot 8th.

Ole Miss and Miami are tied at 8 in the 7th. Rodriguez is 0-3 with a sac.

SandyD
06-12-2006, 10:17 PM
UGa is up 11-6, Gamecocks batting in bot 9th.

Miami up 13-8, Miami batting bot 8th.

Rodriguez went 0 for 3 with a sac and a walk.

Oh, and I'm going to bed. :)

Gallen5862
06-12-2006, 10:26 PM
UGA advances to the WCS. Miami is winning 14-8 in the top of the 9th.

Gallen5862
06-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Miami won to advance to the CWS. Three of the Reds draft pics will be playing.

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 04:30 PM
OMAHA -- The game times and pairings for the first two days of the Men's College World Series have been announced. The 60th MCWS will be played at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha from June 16-25/26.

The double-elimination tournament features the winners of the eight super regionals, and includes seven teams that did not make it to Omaha last year. It is the second time since 1991 that as many as seven schools were not part of the field the previous year.

The first game on Friday is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. CST and features No. 8 seed Georgia Tech (50-16) and Atlantic Coast Conference rival No. 1 seed Clemson (52-14). Friday's second game at 6 p.m. pits North Carolina (50-13) and No. 5 seed Cal St. Fullerton (48-13). The doubleheader on Saturday features No. 7 Georgia (47-21) squaring off against No. 2 Rice (55-11) at 1 p.m., and Miami (Fla.) (41-22) is taking on the lone 2005 MCWS participant Oregon St. (44-14) at 6 p.m.

The losers of Friday's two games will play one another at 1 p.m. on Sunday, while Friday's winners face off at 6 p.m. Sunday. The losers of Saturday's games will play each other at 1 p.m. on Monday, while Saturday's winners meet Monday at 6 p.m.

The winners of the two brackets will play a best-of-three championship series, with the first game set for 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 24. The second game is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Sunday, June 25, while the third and deciding game (if necessary) is slated for 6 p.m. on Monday, June 26. Every Men's College World Series game will be televised live by ESPN or ESPN2, and all are available in high definition.

http://www.ncaasports.com/baseball/mens/story/9494671

SandyD
06-15-2006, 08:11 AM
today's activities in Omaha (http://cwsomaha.com/html/playball/opening.asp)

The games begin tomorrow, but the activities begin today.

A trip to the College World Series is on my "someday" list.

dabvu2498
06-15-2006, 08:18 AM
A trip to the College World Series is on my "someday" list.
Best roady ever. I was last there when Texas won it in 2002 over USC (that's South Carolina) and also in 96-97 for LSU. There are some logistical problems with the way things are run but for the most part, it's 100% joy.

Gallen5862
06-15-2006, 03:59 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/features/print261705.html
2006 College Player Of The Year

Miller piles up stats while pitching Heels to Omaha

By Will Kimmey
June 13, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See also: 2006 College All-American Teams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Miller's 13-2, 2.11 season stands as a key reason for North Carolina's first College World Series berth since 1989. But the junior lefthander would rather be known as one of many Tar Heels piled atop one another after Chad Flack's game-ending home run to clinch a super-regional series win at Alabama.

"I think he kind of feels uncomfortable talking about himself," North Carolina coach Mike Fox said of his junior lefthander. "You know how kids can be, they don't want people to think they think they're better than anybody. His parents said he's always been like that. Even in high school he didn't really want the attention. He's a big kid at heart and a great teammate."

But Miller, all 6 feet and 6 inches of him, can't hide from the attention now. His dominant junior season, in which he posted a 119-36 strikeout-walk ratio and allowed seven extra-base hits (and only one home run) in 111 innings, not only helped him meet a personal goal of reaching Omaha, but also earned him Baseball America's College Player of the Year award.

"I appreciate all the awards and the accolades, but the biggest memory for me is going to be we went to Omaha and what we accomplished there," Miller said. "I certainly wouldn't want to have a good year on a team that's not as good. I've never really been a part of a team like this."

