PDA

View Full Version : Dean Taylor hired by Royals

Joseph
06-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Per 1360.

Dean Taylor was hired as assistant GM and VP for the Kansas City Royals, leaving the Reds.

More to come.

Joseph
06-13-2006, 11:52 AM
KANSAS CITY -- Royals Senior Vice President-Baseball Operations/General Manager Dayton Moore announced Tuesday the hiring of Dean Taylor as Vice President-Baseball Operations/Assistant General Manager.

Taylor, 54, joins the Royals after serving as the assistant general manager of the Cincinnati Reds since Dec. 22, 2003. Taylor is no stranger to the Royals organization as he began his Major League career in Kansas City and was a key part in the Royals post- season success from 1981-89.

"I'm very excited in Dean's decision to return to the Kansas City Royals," Moore said. "He is a highly skilled executive with vast knowledge of baseball operations."

"It's an honor to return to the Royals and have an opportunity to work closely with Dayton Moore," Taylor said. "I believe ownership is committed to building a winning club, and there's no reason we cannot return the Royals to the status they enjoyed in the late '70s and '80s as one of the finest organizations in baseball."

Moore also named Muzzy Jackson Vice President-Player Personnel/Assistant General Manger. Jackson, who is in his 15th season of professional baseball, has been assistant general manager of the Royals since 1999 and was promoted to Vice President-Baseball Operations on Oct. 31, 2003.

"Muzzy's in-depth knowledge of our entire system makes him a perfect fit for this position," Moore said. "I feel the combination of Muzzy and Dean's 46 years of professional baseball experience will allow us to strengthen our baseball operations department for the future."

Taylor brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Royals as he is in his 31st year of professional baseball. He served as Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Milwaukee Brewers from 2000-02 and spent the 2003 season as a consultant with the Los Angeles Dodgers, scouting Major League players and evaluating the minor league operations.

Prior to his stint in Milwaukee, Taylor spent nine seasons as the Atlanta Braves Assistant General Manager under John Schuerholz and contributed to eight consecutive National League Eastern Division titles and the 1995 World Series Championship. While with the Braves, he was responsible for player contract negotiations and overseeing the day-to-day administrative duties related to Major League personnel while working closely with the scouting and player development departments.

Taylor began his baseball career as a minor league general manager for four seasons and served as general manager of the Reds Northwest League affiliate in Eugene, Ore., during the 1979 and 1980 seasons.

He joined the Royals front office in 1981 as an administrative assistant in the minor league department and a year later was named Royals Assistant Director of Scouting and Player Development. Following the Royals world championship season in 1985, he was promoted to Assistant to the General Manager under Schuerholz. He remained in that position until 1990, when he was hired by Major League Baseball as Manager of Baseball Operations in the Commissioner's Office.

During his tenure as the Brewers general manager, he also served as Chairman of MLB.s Rules and Administration committee.

Taylor was born in Brawley, Calif., and graduated from Claremont Men's College (Calif.) in 1973 with a bachelor's degree in economics and from Ohio University in 1975 with a master's degree in sports administration. He was named the 2001 Distinguished Alumnus of the Ohio University Sports Administration Program.

Taylor and his wife Susan, who is a Kansas City native, will relocate to the Kansas City area. He has one son, Colby.
print this page

Chip R
06-13-2006, 11:52 AM
How will we survive? ;)

Joseph
06-13-2006, 11:54 AM
In Reds front office transactions today, Director of Baseball Administration Bob Miller has been promoted to Assistant General Manager, and Special Assistant to the GM/Baseball Operations Dick Williams has been named Director of Baseball Business Operations.

Joseph
06-13-2006, 11:54 AM
How will we survive? ;)

I have no idea! Oh woe is us. ;)

Team Clark
06-13-2006, 12:28 PM
There is joy in Mudville. I have already heard through the grapevine how estactic Krivsky is to unload Dean. Thank you Dayton Moore!!!!!!!

Heath
06-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Go figure - Taylor's leaving for Kansas City.

Oh, the irony.

BTW, pardon my FO ignorance, who IS Bob Miller?

traderumor
06-13-2006, 01:06 PM
There is joy in Mudville. I have already heard through the grapevine how estactic Krivsky is to unload Dean. Thank you Dayton Moore!!!!!!!
He was the Executive to Be Named Later (ETBNL) to complete the Joe Mays deal.

cumberlandreds
06-13-2006, 01:09 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

paulrichjr
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Did he really do that bad? I thought he was in charge of the draft and my most accounts last years draft was the best in years.

Joseph
06-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I think that Terry Reynolds was in charge of the draft prior to this year. I could be wrong though.

redsmetz
06-13-2006, 04:07 PM
BTW, pardon my FO ignorance, who IS Bob Miller?

From an ESPN story back in February (same story which talked about signing Hatteberg:

The Reds hired Bob Miller from the Arizona Diamondbacks as director of baseball administration. They also hired Scott Nethery from the New York Mets as a special assistant for player personnel.

Miller was with Arizona for the last seven years, as director of baseball operations and as assistant general manager. Nethery was with Atlanta for 13 years, and was a special assistant with the Mets last season.

"Bob is a real experienced guy in terms of administration and rules, and has significant experience in player development," Krivsky said. "He's worn three or four different hats.

Team Clark
06-13-2006, 04:16 PM

That is hilarious. I just e-mailed your quote to our front office staff. Thanks for the laugh.

traderumor
06-13-2006, 04:18 PM
"Bob is a real experienced guy in terms of administration and rules, and has significant experience in player development," Krivsky said. "He's worn three or four different hats.Administration, rules and player development. No wonder Tim Naehring was reassigned :p:

traderumor
06-13-2006, 04:20 PM
That is hilarious. I just e-mailed your quote to our front office staff. Thanks for the laugh.Much obliged. You just don't get a Joe Mays and not have to give up something. Now, if someone will just take my suggestion to make Ryan Wagner the PTBNL for Brandon Phillips, I'll really be on a roll.

Krusty
06-13-2006, 04:20 PM
It is only a matter of time before Terry Reynolds leaves the organization. With Chris Buckley running the scouting department, Reynolds is the odd man out.

wheels
06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Thank goodness.

Taylor's plot to ruin the franchise has come to a halt.

Joseph
06-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Didn't the Brewers start to get better as soon as he left?

wheels
06-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Didn't the Brewers start to get better as soon as he left?

Yup.

The guy's a one man wrecking crew, but somehow, he had the ear of Dan O'Brien, and a lot of the more mind numbingly stupid moves of the previous regime can be directly linked to him.

I can't believe that he wasn't a part of Castellini's purge.

cincinnati chili
06-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. So I'm not going to go dance a jig or anything. When he was Ass. GM in Atlanta, the results were just fine. But like most of you above, I'm skeptical of his abilities to evaluate players based on his personnel decisions in Milwaukee.

wheels
06-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. So I'm not going to go dance a jig or anything. When he was Ass. GM in Atlanta, the results were just fine. But like most of you above, I'm skeptical of his abilities to evaluate players based on his personnel decisions in Milwaukee.

Maybe so, but I've heard things from people that were within earshot of him during the Milton signing and he was the major voice behind it all.

jmcclain19
06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
just keep using that broom on the front office staff Krivsky

http://llamabutchers.mu.nu/broom.jpg

Heath
06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Upon further review, Dayton Moore realizes he needs a drinking buddy.

Heath
06-13-2006, 11:02 PM

Not only he needs that, he needs some of this -

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/225060_front200.jpg

and maybe this guy to get the tough stains out.

http://www.lions-share-ent.com/Images/billy_oxyclean.jpg

(BTW - the guy above, Billy Mays, is not related to Joe Mays, and the jokes that were in my head are coming too fast to type out. )

KronoRed
06-13-2006, 11:03 PM

The Brewers are bringing one by tomorrow :help:

traderumor
06-13-2006, 11:35 PM
he had the ear of Dan O'Brienand Mike Tyson had the ear of Holyfield, but that wasn't exactly a good thing :p:

wheels
06-14-2006, 12:28 AM
and Mike Tyson had the ear of Holyfield, but that wasn't exactly a good thing :p:

....Chirp!

......Chirp!

(Those are crickets, btw...)

:laugh:

Team Clark
06-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Yup.

The guy's a one man wrecking crew, but somehow, he had the ear of Dan O'Brien, and a lot of the more mind numbingly stupid moves of the previous regime can be directly linked to him.

I can't believe that he wasn't a part of Castellini's purge.

I was home in Cincy today and I heard Taylor on Fuhrman. I was astonished at the amount of credit he was trying to take for the Brewers recent success. He hung onto Schuerholz's coat tails long enough to land a GM job, blew it, and now acts like he is some sort of saviour. If Dean only knew what a laughing stock he really is....

Heading to Hotlanta to evaluate the Braves and then the Blue Jays when the roll into ATL. I was just telling a story about an advance scout that argued quite vehemently with me a few years ago about Chris Reitsma. Reitsma, who has an outstanding changeup was on a roll as a starter a few years back. This paricular scout swore up and down that Reitsma had a "splitter" not a changeup. I knew Chris, knew his coaches and knew that he did not throw a splitty. This guy went bananas when corrected. Just makes you wonder sometimes if the "good ol' boys club" is always a good thing.

traderumor
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
....Chirp!

......Chirp!

(Those are crickets, btw...)

:laugh:Hey, some of my analogies/wisecracks have received dumbfounced silence on more than one occassion (did he just say what I think he said???). I've always had a knack for saying what others are thinking but are afraid to say...or something like that.