PDA

View Full Version : Little Love For Reds On Around The Horn

Redhook
06-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Around the Horn had a segment a few minutes ago featuring the NL Central. Mariotti said it's a two-team race......the Cards against the Astros. He thinks the Reds will fade. He asked would you rather have Clemens, Pettitte, and Oswalt or Harang, Arroyo, and Milton. I think we know that answer, but our offense is much more dominate than the 'Stros. Woody thinks the Cards will win it. Cowlishaw thinks the Reds have a chance saying we have the 2nd lowest starters ERA. Adande really didn't pick a team.

I'm sure many of you watched this. Any thoughts on their statements and does it matter that we don't get much respect? I kind of like flying under the radar. I also think they have little knowledge of the Reds and I find many of their statements comical.

MWM
06-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I also think they have little knowledge

I agree. :evil:

Spitball
06-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Just watch, if...er, when the Reds hang in there into July, the "experts" will be on television saying, "I've liked the Reds all along. They've got-(from this point they will point out the obvious strengths)- to win it all."

KronoRed
06-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Reds will get respect when they get to the playoffs.

Jr's Boy
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I take these Bozo's with a grain of salt.

OldXOhio
06-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm sure many of you watched this.

No, actually I'm not sure anyone watches it. Names like Mariotti and Paige tend to promote that response.

spaethc
06-08-2006, 06:20 PM
I used to watch ATH but I just cant take it anymore. Those clowns arent anymore qualified to yell and agure about sports than me and my idiot friends.

KoryMac5
06-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I have watched it a few times and have not been impressed by the knowledge bestowed upon me. The best part of the show is the host gets to press the mute button on one of the genius's, wish I could do that with my friends.

Mario-Rijo
06-08-2006, 08:26 PM
PTI also gave us a thumbs down so to speak. They both agreed Cardinals will end up winning division and that they "don't believe in us"! Which is fine. However one thing Jay Mariotti (ATH) was dead wrong on was that we don't have the $$$ to make a move at the deadline. It just goes to show how much these guys pay attention to anything! Sometimes I wonder why I listen to so called experts anytime they only know what the general fan does about someone else's team and maybe a bit more going on behind the scenes!

red-in-la
06-08-2006, 09:42 PM
The drive-by sports media has yet to embrace the horror....a competitive team in Cincinnati. It took them 3 years to notice the Bengals.

wolfboy
06-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Reds will get respect when they get to the playoffs.

Exactly. I've seen what seems like a thread a day on the lack of respect in the media. I don't care one bit if we gain fleeting "respect" during the season. I'm more concerned with the lasting respect we can earn at the end of the season.

biggergipper
06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Mariotti is a dope. i read his drivel every day in the sun times, he's a hater because pete rose was mean to him when he was the reds beat reporter many moons ago.

marcshoe
06-08-2006, 10:12 PM
When the one guy who said nice things about the Reds was given negative points, I changed channels.

I liked the show that just now went off on FSN much better.

2001MUgrad
06-08-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm not so sure its a slam dunk about whose top 3 starting pitchers you'd take.

At this point I think you have to go with the Reds 3. I don't think you know at this point what you can get out of Clemens. But say you get a good Clemens. I think it could be argued that Bronson and Harang would be very comparable when it comes to number with Clemens and Oswalt. So, now you have Pettitte Vs Milton. I think at this point you'd have to say Milton, but if he were to get hurt I think you'd have to say at this point in the season Lizard is a better option than Pettitte.
Will this continue?? Who knows, but it has a chance. So I'd take the Reds top 3 starters over the stros top 3 at this moment.

marcshoe
06-08-2006, 10:39 PM
The drive-by sports media has yet to embrace the horror....a competitive team in Cincinnati. It took them 3 years to notice the Bengals.

The phrase in bold explains a lot. What struck me is that these guys were commenting on something they hadn't even checked out, and someone was paying them to do so.

And to take it one step further, I was watching them. So I did my part and got out of there.

harangatang
06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Hmm..Let's see isn't Oswalt hurt, Pettite sucking horribly, and Clemens in the minors participating in "his" spring training? Would I take them over Arroyo, Harang, and Milton (the way he pitched lately), absolutely. Even if you stack the Reds this year up against the Astros last year the Astros would have a slight advantage in the pitching, but the Reds have the far superior offense. The Reds starters vs the Astros starters are ranked in NL as such: 2nd vs 12th in ERA, 1st vs. 9th in K/BB ratio, 5th vs. 14th in K/9 and the list goes on and on. Really I would prefer no one to pay attention to the Reds because if the Reds are as good as we hope they are, any success in October will be that much sweeter. Here's a quote from John Donovan about the Reds before the season even after they traded for Arroyo.
"It seems that only the struggling Reds, still in dire need of direction (and a lot of pitching), have no chance at a winning record." People are going to dog the Reds until they realize that the stereotypes that they perceive as realities of the past are gone.

