PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a Sox fan.

chisox05
06-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Just stopping by to say hello. I'm pretty excited about the upcoming series this weekend, should be three hard-fought battles. I'll be at all three games, first time in Cincy...anything I should check out in the city and at the park?

Just wanted to say hello, and wish you guys luck, so good luck and may the best team win.

Wheelhouse
06-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Wow. You South Siders have mellowed since winning the World Series...

chisox05
06-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Wow. You South Siders have mellowed since winning the World Series...

Not really sure what that's supposed to mean, but okay...:confused:

SandyD
06-16-2006, 12:28 AM
My boyfriend is a ChiSox fan, and we have a pizza riding on the outcome of the series. (We both eat. Loser buys.) :D

reds44
06-16-2006, 12:31 AM
My brother is a Sox fan and we will be at Saturday's game as well.

God I hope there aren't as many of you as there are Cubs fans.

OldRightHander
06-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Just wanted to say hello, and wish you guys luck, so good luck and may the best team win.

Actually, I hope the Reds pull it off, but I appreciate the sentiment.

chisox05
06-16-2006, 12:33 AM
My brother is a Sox fan and we will be at Saturday's game as well.

God I hope there aren't as many of you as there are Cubs fans.

Quite a few Sox fans are coming, but believe me, we're not like Cubs fans. Sox fans and Cubs fans are like night and day. We hate Cubs fans (and the Cubs for that matter) more than any other team's fans, and I can guarantee that.

toledodan
06-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Quite a few Sox fans are coming, but believe me, we're not like Cubs fans. Sox fans and Cubs fans are like night and day. We hate Cubs fans (and the Cubs for that matter) more than any other team's fans, and I can guarantee that.

i think its fair to say we hate the cub fans as well.:D

welcome to the site and best of luck!:beerme: :beerme: :beerme:

TC81190
06-16-2006, 12:48 AM
We hate Cubs fans (and the Cubs for that matter) more than any other team's fans, and I can guarantee that.

I see we have things in common. I think you'll do just fine, Mr. chisox05, just fine...

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Welcome fan of a classy Chicago team :D

TC81190
06-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Welcome fan of a competitive Chicago team :D

Fixed.

Outshined_One
06-16-2006, 01:04 AM

I can vouch for this statement speaking as a member of the day contingent. :D

You'll be happy to know that the Cubs are starting Glendon Rusch tomorrow against the Tigers, plus Barrett's suspension appeal will be decided by tomorrow.

tripleaaaron
06-16-2006, 02:14 AM
as for things to check out, the reds HOF, has a perfect exhibit for you, (unless it somehow is a sensitive subject) the 1919 World Series exhibit, with detail on the scandals (from a reds perspective of course) and you can visit the hall for only $5 before the game if you show them your ticket for that day, if you like adventure, the Purple People Bridge just opened a bridge climb today, and then you can walk the bridge to Newport and check out the Levee if you have children or like fish, there is a wonderful aquarium, Comedy club, (which is featuring Charlie Murphy this weekend, if you can get tickets) shopping and bars. there is also the Freedom Center, which shows the Underground railroads a block from the stadium. And as for bars, hit up Main Strauss in Covington (Ky), across the other bridges, or hit up Gameday, a good sports bar (but strong local ties, but just express your hatred for the Cubbies and you will fit in anywhere)

MrCinatit
06-16-2006, 07:48 AM

So do we.
So do many other fans of other ballclubs.
In fact, I believe every baseball fan in existence hates, Cubs fans - with the possible exception of some Cubs fans.

Wheelhouse
06-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Not really sure what that's supposed to mean, but okay...:confused:

Just ribbing. I'm glad the suffering ended in 2005.:)

RFS62
06-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Welcome chisox05!!!!

All Cubs haters are welcome here!!!!

It's as natural as breathing.

Heath
06-16-2006, 08:33 AM
I vouch for the southsiders. This ought to be fun this weekend.

I've been over at soxtalk.com asking some questions and answering a few about tailgating and watering holes and the such. They have bullpen problems like us but they have a solid 8 on the field. I'm highly impressed they aren't like other AL teams who play in NL parks and complaining about not using a DH. You'll see Konerko at 1b Friday/Sat with possibly Thome at 1b on Sunday.

BuckWoody
06-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Welcome and good luck this weekend. It'll be nice to have some non-meathead Chicago baseball fans in town for a change. :thumbup:

I'll be there Saturday night wearing my Edd Roush jersey. ;)

Sweetstop
06-16-2006, 09:37 AM
My daughter and son-in-law live in the middle of Cubdom (north Chicago off Addison) and both work for the Cub owners, but they are diehard Sox Fans (have been for years, btw) w/ partial season tickets. So, I KNOW the Sox have terrific fans.