First Lefty

Miller becomes the sixth pitcher to win the award in the last 25 years and the first lefthander to ever claim the award. The honor--and humility--came in the middle of perhaps the best week in Miller's life. The Tigers drafted him sixth overall on a Tuesday, and three days later he struck out 11 Alabama batters over seven innings without allowing an earned run to put his team just one game from Omaha. He used his mid-90s four-seam fastball, 88-90 mph two-seamer and power slider to dominate the Crimson Tide, recording three strikeouts against leadoff man Emeel Salem.

"There's a reason he's the sixth pick in the draft. He's a great pitcher. And it's really hard to solve a guy like that," said Salem, who hit .356 and was the only consensus selection on the all-Southeastern Conference first team.

"He has three pitches and even movement on a 97 mile an hour fastball. We didn't capitalize when we had chances but he didn't make enough mistakes for us to get anything going."

Good luck blending in after a game like that. Even Alabama fans were asking for Miller's autograph the next day. After honoring those requests, Miller settled into the North Carolina bullpen. Mr. All-American (the only player on both BA's preseason and postseason first-teams) was down there holding a walkie-talkie, serving as the team's communicator by relaying the coaches' wishes from the dugout as to which relievers should warm up.

That perch gave Miller a great viewpoint to watch Flack's heroics. "The great performance in the most exciting baseball game I've ever seen," Miller said of the sophomore first baseman giving UNC a 5-4 lead with a three-run homer in the eighth inning and then turning a 7-6 deficit into an 8-7 win with a two-out, two-run walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth to clinch the super-regional.

"I just ran in from the bullpen as fast as I could," Miller said. "I basically was right with Chad rounding third base. It was a unique feeling I don't think I've ever had.

"That's been our goal all year to get to Omaha. A lot of people started to think that Carolina is a team that never really makes it--a pretty talented team that falls apart at the end of the year. We're finally going to Omaha and I can't wait."

Fox, who was coaching third base, said he'll never forget the look on Miller's face as he sprinted past, walkie-talkie still in hand, to join Flack and the rest of the team in a giant celebratory mass. It was all arms, legs, hats and cleats. Nearly impossible to discern any particular player. Just all Tar Heels. Just the way Miller likes it.

dabvu2498
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes sir! Not bad for a 19 year old in the SEC.

3B, Pedro Alvarez, Fr., Vanderbilt
The Freshman of the Year led all third basemen in home runs and accounted for more than a third of his team’s 57 long balls.

AVG OBP SLG AB R H HR RBI BB SO SB
.329 .456 .675 240 70 79 22 64 57 64 7

Vote for Pedro!
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/features/261703.html

dabvu2498
06-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Boyd Nation's CWS Preview
http://www.boydsworld.com/breadcrumbs/cws2006.html

The 2006 CWS

Publication Date: June 13, 2006

You know, it's funny, but this could be the most anticipated week of the college baseball season, but it's also the hardest week for me to write each year. I think that's because I don't do news, and you don't want deep analysis right now. There may be some interesting thoughts to pursue on whether the nature of Rosenblatt Stadium, fairly large, changes the chances of some teams based on their style of play, and I'll probably look into that over the offseason, but those would just be general trends and not absolute predictors. Last week went almost to form, with the UNC-Alabama series providing the only vague upset.

So, I'll just provide one quick historical precedent for consideration, give the odds, and then let you get on to the games.

There have been two times before this year that a conference got four teams to Omaha, and the two times were quite different. I'm curious as to whether that turns out to be predictive. In 1997, the SEC was far and away the nation's best conference. Four teams -- LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Mississippi State -- got to Omaha. All four had been seeded properly, according to the ISR's, with only MSU getting a boost by having a slightly overseeded Georgia Tech team (the ISR's had them around #14 going into the regional) sent to Starkville as the #1 seed. Most significantly, the league had taken out some tough competition on the way there -- Alabama had beaten ISR #5 Southern California, although in Tuscaloosa, and Auburn had gone to #8 Florida State and won. The results in Omaha showed that dominance, with LSU and Alabama meeting in the title game.

Fast forward to 2004, and we're looking at a much different scenario. South Carolina, Georgia, LSU, and Arkansas made the trip, but USC East and Arkansas had benefitted from RPI-based overseeding, and the toughest opponent any of them had faced was an East Carolina team that had come into the postseason at ISR #11 before bowing out at South Carolina. The results showed the difference, as Arkansas and LSU went 0-2 while South Carolina and Georgia finished tied for third.

Comments about seeding for this year's ACC teams aside, since we've kind of beaten that topic to death, the best team that any of the ACC teams this year have advanced over is Nebraska, who entered the postseason at #6, but Miami didn't actually face the Huskers. After that, it drops down to Alabama, who came in at #14. The ACC has put together a really nice postseason run -- the expected record according to the ISR's would have been 16-6 in the regionals, for example, while the actual was 17-6, with Miami's run just overcompensating for Virginia's collapse -- and it was certainly the top conference this year, but the skids were greased in front of them in the postseason, so we'll see have to watch how things play out from here to fully judge the season.

The probabilities, with the chances of reaching and winning the final series for each team:

Cal State Fullerton 42/27
Rice 41/21
Clemson 27/15
Oregon State 30/14
Georgia Tech 18/ 8
Georgia 19/ 7
North Carolina 14/ 6
Miami, Florida 10/ 3

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Clemson beat georgia Tech 8-4 in the first game of the CWS. Cal state fullerton will be playing North Carolina at 7pm on ESPN2.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 06:50 PM
These are the Reds draft pics that will be playing tonight at 7pm on EsPN2.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 07:12 PM
UNC takes a 1-0 lead on a top of the first homerun.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 07:18 PM
UNC now up 2-0 with 2 outs in top of the First.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Turner leads off the bottom of the first with the single. Turner advances to second on a missed bunt attempt.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 08:22 PM
CSF is winning 5-4 in the top of the 4th. Turner has scored a run and Dorn has a rbi and a run scored.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Dorn walks in the bottom of the 5th. The score is tied 5-5.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Turner has Two hits tonight and score is tied 5-5 in the top of the 8th inning.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 10:05 PM
The score is still tied 5-5 with 1 out in the top of the 9th.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Turner doubles with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 10:19 PM
The score is tied 5-5 going to the top of the 10th. Dorn is scheduled to lead off bottom of the 10th. Was the thread to post on the CWS moved?

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Dorn leading off the bottom of the 10th. Score still tied 5-5.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Dorn leads off with a single.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 11:08 PM
The bottom of the 11th was a crazy inning two runners reached on strikeouts. The score is still tied 5-5 going to top of 12th.

Gallen5862
06-16-2006, 11:37 PM
UNC takes the lead 6-5 with no outs bases loaded in the top of the 13th inning.

Gallen5862
06-17-2006, 12:27 AM
UNC wins 7-5.

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Eddie Degerman of Rice currently has a no-hitter thru 6 innings vs Georgia. Rice leads the game 1-0.

Gallen5862
06-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks OBM. UGA now winning 4-2 in the top of the 7th.

Gallen5862
06-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Rice beat Georgia 6-4.

dabvu2498
06-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Miami up 7-0 on the Beavers... lightning delay in the 8th.

dabvu2498
06-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Miami 11 -- Beavers 0. Whoever drafted Dallas Buck has some work to do.

Gallen5862
06-17-2006, 11:05 PM
How did our draft pick Rodriguez do tonight?

dabvu2498
06-17-2006, 11:10 PM
2-3 1 RS... he hits #8 for them. Appears to be a defense-first catcher... am I correct?

Gallen5862
06-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Miami beat Oregon State 11-1.

Gallen5862
06-17-2006, 11:37 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/hurricanes/sfl-umbase09jun09,0,1472049.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines-hurricane
Living American dream: 'Canes' Rodriguez, family almost died while fleeing Cuba
By Omar Kelly
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

June 9, 2006

The first time Ylya Rodriguez saw her son wearing a University of Miami jersey tears welled in her eyes.

Playing for the Hurricanes might have been Eddy Rodriguez's childhood dream, but seeing him attend any university, pursuing whatever dream, in a country where he could become something more than a farmer or fisherman, was her dream.

That's why Ylya and her former husband, Edilio Rodriguez, risked their lives and the lives of their two children to escape communist Cuba on Aug. 29, 1993, spending four days at sea on a makeshift boat -- battling starvation and the elements -- all for the American dream.

It was that dream that gave Ylya and Edilio the commitment to plan the trip for five years, the bravery to fight off sharks, and provided the family the faith to pray its way through a terrible storm that nearly capsized the boat, potentially drowning all five passengers, which included Eddy's older sister, Yanisbet, and cousin, Carlos.

"The third day was the worst. There was a storm that made the sea turn black. There was a moment it appeared as if the sun was joined with the sky," said a choked-up Ylya. "I still can't talk about it. ... It's one thing to be on a cruise, but when you're in the middle of the ocean and you're thinking I'm going to lose myself here in front of my children. ... Thank God the storm opened up. That was a very hard moment for me."

The entire experience still haunts Eddy. He was 8 but said he can recall "every single detail" of the journey.

To this day, he's grateful for the ship that found their boat and gave the Coast Guard their coordinates to rescue them, bringing the family to Miami.

As much as Rodriguez appreciates the opportunities his parents have provided, he firmly believes he wouldn't put his own children through that experience for "anything in the world."

"We all nearly died on more than one occasion. I can't shake those memories," said Rodriguez, who will be catching Saturday for the Hurricanes, who face Mississippi in a best-of-3 Super Regional in Oxford, Miss. "To me life is the most important thing."

Maybe he takes that stance because he doesn't fully understand his future was the driving force for the dangerous trip. Upon arriving in Miami, Rodriguez fell in love not only with baseball -- the sport he played back in Cuba with a stick and a taped up rock -- but the Hurricanes.

While playing for Tamiami Park's Little League team, the Sedano Dodgers, he attended a UM game. And after getting autographs, he pledged his allegiance to the Hurricanes, telling his mother he was going to play for Miami.

Ylya's initial response was: "Eddy, you know I can't afford to send you to this university. We just came from Cuba."

Rodriguez then told his mother, "Don't worry. I'll make it happen."

It turns out he was right. He said the day he got a UM questionnaire in the mail as a high school sophomore was the happiest of his life. He landed a scholarship before graduating from nearby Coral Gables High, but his college career didn't exactly take off like he'd hoped.

He admits to coasting his first year at UM because standout Erick San Pedro was entrenched as the starting catcher. He didn't push himself and got pudgy. His coaches weren't pleased.

"Boy, did I ride him," assistant coach Gino DiMare said.

His questionable work ethic prompted UM to recruit and sign Alex Garabedian, who turned down a lot of money as seventh-round draft pick of the Yankees to attend UM in 2004. UM's coaches told Rodriguez they expected Garabedian to beat him out, and it was that challenge that drove him through a grueling offseason program.

The following semester he was selected the team's most valuable performer during fall camp because he had finally turned his weakness -- his hitting -- into a strength. His play became so steady Garabedian transferred to the College of Charleston.

"That was one of things that helped me the most, knowing someone was out to get me. I took that personally," Rodriguez said. "I got hungry and got after it."

This season, he is batting .326 with 34 RBI. He is tied for the team lead with nine home runs and is one of three finalists for the Johnny Bench Award, which is given to the nation's top college catcher.

Rodriguez, a junior, was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday in the 20th round of the amateur draft. After the tournament, he will have a tough decision: Does he return to UM for his senior season or sign a pro contract for less money than he feels he's worth?

"This is just more motivation for me," said Rodriguez, a bit disappointed by the draft. "Nothing has ever been handed to me, and I feel if it's handed to me I don't deserve it. Hopefully, whatever direction I choose I'll earn whatever I get."

