PDA

View Full Version : Shocking.........Zero Respect

K-GAR
06-05-2006, 11:44 AM
for the reds, now, before i get slammed I realize we have to earn it but geez. All they talk about on ESPN is the Yanks Red Sox and White Sox Tigers as the two premiere series this week, not one mention of the reds-cards. On baseball tonight they did an entire rundown of the NL central without the reds on it, didn't mention the brewers either but i don't care about them. On Mike and Mike they talked about the two important series this week being the aforementioned

Cards - "just opened up the race"
Astros - "need to right the ship and take advantage"
Cubs - "starting to get healthy and may have a shot"
Pirates - "are the out of it yet, likely but could make a run"

I mean seriously, we are 3 games out....... a sweep puts us in first place. You'd think with us winning 4 in a row, Albert on the DL would make for more attention, guess not :rolleyes: oh well, time to put it on the cards and earn it baby.

lollipopcurve
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah, this weekend I caught a little segment they did on possible trade scenarios involving notable contenders -- Houston, several games back of the Reds, was listed. The Reds weren't. And, as usual, the Yanks and Red Sox were credited as having more needs than the other notable contenders (because, as we all know, it is of the utmost importance that all of the needs of the Yanks and the Red Sox be met immediately, guaranteeing yet another dream postseason matchup of everybody's favorite two teams).

I am not bitter, not bitter at all......

Joseph
06-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Why should the media care when the people of Cincinnati don't?

Just saying....

K-GAR
06-05-2006, 12:06 PM

Just saying....

unfortunately...........true.
:bang:

NewEraReds
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
RIGHT ON. try getting more than 30k in for a game this year. i remember a while back we were like 10 over earlier in the year and there was like 15k in the stands.

PATHETIC

plus, those other teams, excluding pitt(who they threw in to bad mouth) have proven over the years to be winners and to do what it takes to win

the Reds HAVEN'T

guttle11
06-05-2006, 12:16 PM
plus, those other teams, expluding pitt(who they threw in to bad mouth) have proven over the years to be winners and to do what it takes to win

the Reds HAVEN'T

Exactly. If the Reds are still 3 games out (or better) at the All-Star Break, then you'll hear things like "What do the Reds have to do to stay in the race?".

If they're still 3 games out (or better) come Sept 1, then you'll hear things like "How can the Reds hold off or overtake the Cardinals?".

If they make the playoffs you'll hear things like "The Reds have had a great offense for years, and now that they have the pitching, they can go a long way."

Respect is earned. Once they show the media they're not just a fluke, then they'll get tons and tons of love.

KoryMac5
06-05-2006, 12:21 PM
As far as television is concerned it is a New York, Boston, LA, Chicago kind of world. Small markets don't matter because that's not where TV makes there money. If the networks had their way every World Series, NBA championship, Super Bowl would be a New York vs. LA or New York vs. Chicago etc... That's where the ratings are so they often discuss these teams without consideration of smaller markets.

Benny-Distefano
06-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Its all about the numbers.

New York > Cincinnati

Let me illustrate:

If the Yanks are in 1st place: "Wow!! How bout those Yankess!! Today we are going to talk about how great the Yankees are."

If the Yankess are in last place: "Wow!! What is wrong with the Yankees this year? Today we are going to talk about what is wrong with the Yankess."

NOW

If the Reds are in 1st place: chirp chirp (crickets) chirp chirp (crickets)

If the Reds are in last place: chirp chirp (crickets) chirp chirp (crickets)

That's pretty much how it works.

K-GAR
06-05-2006, 12:27 PM
As far as television is concerned it is a New York, Boston, LA, Chicago kind of world. Small markets don't matter because that's not where TV makes there money. If the networks had their way every World Series, NBA championship, Super Bowl would be a New York vs. LA or New York vs. Chicago etc... That's where the ratings are so they often discuss these teams without consideration of smaller markets.

I agree with you 100%, i just wish they'd *at least* mention the reds/cards as a big series. If anything all the reasons state above seem like it would be an even more reason to talk about it.