Should be a great series!

vaticanplum
06-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I wanted to go to this series so badly. I have a feeling that it is going to be a great few games. Meh. I'm going to see the Tigers play the Cubs on Saturday, and I plan on getting extremely drunk, which is the only way I can handle sitting in the bleachers there (fight fire with fire, etc.)

Yachtzee
06-16-2006, 10:51 AM
I wanted to go to this series so badly. I have a feeling that it is going to be a great few games. Meh. I'm going to see the Tigers play the Cubs on Saturday, and I plan on getting extremely drunk, which is the only way I can handle sitting in the bleachers there (fight fire with fire, etc.)

And throw in a "Root, root, root for the Redlegs" during the 7th Inning Stretch like I used to! ;)

vaticanplum
06-16-2006, 11:00 AM
And throw in a "Root, root, root for the Redlegs" during the 7th Inning Stretch like I used to! ;)

Yeah, who needs an intact face anyway? So overrated. ;)

Yachtzee
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah, who needs an intact face anyway? So overrated. ;)

Just point the other way and yell, "Hey, is that guy giving away free Old Style?" and make your way to another section. ;)

BoydsOfSummer
06-16-2006, 01:18 PM
I plan on getting extremely drunk, which is the only way I can handle sitting in the bleachers there (fight fire with fire, etc.)

Fat,drunk and a Cubs fan is no way to go through life.:devil:

chisox05
06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I can vouch for this statement speaking as a member of the day contingent. :D

You'll be happy to know that the Cubs are starting Glendon Rusch tomorrow against the Tigers, plus Barrett's suspension appeal will be decided by tomorrow.

Yeah, I don't expect much from them anyway. Maybe they can pull off a lucky one and help us out just a little, I'm not counting on it though. Prior is supposedly going to be out there Sunday, we'll see.

The Reds defense really screwed it up for us a few weeks ago. You guys could have easily taken that series against the Tigers.

Chip R
06-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Fat,drunk and a Cubs fan is no way to go through life.:devil:

That's redundant.

chisox05
06-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Just ribbing. I'm glad the suffering ended in 2005.:)

And may the Flubs suffering go on for another century. :)

chisox05
06-16-2006, 02:59 PM
I haven't seen much of you guys, only the standings (which have really surprised me). What do you think your chances are that you can come out as NL Champions. A Sox-Reds World Series would kill the national media, I'd like to see that.

Redsland
06-16-2006, 03:01 PM
We need to field the ball a little better and pitch a little better in the later innings before we can start to lay claim to the pennant. But there's a lot to like about this club.

BuckWoody
06-16-2006, 03:11 PM
I haven't seen much of you guys, only the standings (which have really surprised me). What do you think your chances are that you can come out as NL Champions. A Sox-Reds World Series would kill the national media, I'd like to see that.
Like Redsland said, we can't field very well and our bullpen is a mess, but our starting pitching has been decent and we can definitely rake. We're still missing a few pieces before we can start talking pennant.

vaticanplum
06-16-2006, 03:31 PM
A Sox-Reds World Series would kill the national media, I'd like to see that.

:eek:

That never occurred to me. Shows you how much faith I have in my team.

We have the worst bullpen in the history of baseball. If we're up by anything less than four runs when the bullpen comes in, I start to cry. Apart from that we range from not bad to awesome in every other area. This is the simplest rundown I can give you, but a pretty accurate one I think.

KittyDuran
06-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Well, I'm heading down to GABP...getting off early for work since half of the staff is on the golf course. I'll be in the $5 (if still available) seats wearing my RedsZone t-shirt and Dragons hat. :beerme:

Sean_CaseyRules
06-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Welcome fan of a classy Chicago team :D

It should read "Welcome fan of THE classy Chicago team" lol

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 05:35 PM
The Bears seem somewhat classy ;)

Heath
06-16-2006, 05:49 PM
The Bears seem somewhat classy ;)

Yea, but they can't dance.

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 05:51 PM
But they can rap

Heath
06-16-2006, 05:56 PM
But they can rap

They "bearly" can shuffle....

Matt700wlw
06-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Until proven otherwise, I will refer to the visiting Sox fans as fans, and not "fans" like I do with Cubs "fans" who intrude GABP

:D

RedEye
06-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Just stopping by to say hello. I'm pretty excited about the upcoming series this weekend, should be three hard-fought battles. I'll be at all three games, first time in Cincy...anything I should check out in the city and at the park?

Ever eat Cincinnati Chili? I don't live in Ohio anymore, but every time I go home, I have to stop at Skyline. Seems to go really well with Reds baseball... and perhaps Reds-White Sox baseball as well. :)

Heath
06-16-2006, 06:23 PM
They had redszone t-shirts? ah, the newbies miss all the cool stuff......

top6
06-16-2006, 06:27 PM
welcome. Sox are my favorite team outside of the Reds.

