PDA

View Full Version : Quiz: You be the scorekeeper

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 08:17 AM
This is from the Louisville Courier-Journal from yesterday. There are a couple easy ones and a couple not so easy. I'll post the answers later.

The quiz: Think you could be an official scorer?

Think you could be an official scorer? Break out your pencil and test your baseball knowledge with the following quiz:

1. A starting pitcher exits the game after four innings with his team up 4-0. Five different relievers each throw one scoreless inning to finish the game. Which pitcher is credited with the victory?

2. After a pitcher gets the first two outs in an inning, a batter reaches safely on an error. A relief pitcher then comes in and promptly serves up a two-run homer. Which runs, if any, are earned and against which pitcher?

3. A starting pitcher gets one out in the inning before the next batter singles. A reliever comes in, and the next batter reaches on a fielder's choice, while the original runner is thrown out at second. The next batter doubles and drives in the runner from first. Which pitcher is charged with the earned run?

4. With runners on first and third and one out, a batter hits a slow ground ball to the shortstop. The fielder holds on to the ball, making sure the runner doesn't break from third. He then throws to second base, too late to get the runner there. The runner at third then breaks for home on the throw and scores on the play. How is this play scored?

5. With a runner at first, the hitter singles to right field. The runner goes to third on the play but forgets to touch second base on his way there. The fielding team successfully appeals the play. How is this scored?

6. A batter hits the ball into the outfield and tries to stretch it into a double. He beats the throw easily, but while sliding into second base, his momentum carries him past the bag. The alert shortstop tags him out. What type of hit does the batter receive?

7. With a runner on third base and less than two out, a batter lifts a deep fly ball into outfield foul territory. The outfielder, not wanting the runner at third to tag up and score, decides to let the ball drop rather than catch it. Smart play, but is it an error?

8. It's the bottom of the ninth inning, and the score is tied with the bases loaded. The batter lifts a fly ball over the head of the drawn-in center fielder. As the losing team walks toward the dugout, all the runners circle the bases and cross the plate. How is this scored?

9. A starting pitcher is behind in the count two balls and one strike when he feels a twinge in his elbow and leaves the game. A relief pitcher comes in and throws two more balls. Which pitcher is charged with the walk?

10. True or False: A fielder cannot be charged with an error if he never touches the ball on a play.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060612&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=606120403&SectionCat=&Template=printart

oneupper
06-13-2006, 08:29 AM
OK...I'll take a stab at it, but probably be wrong:

1. Scorer's choice. Scorer choses who gets the win.
2. Pitcher 1: 0ER, Pitcher 2, 1ER
3. Starting pitcher gets the ER
4. Fielder's choice no hit recorded
5. Force out..no hit recorded
6. Batter gets a double, since he safely made it to second
7. No error
8. Single..game over when 1st run scores
9. Starting pitcher gets the BB, had two balls and behind in count (if one, its releiver, IIRC).
10. False...don't ask me why, I guess because George Grande always says the opposite.

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 08:33 AM
On #4, would you award an RBI?

(I'll post the answers around lunchtime, perhaps.)

Heath
06-13-2006, 08:44 AM
There used to be something on This Week In Baseball that Mel Allen would show a video clip and "You Make The Call".

oneupper
06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
On #4, would you award an RBI?

(I'll post the answers around lunchtime, perhaps.)
'

I'd say no...since the runner is scoring on the throw to second and not as a result of the batted ball. Kind of like when runners advance on a throw to home. But that is just a guess.

MississippiRed
06-13-2006, 09:38 AM
OK...I'll take a stab at it, but probably be wrong:

1. Scorer's choice. Scorer choses who gets the win.
2. Pitcher 1: 0ER, Pitcher 2, 1ER
3. Starting pitcher gets the ER
4. Fielder's choice no hit recorded
5. Force out..no hit recorded
6. Batter gets a double, since he safely made it to second
7. No error
8. Single..game over when 1st run scores
9. Starting pitcher gets the BB, had two balls and behind in count (if one, its releiver, IIRC).
10. False...don't ask me why, I guess because George Grande always says the opposite.

1. agree
2. no earned runs, both are charged with 1 unearned
3. relief pitcher gets the run
4. FC for the batter; I have to give the SS an error, no RBI
5. agree, sucks for the batter, though (Had this happen on my travel team last year, slow runner on first, batter lines one to CF, force out at 2B, no hit)
6. I agree, but what do you score then? Caught stealing?
7. agree because the ball is foul
8. agree
9. agree
10. True

Fun quiz!

Danny Serafini
06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Here's my shot at it:

1. I believe it goes to whichever reliever the scorer feels was most instumental in the win (scorer's choice).

2. I think both runs are unearned, since there were already two outs.

3. The reliever, since it's his runner on base.

4. Single and an RBI, but I'm not overly confident on this one.

5. I'd still give the batter a single. I wouldn't rule force out or fielder's choice on that because it's a baserunning mistake.

6. Double.

7. No, since he didn't touch it or make a real attempt at catching it.

8. Single, only the first runs scores.

9. The reliever. Or the starter. But I'll say reliever.

10. False, although it seems sort of rare for an error to be charged in that situation, it can be.

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Hint #2 is very tricky. No one has gotten it exactly right yet.

MrCinatit
06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
i'll disqualify myself, since i peaked - but i did rather well...well enough for a welcome to the show.

