PDA

View Full Version : Rick White DFA'ed - Standridge called up

Reds4Life
06-18-2006, 04:08 PM
George just mentioned it on the post game show.

redsfan4445
06-18-2006, 04:09 PM
we posted the same time.. go ahead and delete mine

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Finally.

Althought I have to think that White was better then what Burns is gonna do.

Matt700wlw
06-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Good

redsfan4445
06-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Finally.

Althought I have to think that White was better then what Burns is gonna do.

Burns should be let go too today...

Reds Fanatic
06-18-2006, 04:11 PM
It's about time for this move. I would guess maybe Belisle will come up to take his spot.

ddrone
06-18-2006, 04:14 PM
He needs to take Burns with him.Worst bullpen the reds have had in years.
It's time to clean house with the pen.Their has to be a few arms out there better then these two.Of course if everyone goes from the pen that stinks,we would only be left with Coffey and Weathers.

savafan
06-18-2006, 04:15 PM
I had to run and check the calendar to see if today was my birthday.

Nope, but this makes a nice gift for my dad.

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Now to be a downer, but this means Burns takes over the "middle relief" role that White had.

Traded a kick in the knee to a kick in the gut.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Maybe the Reds claimed a pitcher off waivers.

Reds Fanatic
06-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Now to be a downer, but this means Burns takes over the "middle relief" role that White had.

Traded a kick in the knee to a kick in the gut.
I don't see how they can justify keeping Burns around either. Burns is now up here for the 3rd time and he has been a disaster every time.

WVRedsFan
06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
It's about time for this move. I would guess maybe Belisle will come up to take his spot.

I don't want him either. I want no one from this organization. Nobody! I want to get rid of a catcher and a infielder and get some real bullpen help. Anything's better than a bullpen that has given up 214 hits in 173 innings and allowed 103 runs--that's near a run an inning. Every time they pitch an inning they give up 1.2 hits and .43 runs. Is there a bullpen worse in the majors? Like Marty, i don't know, but it's hard to imagine.

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't see how they can justify keeping Burns around either. Burns is now up here for the 3rd time and he has been a disaster every time.
He knows how to win?

Or some other crap like that :help:

flyer85
06-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Needs to crowd about three more guys on the back of his bike

Wheelhouse
06-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Needs to crowd about three more guys on the back of his bike

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry:

Petitt33
06-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Maybe Standridge is being promoted? he's been doing a decent job down at Louisville and I think he deserves a shot.

CTA513
06-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Dont expect anything special:

NEW YORK -- So I guess the bullpen did it again, huh? Some more changes have to be forthcoming there, beyond today's postgame news: Rick White designated for assignment and Jason Standridge's contract being purchased from Louisville.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

:/

flyer85
06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Maybe the Reds claimed a pitcher off waivers.maybe Belisle

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Belisle is probably the Burns replacement.

jmcclain19
06-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, at this point the Reds are just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Time for a full cleaning house.

Burns, White, Mercker, Hammond, Weathers. As far as I'm concerned they've all been dogs for most of the season. Standridge and Belisle aren't going to make any difference. Time for some fresh blood.

I'd say, go to a four man rotation, keep Mays, Claussen when he gets back and Belisle around to eat up the innings, so that the Reds can have a 6IP starting pitching staff and get away with it.

Gallen5862
06-18-2006, 05:34 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m06/d18/c1512312.jsp
White's Reds stint to come to an end
06/18/2006 5:10 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reliever Rick White's dream has ended.
Following Sunday's 8-1 loss to the White Sox, White learned he will be designated for assignment by the Reds on Monday. The club has 10 days to trade or release the veteran right-hander, or it could send him outright to the Minors.

White often struggled while working the middle innings this season and was 1-0 with a 6.26 ERA in 26 games. General manager Wayne Krivsky said he would do what he could to deal the pitcher to another club.

The Reds are looking to beef up a bullpen that has scuffled this season. It posted a 6.75 ERA during the just concluded 2-8 homestand.