And Reds fans, trust me. You may think you hate the Cubs, but you don't hate them nearly as much as Sox fans. The hatred for the Cubs runs deep on the South Side of Chicago, and that is why, as someone forced by fate to live in the middle of Cubdom, I have a deep affinity for Sox fans.

That said, go Reds.

KronoRed
06-16-2006, 06:36 PM

I have one :D

The Reds never win when I wear it

I don't wear it often

chisox05
06-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I had a great time at the game tonight, probably more than some of you. :D

The Great American Ballpark says it right in it's name, it's a great park. I haven't heard much about it, it's definately underrated. I love the sights and the setting, just an all around great park. Wasn't too bad watching a White Sox winner either. ;)

Tell me some about Milton, how's he fared this year? The Sox have, argulably, the best pitcher since August of last year, going tomorrow. He's kept that momentum from last year and brought it into this year, and has 15 straight wins. He's also coming off probably the best start of the year, he had great stuff and was hitting his spots against a good Rangers team; struck out a career-high 11.

Redsland
06-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Milton has been a pleasant surprise this year. Last year he lost 15 games and probably should have lost 35. He was at the very bottom of most major pitching stats. A degenerative knee condition was blamed, which probably meant we were going to see more of the same this year. Instead, he's been largely effective, if unspectacular. He did have a short stint on the DL earlier in the season, and personally, I'm waiting for the other knee, er, shoe to drop.

KittyDuran
06-17-2006, 03:05 PM
I have one :D

The Reds never win when I wear it

I don't wear it oftenYeah, it's the extra one I sold to you last year... [you wimp!] :D

KittyDuran
06-17-2006, 03:09 PM

:DProbably will be looking at a new design next year - the last version was open to all 'zoners to come up with the winning design - IIRC, woy's creation won out. I have all three versions of the shirts, but alas, no extras. :(

KittyDuran
06-17-2006, 03:15 PM

:DOh! here's the logo... and it was by woy. :thumbup:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2305&d=1109816914

Heath
06-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Oh! here's the logo... and it was by woy. :thumbup:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2305&d=1109816914

I'd still wear a t-shirt of woy's baseball minutae site - its's got a catchy motto.

That would look good on the back of t-shirt - someone ever look into cafexpress.com???

fielder's choice
06-18-2006, 05:48 PM
If you didn't go to a game this weekend, trust me, Sox fans are just as obnoxious as Cubs fans. They are exactly the same, except they wear different jerseys to the park. They haven't won anything in 100 years and all of a sudden think they're God's gift to baseball. I guarantee 90% of the Sox "fans" there wouldn't have made the same trip last year.

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, it's the extra one I sold to you last year... [you wimp!] :D
They don't win..I'm trying to help the team :help:

chisox05
06-19-2006, 12:06 AM
If you didn't go to a game this weekend, trust me, Sox fans are just as obnoxious as Cubs fans. They are exactly the same, except they wear different jerseys to the park. They haven't won anything in 100 years and all of a sudden think they're God's gift to baseball. I guarantee 90% of the Sox "fans" there wouldn't have made the same trip last year.

You're right, they probably wouldn't. Winning a championship changes things entirely. They played well last year, but if it's only June, how do you know this isn't just another season? Some of you really just do not understand the Sox fan. They're not going to travel, or pay money to see bad baseball. If the product is good, we can travel with the best of them. If it's not, we can't even fill our own park.

I'm not just going to sit there and not cheer my team because I'm in a different park, what's the point of travelling then? Get up and get loud, drown us out. I would have no problem if Reds fans came to The Cell and cheered loudly for their team. What's the problem?

reds1869
06-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm not just going to sit there and not cheer my team because I'm in a different park, what's the point of travelling then? Get up and get loud, drown us out. I would have no problem if Reds fans came to The Cell and cheered loudly for their team. What's the problem?

Sox fans are certainly obnoxious, but I think chisox05 has a heck of a point. Reds fans do not cheer. I used to live in Cleveland and let me tell you we can not begin to match the Jake's atmosphere here. The fans are much rowdier and generally more into the game.

SteelSD
06-19-2006, 12:26 AM
You're right, they probably wouldn't. Winning a championship changes things entirely. They played well last year, but if it's only June, how do you know this isn't just another season? Some of you really just do not understand the Sox fan. They're not going to travel, or pay money to see bad baseball. If the product is good, we can travel with the best of them. If it's not, we can't even fill our own park.

I'd personally like to thank you for coming over and joining in the conversation. Your contribution was very classy from the get-go. The White Sox are an excellent team and basically took a sledgehammer to the Reds this weekend.

Please feel free to visit whenever you'd like.