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, since you peeked... here are the answers for everyone else.

QUIZ ANSWERS
1. The official scorer can award the victory to the reliever he deems has pitched the most effectively. (Rule 10.19c) In this case, Bats scorer Ken Horn said he would give the win to whomever finished the fifth inning.
2. The starting pitcher is charged with one unearned run, while the relief pitcher, who cannot benefit from an error committed before he enters the game, is charged with one earned run. The runs are not earned against the team, however. (Rule 10.18i)
3. The starting pitcher. He cannot benefit from a fielder's choice after he exits the game because he is on the hook for the amount of runners he left on base, not individual runners. (Rule 10.18g)
4. Everyone is safe on a fielder's choice. Fielders cannot be penalized for mental errors or slow handling. It's up to the scorer's discretion whether to award an RBI on the play. (Rule 10.04d)
5. The runner is out at second on a force out, and the batter is not credited with a hit. (Rule 10.06b).
6. The batter is awarded a single. (Rule 10.07c)
7. There is no error on the play. (Rule 10.14e).
8. By rule, the batter is awarded a single, and only the winning run from third base counts (Rule 10.07g). The exception to this rule is if a batter hits an out-of-the-park home run.
9. The walk is charged to the original pitcher when he leaves the game with the count in favor of the hitter, with the exception of a 1-0 count (Rule 10.18h).
10. False (Rule 10.13).

How did you do?
1-3: correct answers: Proceed to rookie ball.
4-6: Good enough for Double-A.
7-9: You're in The Show, kid.
10: Welcome to Cooperstown.

TOBTTReds
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
For #10, see Bill Buckner

Roy Tucker
06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
I got them all except #10. I was thinking about missed pop-ups and not grounders.

In general, scorekeepers seem to be pretty lenient these days about ruling hits (if there is any doubt, make it a hit) and errors (that not-touched pop-up doesn't get scored an error much these days).

ERRORS
NOTE (2) It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error. If a ground ball goes through a fielder’s legs or a pop fly falls untouched and in the scorer’s judgment the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, an error shall be charged.

traderumor
06-13-2006, 01:15 PM
7 out of 10. So where do I report?

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 01:21 PM
I missed #2. I would not have given the reliever an earned run and I didn't know you could give one to a player and not the team.

traderumor
06-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I missed #2. I would not have given the reliever an earned run and I didn't know you could give one to a player and not the team.
I recall that rule now and missed it as well, but I do not agree with it. I would argue that the hitter would not have made it to the plate were it not for the error, so the reliever would not have been needed until, at the earliest, the next inning with no one on base, which is a different situation than the error gave rise to.

Redsland
06-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I would argue that the hitter would not have made it to the plate were it not for the error, so the reliever would not have been needed until, at the earliest, the next inning with no one on base, which is a different situation than the error gave rise to.
I agree with you.

Here we've got a rule that says the reliever cannot benefit from an error that occurred before he entered the game, but other scoring rules say he can benefit from other things that happened before he entered the game; for example when he gets a Hold or a Save due to the score and/or number of baserunners he inherits.

It's inconsistent.

traderumor
06-13-2006, 02:51 PM
I agree with you.

Here we've got a rule that says the reliever cannot benefit from an error that occurred before he entered the game, but other scoring rules say he can benefit from other things that happened before he entered the game; for example when he gets a Hold or a Save due to the score and/or number of baserunners he inherits.

It's inconsistent.And don't get me started on charging inherited runners to the preceding pitcher with the reliever not taking any hit to the major stat lines. In fact, a reliever can get a win if he gives up a lead when his team comes back while he's "the pitcher of record." Of course, these work in favor of the reliever, maybe the above is to balance out the inherited runners problem.

Roy Tucker
06-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I only got #2 because that circumstance came up in a game a few weeks back (error with 2 outs and then a reliever game up a 2 run HR).

The ESPN gametracker made it an earned run and I thought it was a mistake. But then, the next day, the official boxscore had it as an earned run. I dug through the official rules and found 10.18i.

It's goofy because its an earned run against the reliever but not against the team.

Spitball
06-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Here a link to several pretty good online Cincinnati Reds quizzes:

http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/sports/mlb_teams/cincinnati_reds.html

Caution: May be addictive. I spent way too much time taking these quizzes.

oneupper
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
I think I got them all right...with exception of the the RBI on #4 which was scorer's choice (and I didn't give it to him).

Nice quiz davu...thanx.

Now, what do I win?

dabvu2498
06-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Now, what do I win?
"A laurel and hearty handshake." -- From what movie???

boognish
06-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I only got #2 because that circumstance came up in a game a few weeks back (error with 2 outs and then a reliever game up a 2 run HR).

The ESPN gametracker made it an earned run and I thought it was a mistake. But then, the next day, the official boxscore had it as an earned run. I dug through the official rules and found 10.18i.

It's goofy because its an earned run against the reliever but not against the team.

I did the same...I missed 1 and 5.

traderumor
06-13-2006, 04:28 PM
I think I got them all right...with exception of the the RBI on #4 which was scorer's choice (and I didn't give it to him).

Nice quiz davu...thanx.

Now, what do I win?Yea, that was tricky, and I gave him the RBI, but he really scored by "stealing" home. I can see both ways on that one.