Cincinnati will call up right-hander Jason Standridge from Triple-A Louisville to replace White on the roster. He will be with the team when it opens a four-game series Monday against the Mets at Shea Stadium.

The 37-year-old White is a lifelong resident of Springfield, Ohio, located 80 miles northeast of Cincinnati, and grew up a Reds fan.

After he pitched for nine other Major League organizations, White was signed to a one-year, $600,000 contract on Feb. 1 by former interim GM Brad Kullman.

During Spring Training, White called pitching for a Reds "a dream come true."

In 27 1/3 innings, White gave up 34 hits, including five homers. Opposing batters hit .318 against him and .371 with runners in scoring position.

"I know Rick White has always wanted to pitch here," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Just in the role he was in, with the numbers he had, we've got to do everything we can to try and get better and get some guys in here that can pitch in winning situations."

Standridge is 2-2 with a 2.62 ERA and two saves in 29 games with Louisville and has a 1.23 ERA over his last 22 innings. The 27-year-old posted a 4.06 ERA in 32 relief appearances for Cincinnati last season and was sent outright to Louisville during Spring Training.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

alexad
06-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Standridge did a pretty decent job last year in the pen and I was kinda of surprised he was sent down instead of releasing someone earlier in the year.

I would say Burns is next to go and sometime you have to call up Wagner to see if he can ever make it up here. He can throw some heat, we just do not knowwhere it is going to land.

GOREDSGO32
06-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Wow .. I hope this doesn't stop the Bats momentum. I would like to have the team here with a chance to WIN a pennant keep their players instead of going into that craphole bullpen. Send Mercker, Yan, Burns out too.

SeeinRed
06-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Well, at this point the Reds are just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Time for a full cleaning house.

Burns, White, Mercker, Hammond, Weathers. As far as I'm concerned they've all been dogs for most of the season. Standridge and Belisle aren't going to make any difference. Time for some fresh blood.

I'd say, go to a four man rotation, keep Mays, Claussen when he gets back and Belisle around to eat up the innings, so that the Reds can have a 6IP starting pitching staff and get away with it.

The four man rotation reminds me too much of Bob Boone. I don't think it could work with this rotation, especially with Ramirez being such an unknown. Plus that means MORE work for the bullpen. Yikes.

LINEDRIVER
06-18-2006, 10:34 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m06/d18/c1512312.jsp

Standridge is 2-2 with a 2.62 ERA and two saves in 29 games with Louisville and has a 1.23 ERA over his last 22 innings. The 27-year-old posted a 4.06 ERA in 32 relief appearances for Cincinnati last season and was sent outright to Louisville during Spring Training.

A 1.23 ERA over his last 22 innings? What took so long to get him up here? You mean he could of been up here at least a couple weeks ago?

Sea Ray
06-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Krivsky is going to eventually find that he'll have to go to AA to find any real help for this bullpen and I'm afraid when he figures this out it'll be too late. Sure Standridge, if we're lucky, will be an upgrade over White but that's nothing to brag about. Why is Krivsky leaving a 24 year old who is 100% in save situations in AA? (David Shaffer)

Far East
06-18-2006, 11:12 PM
A 1.23 ERA over his last 22 innings? What took so long to get him up here? You mean he could of been up here at least a couple weeks ago?
Then he should have been brought up instead of Burns. It's all relative, but White is better than Burns IMHO. They felt that they had to release somebody, but I say that released the wrong guy.

savafan
06-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey doom and gloomers,

You are all forgetting that Burns is younger than White, and that Burns has a 1.27 ERA in 28.1 innings with a WHIP of 0.99 at Louisville...yet he must be worthless, so let's just get rid of him now, no matter how well he's looked lately.

:bang:

LINEDRIVER
06-18-2006, 11:18 PM
I just read a piece on Standridge on the Louisville Bats website. In the month of May he threw 12 1/3 innings in 11 appearances and allowed ZERO earned runs.

KronoRed
06-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey doom and gloomers,

You are all forgetting that Burns is younger than White, and that Burns has a 1.27 ERA in 28.1 innings with a WHIP of 0.99 at Louisville...yet he must be worthless, so let's just get rid of him now, no matter how well he's looked lately.

