PDA

View Full Version : Notes from the park 6/9

flynn78
06-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Me and a buddy got the fever yesterday and went down to the park. We got a pair in the upper section behind the plate for $35. Not a bad markup. First time there and it was better than I expected. There was a good feeling in the stadium that stayed intact throughout. Talking with a bunch of fans as we were waiting in concession lines and the like (which were not horrible up top), people were not happy about being called out about the attendance recently. The feeling was that Cincinnati radio had challenged them and the sellout was their answer. I didn't have the heart to tell them that it was the Cubs fans that put us over the top. As for the Cubs fans, I have never had much of a problem with them, but our seats were in the middle of what appeared to be "Wrigleyville". They were okay, but annoying. We sat next to an older couple that got chased off in the 2nd by the foul mouthed Cubs fans in front of us. They were in from Illinois and obviously had some cold adult beverages. By the end of the game one kid was drooling and barely able to stand. It was your regular college trip, but they should have cut the vulgarity. We talked with the other fans around us and found them pretty good for Cubs fans. That is until we did some digging. As we were talking to them we found that they were mostly "Reds fans" with Cubs gear on. The thing I came away with is that there is a lot of Cubs gear that goes back into the closets of people in Cincinnati when they leave town. That is embarassing. The thing that got me the most was during the 7th inning stretch when singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" the Cubs fans took over saying Cubbies as loud as they could. Should not happen in your ballpark. Overall, it was a good day even though we lost. The mood and crowd weren't bad. Take out the result due to some some shoddy play, (don't get me started) and it was a good night at the park.

Unassisted
06-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Seems like the ushers should have been tipped off about the loutish behavior. That "older couple" will probably never come back to the ballpark. It would be far better to have the ushers encourage those drunk Cub fans to never come back.

flynn78
06-10-2006, 04:05 PM
They were regulars in the better seats down low, just got tickets late and they were not that good. The husband said that they had taken offense to Bill Cunningham's rants about attendance during his radio show. They will be back but not in the upper sections of the stadium.

CTA513
06-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Seems like the ushers should have been tipped off about the loutish behavior. That "older couple" will probably never come back to the ballpark. It would be far better to have the ushers encourage those drunk Cub fans to never come back.

I was at a Reds vs Nationals game and some guy kept on yelling and screaming at the Nationals players and security did nothing about it.
It was late in the game when security is down by the first row of seats, one security guy was sitting about 2 or 3 seats in front of the guy.

My guess is if you dont complain to security about it that they wont do anything to stop it.

:dunno: