PDA

View Full Version : Should Brandon Phillips Make the Allstar Team??

joshnky
06-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Lets assume we stay at or near the top of the Central, who which Reds will make the Allstar team? I think KGJ, Arroyo, and maybe Harang and Coffey but what about Brandon Phillips? He is batting .316 with an OPS of .829 in 177 ABs. Utley and Vidro have both played well this year and that might be enough to keep him off but his stats are surprisingly worthy. Personally, I think it might not be a good thing if he makes the allstar team this early as that could go to his head. He seems to have left some of his bad habits behind in Cleveland and I'd hate to see pride bring a few back to the surface. Also, I think that being a number 7 or 8 hitter in this lineup may disguise his importance and hurt him when it comes to choosing the team.

goodwilly98
06-09-2006, 07:35 AM
I doubt Coffey will make it, as he's only been a MR up till this past week, and MR's, no matter how good the numbers, won't make it.

As for Phillips, you're right, with Vidro and Utley there, it could be tough, as both overall have put up better #'s.....But still can't argue with him being our All-Star

Arroyo right now is a shoe-in, and it's between him and Webb to actually get the starting nod. If Harang can continue, I see him making it as well, although his ERA might hurt his chances assuming the guys ahead of him continue to pitch lights out

Griffey I think makes it assuming he stays healthy. I mean he already about leads the Reds in RBI's, and missed an entire month.

Ibleedblue
06-09-2006, 07:36 AM
I'd actually like to see him left off, keep that chip on his shoulder.

Highlifeman21
06-09-2006, 09:32 AM
It will be Utley.

Hopefully, KGJ continues to stay in the top 3 OF and starts, and then we should get at least 1 more player to accompany him.

Brandon Phillips, not this year.

Johnny Footstool
06-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Utley should start, and Vidro will probably be the backup. Dan Uggla is also putting together a great season in Florida.

thorn
06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I'd like to see him get in. Maybe instead of the "Chip on his Shoulder" maybe it goes to reaffirm what he's been doing is working. You guys think everyone is weak in the head for some reason.

HalMorrisRules
06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
This ten game homestand will surely help Griffey with his vote total and put him solidly in the top three.

TRF
06-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Utley's numbers are better, Vidro's are not. At least not accross the board.

PLAYER AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB BA OBP SLG OPS
Jose Vidro 221 29 71 8 1 4 26 1 0 20 .321 .379 .421 .800
Chase Utley 237 51 75 16 1 11 36 6 3 25 .316 .392 .532 .923
Brandon Phillips 177 28 56 8 1 6 36 12 0 10 .316 .354 .475 .829

BP's SLG falls in between the two. He's a perfect 12-12 in SB's. He has the lowest OBP of the three, but it's respectable a .354. And he has about 50 fewer AB's. IMO Utley will get the nod, but the difference in these three players talent wise and numbers wise isn't that great.

Ibleedblue
06-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I'd like to see him get in. Maybe instead of the "Chip on his Shoulder" maybe it goes to reaffirm what he's been doing is working. You guys think everyone is weak in the head for some reason.I prefer players to feel like they have something to prove. It makes them try harder. It's the reason you see guys like Guillen tee off every time he faces a former team, he feels the need to prove they made a mistake. It's also the reason you see average to below average players like Beltre go off for a .388 OBP, 48 HR and 121 RBI in a walk year. They feel the need to prove they are worth big money.

OldXOhio
06-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Arroyo right now is a shoe-in, and it's between him and Webb to actually get the starting nod.
Griffey I think makes it assuming he stays healthy. I mean he already about leads the Reds in RBI's, and missed an entire month.

I think Glavine gets the nod at this point. And regardless of Junior's numbers or time off, he's still a fan favorite that should get in.

Roy Tucker
06-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Has a player ever gone from DFA'ed to All-Star in the same season?

It's amazing that this is even being realistically discussed.

boognish
06-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Even though the All-Star game now "matters," I still consider it an exhibition...and watch every year. I am genuinely excited that the Reds will likely have more than one representative. Griffey should be voted in, and if Arroyo pitches well in his next four starts, he will also make it.

Phillips and Lopez both have good shots especially if they can string together some hot weeks. Stuffing the ballot boxes at home games will help, but realistically, Phillips is probably on par with Uggla (.308/.357/.485) and behind Utley (.316/.392/.532) in terms of offensive production, with Phillips defense and speed (12 SB) giving him a slight edge over the former.