No matter the decision he makes, Ylya, who works at a Publix deli and cleans houses to support her family, takes pride in knowing that her son is better off swinging a bat in the U.S. than swinging a fishing pole or some farming tool back in Cuba.

This shows some offense. Did he win the Johnny Bench Award, which is given to the nation's top college catcher? The article said he was one of three finalists. It doesn't look like it said who won the award.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Georgia Tech is beating Cal State Fullerton 5-4 with 1 out and a runner on third in the bottom of the Eighth inning.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Cal State Fullerton takes the lead 6-5 with a two out ball that was bounced off the plate for a hit. Dorn then scores on a bloop single to the outfield to make the score 7-5.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Georgia Tech comes up to bat in the bottom of the Ninth trailing 7 to 5.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Cal State Fullerton won 7-5.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 08:47 PM
UNC is beating Clemson 2-0 going to the top of the 7th.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 09:26 PM
UNC beats Clemson 2-0. Clemson will play Cal State Fullerton in a elimination game.

dabvu2498
06-18-2006, 09:55 PM
This shows some offense. Did he win the Johnny Bench Award, which is given to the nation's top college catcher? The article said he was one of three finalists. It doesn't look like it said who won the award.
It will be announced June 28.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks dabvu2498. Who else is up for the award?

dabvu2498
06-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Jeff Kunkel, University of Michigan
Eddy Rodriguez, University of Miami (FL)
Jake Smith, East Carolina University

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Hopefully Rodriguez wins it and then we sign him.

dabvu2498
06-18-2006, 10:03 PM
The Greater Witchita Area Sports Commission presents that award. Anyone know the connection? I thought JB was from OK...

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 10:11 PM
http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/gen/articles/printer_friendly/milb/y2006/m06/d18/c95138.jsp
'The Raptor' ready to join Reds
06/18/2006 8:58 PM ET
By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com

OMAHA -- Danny Dorn's teammates call him "The Raptor," jokingly describing the way the Cal State-Fullerton outfielder runs. While he may look a bit awkward as he moves, there is nothing unwieldy about the results he produces.
Dorn, whom the Reds selected in the 32nd round of last week's First-Year Player Draft, was one of nine Titans drafted earlier this month. While he was the last to go, it certainly isn't a reflection of what he's been able to accomplish on the field or what he means to the team that staved off elimination Sunday with a 7-5 victory over Georgia Tech at the College World Series.

Cal State-Fullerton advanced to Tuesday's second-round game against the loser of Sunday's Clemson-North Carolina match-up. Though his teammates kid him, it's obvious how integral his role has been in the Titans' success. He's battled back from a shoulder injury that could have cost him the year, and though he hasn't gotten the recognition that some of the other cleanup hitters who have reached Omaha have, it's certainly not from lack of talent.

Dorn, who will report to Cincinnati's Pioneer League affiliate in Billings, Mont., later this month, spent a month out of action earlier this season, sitting from mid-March to mid-April while he rehabbed a dislocated shoulder suffered while sliding into second base. Though he was hitting .317 at the time of the injury, he didn't have any homers and had only nine RBIs.

Since his return, he's hit four homers and driven in 33 runs in 27 games. He was also in the middle of two Titan rallies on Sunday, including the one that produced the decisive runs in the top of the ninth inning. So while he won't get the recognition of someone like Clemson's Tyler Colvin (first round, Cubs), he has no complaints.

"I don't care about the publicity," said Dorn, who is 3-for-8 with four walks and an RBI through two CWS games. "There are so many great players here. If guys are on base, I'm just trying to drive in runs and play the outfield the best I can. All the pub and the press doesn't matter much when you're out there playing."

Dorn's sixth-inning single started the game-tying rally in the sixth on Sunday. He came around to score on a triple by Brandon Tripp (12th round, Baltimore). Clark Hardman brought Tripp home to tie the game at 4-4.

