PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Eight-game win streak snapped / Three In A Row

TeamBoone
06-10-2006, 03:03 AM
Pretty good description of all the flubs, but I was disappointed that nothing was said about Lopez caught stealing with 1 out and a man on third with Griffey at the plate. That one really got me.

06/10/2006

Eight-game win streak snapped
Ninth-inning rally falls short as Reds lose to Cubs
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- A mistake-filled game against Greg Maddux and the Cubs last week provided the rallying point for the Reds' eight-game winning streak.
And it was more mistakes against Maddux and the Cubs on Friday that ultimately ended said streak in a 6-5 loss at Great American Ball Park.

Unlike the May 30 loss at Wrigley, one that manager Jerry Narron frequently has called "embarrassing," Cincinnati did not fade quietly, and nearly pulled off a ninth-inning comeback.

If only there hadn't been one faux pas too many.

"It should never have got to that point," right fielder Austin Kearns said. "We kind of shot ourselves in the foot a couple of times."

Kearns was involved in a costly three-run Chicago seventh for the Reds' defense. He had trouble finding Aramis Ramirez's two-out fly ball in the twilight sky, and then slipped and fell as the ball dropped in behind him. The play was ruled a two-run double.

Favoring his left leg, Kearns was looked over by the trainer. He remained but was lifted for a pinch-runner after he singled in the bottom of the seventh. He was diagnosed with a mild hamstring strain.

"I didn't see [the ball] and then I finally did see it," Kearns said. "I just thought, 'I need to go a step back to catch it.' I went to step [back] and I just got laid out, I don't know. It just cramped up. ... I can play. I just needed some time to stretch it out. It'll be fine."

The Reds could have been out of the inning before Ramirez came up. Two batters earlier, Juan Pierre hit into what could have been an inning-ending double play to second base, but shortstop Felipe Lopez's throw to first base was off line and pulled Scott Hatteberg off the bag.

"It would have taken us right out of that inning. That was a big play," said bench coach Bucky Dent, who managed with Narron away for his daughter's graduation. "That was the whole key, I thought, missing the double play."

A scoring chance was also missed in the Reds' sixth after pinch-hitter Ray Olmedo hit a leadoff double. Lopez followed with a single to right field but was held at third base by coach Mark Berry as Jacque Jones' throw came home. Brandon Phillips flied to right field but Olmedo was instructed to hold.

Lopez was caught stealing. Ken Griffey Jr. walked but the inning ended without any runs scoring.

"With Griff coming up, [Berry] didn't want to take a chance with nobody out if [Jones] makes a good throw," Dent said. "We'd rather have first and third and one out than man on first, two outs. I thought it was a good decision."

Except for Adam Dunn's second-inning homer and a long ball by Hatteberg in the fifth, both solo shots, the Reds didn't do much against Maddux (7-5). The right-hander, who has struggled lately, worked 5 1/3 innings for his second win over his last eight starts -- both were against Cincinnati.

Reds starter Elizardo Ramirez (2-5) gave up three earned runs and six hits over six innings.

All of the Reds' shortcomings in the game would have been erased in the bottom of the ninth had they not come up ... well, short.

Leading off, Dunn drew the first of three walks against Cubs closer Ryan Dempster. Pinch-hitter David Ross lined a single up the middle. Javier Valentin worked a 10-pitch walk, including five straight foul balls, and ran the bases full with no outs.

As the roar of the sellout crowd of 41,064 fans added to the drama, Ryan Freel walked on nine pitches that forced home a run. After the club made wins look almost routine the past several games, another victory seemed imminent.

"The way we've been playing, everybody knew we were going to win," Phillips said. "When Freel got on base, I said, 'Oh, it's over.'"

It would be soon, but not favorably for Cincinnati. Lopez ran a full count but was called out on strikes. Phillips sharply lined out to third base.

"One more inch and we win the ballgame," Dent said of Phillips' out to Ramirez.

Griffey grounded out to second base and it was game over, winning streak over.

Also over was the Reds' brief time alone on top of the National League Central standings. A Cardinals win put Cincinnati back into second place by a half-game.

