PDA

View Full Version : MIA prospects.

cjtenn28
06-10-2006, 06:46 PM
What is the status with Chris Gruler, Thomas Pauly and Rafel Gonzalez? Why no reports or updates? I did read a while back the Gruler was given a shot to be back in Dayton in May, but he is still MIA. Are they inlisted in the CIA or Special Ops? J/K, but why so secret and hidden? Will we ever see any of the three on the mound with the Reds again?

Any updates or accurate projected timetable would be nice? Anyone?

HBP
06-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Not sure but I think Gruler is in Fla at extended spring training

IslandRed
06-10-2006, 07:06 PM
HBP's right, I think. If a guy is still in the organization but not on a current roster, he's probably in Sarasota rehabbing or working out. I'm not sure what they do with those guys when extended spring training ends and the short-season leagues begin, but they can probably keep rehabbing there.

Enigma
06-10-2006, 07:25 PM
A source told me that Pauly (who had shoulder surgery) had a setback with elbow pain. No word whether it turned out to be serious. That source didn't seem to think Gruler was very close yet either.

dougdirt
06-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Rafael Gonzalez I believe is dealing with "personal issues". Gruler is in Extended ST.

knuckler
06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
What about Wirfin Obispo? He was hyped before the season but then disappeared. Hanging out in Sarasota waiting for Billings to start up?

dougdirt
06-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Wirfin still has not gotten his Visa to play in this country. Until he does, he will not be playing here. Something has been holding it back, someone will remember it more clearly but I remember something involving a wife?

cjtenn28
06-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Found some info in Gruler and Pauly. Minor surgeries to clean out their shoulder joints.

Nice time line of their tragic careers so far.

http://allstar.rotoworld.com/scb/lm/reports/player.asp?Sport=BB&leaguenum=7586&X=0&Y=9033

http://www.redreporter.com/story/2005/5/9/132151/6511

DBFROMNVA
06-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Today's Billings newspaper dropped a few names on this years roster and Gonzalez name was included.

Az. Reds Fan
06-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Found some info in Gruler and Pauly. Minor surgeries to clean out their shoulder joints.

Nice time line of their tragic careers so far.

http://allstar.rotoworld.com/scb/lm/reports/player.asp?Sport=BB&leaguenum=7586&X=0&Y=9033

http://www.redreporter.com/story/2005/5/9/132151/6511

FYI, these articles are from last year, hopefully they have recovered from those surgeries

OnBaseMachine
06-16-2006, 08:44 PM
The biggest news ever

You ask, we try to deliver. A few days ago, you may recall, several commenters went a little nutty demanding updates on erstwhile pitching prospects Rafael Gonzalez, Chris Gruler and Thomas Pauly. Thanks to the great and powerful Grant Griesser, assistant farm director, we have the following for you:

Gonzalez is in Billings and will be part of the Mustangs' rotation. He's still throwing 95 mph heat.

Gruler has faced some hitters in Sarasota and will see some action with the Gulf Coast League team when it begins play next week.

Pauly is continuing to rehab in Sarasota on a daily basis. He may be back at some point this year.

You may all resume your normal, everyday lives.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2006/06/biggest-news-ever.asp#comments

cjtenn28
06-18-2006, 02:48 PM
The biggest news ever

You ask, we try to deliver. A few days ago, you may recall, several commenters went a little nutty demanding updates on erstwhile pitching prospects Rafael Gonzalez, Chris Gruler and Thomas Pauly. Thanks to the great and powerful Grant Griesser, assistant farm director, we have the following for you:

Gonzalez is in Billings and will be part of the Mustangs' rotation. He's still throwing 95 mph heat.

Gruler has faced some hitters in Sarasota and will see some action with the Gulf Coast League team when it begins play next week.

Pauly is continuing to rehab in Sarasota on a daily basis. He may be back at some point this year.

You may all resume your normal, everyday lives.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2006/06/biggest-news-ever.asp#comments

OBM,

Thanks for the update. You the man

saboforthird
06-18-2006, 11:22 PM
What about Wirfin Obispo? He was hyped before the season but then disappeared. Hanging out in Sarasota waiting for Billings to start up?

I must be dyslexic. At first glance it looked like "Oprah Winfrey" (Wirfin Obispo). :laugh:

NewEraReds
06-19-2006, 04:33 PM
i like keeping gonzalez in the rotation so he can work on all his pitches and get innings. but he is someone i have always thought would become a relief pitcher who threw 95-97

Redmachine2003
06-19-2006, 05:04 PM
i like keeping gonzalez in the rotation so he can work on all his pitches and get innings. but he is someone i have always thought would become a relief pitcher who through 95-97
He was said to have the second best stuff for the Reds behind Homer. So if he has learn how important staying is shape is then leave him in the rotation.

NewEraReds
06-19-2006, 05:36 PM
apparently you havent seen our pen lately. im not saying you move all your best arms to the pen, but we could use one or 2 guys who can actually throw down there. we have ZERO power arms in the pen, outside of coffey who throws 93-95. look at the white sox, they brought in a lefty on friday who sat at 96-97 then brought jenks in who never went below 97.

dougdirt
06-19-2006, 05:39 PM
apparently you havent seen our pen lately. im not saying you move all your best arms to the pen, but we could use one or 2 guys who can actually throw down there. we have ZERO power arms in the pen, outside of coffey who throws 93-95. look at the white sox, they brought in a lefty on friday who sat at 96-97 then brought jenks in who never went below 97.

Even if he were to move to the pen right now, he still wouldnt be close to helping the Reds out of the bullpen for 3 years.

NewEraReds
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Even if he were to move to the pen right now, he still wouldnt be close to helping the Reds out of the bullpen for 3 years.
first, i never said to move him to the pen. i just said i thought thats where he would end up, thats what i envisioned. and i dont care when he helps, we just need to develop power arms, both as starters and for the pen. im sick of seeing all these teams trot out guys throwing 96 plus and we have one guy who throws over 92(yan doesnt count :))

cincyinco
06-19-2006, 06:15 PM
In my mind you keep all your guys with potential starter ability as starters. If they can't hack it there, THATS when you move em to the pen...

Gonzalez should start. Glad to hear he's back, was very puzzled by his absence...

NewEraReds
06-19-2006, 06:54 PM
In my mind you keep all your guys with potential starter ability as starters. If they can't hack it there, THATS when you move em to the pen...

Gonzalez should start. Glad to hear he's back, was very puzzled by his absence...
read my original post, thats what i said

cincyinco
06-19-2006, 07:24 PM
read my original post, thats what i said

I did newera, and i must have misunderstood your post.

NewEraReds
06-20-2006, 01:48 PM
i like keeping gonzalez in the rotation so he can work on all his pitches and get innings. but he is someone i have always thought would become a relief pitcher who threw 95-97.

i said, keep him in the rotation. but he is a pitcher i "THOUGHT" would "BECOME" a relief pitcher.

:)