PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Out Marcs Blog

NatiRedGals
06-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Junior out tonight

ST. LOUIS -- Ken Griffey Jr. is on the bench tonight with some tightness in his left quadriceps.

And yes, it is one of those "day-to-day" things, though Junior gleefully said we weren't allowed to say that anymore. I don't think this is anything serious. Sounds like he aggravated it on that mad scamper home in the ninth last night. With a lefty starting tomorrow for the Cubs, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in the lineup for that one, but I'd expect him back in there by Friday.

"He’s definitely available to pinch-hit," said Jerry Narron.

smith288
06-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Why didnt they just say "giving him a rest" and not raise suspicions across Reds world that he may be more seriously injured?

KronoRed
06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Why didnt they just say "giving him a rest" and not raise suspicions across Reds world that he may be more seriously injured?
I think they enjoy raising suspicions

Falls City Beer
06-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I'd say Griffey's injured. And this will be more than just a "rest."

spaethc
06-07-2006, 07:27 PM
hopefully all he needs is a night off. If not they need to fire Berry before his awful 3rd base coaching gets more players injured.

George Foster
06-07-2006, 07:30 PM
I'd say Griffey's injured. And this will be more than just a "rest."

You want to bet he did it scoring form first last night in the 8th inning...with a 5 run lead?

jfleur87
06-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Did anyone else see him rubbing it after the play, they shot the camera over to him and he was rubbing his leg

2001MUgrad
06-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm looking into the future. He will be....

Placed on the DL................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..........................Next Wednesday.

UKFlounder
06-07-2006, 07:58 PM

Would it really matter? After these past few years, I think many (most?) Reds fans have that suspicion any time Griffey misses a game, whether or not any reason is given.

edabbs44
06-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, but he should never, ever be considered to be traded. Complete blasphomy. This reeks of the situation earlier in the year.

saboforthird
06-07-2006, 08:48 PM
You want to bet he did it scoring form first last night in the 8th inning...with a 5 run lead?

If Junior can't go all out on the bases, then he shouldn't be on the bases. Period. I've seen enough of his jogs to first on grounders, that he probably could beat out. Sorry, I love the guy's swing and the fact that he will go into the Hall of Fame as a "natural", but the exemptions fans try to give him is ridiculous.

UKAlum97
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Did anyone else see him rubbing it after the play, they shot the camera over to him and he was rubbing his leg

When he was coming around 3rd last night, I had visions of one of his hamstring injuries a few years ago. Although everything appeared to be ok momentarily, I did see him rubbing it in the dugout shortly after his slide. Then when they took him out right after that I thought, "Uh oh." Now I'm really scared.

I remember when Junior was hurt earlier this year on that check swing with Maddox. The next day he was listed "day to day." How many weeks did he miss?

RedRoser
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Hogwash.
Jr. ain't hurt. He's just been traded, that's all. Hello Chicago! :thumbup:

billy117
06-07-2006, 11:13 PM
If Junior can't go all out on the bases, then he shouldn't be on the bases. Period. I've seen enough of his jogs to first on grounders, that he probably could beat out. Sorry, I love the guy's swing and the fact that he will go into the Hall of Fame as a "natural", but the exemptions fans try to give him is ridiculous.

Grounders he probably could have beat out? I suppose you could be right, but I don't recall too many of those or any for that matter and I watch most games. Not saying that you don't watch most games I'm just saying that I do.

jredmo2
06-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Take it easy. If indeed he has to go on the DL again, we'll just put in our speedy lineup, let him rest, and he'll come back on a tear like it has worked out this time. We have depth, and even if he goes back on the DL its not like its anything serious. Griffey's an old guy, all we need is for him to stay fresh enough to smack (stuff) around in October (please God), right?

KoryMac5
06-07-2006, 11:33 PM
I will take a sore quad any day of the week over a torn hamstring. Like Marc said rest him tomorrow and we will see him Friday.

NewEraReds
06-07-2006, 11:34 PM
i went nutz last night when our 3b coach(ill leave my opinions of him out :)) sent him when it wasnt needed. i was thinking, come on, what are you doing, he better not get hurt doing this. sure enough, he's sitting, no matter how minor they call it, there is nothing minor with jr. if it is minor it may just cause him to run a little differently and injure something else.

NewEraReds
06-07-2006, 11:36 PM
thats funny. would you rather have jr jog a few balls he CANT beat out and hit 30 homers. or spend 95% of the season on the dl cause he ran out a grounder to 2nd

Falls City Beer
06-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Take it easy. If indeed he has to go on the DL again, we'll just put in our speedy lineup, let him rest, and he'll come back on a tear like it has worked out this time. We have depth, and even if he goes back on the DL its not like its anything serious. Griffey's an old guy, all we need is for him to stay fresh enough to smack (stuff) around in October (please God), right?

I'd argue Griffey nearly single-handedly awoke the offense from its Ambien picnic.

TOBTTReds
06-08-2006, 12:18 AM

No one in that situation should be sent home, period! Up 6-0, with 0 outs, that late in the game and you are sending a runner home on a close play! Let alone your $12 million dollar game winning HR hitter. Mark Berry should have been fired on the spot! Just dumb! :bang:

Cedric
06-08-2006, 12:24 AM

I am thrilled that Griffey is smart enough to not run out every grounder. It's common sense. There is absolutely nothing that says the one grounder booted per year is worth the risk of running out an obviously easy play.

This isn't little league buddy.

NewEraReds
06-08-2006, 12:45 AM
No one in that situation should be sent home, period! Up 6-0, with 0 outs, that late in the game and you are sending a runner home on a close play! Let alone your $12 million dollar game winning HR hitter. Mark Berry should have been fired on the spot! Just dumb! :bang:
DANG STR8