He can't seem to get major leaguers our without giving up runs first, the Bats can have him back.

KoryMac5
06-19-2006, 01:27 AM
I can't remember seeing so many ballplayers on an opening day roster DFA'd. I'd like to say that the bullpen is our only problem but it isn't. The Reds have been thoroughly outplayed in this homestand in every aspect of the game. Hopefully Wayne has his checklist ready.

redsmetz
06-19-2006, 05:37 AM
I can't remember seeing so many ballplayers on an opening day roster DFA'd. I'd like to say that the bullpen is our only problem but it isn't. The Reds have been thoroughly outplayed in this homestand in every aspect of the game. Hopefully Wayne has his checklist ready.

It seems to me that all the players DFA'd is a sad reminder of the awful legacy of Dan O'Brien's reign.

Redhook
06-19-2006, 08:30 AM
It seems to me that all the players DFA'd is a sad reminder of the awful legacy of Dan O'Brien's reign.

I wonder what DanO thinks when he reads about all of these players are beind DFA'd? I think it's comical. Player after player getting thrown to the curb. I love it. Players are finally being held accountable for either under-performing or not taking management seriously and showing up under-prepared (Hancock...although it'd be nice to have him now, but I like the principle of it). It'll take some time to turn this mess Dano created around, but atleast it's happening.

Ltlabner
06-19-2006, 08:41 AM

Great point. We are not even a full 6 months out of the era of DanO so we are still cleaning up his mess and the damage he did. Also, as others have pointed out, we are still dealing with the harm Marge and Jimmy B did to the farm system also. To expect BC and The Kriv to come in, make a few quick trades and undo all that damage is completley un-realistic.

On another topic, I'm not saying that bringing the likes of Castro, Yan and Mayes will cure all of our problems, but when you have a limited budget, and you are trying to get competitive both in the short-term and for the long-term you have to take chances on some marginal guys to see if they fit into the puzzle and can provide something. More often than not, those chances don't work out, but you can't expect ownership to go out and make 15 block-buster trades in a few months and completey revamp the team.

I'm not one for these "5 year rebuilding plans" but on the other hand, you can't undo years of neglect and abuse in a few short months.

WVRedsFan
06-19-2006, 09:50 AM

Except it quicker and to the point. The message it out there...perform or good bye. No more crying from the dugout when someone gets traded or released. No criticism of every front office or managerial move. Kind of refreshing, if you ask me.

Danny Serafini
06-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey doom and gloomers,

Mike Burns is the stereotypical AAAA player. He's looked good against minor leaguers, but every time he's been up he gets destroyed.

BuckWoody
06-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Mike Burns is the stereotypical AAAA player. He's looked good against minor leaguers, but every time he's been up he gets destroyed.
I wonder how he'd do versus Brandon Larson then? :)

Dunner44
06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Finally!!!!!!! No more tractor boy!

dabvu2498
06-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Finally!!!!!!! No more tractor boy!
What??? LaRue is gone too???

Dunner44
06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
What??? LaRue is gone too???

If only LaRue would be rid of as easily

Chip R
06-19-2006, 02:56 PM

Yeah, but White was one of Kullman's pickups. It does seem that Wayne is systematically cleansing the organization of DanO's pickups save for the Lizard, Germano and Chick. I know if I were in the Reds organization now and was acquired by DanO, I wouldn't be putting down any roots.

hammer
06-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I agree just getting rid of White is not enough, the reds need a great deal of bullpen help. There is no way we can compete as long as the bullpen is this pathetic.

KronoRed
06-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I wonder how he'd do versus Brandon Larson then? :)
Matter and anti matter

Universe ends.

smith288
06-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Hey doom and gloomers,

No offense but this aint Louisville. And Burns MLB numbers reflect that pretty well.

In fact, he has avg'd 2.8 hits per inning and has not held an opponent hitless yet.

Heath
06-19-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty convinced that Mike Burns should join Brandon Larson in a AAAA-All Star game.