"Look at all the mistakes that we had, maybe we shouldn't have been in that situation," said Freel, who replaced Kearns in right field. "You can't win them all. We've been playing well. We had one of those days that got away. We didn't capitalize on situations and got a loss out of it. That's what happens."
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060609&content_id=1497098&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

GridironGrace
06-10-2006, 05:18 AM
You know.. we cant win them all....

however we should be on a 9 game win streak right now.

Bases loaded with 0 outs and down by 1 after a run is walked home....thats kinda Pathitic..

Made me sick to think we can score 6+ runs almost everyday by just clobering pitchers.. yet we cant get ONE SAC FLY or ONE SAC HIT to get ONE STINKING RUN IN......

ONE RUN is all we HAD to have right there....... H-A-D to have.......Lopez Phillips and JR.........cmon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JR's swing in the dirt on the first pitch....he's better than that....Lopez K'd after a solid AB and a pop out by PHILLIPS?

gosh lol

You know i accept the loss, and we showed a VALAINT effort to get that win....but 0 outs.......bases juiced we HAVE to beable to get a run outta that..

Not to mention we gotta work on turning those 2B's or we won that game without batting in the 9th......

Practice for the next month should only consists of:

Batting Practice.
Simulated games for Closers and RP
Batting Practice

Sac fly/Sac hit practice.......
again
agian
again

DP turning... from ALL angles... gotta HAVE Those man....

btw is kearns ok?

Ltlabner
06-10-2006, 05:28 AM
A scoring chance was also missed in the Reds' sixth after pinch-hitter Ray Olmedo hit a leadoff double. Lopez followed with a single to right field but was held at third base by coach Mark Berry as Jacque Jones' throw came home. Brandon Phillips flied to right field but Olmedo was instructed to hold.

I admit this is arm-chair coaching, but I was at GABP last night and really thought Berry flubbed it up holding Olmedo from tagging on Brandon Phillips's flyout. He had a good jump off the bag to tag up, the ball was hit pretty deep to RF and ultimatley the throw was way off home plate. What were the chances of him throwing a complete bullet to home plate vs the chances of screwing up the throw? Maybe cyclone has some number on that? My gut feeling (and again, I admit it's my gut) is that the chance of him making that near-perfect throw are smaller. Since the Reds weren't getting many hits it's a risk I think worth taking for the run.

Another big factor was in the 2nd inning. An attempted bunt landed infront of RA at 3B and totally died. He made a fantastic play and his throw to 1B was dead on. The runner was called safe, but it was very close. On the replay Marty & Steve both said the call was blown and he was certinally out. The 2 runs that resulted, when the inning would have been over made a huge difference. But baseball is filled with bad calls, and sometimes that's the way it goes, I guess. In the end, they made enough mistakes of their own to sink themselves.

saboforthird
06-10-2006, 05:58 AM
I didn't get to watch the game, but it's funny because I told my wife "with my luck, if we get home in time to catch the last couple of innings the Reds will lose". :laugh: Phillips' right, you can't win them all. Still, I don't like that kind of attitude. If they don't start righting the ship, defensively, they won't come close to making the playoffs, either. Seems like the injury bug is starting to bite again, just when the offense was starting to crank up. Junior, now Kearns, EE, Sabo.....wait, he doesn't play anymore.

buckeyenut
06-10-2006, 05:59 AM
That ninth inning was something to watch.

Lopez was very disappointing to me. Horrible at bat. Dempster is struggling something fierce, having just walked a couple of guys and he swung at the first two pitches, both balls and essentially takes him off the hook.

Phillips, that ball was a flat out rocket he hit. It was just not his night. He hit some lasers last night and can about two inches from gloving a couple of spectacular liners of his own on defense.

Jr, disappointed there as well that he swung at a bad pitch on the first pitch, rather than being patient. But that happens.

all in all, I thought everything was lining up against us last night and we still almost pulled it out. That is one of those games you just look at and say it wasn't meant to be and move on. We still played very good baseball and could have won easily so I think we come out today and smack them around a little and start a new streak.

TeamBoone
06-10-2006, 10:23 AM
There was a bad call on Freel at first earlier in the game too. He was called out but was safe.

I know you can't win them all, but this game is one the Reds should have won.

