PDA

View Full Version : EE Update

reds44
06-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Encarnacion update

ST. LOUIS -- Edwin Encarnacion thought he was in big trouble when he rolled over his ankle trying to stop in the fifth inning.

"I thought it broke," he said.

But X-rays showed no fractures and Encarnacion is the proverbial day-to-day with a mild sprain. He showed us the brace he was wearing -- one of those plastic and air, Active Ankle-type things -- and said he would ice it a bit tonight.

He was limping as he moved through the clubhouse, but doesn't expect to be out too long.

"I think a couple days," he said. "Tomorrow I’m not going to do anything and then we’ll go back to Cincinnati and see how I feel."

Thank God. I freaked out when I saw him go down.

RedsMan3203
06-07-2006, 12:59 AM

You and everyone else that knows a lick about baseball.

pedro
06-07-2006, 01:33 AM
From the way he was acting, I thought he broke it too.

SirFelixCat
06-07-2006, 01:41 AM
To be honest, I wasn't worried about a broken ankle, my first thought, 'he popped his achilles' :sick :cry:

THANK GOD! it's only a sprain.

KronoRed
06-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Word.

dougdirt
06-07-2006, 01:55 AM
To be honest, I wasn't worried about a broken ankle, my first thought, 'he popped his achilles' :sick :cry:

Those were my exact words.... the replay they showed the first time around just showed him going back toward second and falling to the ground upon trying to push off and all i could think was he just tore his achilles....I am very glad that isnt the case.

RAS
06-07-2006, 05:30 AM
When is this franchise ever going to get a 3rd base coach that knows what the heck he is doing? Mark Berry had no business waving Griffey up to the last second with Juan Encarnacion coming up with the ball so quickly and having a gun for an arm. It was Berry's stopping of Griffey at the last second that caused EE to have to slam on the brakes. Some of the decisions Berry has made at 3B have been terrible

RollyInRaleigh
06-07-2006, 06:34 AM
I'm not enamored with Berry's decisions at third, but I don't think it was his fault. Encarnacion should have known who was running in front of him and shouldn't have run up Griffey's back in that situation. He was way to aggressive in that situation in my opinion.

RedFanAlways1966
06-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm not enamored with Berry's decisions at third, but I don't think it was his fault. Encarnacion should have known who was running in front of him and shouldn't have run up Griffey's back in that situation. He was way to aggressive in that situation in my opinion.

Well said, Randy. :thumbup:

GAC
06-07-2006, 07:53 AM

I thoroughly agree Randy. Simply a rookie mistake.

But I still don't care for Berry.... especially after I found out he was raised a life-long Dodger fan. ;)

MattyHo4Life
06-07-2006, 08:24 AM
You and everyone else that knows a lick about baseball.

I'm glad it isn't serious. When it happened last night... I was hoping it just looked worse than it really was and that he would be ok. Even though he is on an opposing team.

reds1869
06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm glad it isn't serious. When it happened last night... I was hoping it just looked worse than it really was and that he would be ok. Even though he is on an opposing team.

You just summed up why I have an almost George Grande like respect for the Cardinals and their fans. Classy all the way, unlike a certain red, white and blue team from Illinois.

cumberlandreds
06-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Those were my exact words.... the replay they showed the first time around just showed him going back toward second and falling to the ground upon trying to push off and all i could think was he just tore his achilles....I am very glad that isnt the case.

I thought it was an achilles also. I was scared until he got up and walked off. I knew then it wasn't that. Sounds like it isn't too bad. The Reds were a little lucky on that one.

dabvu2498
06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I thought it was a sniper. Then he writhed around on the ground in pain. I think his pride was hurt more than anything else.

smith288
06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
I thought it was a cramp...the way he was acting was writhing pain, then not...then writhing pain again, then limped off with no visible sign of severe pain. I think cramps make alot of folks look goofy because they seem like they are going to die.

I saw nothing in the replay that looked like sever rolling of the ankle so I wasnt too worried.

Even though it was a sprain, its a heckuva lot better than a break.

TRF
06-07-2006, 09:16 AM
When the announcers said Griffey was down, I nearly broke my computer. They quickly corrected themselves and saved me $1,000.

