PDA

View Full Version : Aurilia & Hatteberg shut up critics?

REDJAKE
06-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Glad to see the guys shut up the so called experts on the site that think they know more than the MGR. about who to bat where, did it ever dawn on them that Narron wanted some guys who make contact in the 3 & 4 spots in a game that was supposed yo be a close one according to who was pitching.GO CINCY!!!!!

smith288
06-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Uhh... Nobody has proclaimed expertise on lineup construction (that i could tell at least) but they are free to give opinions.

I loathe MLB.com like posts....

westofyou
06-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Glad to see the guys shut up the so called experts on the site that think they know more than the MGR. about who to bat where, did it ever dawn on them that Narron wanted some guys who make contact in the 3 & 4 spots in a game that was supposed yo be a close one according to who was pitching.GO CINCY!!!!!Yeah... you told them!!!!

dabvu2498
06-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Aurilia and Hatteberg are good, veteran, professional hitters and I think their influence grows on our younger guys (EE, FeLo, etc.).

If you watch the game closely (in person) you'll also notice that Rich seems to be the "captain" of the team when it's in the field. It seems he does most of the positioning, makes calls on bunt coverages, etc. I'm glad the regime decided he was worth a few extra bucks for an "extra" player.

membengal
06-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah, screw you, experts! You know who you are!

And, if Aurilia and Hatte had gone 0 for 10, I am sure this post still would have been made! Or not!

(btw, I have players I am not as fond of on this team as others for a variety of reasons, and players I like. But what I, and pretty much 99.9% of the posters on here don't do, is start a thread everytime, in the course of one game, they do something good or bad that supposedly backs-up their personal likes or dislikes of those players...)

No one is unhappy with last night's production. People may still choose to question the wisdom of that kind of line-up if it repeats itself. That it worked, last night, thrills everyone on this board...

toledodan
06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Glad to see the guys shut up the so called experts on the site that think they know more than the MGR. about who to bat where, did it ever dawn on them that Narron wanted some guys who make contact in the 3 & 4 spots in a game that was supposed yo be a close one according to who was pitching.GO CINCY!!!!!

i just gave my opinion and was glad to eat crow. right now i would love for JN to buy me a lottery ticket with the luck he's having.:D :thumbup:

westofyou
06-08-2006, 10:53 AM
That it worked, last night, thrills everyone on this board...
Hell yeah it does.

Ever play poker?

Sometimes you try something that might not work... it's called playing the odds.

Here's a fine example.

4-0 Reds 6th inning.

Top 6th: Cincinnati
- A. Harang struck out swinging
- R. Freel doubled to deep left center

Tony LaRussa strolls to the mound and brings in the LH, flipping Lopez to his worst side and flipping Hattenberg to face a LH for only the 22nd time all year.

- T. Johnson relieved S. Ponson

- F. Lopez grounded out to third, R. Freel to third

- S. Hatteberg walked

At this point LaRussa gambles that Johnson will get Aurilia out and then he can face Dunn to lead off the 7th.

He's playing the matchup folowing Aurilia, not the matchup between Aurilia and Johnson. It was like he was trying to pull a low straight, but the two cards he needed were flipping Lopez and Hattenberg and setting up the future Dunn matchup.

Problem is the odds were against him in the Aurilia match up and Hattenberg's walk created that situation and LaRussa didn't bail

- R. Aurilia homered to deep left, S. Hatteberg and R. Freel scored

LaRussa folds

- A. Dunn grounded out to first

The card he picked was Aurilia's line vs LH this year

.309/.394/.709/1.103

flyer85
06-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Aurilia and Hatteberg are good, veteran, professional hitters whatever that means. Tthey have opposite approaches at the plate. Hatteberg works the count and sees a lot of pitches, while Aurilia is swinging early in the count.

dabvu2498
06-08-2006, 10:58 AM
whatever that means. Tthey have opposite approaches at the plate. Hatteberg works the count and sees a lot of pitches, while Aurilia is swinging early in the count.
It means they have designed approaches and they stick to them. They have an idea everytime they step in the box. Instead of the "hit and hope" approach you get from many young guys.

UK Reds Fan
06-08-2006, 11:16 AM
It isn't so much that Hat and Aurillia succeeded as they did last night, but so many on here project find a whipping boy and never get off of it even when evidence indicates that guy isn't as bad as the general consensus dictates.

If we listened to most "experts" on this board.

-Aurillia would have never been here and probably would be replaced by Olmedo as the only option I see vs. Rich.
-Hatteburg would be a PH only. No clue who we'd have put at 1st base.
-Weathers would have been waived after 1 month last year.
-Hammond would have been waived after 1 month this year.
-Wagner/Shackelford would have been stuck out there even though the guy has been abused that last 2 years with Reds and AAA.

These guys aren't really holding back/hurting anything from my vantage point. In fact they are a secondary part of our success behind the main cogs and I doubt we'd be in 1st place if Olmedo, Shackelford, Wagner, whomever at 1B, were playing instead of these guys.

Jr's Boy
06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Your not gonna find two more scrappier players than Aurilia and Hatteberg,except for Jim Edmonds.:D

KronoRed
06-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah lets trade all the young guys, go with only 34+ guys, we'll go undefeated ;)

dabvu2498
06-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah lets trade all the young guys, go with only 34+ guys, we'll go undefeated ;)
I'm not sure who is advocating that... I don't want to be the SF Giants... but I don't want to be the Florida Marlins either.

KronoRed
06-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Your not gonna find two more scrappier players than Aurilia and Hatteberg,except for Jim Edmonds.:D
Ryan Freel, oh wait..maybe he's not old enough :evil:

SeeinRed
06-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I know I fiercely defended Narron's decisions on the game thread last night, including the 3-4 combination of Hatteberg and Aurillia, but remember, one game does not a season make. Yeah, I think that Narron is doing a great job, and the fact that this team didn't just roll over after struggling in May has to be credited at least partly to Narron, but one great night does not prove anyone right or wrong. How many more time do you think we will see a lineup similar to the one last night? I'm going to guess not very often. Don't get too excited over the fact that Hatteberg and Aurilla filled their roles well last night, be happy with the fact that this team can come together and win when there are big pieces missing. This team showed a lot about itself last night.

As far as Aurillia goes though, I think he is one of the most valuable parts of this team right now. He has taken the leadership role IMO.