Another thing to remember is that neither the Marlins nor the Phils are teams which will be limited to one representative who will make it over more qualified candidates.

westofyou
06-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Should Brandon Phillips Make the Allstar Team??Reminds me of the Bill James essay on why a hot hitting Toby Harrah shouldn't mak eteh AS Game, essentially the conclusion was that the AS game was more about a body of work then a 3 month window that has been open.

Johnny Footstool
06-09-2006, 10:07 AM
IMO Utley will get the nod, but the difference in these three players talent wise and numbers wise isn't that great.

Chase Utley is an elite performer at 2B. The rest are just very good.

max venable
06-09-2006, 10:19 AM
I don't think we're going to have more than one guy make the team. Nobody's putting up MONSTER numbers--just good numbers.

I think BP deserves to go, but may not for all the reasons already mentioned.

If we only get one guy in, it will be Arroyo.

Reds worthy of consideration:

Lopez
Arroyo
Phillips

Really, that's about all.

cincy09
06-09-2006, 10:34 AM
griffey will be voted in, Arroyo is in as long as he doesnt blow up over the next 4 weeks

OldXOhio
06-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Reminds me of the Bill James essay on why a hot hitting Toby Harrah shouldn't mak eteh AS Game, essentially the conclusion was that the AS game was more about a body of work then a 3 month window that has been open.

Interesting. You agree w/ that notion?

RedLegSuperStar
06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I voted for him

westofyou
06-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Interesting. You agree w/ that notion?
I went to the 1971 AS game and can't remember Cookie Rojas or Felix Millan at all.

I think a certain aspect of the AS game is marketing, that means market brand names.

Hence why I think making the AS game matter is perhaps the lamest thing MLB can do.

1971 AS Game

Luis Aparicio
Vida Blue
Don Buford
Leo Cardenas +
Rod Carew
Norm Cash
Mike Cuellar
Dave Duncan +
Ray Fosse *
Bill Freehan
Frank Howard
Reggie Jackson
Al Kaline
Harmon Killebrew
Mickey Lolich
Sam McDowell *
Bill Melton +
Andy Messersmith +
Thurman Munson
Bobby Murcer
Tony Oliva *
Amos Otis
Jim Palmer
Marty Pattin +
Jim Perry +
Boog Powell *
Brooks Robinson
Frank Robinson
Cookie Rojas
Sonny Siebert +
Wilbur Wood +
Carl Yastrzemski

National League
Hank Aaron
Glenn Beckert
Johnny Bench
Bobby Bonds
Lou Brock
Steve Carlton +
Clay Carroll +
Roberto Clemente
Nate Colbert
Willie Davis
Larry Dierker *
Dock Ellis
Bud Harrelson
Fergie Jenkins
Don Kessinger
Juan Marichal
Lee May
Willie Mays
Willie McCovey
Felix Millan
Pete Rose
Manny Sanguillen +
Ron Santo
Tom Seaver +
Willie Stargell
Rusty Staub +
Joe Torre
Don Wilson
Rick Wise +

OldXOhio
06-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I think a certain aspect of the AS game is marketing, that means market brand names.

My thinking is that's fine to some degree, but when aged veterans having below norm years are getting the nod over a young up and comer with better numbers, I have a problem. The AS game is still a reward acknowledging your elite status in the game. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd rather see how a Matt Holliday performs in the limelight, rather than watching Bonds do it for the umpteenth time.

redsmetz
06-09-2006, 11:02 AM
I've been mounting a quixotic write-in campaign, writing in Brandon in the on-line balloting. He's probably up to a couple hundred votes by now. :)

It's close, but I could see him being chosen as an extra. It's a long shot. I think Arroyo's a given and I hope Griff wins a slot.

westofyou
06-09-2006, 11:11 AM
My thinking is that's fine to some degree, but when aged veterans having below norm years are getting the nod over a young up and comer with better numbers, I have a problem. The AS game is still a reward acknowledging your elite status in the game. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd rather see how a Matt Holliday performs in the limelight, rather than watching Bonds do it for the umpteenth time.
I agree that at a certain point you can see that that's the right course of action for the proper way to do it. But as of now the fans vote and most of the fans who get up for it are kids and chances are they'd see it differently. But the fans have the vote, so chances are old guys (like Griffey too ;) ) will get more action then they deserve.

goodwilly98
06-09-2006, 11:16 AM
I think Glavine gets the nod at this point. And regardless of Junior's numbers or time off, he's still a fan favorite that should get in.