Can the reds prove themselves this week in a key 3-game series this week against the cards is a great story, but maybe i'm just wearing my red goggles.

Johnny Footstool
06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
The thing is, the Reds have played out this scenario for the past few seasons. Contenders in May, pretenders by July.

If they are in first place at the All-Star break, you'll see a ton of media coverage.

CaiGuy
06-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Media coverage doesn't win games.

RedsManRick
06-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Even here in Chicago the White Sox got virtually no coverage until they won a World Series. It's all about fan base size and ratings.

LincolnparkRed
06-05-2006, 12:51 PM
maybe i'm just wearing my red goggles.

do those come in the same pack as beer goggles?? If so than you better watch out who you wind up with at the end of the day.:thumbup:

westofyou
06-05-2006, 12:53 PM
The thing is, the Reds have played out this scenario for the past few seasons. Contenders in May, pretenders by July.

If they are in first place at the All-Star break, you'll see a ton of media coverage.

Yep, here are the Reds records on 6-1 since 1990 and the RS-RA
XX Denotes a season with a Plus Run Differential on 6-1
+ sign indicates .500 record at the end of the season
++ = Playoffs +++ World Series

YEAR NLC W L GB WP RS RA
2006 CIN 29 24 5 .547 263 266
2005 CIN 21 32 13.5 .396 247 294
2004 CIN 31 21 - .596 247 247
2003 CIN 27 29 3.5 .482 279 348
2002 CIN 32 23 - .582 242 231 XX
2001 CIN 21 32 11.5 .396 227 268
2000 CIN 28 24 1.5 .538 255 271 XX -16 +
1999 CIN 26 22 3.0 .542 237 205 XX +32 +
1998 CIN 27 31 7.5 .466 261 282
1997 CIN 20 35 7.5 .364 202 278
1996 CIN 20 28 3.0 .417 222 273
1995 CIN 20 12 - .625 169 136 XX +33 ++
1994 CIN 29 23 - .558 277 236 XX +41 +
1993 CIN 25 27 8.5 .481 225 227
1992 CIN 26 21 - .553 193 192 XX +1 +
1991 CIN 24 23 2.5 .511 168 180
1990 CIN 31 12 - .721 205 134 XX +71 +++

edabbs44
06-05-2006, 12:59 PM

Just saying....
Great post. Maybe the media is waiting for the city to buy in before they do. And if the city doesn't buy in b/c of the summer swoons of the past few years, why should the media?

K-GAR
06-05-2006, 01:10 PM
do those come in the same pack as beer goggles?? If so than you better watch out who you wind up with at the end of the day.:thumbup:

:laugh:
I've never went to bed with an ugly woman.................but then again i have woke up with a few :(

RedFanAlways1966
06-05-2006, 01:25 PM
This is why I listen to WLW on the drive to work. I get to hear about the REDS every 20 minutes. At 6:50 am I get to hear the Frisch's Big-Boy Big Play of the Game. I hardly ever hear them mention the Yanks or the Red Sox. Hardly anything but the REDS (and Chris Henry... ugh)... and that is the way I like it.

Of course if the REDS had been swept (rather than doin' the sweepin'), I would have been listening to a CD of music this morning...

saboforthird
06-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Exactly. If the Reds are still 3 games out (or better) at the All-Star Break, then you'll hear things like "What do the Reds have to do to stay in the race?".

If they're still 3 games out (or better) come Sept 1, then you'll hear things like "How can the Reds hold off or overtake the Cardinals?".

If they make the playoffs you'll hear things like "The Reds have had a great offense for years, and now that they have the pitching, they can go a long way."

Respect is earned. Once they show the media they're not just a fluke, then they'll get tons and tons of love.