The Yellow Jackets took a 5-4 lead in the bottom of the seventh on Matt Wieters' homer, a shot that a fan grabbed just before it would have settled in Dorn's glove atop the left field wall. Dorn said he never saw the fan.

"I'm not sure if it was fan interference," said Dorn, whose teammate, second baseman Justin Turner, was drafted in the seventh round by the Reds. "Some people say the ball was in my glove. But I hit the wall and I didn't feel anything. It happened so quickly, I didn't think anything of it. The fans were heckling me, but there's really nothing you can do about it. I came down and didn't have the ball in my glove. It was a little disappointing."

The shot seemed to put an end to the Titans' dreams of anther extended CWS run. And when Wieters, who came on to close the game for Tech, recorded the first two outs in the ninth with little trouble, it appeared as if Dorn would be headed to Billings earlier than he had hoped. But a single by Blake Davis and a double by Brett Pill brought Dorn to the plate for his biggest at-bat of the year.

"I was talking to Brett on the on-deck circle when Blake was up and told him they don't want me or you to get up," said Dorn, who lists Barry Bonds among his favorite players because Bonds is "the best there is."

"And the next pitch, Brett strokes a single."

Dorn didn't get the chance to play hero, though, because he was intentionally walked. But pinch-hitter Cory Vanderhook hit a slow chopper over the mound that took a funky bounce, allowing two runs to score and give the Titans a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

"When you're fighting for your life, you do whatever you can," Dorn said. "When I got to first, I looked at the first base coach and said I thought we could do something special."

The Titans and Dorn did just that. And though it delayed Dorn's pro debut by a few more days, he's not worried. He says joining the Reds will be the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, and if it takes a few more days for "The Raptor" to touch down in Montana, so be it.

This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

Gallen5862
06-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Oregon State eliminated Georgia 5-3 today.

SandyD
06-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Miami is batting in the bottom of the ninth trailing 3-2 with two outs and runners on first and third. Weeks is on 3rd.

John Jay struck out when the 3b umpire said he swung at a pitch. Miami coach Jim Morris was ejected for arguing. Does he gets suspended for the next game?

Valencia Ks. Game over. Rice wins.

Gallen5862
06-19-2006, 10:05 PM
That would be a tough call for the NCAA to make. I would hope if they sit him a game it would be next season. How did Rodriguez do tonight?

SandyD
06-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Rodriguez was 0 for 4. Scored a run after reaching on a fielding error.

Didn't really see him, though.

Gallen5862
06-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info Sandy.

dabvu2498
06-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Does he gets suspended for the next game?

Nope.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/cws/261714.html
A Look Ahead
Monday, June 19, 10:15 p.m.

Here's some quick info on Elimination Tuesday's games:

Clemson will serve as the home team against Cal State Fullerton in the 4 p.m. CT start. The Tigers will go with righthander Jason Berken (9-3, 2.90). He left his super-regional start with a concussion after a collision while covering first base.

Fullerton will go with righthander Lauren Gagnier (14-5, 2.52), who was the losing pitcher after working 2 2/3 innings (43 pitches) in Friday's 13-inning loss to North Carolina. Gagnier battled food poisoning Sunday, but his arm was fine. He'll seek win No. 15, which would give him sole possesion of the national lead. He and Texas Christian's Jake Arrieta are tied with 14 wins.

Miami will play as the home team in a rematch against Oregon State in the late game, which should begin near 8:30 CT. The Beavers hope for a better start from righthander Mike Stutes (7-2, 2.88) than what they got out of Dallas Buck in an 11-1 loss to Miami in their CWS opener. Miami was still debating between lefthander Manny Miguelez (8-4, 4.31) and righthander Carlos Gutierrez (9-6, 4.08), whom Miami coach Jim Morris called his secret weapon.

Gutierrez hasn't pitched since May 19, and it was originally thought he would need Tommy John surgery and miss the rest of the year. It turned out he has a less serious arm injury, and he's been throwing the last two weeks in preparation for a possible postseason start. He'll still require a medical procedure in the offseason.

--WK

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Clemson is beating Cal State Fullerton 5-3 in the bottom of the 4th. Turner and Dorn have both scored for Cal State Fullerton and Dorn has an rbi double.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Clemson is beating Cal State Fullerton 6-3 in the top of the 7th.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Dorn singles and then scores on a 2 run homerun. The score is now 6-5 Clemson with 1 out in the top of the 7th.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 08:04 PM
The score is tied 6-6 with Clemson coming to bat in the bottom of the 7th.

SandyD
06-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Go Fullerton! :D

Sorry, Clemson. ;)

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Cal State Fullerton takes the lead 7-6 with two out 2 on in the top of the 8th. Dorn had a single and is now on second base.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 08:50 PM
CSF is leading 7-6 going to the top of the 9th.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Clemson leads off the bottom of the 9th with a double.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Cal State Fullerton wins 7-6 to eliminate number one seed Clemson.

SandyD
06-20-2006, 09:17 PM
They get to face Bard tomorrow. Bard hasn't pitched yet, so he's fresh.

Gallen5862
06-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Now we need to see if Rodriguez can advance with Miami to the final four. They are getting ready to play Oregon State in a rematch.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Oregon State eliminates Miami 8-1. Rodriguez season is now over and hopefully he will sign with the Reds.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Cal State Fullerton is tied at no score with North Carolina. Bard is pitching. In the bottom of the second CSF have runners at the corners 1 out.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 05:43 PM
CSF takes the lead on a single 1-0. Runners at first and second still 1 out.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Another basehit makes it 2-0 Cal State Fullerton.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
CSF is winning 2-0 in the top of the 3rd.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 05:59 PM
The score is now CSF leading 2-1 in top of the Third. Runners on the corners with 1 out.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Carolina is now up 4-2 in the top of the Third. Their are 2 outs and runner on second.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Danny Dorn is batting with no outs runner on Second in the Bottom of the Third.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Danny Dorn walks runners on First and second no outs. They are trailing 4-2.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Carolina is now leading 4-3 going to the top of the 4th.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Turner just made his 6th error of the year in 65 games he started this year. He started every game. The error does not matter and the score is still 4-3 carolina going to the bottom of the 4th.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Turner gets a 2 out single and advances on another single.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:50 PM
UNC now up 6-3 on back to back homeruns. Their are 2 outs runner on second.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:56 PM
It's thundering here. Carolina is leading 6-3 going to the bottom of the 5th.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Danny Dorn leads off the bottom of the 5th with a single.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 07:19 PM
The score is still 6-3 Carolina with 2 outs in the top of the 6th.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 07:40 PM
The score is still 6-3 Carolina in the bottom of the 7th.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 07:53 PM
UNC leading 6-4 with 1 out and runners on the corners in the bottom of the 7th.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Dorn scores on a sac fly to cut the UNC lead to 6-5. Two outs runner on first in the bottom of the 7th.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 08:01 PM
UNC is leading 6-5 in the top of the 8th.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Dorn flies out to lead off the bottom of the 9th. Carolina is winning 6-5. Carolina left fielder robs a homerun to make it 2 outs.

Gallen5862
06-21-2006, 08:49 PM
UNC eliminates Cal State Fullerton 6-5. Now I look forward to Turner and Dorn signing and reporting to Billings.

SandyD
06-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Oregon State beat Rice last night 5-0, forcing another game to be played tonight at 7pm.

UNC, with Miller and Bard, is the logical favorite in a best of three final, over eitiher opponent, but I kind of "hope" someone else wins. It's more fun when something surprising happens. :D

SandyD
06-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Oregon State is up 1-0 over Rice after 2. Nickerson (OSU) vs Degerman (Rice)

Gallen5862
06-22-2006, 09:06 PM
This would be a huge upset if Oregon State wins this and advances from the losers bracket. It's OSU 1-0 over Rice going to the bottom of the 4th.

SandyD
06-22-2006, 09:27 PM
2-0 OSU now, going into the bottom of the 5th. Degerman is out.