I'm hoping the Cubs aren't the Reds "Brewers" this year. But then, I guess that would be ok because they paly them less often.

macro
06-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Last night's outcome in the ninth has gnawed at me all day long, and I don't remember the last time a Reds game did that to me. I think I could've forgotten it quicker if they'd just gone quietly in the ninth.

Yes, they play 162, so it's kinda crazy to get too worked up over just one, but the fact that it stopped a long winning streak kinda makes it more memorable. Many of us will probably remember that game several years from now. I just hope it doesn't lead to another streak...of the wrong kind.

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Last night's outcome in the ninth has gnawed at me all day long, and I don't remember the last time a Reds game did that to me. I think I could've forgotten it quicker if they'd just gone quietly in the ninth.

Yes, they play 162, so it's kinda crazy to get too worked up over just one, but the fact that it stopped a long winning streak kinda makes it more memorable. Many of us will probably remember that game several years from now. I just hope it doesn't lead to another streak...of the wrong kind.

Man, I feel the same exact way. I left for work last night around 9:30 having already accepted the fact that the Reds were down three runs and were going to lose. I get to work, call dad around 11:00 to get the final score and he describes exactly what happened. 6-5 game, bases loaded and 0 outs and three balls on Lopez...and they failed to score. I've been depressed ever since about this loss. A win tonight would go along way in helping me get over that loss...

Mean Machine
06-11-2006, 03:38 PM
How can you go from 8 wins in a row to losing the next three? Help me figure this out.

CTA513
06-11-2006, 03:43 PM
How can you go from 8 wins in a row to losing the next three? Help me figure this out.

Its the Reds being Reds.

:bang:

traderumor
06-11-2006, 03:55 PM
How can you go from 8 wins in a row to losing the next three? Help me figure this out.Not uncommon at all. A three game skid is only highlighted because of the unusual nature of an 8 game winning streak.

KronoRed
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM
It's baseball.

OldRightHander
06-11-2006, 03:57 PM

The other team scores more runs in three consecutive games.

reds44
06-11-2006, 04:08 PM
The sky is falling.

KronoRed
06-11-2006, 04:09 PM
The sky is falling
Voices crying out in desperation, Hear them calling
Everybody, save yourself

Red in Chicago
06-11-2006, 04:14 PM

even though it's not really a surprise, the reds were overdue to lose, while the cubs were overdue to win...unfortunately, this series should have been a split...

KronoRed
06-11-2006, 04:17 PM
12 days ago if someone had said we're gonna win 8 of 11 people would have been giddy

CTA513
06-11-2006, 04:18 PM
12 days ago if someone had said we're gonna win 8 of 11 people would have been giddy

Its good to win 8 of 11, I just dont see how you can sweep the Cardinals & Astros and lose 3 of 4 to the Cubs.

:help:

ryanparkersongs
06-11-2006, 04:19 PM
It is pretty disappointing, though, given the fact that the Reds were coming home in hopes of attracting a bigger crowd at the games, get the city behind them, etc. The losses the last couple of days with the Cubs fans making all the noise at the stadium were pretty embarrassing.

We had better get it together for this 3 game series with Milwaukee because we face some pretty good pitching with the White Sox coming to town this weekend.

KronoRed
Cubs suck so much they are good? ;)

flyer85
let's see, mainly a bad bullpen but it happens

It has highlighted the problem. The question is will/can Wayne do anything.

macro
06-11-2006, 04:35 PM
I just hope it doesn't lead to another streak...of the wrong kind.

Like I said...

blugrssblood
06-11-2006, 06:42 PM
And how do they give up a homerun to Tony Womack and Neifi Perez? Oh, and Ronnie Cedeno hit one too.

TeamBoone
06-11-2006, 07:56 PM
The Reds seem to win (and lose) in clumps; thankfully the loss clumps are less often than the win clumps.

The Cards pepper their wins/losses losses around; they lost 4 in a row in May.

CTA513
06-11-2006, 08:30 PM
And how do they give up a homerun to Tony Womack and Neifi Perez? Oh, and Ronnie Cedeno hit one too.

I guess teams must be saying the same thing when Arroyo hit his homerun or when Freel hit like 4 homeruns in a week.

Mean Machine
06-11-2006, 09:34 PM
I know we were due for a lose, but 3 in a row? The sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!