PDA

View Full Version : Reds Draft: Change of philosophy to college players

mbgrayson
06-07-2006, 01:21 AM
The Reds draft yesterday shows a major change in philosophy so far. The Reds drafted 12 college players, 3 junior college players, and only 3 high school players. (Of these, 9 were position players, and 9 were pitchers.)(Information from Baseball America).

Last year, the Reds drafted 25 college players, 15 high schoolers, and 10 from junior college. (25 position players, 25 pitchers).

So far, the Reds have gone from drafting 30% high school players, to only drafting 16% high school players. A very 'Moneyballish' move.... More drafting tomorrow....so we will see the final breakdown.

Mike

dougdirt
06-07-2006, 01:59 AM
I am not ready to go that they are going "moneyballish" yet, because this years HS crop is pretty poor....as is the college crop, but the college crop at least is more advanced and more projectable than the HS class this year. There wasnt a HS kid who jumped out as a big guy like in most drafts had 2 or 3 or more.

tripleaaaron
06-07-2006, 02:07 AM
Hopefully it was just the best available talent in their eyes and not a "moneyball" maneuver.

RAS
06-07-2006, 05:14 AM
Also I see that they got Loo signed and he had been projected as the 64th best going into this draft. I like the college kids as they just seem more likely to make it and make it quicker

redsmetz
06-07-2006, 05:34 AM
Hopefully it was just the best available talent in their eyes and not a "moneyball" maneuver.

I'm thinking they're leaning this way to fill a depleted minor league system with more advanced, mature players. It may just be a one time phenomenon.

wolfboy
06-07-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm thinking they're leaning this way to fill a depleted minor league system with more advanced, mature players. It may just be a one time phenomenon.

Good observation. Most of the talent that we have is in A ball, with a sprinkling in AA. Our AAA team has no real prospects. In this draft, they may have been moving to restock some of the upper levels quickly.

So far, the Reds have gone from drafting 30% high school players, to only drafting 16% high school players. A very 'Moneyballish' move.... More drafting tomorrow....so we will see the final breakdown.

You can't just say that because they took college players, they are going "moneyball". Beane and company's success isn't a direct result of drafting college players. It's a direct result of being able to scout those players well, and use certain data to project how well they will do in the major leagues. I'm no expert, but I just didn't see that kind of smarts in the Reds top picks. I hope I'm wrong.

flyer85
06-07-2006, 08:52 AM
A very 'Moneyballish' move.not when you consider that a number of the college guys have very questionable statistics.

mbgrayson
06-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Okay, maybe saying the Reds draft being more of a 'Moneyball' philiosposhy is wrong if you take the 'Moneyball' approach to be purely based on stats. I haven't tried to analyze and compare the stats of Reds draftees to those of other organizations.

I should have said that there is simply more emphasis on college players, which I think is good. They players are older, more projectable, and have played against a higher level of competition.

As of 3:30 EDT today, Baseball America shows that the Reds have drafted 22 college players, 5 highschoolers, and 6 junior college. That is a 15% high schooler draft rate, compared to 30% last year. I think that means that there has been a shift of philosophy away from drafting so many high school players. Even the Oakland As, the original 'Moneyball' team, are drafting 25% high school players this year.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-07-2006, 03:52 PM
not when you consider that a number of the college guys have very questionable statistics.

Exactly, "Moneyball" this draft is not.

Unassisted
06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Seems plausible to me that there would be a change in draft philosophy. There's new ownership with an interest in winning soon; a new GM who has a new plan and apparently a bigger pot of money to work with.

Falls City Beer
06-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I think he means "Moneyballer" by Jim Bowden.

Mario-Rijo
06-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Does this influx of talent mean some promotions and cuts in the organization? I would think it does, but I have never really paid much attention to this part of the equation before!

dougdirt
06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
I dont think it means many cuts of anyone you have heard of before. It probably means some guys in Extended ST will be let go. They need to fill up two rosters for the GCL Reds and the Billings Mustangs. Not every pick is going to sign, or even sign in time to play this year.