Excellent thoughts. I see that some in this thread believe the fans should have just ignored the flawed intent of prior Reds ownership, and continue to show in droves even if the team were to stink it up. For so many years, the fans in Cincinnati were basically told "buy tickets and we will build a team". It never happened. How can ANYONE blame the fans for feeling the way they do? Every year, right around the All-Star break (if not sooner) it's "here we go again...". Show the fans that you care enough to put a winning product on the field, THEN they will show up. That's how it's supposed to work.

membengal
06-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I think people yearning for ESPN to at least occasionally notice the Reds are still playing good ball are not crazy in their yearning. It wouldn't kill the ESPN folks to acknowledge Cincy's presence in the race, or the fact that they have stubbornly stayed in the race through a rough patch. The easy analysis (Reds' starting pitching blows) has been proven to be off so far this year. They are getting j u s t enough pitching that their still potent offense makes the early success perhaps sustainable. That said, there is no reason why they should not get mentioned while Houston and Chicago (and even Pittsburgh and Milwaukee) do. It was the Sunday morning Baseball Tonight broadcast with Ravech and Phillips that was so egregious (as was alluded to earlier). With Pujols out, they talked about the NL Central race and mentioned every frickin' team but the Reds. Really, it was sloppy as hell. And, it gets old.

Yes, I can get Reds talk on the 'net and XM through WLW. But it would be nice to get a little, especially in features on their division, from the ESPN types as well. That's all. And that's not too much to ask. At least occasionally.

KronoRed
06-05-2006, 02:21 PM
The Reds and Brewers have a better shot then the cubs or pirates.

minus5
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I saw that Sunday morning also. When they asked what Pujols' injury might mean for other central division teams "like the Cub and the Pirates" I laughed out loud...then I changed the channel.

Falls City Beer
06-05-2006, 02:26 PM

Yep. Losing puts you at the bottom of the deck. It's hard to get the stink off an organization.

Joseph
06-05-2006, 02:26 PM
If it makes anyone feel better, Charlie Steiner [ex of ESPN current Dodger boradcaster and XM Radio host] on his show this afternoon had Buster Olney [Yankee lover and ESPNer] on and they were discussing Pujols injury's affect on the Central race. Olney immediately jumped to this as being the big opening the Astros needed to overtake the Cards, and Mr Steiner just as immediately mentioned the Reds as the team having the best chance to use this open door.

So while the Great Sporting Power of the North East might not yet be ready to give the team any 'credit', the best baseball network [XM] is willing to recognize that they are at least in the conversation.

membengal
06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
If it makes anyone feel better, Charlie Steiner [ex of ESPN current Dodger boradcaster and XM Radio host] on his show this afternoon had Buster Olney [Yankee lover and ESPNer] on and when they were discussing Pujols injury affect on the Central race. Olney immediately jumped to this as being the big opening the Astros needed to overtake the Cards, and Mr Steiner just as immediately mentioned the Reds as the team having the best chance to use this open door.

So while the Great Sporting Power of the North East might not yet be ready to give the team any 'credit', the best baseball network [XM] is willing to recognize that they are at least in the conversation.

I'm actually pleased to hear Steiner call Olney on that. I heard Olney on Mike & Mike this morning, and he blew past the Reds again on there as well. Again, if they had not just swept the Astros in Houston, it wouldn't have annoyed quite like it did.

At any rate, did Olney acknowledge Steiner's words? Or did he pretend Steiner was speaking in a different language?

Matt700wlw
06-05-2006, 03:15 PM

Can't argue this.

Matt700wlw
06-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I saw that Sunday morning also. When they asked what Pujols' injury might mean for other central division teams "like the Cub and the Pirates" I laughed out loud...then I changed the channel.

The Cubs and the Pirates are toast. They're done.

Prior and Lee can't save the Cubs now. I think it's too late for them. The Pirates have been out since week 3

membengal
06-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Re: the above quote and thought (2 above now), I can argue it a bit. In that example cited earlier in this thread and also recounted by me later in the thread, the Pirates and Brewers were given some run in terms of chatter about their re-entry into the race. So...what exactly have they done in the last 13 years to earn "respect"?

membengal
06-05-2006, 03:18 PM
The Cubs and the Pirates are toast. They're done.

