PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should trade that Dunn guy?

UPRedsFan
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Dunn would bring more pitching in return than Griffey could on the trade market. And losing Griffey would hurt the offense more than losing Dunn right now anyway.

I know Dunn has the consistent OBP and will hit 40 homeruns every year, and he has many years of that level of performance ahead of him but... Time and again he doesn't produce in clutch game tying or game winning situations the way Griffey does. He doesn't hit strong pitching well the way Griffey can. He'll never have the rbi totals that elite power hitters produce. Let's face it. If the Reds are down 2 in the bottom of the ninth against a tough left handed closer (say Billy Wagner?) and Freel and Lopez are on 1st and 2nd. Would you feel more confident with Griffey or Dunn at the plate?

Redhook
06-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Dunn would bring more pitching in return than Griffey could on the trade market. And losing Griffey would hurt the offense more than losing Dunn right now anyway.

I know Dunn has the consistent OBP and will hit 40 homeruns every year, and he has many years of that level of performance ahead of him but... Time and again he doesn't produce in clutch game tying or game winning situations the way Griffey does. He doesn't hit strong pitching well the way Griffey can. He'll never have the rbi totals that elite power hitters produce. Let's face it. If the Reds are down 2 in the bottom of the ninth against a tough left handed closer (say Billy Wagner?) and Freel and Lopez are on 1st and 2nd. Would you feel more confident with Griffey or Dunn at the plate?

I do believe Dunn would be traded before Griffey because we'd get alot more in returns. However, I doubt this will happen during the season, especially if we're still in it.

I believe Dunn will be traded after this season. If not, sometime in 2007. He's due to make $10.5 million next and $13 million in 2008. That's too much for the low-cost Reds.

paulrichjr
06-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Can we sticky this thread? Not to be mean but in two weeks we will have another one just like it.

I'm not judging the content just the fact that we seem to have at least one Griffey or Dunn needs to be traded thread per week. By the way we are 2 games out of first and the Stros, Cubs, and Cards are all hurting. Just saying

NJReds
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Can we sticky this thread? Not to be mean but in two weeks we will have another one just like it.

I honestly think that Dunn needs his own separate forum. I know he's a lightning rod for discussion, but it's getting a little ridiculous.

dabvu2498
06-06-2006, 11:09 AM

Heck, there's 3 going right now.

remdog
06-06-2006, 11:47 AM
He's due to make $10.5 million next and $13 million in 2008. That's too much for the low-cost Reds.

I see signs that the Reds under Castellini are no longer the miserly team that they were under Lindner. I think that the group has a willingness to do some investment spending for the long-term.

Anyone else think that?

Rem

Puffy
06-06-2006, 11:50 AM
I see signs that the Reds under Castellini are no longer the miserly team that they were under Lindner. I think that the group has a willingness to do some investment spending for the long-term.

Anyone else think that?

Rem

Yes - I think the signs are there. Its early in his "reign" but still the signs are there......

billy117
06-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Anyone else think that?

Rem

Actually that's exactly what I was thinking. I he goes I don't think it will be just because of his contract. Personally I don't know how I feel about trading him. I guess I would trade him if we could get a real quality pitcher, but I mean a consistent All-Star quality pitcher, anything less I'd keep him.

pedro
06-06-2006, 11:54 AM

Anyone else think that?

Rem

Yep.

That's the same reason I don't think they'll trade Griffey for nothing to just dump his salary.

remdog
06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Yep.

That's the same reason I don't think they'll trade Griffey for nothing to just dump his salary.

I posted the same thoughts on the ORG thread vis a vie Griffey to the Yanks. I picked two high profile, high paid players that are always subject to trade rumors, to a great degree because of their salaries, to iniate the topic but maybe it's time for its' own thead.

Rem