PDA

View Full Version : SABR Members?

reds1869
06-17-2006, 06:22 PM
I just joined SABR for the first time. I was wondering how many other SABR members are on here and if they could tell me what publications have already shipped this year. I'd like to know what to look forward to. :)

indyred
06-17-2006, 06:36 PM
What does SABR stand for?

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Society for American Baseball Research

NastyBoy
06-17-2006, 06:38 PM
What does SABR stand for?

Soccer Association of Boca Raton :lol:

cincinnati chili
06-17-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm a member. Sandy D and Westofyou are members who did a presentation about Redland Field a few years ago when the convention was held in Cincy.

westofyou
06-17-2006, 07:25 PM
It's true I'm a member... our chapter is having the convention this year in Seattle. IIRC we have received a Canadian Themed Journal (Domino?) and just yesterday I got a copy of National Pastime.

No books this year so far.....

reds1869
06-17-2006, 07:32 PM
It's true I'm a member... our chapter is having the convention this year in Seattle. IIRC we have received a Canadian Themed Journal (Domino?) and just yesterday I got a copy of National Pastime.

No books this year so far.....

Thank you. I look forward to being a member, and hope to come to a convention in the future. One of my main reasons for joining was a lengthy email exchange with Susan Dellinger (author of the controversial Red Legs and Black Sox. She is very passionate about SABR and encouraged me to join.

westofyou
06-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Thank you. I look forward to being a member, and hope to come to a convention in the future. One of my main reasons for joining was a lengthy email exchange with Susan Dellinger (author of the controversial Red Legs and Black Sox. She is very passionate about SABR and encouraged me to join.
Susan is passionate, that's for sure. I've talked to her regarding some of the Reds pitchers who threw doctored balls back in the late teens. In fact Chip R (who also is a member of SABR) just sent me an autographed copy of her book... I haven't had the chance to dive in it just yet, but it looks good.

dabvu2498
06-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Oddly enough, I am an SABR member myself, mostly at the behest of one of my college profs. He was a member and I did quite a bit of baseball work in his seminar class my Jr. year. I honestly don't take the time to do a lot of the reading of their material as my work and family (and dogs) now dominates my life. I did go to the convention in Cincy 2 years ago, mostly to see my old prof.

savafan
06-17-2006, 10:30 PM
How does one become a SABR member?

dabvu2498
06-17-2006, 10:33 PM
How does one become a SABR member?
Online at www.sabr.org $165 for a 3 year membership or $60 annually.

PS: www.sabr.com is an Islamic educational site. Unless you want Homeland Security at your door, stay away.

savafan
06-17-2006, 10:48 PM

PS: www.sabr.com is an Islamic educational site. Unless you want Homeland Security at your door, stay away.

Thanks for the info...and the warning.

vaticanplum
06-18-2006, 03:15 AM

You get a discount if you're under 30. it's well, well worth it to be a member, great information that in this day and age of information overload is genuinely hard to find anywhere else.

I am a member, but I haven't gotten anything since I moved almost a year ago...crap...really need to get on that updating thing...

Newman4
06-18-2006, 10:12 AM
You get a discount if you're under 30. it's well, well worth it to be a member, great information that in this day and age of information overload is genuinely hard to find anywhere else.

I am a member, but I haven't gotten anything since I moved almost a year ago...crap...really need to get on that updating thing...

How much of a discount? I'm slightly under 30 :)

reds1869
06-18-2006, 11:05 AM
How much of a discount? I'm slightly under 30 :)

$20 off the regular rate. So my rate was $40 for being under 30.

dougflynn23
06-18-2006, 02:59 PM
:( I joined while in college and have maintained my membership over the years, but to be honest I find the Cincinnati chapter to be disappionting. They desperately need a website and some efforts in the area of publicity, and they need to be a little more interactive when younger people make an effort to attend their meetings. I actually go to Indianapolis meetings.

ramp101
06-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Soccer Association of Boca Raton :lol:
*played in that league for about 10 years*