Danny Serafini
06-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Around the Horn is pure garbage. It needs to be banished to ESPN hell along with Unscripted, Mohr Sports, Hustle and all the other "ESPN Original Entertainment" junk they come up with.

smith288
06-08-2006, 11:24 PM
That football made for tv mini series they had was pretty cool.

Maldez
06-08-2006, 11:25 PM
One guy did come up with a mildyl clever line "The Reds are Ryan Fer-Real".

Hey, the guy tried.

TeamSelig
06-09-2006, 12:42 AM
do you guys honestly think an outside opinion is going to think the Reds are serious? I can't blame them for being skeptical.. at all.

billy117
06-09-2006, 01:04 AM

I guess we know what you listen to, from 12-3 est.....And the drive-by sports media did the same thing to the Colts here in indy until the last two seasons..and after last year, with all the talk of the undefeated season, I think I have had my fill of my favorite team on ESPN. So I hope the Reds stay off their radar.

savafan
06-09-2006, 01:24 AM
When the one guy who said nice things about the Reds was given negative points, I changed channels.

Ditto. He started to compliment the Reds, and half of his points were taken away and he was muted.

Reminds me of 1990. Even when the Reds made it to the series, the national media didn't give them a chance. All four games, McCarver and Buck talked about the mighty Oakland A's. I don't think the Reds got any respect that year until Benzinger caught the last out of game four. I can live with that type of lack of respect again.

Topcat
06-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Woody Paige is an idiot who defines lazy journalism and commentary to its highest form.

SeeinRed
06-09-2006, 02:34 AM
I would actually like to hear more people trash the Reds in the national media. If the Reds have any measure of success, it will just be that much sweeter. Plus I think that teams with an "us against the world" mentality just seem to play better. Look at the those UC Bearcats. They were sure fun to watch. The only downside that if the Reds do well, then we'll hear how the members of the media knew they could do it if the pitching held together and what-not.:rolleyes: So really the only satisfaction all of us would get (oh, and I know we would get satisfaction from this) is that we knew what they said. Thats good enough for me.

By the way, in April, weren't the PTI guys on the band wagon? I could have swore one or both were.

E. Davis 44
06-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Mariotti said it's a two-team race......the Cards against the Astros. He thinks the Reds will fade.
He also later in the show went on to say that with the Ravens signing Steve McNair that they are clearly better than the Bengals and will challenge the Steelers for the AFC Championship. The guy is clearly dillusional or he has some deep rooted hatred for Cincinnati sports.

zombie-a-go-go
06-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Eh. The talking heads aren't the ones playing the games. I ascribe no importance to the words that come from their mouths, whether they're hailing or dissing the Redlegs. All that matters is what happens on the field. Nothing else.

Saying the Reds are good doesn't make them good. The inverse, obviously, is also true.

BuckWoody
06-09-2006, 08:28 AM
He also later in the show went on to say that with the Ravens signing Steve McNair that they are clearly better than the Bengals and will challenge the Steelers for the AFC Championship. The guy is clearly dillusional or he has some deep rooted hatred for Cincinnati sports.
Peter King says :wave: .

The Reds not getting much national respect right now doesn't bother me too much. They've recently gotten off to hot starts only to fade away by the all-star break...that's probably as much reserach as those national guys do. If we're still rolling along by the all-star break, we'll get some notice even if it is in the form of "are the Reds for real?". Baby steps...

dabvu2498
06-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Why are we worried about what Jay Mariotti, Woody Paige, Michael Wilbon or any of those other paid schills says??? It's entertainment. For the gospel, go to church.

membengal
06-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Ravech and company actually spent quality time on the Reds last night on BBTN, and Destrade practically chided the panel as he asserted why the Reds were sticking around for the long haul. I was just gratified to hear a grown-up discussion from that group.

Boston Pete (Peter Gammons) said on Mike and Mike this morning that he fully expected the Reds to be in the hunt come Labor Day, and that people need to readjust their expectations for them a bit.

So, the perceptions are slowly changing, at least in some quarters. And they should be, to dominate your own division like the Reds are, coupled with decent starting pitching and a good offense, makes it likely they are in this for awhile...

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by TeamSelig do you guys honestly think an outside opinion is going to think the Reds are serious? I can't blame them for being skeptical.. at all.

I honestly don't care about them giving us respect or being skeptical if they were right in WHY this is the case. If it's a reasonable summation of why we won't continue to contend I am more than fine. But when your reasons are skewed or it's just flat untrue it irks me, because then I begin to question everything they are saying about every team and it then makes me look stupid if I quote something they have said to back up something I believe. Of course I don't usually take much of what they say (opinions) to be very reliable.