Prior and Lee can't save the Cubs now. I think it's too late for them. The Pirates have been out since week 3

yes, of course, and yet, the point is that Ravech and Phillips talked about their chances, seriously, along with those of the Astros and Brewers, when sizing up the NL Central, and yet didn't find even two seconds to mention the Reds. It is the reason for the original post on this thread.

registerthis
06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
The Pirates have been out since week 3

...of spring training, you mean.

dabvu2498
06-05-2006, 03:27 PM
If it makes anyone feel better, Charlie Steiner [ex of ESPN current Dodger boradcaster and XM Radio host] on his show this afternoon had Buster Olney [Yankee lover and ESPNer] on and they were discussing Pujols injury's affect on the Central race. Olney immediately jumped to this as being the big opening the Astros needed to overtake the Cards, and Mr Steiner just as immediately mentioned the Reds as the team having the best chance to use this open door.

Steiner is one of the best in the business. He very rarely misses anything. I wish he were a RedsZone member.

klw
06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Steiner is one of the best in the business. He very rarely misses anything. I wish he were a RedsZone member.
Plus we could then follow him, follow him to freedom!

Johnny Footstool
06-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Re: the above quote and thought (2 above now), I can argue it a bit. In that example cited earlier in this thread and also recounted by me later in the thread, the Pirates and Brewers were given some run in terms of chatter about their re-entry into the race. So...what exactly have they done in the last 13 years to earn "respect"?

They haven't done anything, but they've been so bad for so long that any kind of resurgence is exciting and semi-newsworthy. The Reds have cried "wolf" too many times -- playing well for two months then falling flat -- so people temper their expectations.

edabbs44
06-05-2006, 05:27 PM
They haven't done anything, but they've been so bad for so long that any kind of resurgence is exciting and semi-newsworthy. The Reds have cried "wolf" too many times -- playing well for two months then falling flat -- so people temper their expectations.
The only problem with that is fans shouldn't go to games only if it is September and the team is in the hunt. I can understand if it is September 28th and the team is 25 games back. But when the team is playing well, fans should be enjoying the winning atmosphere and having fun at A BASEBALL GAME. It's still entertainment and still a day at the ballpark. There isn't any rules stating that people can only go if the team is in first after the all-star game.

RedsManRick
06-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Plus we could then follow him, follow him to freedom!

One of the best moments in TV advertising...

Matt700wlw
06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
...of spring training, you mean.

I'm trying to be nice :D

Johnny Footstool
06-05-2006, 05:38 PM
The only problem with that is fans shouldn't go to games only if it is September and the team is in the hunt. I can understand if it is September 28th and the team is 25 games back. But when the team is playing well, fans should be enjoying the winning atmosphere and having fun at A BASEBALL GAME. It's still entertainment and still a day at the ballpark. There isn't any rules stating that people can only go if the team is in first after the all-star game.

I agree. I wish more people were dedicated to the Reds like you, me, and the other fans on this board.

What's funny is that if the Reds are in contention, those same fans who stayed home in May will be hogging up all the good tickets in September.

harangatang
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I watched BBTN on Saturday and #1 & #2 on the webgems were Freel's catch and Kearns' catch respectively. When the Reds do something good ESPN notices and acknowledges them when need be. Unforunately the past few years the Reds haven't been exactly great and as stated earlier in the thread they'll have a fast start then drop to near the bottom. I think most of us realize the Reds are starting to turn things around starting pitching-wise with Arroyo/Harang as out #1/#2 but ESPN and the national media sees it as if the Reds still had Paul Wilson and his plastic elbow starting off the season 9-0 and than royally (no pun intended) dropping off in a tailspin.

K-GAR
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
yes, of course, and yet, the point is that Ravech and Phillips talked about their chances, seriously, along with those of the Astros and Brewers, when sizing up the NL Central, and yet didn't find even two seconds to mention the Reds. It is the reason for the original post on this thread.

it is the reason, i just don't see how you can have a discussion about 3 things without discussing the reds (which happened):

-How does this affect the NL central race with Pujols out
-Possible trades for teams in contention (mentioning the stros without the reds is just damn dumb)
-Most important series' of the week

I"m not asking for ESPN to do segments on the reds and all of a sudden adore us in a redsox/yankee-ish way, just at least friggin acknowledge our presence in the race.

