PDA

View Full Version : I went to the game today... a complaint I have

GitRDunn
06-18-2006, 07:19 PM
I went to the game today, and I have a complaint about the Reds team unity or lack thereof.

During the singing of the National Anthem, all White Sox players were already on the field, and standing at attention honoring the flag. On the other hand, there were only maybe a half-dozen Reds players on the field at the same time. There may have been a few out in the bullpen, but most everyone, including the coaching staff, was still in the clubhouse.

Now, does this tell us anything about why the Reds were swept this weekend by the national champions? Granted, the White Sox talent is so much more superior than the Reds that a sweep should have been expected. However, if you want to be successful, you need to do everything as a team, including being on the field in time for the National Anthem. Perhaps that is why the White Sox are the national champions... everything is done as a team.

westofyou
06-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Now, does this tell us anything about why the Reds were swept this weekend by the national champions?I'll bite.

No?

Blimpie
06-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Let me get this straight...you think the Reds were swept by the defending "National" Series Champs this weekend because they were not patriotic enough?

That can only mean that the Reds bullpen must be Marxist rebel sympathizers.

wheels
06-18-2006, 08:54 PM
:laugh:

Leave no stone unturned in our search for the truth.

saboforthird
06-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Guys, I don't think he was SAYING that the Reds lost because they aren't patriotic, but I can definitely see where one would get the impression that the Reds do not have cohesion.

johngalt
06-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Some of the most successful teams in baseball have divisive and cliqueish clubhouses. It's nowhere near as important in baseball as it is in other sports such as basketball, football, etc. Everyone just makes a big deal about chemistry when a team like the Red Sox seems to be one big happy family - forgetting that they had one of the bigger malcontents in the game (Manny Ramirez) in the clubhouse.

lucky bugle boy
06-18-2006, 09:26 PM
When I was at the game Saturday, I did notice that not very many of the Reds were on the field during the anthem, and I was thinking that not long after Narron took over as manager he encouraged the guys to 'participate' in the National Anthem. It seems like I noticed more of the players out in the past. FWIW.

RedsBaron
06-18-2006, 09:45 PM
We'd better shoot them now, just to be safe.

dman
06-18-2006, 10:04 PM
I think the Reds need more patriotism. A good 'ole fashion American kick in the rear end to get them on the right track will do just fine.

billy117
06-18-2006, 10:33 PM

I thought that was assumed. The Reds bullpeners are the communists of MLB, they level the playing field by giving up runs to teams who don't score off good pitchers.

TeamBoone
06-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I assume you're referring to all but the starters as they are ALWAYS in their positions on the field during the national anthem.

As Jerry Narron is such a proponent of leading by example, perhaps he should start participating instead of encouraging. Perhaps the mandate that was put into place by Reds management about five years ago should be reinstated because it does reflect badly on the team.

I do not, however, believe it sends the statement that this team is not a "cohesive unit".

I do plan to pay more attention to this during those rare instances that they actually show the field during the National anthem, because I'm wondering if they do this when they are visiting other ballparks.

Heck, I'm even wondering if they do this all the time at home or if today was a fluke. I've honestly never noticed it.

savafan
06-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Maybe RCast should change the team name to the Cincinnati Reds Whites and Blues. :D

chisox05
06-18-2006, 11:05 PM
During the singing of the National Anthem, all White Sox players were already on the field, and standing at attention honoring the flag. On the other hand, there were only maybe a half-dozen Reds players on the field at the same time. There may have been a few out in the bullpen, but most everyone, including the coaching staff, was still in the clubhouse.

I wouldn't say you could get much from that. That's one of Ozzie's few rules; when the singing of the National Anthem is occurring, everyone needs to be out on the field and respecting the flag. If it wasn't a rule, not everyone would probably be out there.

But I will say that team is everything with these guys. Same thing last year, and the same this year. They have actually cut/traded guys if they were not about team.

The Reds have a lot of talent, and they have far surpassed my expectations already this year. I'm not trying to sing to the chorus here, but they're a starter or two, and a bullpen away from being a fierce competitor. Defense is something that comes with hardwork, and dedication, I'm sure your guys can pick that up pretty fast, they're good athletes.

Good luck the rest of the season, hopefully your bullpen can pull it together (bullpens are so inconsistent, it's hard to keep a solid one together), and you will make the playoffs. Reds fans are the same as Sox fans in a lot of ways. They don't whine and complain, just go about their business quietly and respectfully. I respect that in anyone, and I hope you guys are in the postseason this year, and if not this year, you guys have a real shot next year.

I'm sure my Sox will do their best to knock around the Cards this week. Just do one thing, stop losing to the Cubs, because then all I hear all day on the radio is how the Cubs are headed to the World Series. Amazing, isn't it?

Caveat Emperor
06-19-2006, 04:18 AM
However, if you want to be successful, you need to do everything as a team

Just as long as Ryan Freel isn't driving.

KronoRed
06-19-2006, 04:19 AM
I volunteer :evil:

Red Taylor
06-19-2006, 09:58 AM
This thread is a example of why I don't post much. A new poster starts a good thread and right away posters from the other board make fun of his post. That happens all the time on here.

traderumor
06-19-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread is a example of why I don't post much. A new poster starts a good thread and right away posters from the other board make fun of his post. That happens all the time on here.This thread is an example of why there is the reputation system. But OK, I'll apply the logic of the post starting this thread.

My wife called me, a coach, on my cell phone during the playing of the national anthem at my son's little league game yesterday and I took the call. We couldn't field, pitch or hit and lost 15-3. Wait until I get home tonight and tell her it was all her fault we got stomped.

reds1869
06-19-2006, 10:49 AM
This thread is a example of why I don't post much. A new poster starts a good thread and right away posters from the other board make fun of his post. That happens all the time on here.

You know, I've made plenty of posts and not been made fun of. I don't think that the mythical RedsZone Ten has it in for newbies like everyone says. This is a public forum. If you make a silly post, you better put on your flame suit. That's just reality. If you make good, solid, points no one will crack on you. But if you blame Adam Dunn's fielding woes on a Voodoo priestess, then yes, you'll get called out.

Roy Tucker
06-19-2006, 10:53 AM
I've noticed in the NBA finals that all the players stand with hand over their heart during the National Anthem. Which I wonder how they feel since a goodly number aren't from the US.

Narron mentioned this last year. From the 7/4/2005 Post...

http://edit.cincypost.gannettonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050704/SPT05/507040364/1027

STAR-SPANGLED SUGGESTION - For each of the last two days, Reds players have stood at attention outside the dugout and the bullpen for the playing of the national anthem on the suggestion of Narron.

Narron said he didn't make it a rule, but he did remind the players of the anthem's significance.

"I brought it to their memory that we have people in Iraq and Afghanistan that are basically putting their lives on the line every day," Narron said. "It's not too much to ask to honor these guys with two minutes of your time.

"I just believe that. I believe we have a great country. Even if you don't agree with the policies of our administration, you should still honor these guys who are in the military."

Narron said he's made sure he and the players are informed of what time the anthem will be played before each game.

"It's meaningful to me," he said. "I have a lot of respect for what's going on. I wouldn't want to be in a Humvee in Baghdad or a helicopter over Afghanistan."

Publication date: 07-04-2005

TStuck
06-19-2006, 11:01 AM

OMG we've got another Red Scare on our hands....The other team even had "McCarthy" in their bullpen!!!:D