Yeah, I forgot about Glavine...Comparing the 3 (Arroyo, Webb, Glavine), there's very little difference.

Glavine: 9-2, 3.06 64 k's 26 BB in 85.1 IP
Arroyo: 8-2, 2.31 68 k's 18 BB in 89.2 IP
Webb: 8-0, 2.14 65 k's 13 BB in 96.2 IP

It's not unrealistic to think Arroyo could get the starting nod, assuming his next few starts continue as his whole year has gone.

Of course if that were the case, let's hope he does't pull a Jack Armstrong....Wasn't he like 10-0 at the AS break, AS game starter, then completely stunk up the place the 2nd half?

westofyou
06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Of course if that were the case, let's hope he does't pull a Jack Armstrong....Wasn't he like 10-0 at the AS break, AS game starter, then completely stunk up the place the 2nd half?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/atlee_hammaker_autograph.jpg

OldXOhio
06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I forgot about Glavine...Comparing the 3 (Arroyo, Webb, Glavine), there's very little difference.

Glavine: 9-2, 3.06 64 k's 26 BB in 85.1 IP
Arroyo: 8-2, 2.31 68 k's 18 BB in 89.2 IP
Webb: 8-0, 2.14 65 k's 13 BB in 96.2 IP

It's not unrealistic to think Arroyo could get the starting nod, assuming his next few starts continue as his whole year has gone.

No, it's not unrealistic at all. However, see WOY's post above on why Glavine probably has a leg up on getting the start. Even though that's not fan driven, the same attitude probably still applies.

max venable
06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Eckstein leading NL shortstops in voting is a joke.

Roy Tucker
06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Eckstein leading NL shortstops in voting is a joke.
Why not? He's leading the NL in hits.

I know. George Grande told me. Several times.

:mooner:

Edd Roush
06-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Why not? He's leading the NL in hits.

I know. George Grande told me. Several times.

:mooner:

Haha, yea and the fact that he's very scrappy. David Eckstein makes George Grande forget that guy who used to play SS. Was he number 11 or 12 or something? Any ways, that old Reds SS could never hold a candle up to Ozzie Smith. Psh, could Larkin do a backflip on the field? I think not.

membengal
06-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Brandon Phillips should at the very least be a prominent part of the discussion for a reserve role at 2b on the All-star team this season.

dabvu2498
06-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Haha, yea and the fact that he's very scrappy. David Eckstein makes George Grande forget that guy who used to play SS. Was he number 11 or 12 or something? Any ways, that old Reds SS could never hold a candle up to Ozzie Smith. Psh, could Larkin do a backflip on the field? I think not.
Geore Grande talks more about guys on the other team than he does our guys??? Hadn't noticed. ;)

Edd Roush
06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Geore Grande talks more about guys on the other team than he does our guys??? Hadn't noticed. ;)

Yea, not to hijack this thread but I couldn't imagine George Grande voting for his boy Jimmy over Jr. in the outfield. ;) Those diving catches Jimmy makes give me goosebumps.

buckeyenut
06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Phil Garner is picking the AS team. Craig Biggio will be the 2B reserve.

Lopez might be in the discussion at SS, but Ramirez out of FLA deserves to start or at least make the team.

Jr is in 3rd in the fan voting. I would be shocked if he falls out of the starting lineup. He has been a sportscenter staple and Jr is still Jr.

registerthis
06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Come on guys, don't turn this into another Grande-bashing thread, please. There's already several of those floating around.

max venable
06-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Come on guys, don't turn this into another Grande-bashing thread, please. There's already several of those floating around.
When's the last time someone started a George Grande appreciation thread? Is there NO ONE out there who likes G.G.?

registerthis
06-09-2006, 02:03 PM
When's the last time someone started a George Grande appreciation thread? Is there NO ONE out there who likes G.G.?

Go for it, Max. There's a first time for everything, I suppose.

smith288
06-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Here you go (http://www.redszone.com/forums/member.php?u=4308)