Outshined_One
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Isn't the Brewers' pitching staff an absolute mess? Capuano's been the only reliable starter while Ohka and Sheets hang out on the DL.

Redhook
06-05-2006, 06:36 PM
I'd like to continue getting no respect. I do love watching highlights on t.v. and hearing about our improvements, but flying under the radar as long as possible is good for this team. Remember what happened about a month ago when we were in first and on every ESPN, Mike and Mike, PTI, etc.? We starting playing poorly. Now, the media has forgotten about us slightly and we're playing well again. I could care less if we get respect or not. I just want to win and get the respect at the end of the season.

corkedbat
06-05-2006, 06:50 PM

If respect is earned, why were Pittsburgh and the Scrubbies mentioned?

redsfanmia
06-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Who cares? Isnt it better to fly under the radar screen? I hope the media keeps neglecting the Reds and they keep winning.

Ltlabner
06-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Why this big concern over whether ESPN gives us respect or a fair shake? Of course we want our team to get props, especially when playing well, but who gives a rip whether they notice us or not. Face it, they are going to focus on the big teams because that is where the money is. The fact that they are on the east cost only adds to things.

Everybody wants approval but to get bent out of shape over it is a waste of time. Put that energy into winning or something productive.

spaethc
06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I just try to avoid ESPN these days. It is pretty sad how bad that network has gotten, but thats when happens when you really don't have any competition. I think that all time worst ESPN moment of the new century was when they tried to crown the 05-06 USC football team as the best ever before they even played the National Championship game, I didn't like Texas but cheered for them just so ESPN would look silly.

membengal
06-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Why this big concern over whether ESPN gives us respect or a fair shake? Of course we want our team to get props, especially when playing well, but who gives a rip whether they notice us or not. Face it, they are going to focus on the big teams because that is where the money is. The fact that they are on the east cost only adds to things.

Everybody wants approval but to get bent out of shape over it is a waste of time. Put that energy into winning or something productive.

Like posting on a Reds message board?

Look, it is what it is. But there is no shame in asking that the team be mentioned when they are doing a frickin' run-down of the NL Central race post-oblique and talk about everyone but the Reds. It's just something a few of us noticed. But thanks for the lecture, I will now put my energy into "winning", altho I am not sure what I can do.

I know, I will step outside and scream "WIN DOGGONE IT" into the Memphis night air...

Ltlabner
06-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Look, it is what it is. But there is no shame in asking that the team be mentioned when they are doing a frickin' run-down of the NL Central race post-oblique and talk about everyone but the Reds. It's just something a few of us noticed. But thanks for the lecture, I will now put my energy into "winning", altho I am not sure what I can do.

Nothing wrong with wanting props for the team. I believe I mentioned that in my post. I was just commenting that to expect to get respect from a cable channel that you know is biased and will focus on the bigger teams from a revenue standpoint is a waste of time. Three pages of replys would tend to support my comment that people are concerned and worked up.

When you are outside and screaming you may want to be carefull that the police aren't around. Wouldn't want you to run afoul of the law.

KoryMac5
06-05-2006, 11:59 PM
After the big win tonight ESPN devoted some time to talking about the Reds. Joe Morgan said he believes the Reds will indeed stay in the race. It is true that respect is indeed earned through winning. I feel that if the Reds take this series from St. Louis you will see the Reds in the media a lot more especially with Prince Albert's injury.

TeamBoone
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Well, the BBT coverage was certainly anticlimatic, especially after they spent 10 minute talking about the Yankees.

They showed the Reds/Cards highlights ending with Griffey's HR and then said something like "think of all the records that won't be with Pujols on the DL".... and they panned to the next game. Not one word about the Reds.