NJReds
06-07-2006, 09:37 AM

So did I, because I had the sound down and when I saw the highlight my first thought was that it was Jr. ESPN had mentioned that there was a "major" injury to the Reds and they'd show it on the next highlight.

Mario-Rijo
06-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I hope it's not the dreaded high ankle sprain! :confused:

saboforthird
06-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Well said, Randy. :thumbup:

I'll second that one. Being the conspiracy theorist that I am, something that I notice A LOT of is when someone makes a boneheaded play, he'll *somehow* come up with an injury to explain it. I know a sprain is a sprain. They never feel good. The fact that this one was diagnosed as a minor one is telling, in my opinion.

deltachi8
06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I'll second that one. Being the conspiracy theorist that I am, something that I notice A LOT of is when someone makes a boneheaded play, he'll *somehow* come up with an injury to explain it. I know a sprain is a sprain. They never feel good. The fact that this one was diagnosed as a minor one is telling, in my opinion.

telling of what?

reds44
06-07-2006, 11:08 PM
You're kidding right?

gonelong
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM

Nonsense.

Having recorded the game I could replay the play. He most definetely rolled his left ankle inward, and it was obvious.

GL

KoryMac5
06-07-2006, 11:46 PM
It's a good thing that we have a deep bench which will allow the sprain to heal properly so we don't have to rush the kid. Be prepared for some wild throws when he gets back on the field in a few games.

reds44
06-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Edwin Encarnacion (ankle) was better on Wednesday, but he is likely still a few days from returning to the starting lineup.
"Encarnacion had minimal swelling today, minimal soreness," said trainer Mark Mann. "We'll re-evaluate him (today) and progress his baseball activity over the course of the weekend." Encarnacion is day-to-day. Jun. 8 - 9:56 am et
Source: Cincinnati Post

-Rotoworld
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060608/SPT05/606080329/1027

And also

Ryan Freel went 3-for-5 and hit his career high-tying fourth homer Thursday against the Cubs.
Freel also hit four homers in 2003 and last year. His four homers this season have come in 166 at-bats. With the way he's suddenly heating up again, the Reds are going to have to find additional at-bats for him after Ken Griffey Jr. returns. Some might come at the expense of Edwin Encarnacion. Jun. 8 - 10:07 pm et

I know this is from rotoworld, but Jerry has done it in the past. Why do you take at bats away from your 23 year old stud and give them to Rich Aurila and Ryan Freel. It makes no sense to me.

TeamBoone
06-09-2006, 12:54 AM
From ESPN.com:

Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion also missed his second consecutive game with a mild ankle sprain. He plans to take batting practice on Friday to test it.

reds44
06-09-2006, 01:08 AM
From ESPN.com:
Good to hear. I would let him take BP tomorrow and do some fielding things, then if he doesn't feel any soreness on Saturday morning let him play that night. Then give him the day off again Sunday (day game) and let him go back at it 100% starting Monday.

Ovbiously I am not playing him until he is feeling 100%.

reds44
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Edwin Encarnacion (ankle) hasn't done any baseball activities since Tuesday night.
The Reds hope that Encarnacion will be able to take batting practice prior to Friday's game. If he can hit pain-free he could return to the lineup as soon as Saturday. He looks like he will avoid a trip to the disabled list. Jun. 9 - 9:44 am et
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060609/SPT04/606090415/1071/SPT04

-rotoworld

TeamBoone
06-09-2006, 12:45 PM
06/08/2006

Encarnacion improving: Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion also sat out another game while he mended his mildly sprained left ankle.

Encarnacion rested on Thursday and took a break from running and baseball activities. Mann said that the swelling was reduced and that Encarnacion would take batting practice and ground balls on Friday.

"It feels great," Encarnacion reported. "[It] feels a lot better than yesterday. I can work better now."

Rich Aurilia started at third base in place of Encarnacion.

With the depth of his bench particularly strong this season, Narron didn't feel the need to rush injured players back to the lineup, especially in the infield.

"If Edwin's down, you got Rich Aurilia, [Scott] Hatteberg [and] Rich are interchangeable, Freelie anywhere on the infield except short," said Narron. "We've got some veteran guys there [on the bench], which is outstanding."

Despite not starting, both Griffey and Encarnacion were available to pinch-hit.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060608&content_id=1495950&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin